PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup in Malta December 2008

Bob Jewett
08-11-2008, 07:19 PM
From the AZB front page, the venue for the Mosconi Cup for 2008 will be Malta: http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=5559
I wonder if Tony Drago will play faster for his hometown fans. I see that round trip from the US starts from about $1000.

cajunbarboxplyr
08-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Get your airhorns ready............. Mosconi Cup is a joke....

justin.powell
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Will Earl play this year? I surely hope so.

Bob Jewett
08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Get your airhorns ready............. Mosconi Cup is a joke....
I've attended a couple of them. I think that all of the players would disagree with you.

Roy Steffensen
08-12-2008, 09:07 AM
The players in Europe are dreaming of a spot in the Mosconi Cup. It's the most prestigous tournament to play in, and the one with the most pressure. Atleast this is what they say!!

I think Mosconi Cup is GREAT

stikapos
08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
The 2007 edition was a joke. The Americans seriously needed a fire under their butts. Previous year's editions were much more competitive. So, why would a man go to Malta ????

Looking for a trip to Amsterdam,
tim

frankncali
08-12-2008, 10:08 AM
This event this year has left a very sour taste in my mouth. My buddy and I decided to go over and actually got agroup of 8 committed. We were told London then Rotterdam adn then maybe Malta.

I thought they were kidding being Malta isnt a destination spot for anyone. Its 70 miles out in the middle of the Med and is severely overcrowed and unimpressive.

I also can't believe that they just now set the venue. What about people like me that need to plan early and take advantage of specials or deals
when they come about. Malta!! WTF .. I know Drago is from there but damn. Next year I guess we have it in Twin City Ga or Rapid City SD.

We had to abandon our plan to attend. How the hell do you ask your buddies to go to Malta??? 9.9999999 out of ten10 can't tell where its at or name a city there. Try telling them its an Archipelgo and that its the
eighth most population dense country in the world. Your asking them to a crowded rock.

Maybe I am just pissed that I had to cancel plans for a great pool related vacation but freaking Malta.

jay helfert
08-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Last year's Mosconi Cup was one of the most exciting events I ever worked on. Something about playing for your country adds a whole new dimension to pool. It's kind of like the Ryder Cup and Olympics all rolled into one. I really would love to be the Captain of the U.S. team some day. In the meantime if they asked me to come and do commentary I would. In a heartbeat!

stikapos
08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Well Jay, you couldn't have done any worse than Kim. Last year's Cup was a total debacle. I don't know what they all did after the first night, but there wasn't one of them who showed up the next day. It was pathetic. And watching Drago run around the table and steal the show while Earl misses straight in shots. Change the team. Do something. And I agree, Malta is a total joke. Just a reason to cancel this event next year.

tim

cajunbarboxplyr
08-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I guess I jsut have a pet peeve about the airhorns from some of the vids I've seen of previous Mosconi Cups..........I mean comeon. airhorns??? It jsut didnt leave a god impression on me thas all..........But playing for your country I do beleive in........ Does USA have all its members picke dout yet?

bfdlad
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Well Jay, you couldn't have done any worse than Kim. Last year's Cup was a total debacle. I don't know what they all did after the first night, but there wasn't one of them who showed up the next day. It was pathetic. And watching Drago run around the table and steal the show while Earl misses straight in shots. Change the team. Do something. And I agree, Malta is a total joke. Just a reason to cancel this event next year.

tim
I look forward to Mosconi Cup and nomatter where is is I will still watch and I will still love every min of it.
Now if I had plans to attend in London or Amsterdam and found out malta I may be a little disturbed myself. However Malta is a vacation destination for alot of people in Europe, I have never been personally.
I just hope that they get the crouds and that it only gains in popularity as it is one of the last BIG events for the sport that seems to interest people from outside the sport. Thats a good thing JMO

bfdlad
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I guess I jsut have a pet peeve about the airhorns from some of the vids I've seen of previous Mosconi Cups..........I mean comeon. airhorns??? It jsut didnt leave a god impression on me thas all..........But playing for your country I do beleive in........ Does USA have all its members picke dout yet?
They can't name the team until after the US Open. That is one of the qualifying spots.

Fatboy
08-12-2008, 11:05 AM

tim

I was in the players room 85% of the time Kim did a great job, infact he did the best job of all of them. The players didnt play so good. I took everyone ut to dinner twice except earl who was invited, and Earl played great and won on the last day when he had too, Cory was sick with the flu. I wont go into details, but Kim did the best of all of them, and the guys on the team would agree with me. I saw and listened to his team meetings, stragity, his conversations with the players, how he got them fired up. He did a great job and when we were alone together we discussed his decisions, I know Kim since 85 so he asked me what I thought, I said "Dont second guess your self KIM, I would have made the same decisions. I was honored that he asked me, I had no influence on what happened, Kim was hurting inside, he wanted it as bad as anyone there!!! Kim knows the ropes and those players better than Jay, me or damn near anyone. the other team just played better. the tension in the players room was high.

