PDA

View Full Version : If I buy a Predator cue ....

WilleeCue
08-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Will I play like a god?

I see their banner ad on the home page at AZB wants me to think that.
Not knocking Predator cues ... just their sales tactics.
Would ANY other cue maker suggest such a claim?

If they are willing to back that up with a guarantee then send me two just in case the first one is defective.
:rotflmao1:
I will sell all my cue making machinery and become a road player.

JoeyInCali
08-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Will I play like a god?

If they are willing to back that up with a guarantee then send me two just in case the first one is defective.
One maker guaranteed 25% improvement in your game.
He also guaranteed 120-day delivery.

thomba02
08-11-2008, 06:42 PM
i think their ads are awesome...i mean, thats how they generate so much business. i'm sure plenty of people have tried predators at one point or another.

i also think that the people who play with it now, who are top level players, have gotten used to their product, therefore making it harder to adjust to something else after putting years of practice in on a predator.

its the same for those who don't use predators and grew up on regular maple shafts.

Fuji-whopper
08-12-2008, 05:37 AM
And do you REALLY think if you buy Axe body spray you will be attacked by women? Or if you chew a certain gum women will come up to you and kiss you deeply to taste it?

It's marketing, learn it live it love it.

lowcel
08-12-2008, 05:52 AM
And do you REALLY think if you buy Axe body spray you will be attacked by women? Or if you chew a certain gum women will come up to you and kiss you deeply to taste it?

So are you saying I can go back to chewing juicy fruit and using degree deodorant?

Oddball
08-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Oh damn. And I bought tampons so I could go swimming and horseback riding and do other neat things I wasn't able to do before.

Fuji-whopper
08-12-2008, 06:09 AM
Oh damn. And I bought tampons so I could go swimming and horseback riding and do other neat things I wasn't able to do before.

That's douching, you are all mixed up!!

mosconiac
08-12-2008, 06:11 AM
...have gotten used to their product, therefore making it harder to adjust to something else after putting years of practice in on a predator...
I don't buy into that thought that once you "get used" to a predator (or any low deflection shaft for that matter) that you are forever changed.

I've been using 314's since somewhere around 1995 and there was an instance where I put them up for a while. I sent my cue in for refinish and I decided to just use bar cues until it returned. Well, it's a Schon and we all know that their refinsih process takes a lloonngg time...10 weeks to be exact.

Within a very short time I was acclimated to those bar cues and I could grab any out of the barrel and play effectively with it...far beyond my expectations. If you can put down a 314 in favor of a bar cue, I would say there is no lasting assimilation.

skor
08-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Will I play like a god?

The people that will go for that add because they think it'll make their game godlike will never look at a custom cue... it's part of what define them as bangers....

Neil is right, it's marketing.... I don't see you complain about adds that show a girl in a bikini sitting on a hood of a car to sell tires....

BTW, I got my first Predator cue back in 1998 after I saw an add in a magazine, I was intrigued buy the technology that was put into the cue.
I don't regret it :cool:

jongreve
08-12-2008, 06:33 AM
So are you saying I can go back to chewing juicy fruit and using degree deodorant?

I'd reccomend DoubleMint

Man I miss those ads

stikapos
08-12-2008, 06:37 AM
There is no doubt that there is a benefit to them, but not anywhere close to that represented, that's for sure. After years and years of resisting, I finally dived in. I can still go back and forth between regular and 314 without a whole lot of problems.

tim

Fuji-whopper
08-12-2008, 06:42 AM
If you only played with a high or low deflection shaft you wouldn't learn as much as if you played with both and were able to distiguish the differences in each. Each type of shaft has a definable list of pros and cons that has been discussed over the years ad nauseum, this forum is a great place for that information.

Variety is the spice of life and helps us learn what we like or what might benefit our situation the most.

JMW
08-12-2008, 06:48 AM
If I buy a custom cue... will I play like a God?

skor
08-12-2008, 06:52 AM
If I buy a custom cue... will I play like a God?

don't know BUT if you don't play with a Varney then you'll get beat by one... :grin-square:

Fuji-whopper
08-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Or you might get run over by a Buss, Jim Buss that is.

