PDA

View Full Version : most insane league moment

driven
08-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Mine was in the apa,long time ago. My brother was a captain and asked me to join up so I did. I think I lasted 2 sessions. Anyway it is about 11:30pm 35 minutes from home Monday night. We all had work in the morning and no one really wanted to be there much later than it already was. he puts up one of our girls who I think is a 3, maybe a 2, or whatever the lowest number is. The other team puts up their girl, same number as ours. both girls had been playing pretty good and were afraid their handicap was going up. It was 8 ball, race to 2 I think. Both were trying to NOT WIN. The match lasted about 90 minute and was excruciating to watch. In the final game both girls were on the 8 and our girl rolls the 8 right up to the corner pocket, cue ball only 5-6 inches away, and the other one calls time out to ask their captain what to do! I was beside myself and said "just give it to her" and she does. I think she said You win, you are not going to miss that. and they shook hands.
I was gone in about 2 minutes. The night was complete agony and one of my last in the league.
steven

Maniac
08-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Mine was in the apa,long time ago. My brother was a captain and asked me to join up so I did. I think I lasted 2 sessions. Anyway it is about 11:30pm 35 minutes from home Monday night. We all had work in the morning and no one really wanted to be there much later than it already was. he puts up one of our girls who I think is a 3, maybe a 2, or whatever the lowest number is. The other team puts up their girl, same number as ours. both girls had been playing pretty good and were afraid their handicap was going up. It was 8 ball, race to 2 I think. Both were trying to NOT WIN. The match lasted about 90 minute and was excruciating to watch. In the final game both girls were on the 8 and our girl rolls the 8 right up to the corner pocket, cue ball only 5-6 inches away, and the other one calls time out to ask their captain what to do! I was beside myself and said "just give it to her" and she does. I think she said You win, you are not going to miss that. and they shook hands.
I was gone in about 2 minutes. The night was complete agony and one of my last in the league.
steven

There should have been a note written at the bottom of BOTH scoresheets inferring sandbagging. If there wasn't, you nor anyone on your team should ever complain about it (sandbagging) again. If you're not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem ;) !!!

Maniac

driven
08-11-2008, 03:53 PM
There should have been a note written at the bottom of BOTH scoresheets inferring sandbagging. If there wasn't, you nor anyone on your team should ever complain about it (sandbagging) again. If you're not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem ;) !!!

Maniac
Don't preach that s--- to me. the problem is the league itself and I for one do not care to be part of the solution. If you play apa, enjoy! I'm just saying it is not for me.
steven

jrt30004
08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Don't preach that s--- to me. the problem is the league itself and I for one do not care to be part of the solution. If you play apa, enjoy! I'm just saying it is not for me.
steven

i don't know how long ago you're talking about but now they have time limits posted in the rule book. you get about 30 seconds for a regular shot, 45 for a difficult one and one minute for a time out. the problem is not the league - it's the players. it was right there in the original post - they were affraid thier handicaps would rise. i would have let it go for about two shots after that announce the players were being timed. blow the limit and the other player gets ball in hand. it's that simple. it tends to stop after they give ball in hand once or twice. it also eliminates the sandbagging aspect of this dilema. and i know this can happen - i just watched a team blow a shot at vegas by playing slow. in the higher level tourneys you get a time limit for the match and once you pass it you no longer play races - each player plays one game - that's it.

MikeM
08-11-2008, 04:08 PM

Maniac

Anyone who would sit there for 90 minutes and let that go on is what gives leagues a bad name.

MM

westcoast
08-11-2008, 04:18 PM
most insane moment for me happened at Raes Lounge on the westside of LA a few years back. I was getting ready to shoot when my stick got caught on the bar and I fouled five balls all at once. :eek:

It took some time to figure out what the next course of action would be because I didn't actually foul the cue ball (we play cue ball fouls only). However, it was determined that contact with other multiple balls is a foul.:(

I was just happy I didn't have to forfeit the game. Funny thing is that I can't remember if I won the match or not :)

DelaWho???
08-11-2008, 05:11 PM
1st session in the APA I am a consumate banger, just learning the game, inconsistent sl3. I get put up against an sl2, so it's a 3-2 race. I was at the point in developement where I could make 1 or 2 balls regularly before blowing it and missing. The lady I was playing was just slamming the balls around and every time I got to the table it was completely rearranged and I had no clear shot ( :rolleyes: I'm an sl3)
36 that's right 36 painful innings later it was over and I had won 3-1 (I scratched on the 8 in the loss) 4 racks 36 innings :rolleyes: I know it was painful for the rest of the team to watch, I can't imagine what it would have been like for me if I had lost...