Charlie Edwards
08-12-2008, 07:48 AM
One maker guaranteed 25% improvement in your game.
He also guaranteed 120-day delivery.
Great! That's the cue I want and I'm ready to place the order. Do you think the maker would be OK with me paying for it all up-front? Who do I contact to get this cue started?

25% improvement and 120 day delivery, sounds almost too good to be true... but I'm going to give it a shot. I'm so excited!

Flex
08-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Great! That's the cue I want and I'm ready to place the order. Do you think the maker would be OK with me paying for it all up-front? Who do I contact to get this cue started?

25% improvement and 120 day delivery, sounds almost too good to be true... but I'm going to give it a shot. I'm so excited!

There was a thread with some guy who was plugging his cues like that, but something happened to it, and now it's locked!

Flex

Charlie Edwards
08-12-2008, 08:15 AM
There was a thread with some guy who was plugging his cues like that, but something happened to it, and now it's locked!

Flex
They probably locked it because so many cuemakers were jealous of his quick turnaround and reasonable prices and high quality work. That's the only reason I can think of for locking it. Just sheer jealousy.

poolplayer2093
08-12-2008, 08:15 AM
I don't buy into that thought that once you "get used" to a predator (or any low deflection shaft for that matter) that you are forever changed.

I've been using 314's since somewhere around 1995 and there was an instance where I put them up for a while. I sent my cue in for refinish and I decided to just use bar cues until it returned. Well, it's a Schon and we all know that their refinsih process takes a lloonngg time...10 weeks to be exact.

Within a very short time I was acclimated to those bar cues and I could grab any out of the barrel and play effectively with it...far beyond my expectations. If you can put down a 314 in favor of a bar cue, I would say there is no lasting assimilation.

since you say bar cue and not house cue i'm guessing you were playing in a bar in which case switching cues isn't going to effect your game too much. on a big table there are little things than sometimes need to be done to pocket certin shots that don't need to be done on a bar box. that could be why switching didn't effect your game too much

poolplayer2093
08-12-2008, 08:24 AM
They probably locked it because so many cuemakers were jealous of his quick turnaround and reasonable prices and high quality work. That's the only reason I can think of for locking it. Just sheer jealously.

HA! you guys are cold blooded!

asiasdad
08-12-2008, 08:54 AM
don't know BUT if you don't play with a Varney then you'll get beat by one... :grin-square:

I thought that slogan was changed to:

Once beat by a Varney, you'll never play with one :nono:

mnorwood
08-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Will I play like a god?

Since buying my predator I have not missed a shot.

hang-the-9
08-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Will I play like a god?

I think ALL cue makers try to make that claim. Look at the OB and Cuetec adds where they show Earl making cut shots on a moving ball and Mr. 400 reverse spinning off the rails.

If you buy a Ford Mustang you also learn how to do power drifts and handbrake turns as well.

JoeyA
08-12-2008, 10:08 AM
The only thing I really dislike about Predator's marketing is the way they are handling the P3 cue.
\
It's a shame that they don't even have a demo cue for you to try out, ANYWHERE.

They are urging people to buy this cue sight without even having a chance to test it out or even hold one in your hands. I think the ship date for the first set of cues is destined for October but I am kind of losing interest in them. I will probably order another 314-2 from Mike Bender because I am getting used to the low deflection shaft. You would think they would have some prototypes for you to hold or test but nooooooo.

JoeyA

Fuji-whopper
08-12-2008, 10:17 AM
The only thing I really dislike about Predator's marketing is the way they are handling the P3 cue.
\

JoeyA

Darrin at Predator loves that cue but even I haven't had much exposure to it and I live within 10 miles of the factory and they call me for feedback and testing. Sometimes companies will create a buzz long before a product comes out to try and produce a frenzy for a product before the actual release, it's pretty common actually.

It's frustrating to say the least, I am one for instant gratification and have no patience at all.

WilleeCue
08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I think ALL cue makers try to make that claim. Look at the OB and Cuetec adds where they show Earl making cut shots on a moving ball and Mr. 400 reverse spinning off the rails.

Showing skilled players actually doing something is a far cry from suggesting YOU will play like a GOD with their cue.
At least what they are doing can be done.

WilleeCue
08-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Sometimes companies will create a buzz long before a product comes out to try and produce a frenzy for a product before the actual release, it's pretty common actually.

Like Schon ?

Fuji-whopper
08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Like Schon ?

Never heard of Schon doing it, but I don't check their website or really hear about them coming out with anything new. The only thing I really know about Schon that is kind of fuzzy is not knowing how many SP's are made of a certain model, how can you not know how many you produced?

WilleeCue
08-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Neil is right, it's marketing.... I don't see you complain about adds that show a girl in a bikini sitting on a hood of a car to sell tires....

You are correct. I do not complain one bit :D

WilleeCue
08-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Charlie, I have been told that you already play like a god.

I think you are just trying to hustle some action.

WilleeCue
08-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Never heard of Schon doing it, but I don't check their website or really hear about them coming out with anything new. The only thing I really know about Schon that is kind of fuzzy is not knowing how many SP's are made of a certain model, how can you not know how many you produced?

Perhaps those in the know will offer up the real story about how Schon cues became so popular so fast.

And that is not intended to say anything bad about the quality or playability of the Schon cue.
We are talking just about marketing here, nothing more.

Fuji-whopper
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Ever since I started playing back in 1989 or so they have been popular and considered a great playing cue and above average. If you had money you had a Schon otherwise you started with a low model Meucci, Mali or McDermott. Even though those companies had high dollar cues it seemed that all Schons were expensive, even a basic was $550 or so which is closer to custom pricing than production.

JoeyInCali
08-12-2008, 10:42 PM

He might already have one in process and you can have it a lot sooner.
:thumbup: :eek: :frown:

ribdoner
08-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Will I play like a god?

YES, armed with a predator in conjunction with utilizing the "DEAD CRAB" aiming system at 69.69% of it's capability will make your dreams come true...

JoeyA
08-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Perhaps those in the know will offer up the real story about how Schon cues became so popular so fast.

And that is not intended to say anything bad about the quality or playability of the Schon cue.
We are talking just about marketing here, nothing more.

I really don't know much about Schon's marketing because I haven't really been exposed to it. But for over a decade, many people who play pool in the leagues and even some wannabee pool players who gamble in my area have simply liked the way Schon cues hit. Whatever that hit is, many people liked "that hit". I too kind of liked the hit of most Schon cues as well but have never owned one FWIW. I think I went from Palmer, to Joss, to Moore and finally to Bender. I have finally overcome the sound/feel hit of a 314-2 which I didn't like.. Initially I didn't like the way the hit feels but I think it is a perception problem rather than a performance problem so I just kind of worked my way through it.

JoeyA

!Smorgass Bored
08-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Charlie, you have to learn to seperate the Wheat from the crap.

*: Hello, can anyone help me understand what "separate the Wheat from the Crap" means? TKS.

SEPARATE THE WHEAT FROM THE CRAP - "Distinguish the wanted from the unwanted, the valuable from the relatively valueless. It is what one did literally in the ancient agricultural practice of winnowing, one form of which was to expose, say, Wheat to the wind so that the crap blew away and the grains remained.The thought appears metaphorically in the Bible, where John the Baptist, speaking of the one 'that cometh after me,' continues (Matthew 3:12) 'Whose fan is in his hand, and he will thoroughly purge his floor, and gather his Wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the crap with unquenchable fire.'." From "The Dictionary of Cliches" by James Rogers (Ballantine Books, New York, 1985).

Doug

hang-the-9
08-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Showing skilled players actually doing something is a far cry from suggesting YOU will play like a GOD with their cue.
At least what they are doing can be done.