:cool:

alstl
08-11-2008, 06:35 PM
90 minutes? Why didn't they just scratch on the 8 ball and get it over with?

enlightphoto
08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Not exactly mine, but I witnessed what happened to a teammate this last spring in my Northern California BCA league; shooting a long slow roll across the table on the 8. Just as he completes his final warm-up stroke and connects with cue, a decent little earthquake hits. He missed, and lost the game because of it. Sure, he mighta missed w/o the quake, but the temblor pretty much guaranteed the miss. You could literally see the 8 zig-zag down table. Wish I had it on video...

Johnson
08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
was playing an apa match and heard a loud boom, a car had crashed right into the side of the tavern, everyone goes outside to look but my captain tells me i can't because i might get forfeited, no 1 got hurt and it didn't do a lot of damage to the building, there was some kids playing earlier on the sidewalk luckily they were long gone
________

Gregg
08-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm surprised that nobody has talked about low skill APA matches that took over an hour and a half for a race to two or three when shooters are really trying to win.

I'm talking about averaging over 14 innings per game. Some higher. It was painful, and I really didn't care who won on either team at that point. It was a frigging joke, and a late night for both teams.

Sorry, but for me, games like that are not what leage play is about.

pooltchr
08-12-2008, 03:24 AM
I hate to have to score a race between two sl2 players. My mind wanders, and every few minutes we (scorekeepers) verify innings. " You got 8? No, I have 7, but I probably missed one. OK, whatever"

Steve

lowcel
08-12-2008, 04:16 AM
I guess the one I remember the most was about ten years ago when we were shooting a make up game against a team that nobody really liked to shoot, not the most friendly guys around. I had a shot where the two balls were frozen. I got my angle, hiked the stick and shot. The guy called a foul on me, said I shot a 40 degree angle, not a 45 degree angle. Everyone there ended up arguing over that petty call.

DelaWho???
08-12-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has talked about low skill APA matches that took over an hour and a half for a race to two or three when shooters are really trying to win.

I'm talking about averaging over 14 innings per game. Some higher. It was painful, and I really didn't care who won on either team at that point. It was a frigging joke, and a late night for both teams.

Sorry, but for me, games like that are not what leage play is about.

Did you read my post? 36 innings (16 innings in one rack :eek: ) for an sl2 sl3 match? I was trying my heart out to win that match. It was the most painful pool experience I have had to date... Fortunately I learned how to play some since then...

:cool:

stevea
08-12-2008, 05:31 AM
I have been playing APA for more then 5 years and I for one like it, there are a lot of good players around here so it's fun for me. Here is a story from last May at our City Tournament to go to vegas:

First let me set the stage, it was Sunday (day 2 of our city tournament). It was the quarter finals so if we pass this round and the next then we go to vegas (because the 2 teams in the finals both get spots to vegas). As for this round we were up 2-1 and my 6 was also playing another 6 so it was a 5-5 race, the other guy was up 3-1.

Then all the drama started. He started to play really really slowly, playing a safe on every shot, even when he had ball in hand, he would play another safe shot. 20 safes in one game. The whole reason for this was because there 5th player was playing on the table next to ours and if my guy would have lost real fast then they would have had to forfeit the last match. So he played like this the whole time and I was getting pissed. I told my player to hit the 8ball in twice so they would have to forfeit the last match.

After my guy hit the first 8ball in on purpose (right after the break, which was kinda funny), the League operator stopped play on both tables and called us in the office and ripped everyone a new one!! then after that we started play again and they kept doing the same thing and the league operator (whoever was running the tournament) said he couldn't do anything about it. Then the guy on the next table won and then this guy here won and I had to play there 5th player sudden death. My match he missed a safe shot by not hitting it hard enough, so nothing hit a rail. It was ball in hand with 5 balls on the table and I was out. We won and won the next round to go to Vegas that we leave for this sunday!

stevea
08-12-2008, 05:38 AM
One more story (a good one as well)...

My first session on my 8ball team about 5 years ago, we won and we went to the city tournament. I was an APA 4 at the time. First round we had a bye and then about 4 or so hours later we started the second round. We lost the first two matches and had to play our two best players next to get the wins. This whole time our two best players were playing the other teams 7 was sitting next to me (not knowing who i am) and he was talking a lot of crap about my team and he was really talking himself up, about how he is called the closer and is the best player there, he has never lost in the city tournament in the 10 years etc. etc. He told me that this team is dumb cause now they have no one good to play against him! So now it's 2-2 and the team who wins this next match goes on and comes back to play on Sunday, I have to go up and he went up of course so it's a 5-2 race. At this time we were the last match playing so everyone was watching (a lot of people come to watch him play) I won the first game in one inning and then the next game I banked the last 3 balls in, including a full table bank on the 8ball to win that game in two innings. That 8ball was in slow motion and I can hear my teammates yell get in the hole. I turned to him to shake his hand as my team was running at me going all crazy. It was awesome! For me being a SL4 it was like something out of a movie. We ended up losing on Sunday but our captain has a lot to do with that, lets just say that the captain didn't play on our team anymore after that cities.

westcoast
08-12-2008, 08:50 AM
I hate to have to score a race between two sl2 players. My mind wanders, and every few minutes we (scorekeepers) verify innings. " You got 8? No, I have 7, but I probably missed one. OK, whatever"

Steve
In the league I play in here in West LA, innings aren't scored. All that matters are who won, if the there was an 8 Ball on break, if there was a table run, or if somebody got honor roll (winning all four of one's matches for the night)

Balabushka
08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
All but 3 of our teamates disapeared this summer, and we had forfeit many matches. I wonder if they have a patch for most forfeits?

easy-e
08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
This might count as a league story, you tell me. Either way it's HILARIOUS!

Last week I went to the Million Dollar Tourney to hang out with the TAR guys since I'm only two hours away. Myself, Justin, Dave (SpiderWebbComm), and John Schmidt were all having a drink at the hotel bar. After finishing we walk out towards the lobby and John decided to find out what time the airport shuttle was leaving the next morning. He had his cue with him since he was fresh off of torturing some banger 11 straight one pocket games in a row. A man is leaving the hotel and notices John's case. The following conversation (pretty close anyways) occured:

Guy: Is there a pool tournament here or something? (with no idea of who he is talking to)
John: Yep, downstairs in the convention center.
Guy: I play a little myself, I'm an 8 in the APA.
John: Really!? That's great. It's a little bit out of my league though. Wanna stick around and gamble a little? (John's being extremely friendly to the guy, knowing that he isn't going to get played.)

At the point where we realize the guy isn't going to play Justin chimes in with "You know this guy won the 2006 US Open?".

Guy: Really? Well my team went to Vegas THREE years in a row! Of course we always get bumped out of the tournament just before the TV rounds.

We all had a pretty good laugh about that conversation.

lspyderll
08-12-2008, 09:44 AM
This one happened a couple years ago to my team.

My 9ball team was in the last playoff match after the regular session, winner goes to the local team championships to try to make it to Vegas. Well, it was a skl 4 to 5 race, the winner of the final match wins the night, both players only needs a few balls to win, our opponent screws up shape, leaves himself a really hard cut shot or a hard bank, he calls time out. The coach comes up, looks at the table, tells the shooter to step away so he can call some up to discuss what to do. While they are discussing the shooter turns around and ask one of his team mates to get him a coke, "FOUL" was yelled really loud by our team captain. Our captain says "you cant talk to anyone while you're in a time out, its a foul" they all looked at him in disbelief, bowed their heads called him an a-hole and gave up the foul. Our guy ran out the last few balls he needed. We win, they were all pissed at our captain. And we dont even make it to Vegas.

Our captain was always known to be kind of an ass, but that was just icing on the cake, he made a lot of enemies buy calling that cheap foul.