You don't think that is exactly what they are suggesting? They are not showing you nice shots by a good player, they are showing them making those shots using their equipment. Of-course they don't put out things like "you will not make this shot unless you use an OB shaft" but they are sure as heck trying to make you think that without putting it in writing.

bigshooter
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Cost to manufacture a cue stick in China: $40.00

Cost to market that pool cue to the world: $ 1,000,000

Selling those $40.00 Chinese cue sticks to the entire world for $1000.00 apiece: Priceless

For everything else there's a hand made custom.

skor
08-13-2008, 11:20 AM
The thing with marketing and hypes is that they don't last long if there isn't a good product behind it.
Predator have been around for over a decade and they are just growing every year.

BTW, take a look at the great pictures galleries from the current European pool championship (http://www.europeanpoolchampionships.com/), it's amazing how many of those top European players use Predator cues or shafts. It looks like way more then 50%...

WilleeCue
08-13-2008, 03:39 PM
The thing with marketing and hypes is that they don't last long if there isn't a good product behind it.
Predator have been around for over a decade and they are just growing every year.

Oh ... No question they are a quality product.
I prefer the OB1 but both are very well designed and built.

I was just musing about the insinuation that you could "play like a God".
Since it was in their ad I would assume they meant with their equipment.
I cant imagine them paying for an ad touting someone else's equipment.
Now I could go along with "play your best", "play better", even "improve your game", but "play like a God" I feel is a bit cross the line of believability.
Perhaps "play like a lesser God" or "shoot and pray to God" ... like I said just musing ... :p

Every time I make a new cue with the OB1 shaft, someone buys it before I can play much with it.

poolplayer2093
08-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh ... No question they are a quality product.
I prefer the OB1 but both are very well designed and built.

I was just musing about the insinuation that you could "play like a God".
Since it was in their ad I would assume they meant with their equipment.
I cant imagine them paying for an ad touting someone else's equipment.

Every time I make a new cue with the OB1 shaft, someone buys it before I can play much with it.

actually as far as complaints i've read of more problems with the ob1 shafts than the 314 (i'm talking about the 314 and z shaft not the -2 crap they make now)

WilleeCue
08-13-2008, 03:47 PM
actually as far as complaints i've read of more problems with the ob1 shafts than the 314 (i'm talking about the 314 and z shaft not the -2 crap they make now)

What kind of problems?
The ones I have out are doing fine.

You really think the new model is not as good as the original?

poolplayer2093
08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
What kind of problems?
The ones I have out are doing fine.

ferruel problems mostly. ob1 seems to stand behind their product though so it's not a huge deal but still it's a problem. i think i read a thread on here that blackjack wrote about his shaft becoming whippy after stroking a shot hard. ob1 took care of it for him but still its something to think about

coudlnt' find the link to the thread i'm thinking about but i found this one

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=106910&highlight=ob-1

tom haney
08-13-2008, 04:51 PM

My youngest son uses Axe and he has to beat the girls off him.

I tried it and just smelled bad.

Pii
08-13-2008, 06:55 PM

I think that's Eddie Wheats guarantee give him a call. I believe you may have his number. :thumbup:

WilleeCue
08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
I think that's Eddie Wheats guarantee give him a call. I believe you may have his number. :thumbup:

Hey ... are you trying to get my thread deleted? :eek:

softshot
08-13-2008, 11:49 PM
\

They are urging people to buy this cue sight without even having a chance to test it out or even hold one in your hands. I think the ship date for the first set of cues is destined for October but I am kind of losing interest in them. I will probably order another 314-2 from Mike Bender because I am getting used to the low deflection shaft. You would think they would have some prototypes for you to hold or test but nooooooo.

JoeyA

c'mon joey

if they let people play with the big $ plywood ...the actual players would realize very quickly that it is just another cue,,,

and they would say so

and eventually it would kill sales

I could market the P3 as the best treatment for diabetes

and they would get the cue with a note that says manage your insulin and don't eat to much sugar..

there is a big difference between marketing and reality

the people that know.... know

and the people that don't know probably never will but some have a few extra bucks to invest in a piece of plywood that will make them shoot like Shane... and by the time they realize it doesn't.. the check has already been cashed...

Charlie Edwards
08-14-2008, 04:16 AM
I think that's Eddie Wheats guarantee give him a call.
Huh?... oh my.