I wont elaborate on it any more as I consider it private biz but I give everyone my word that Kim did a great job, Jay is my very good friend and I awalys speak the truth, Jay wouldnt have done as well as Kim, infact I cant think of a bad decision that Kim made. Everyone got along great, Earl included-infact I really like Earl and not because he is a great pool player-I have other reasns to like him, Earl was fired up and did his job the last day-it was great to see him so happy afterwards. I'm not going to get into the details as its no ones biz but this year they will win. And yes I will be there should I get lucky enough to get invited.

cajunbarboxplyr
08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
They can't name the team until after the US Open. That is one of the qualifying spots.

Ahhh I did not know that. Thanks for the Info............. Still curious on it tho.......Im sure anothe debate about Who should be on the team should pop up in the forum soon!

frankncali
08-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Ahhh I did not know that. Thanks for the Info............. Still curious on it tho.......Im sure anothe debate about Who should be on the team should pop up in the forum soon!

I am sure it will but last years was a pretty good team. I went and watched and our play was subpar. Corey was really off and JA seemed to be struggling as well.
No matter what the players say if you win as much as we have won its easy to take it easy.

I would throw the same guys back out there 10 times and bet every time on us.

Its a very fun event to attend.

stikapos
08-12-2008, 12:04 PM
You know the drill. Players play and coaches take the blame. It is probable that the team just wasn't strong enough. But after kicking butt the first day 4-0, there just wasn't any excuse for the day 2 performance. Lousy safes, short positions and "go daddy" 's from the crowd did nothing to equal the concentration of the Euro's. Fun ? The kids from Europe were great. But I would rather have saved my cash and hung out with them in GB than watch the day two implosion again. Here's an idea! Run the MC after the US Open !!!
tim

Roy Steffensen
08-12-2008, 01:22 PM
I don't understand what's so bad about Malta?

Ok, if you planned to go to the Mosconi Cup because it would be in either Holland or England, then it's ok, I can understand.

For me I want to go to the Mosconi Cup even more now because of the destination...

stikapos
08-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Wasn't there a wrestler from the "isle of Malta" ??? Why have it on an island ?? At least in the UK, there is the chunnel.

tim

Nostroke
08-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I am sure it will but last years was a pretty good team. I went and watched and our play was subpar. Corey was really off and JA seemed to be struggling as well.
No matter what the players say if you win as much as we have won its easy to take it easy.

I would throw the same guys back out there 10 times and bet every time on us.

and you would probably win 5. Ralf, Neils, Mika, Drago etc those guys have been improving every year. Out guys are very erratic. On European soil, they have to be favored.

Roy Steffensen
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Both Johnny Archer and Corey Deuel seems to play better this year than last year. If the American team for example leave Earl at home and put in John Schmidt, it can be real hard for the Europeans...

frankncali
08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I don't understand what's so bad about Malta?

Ok, if you planned to go to the Mosconi Cup because it would be in either Holland or England, then it's ok, I can understand.

For me I want to go to the Mosconi Cup even more now because of the destination...

I would find it hard to imagine any American wanting to go only to Malta.
I agree that I and my friends are a bit bitter due to the changes but just like everything else in pool nothing is set. We planned any entire 10 day vacation around the event. There were dates set and everything.
Malta might be great but I have little if no desire to go there. Maybe if I had been many other places in Europe.

By pacing it there they have made it much more difficult and expensive to try and combine.
When I originally heard that it might be Malta I told this to our travel agent. I thought she was going to choke. She then asked me if I had it right.
She did say that its tourist numbers went up from the addition of a cheap airline to the island from London and a couple other cities.

Don't get me wrong I still am going to try and work it out but financially it might not work out. I can't justify going without combining it as a europe vacation. Who knows many the packages will be low.
Its a blast to go and I would love to go overseas and support our team.

frankncali
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Both Johnny Archer and Corey Deuel seems to play better this year than last year. If the American team for example leave Earl at home and put in John Schmidt, it can be real hard for the Europeans...

A a pool fan I want Earl on every Mosconi team. He has proven to be a solid addition and brings excitement.
After what I watched last year Corey would not make any a team if I was picking. Helluva a player .. no doubt about that.

I would like to see Corey chagned with Dennis Hatch. Archer while he wasn't perfect last year lays it all out there and is a great teammate. I think he would come into this years event fired up.

Roy Steffensen
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
A a pool fan I want Earl on every Mosconi team. He has proven to be a solid addition and brings excitement.
After what I watched last year Corey would not make any a team if I was picking. Helluva a player .. no doubt about that.

I would like to see Corey chagned with Dennis Hatch. Archer while he wasn't perfect last year lays it all out there and is a great teammate. I think he would come into this years event fired up.

I have always been a big fan of Earl, and I know he brings excitement to the show, and that he can beat anyone on any given day.

But for the team I think it would be better to leave him out.

For the show it's great to have him there.

Maybe he could be ref?

Roy Steffensen
08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I would find it hard to imagine any American wanting to go only to Malta.
I agree that I and my friends are a bit bitter due to the changes but just like everything else in pool nothing is set. We planned any entire 10 day vacation around the event. There were dates set and everything.
Malta might be great but I have little if no desire to go there. Maybe if I had been many other places in Europe.

By pacing it there they have made it much more difficult and expensive to try and combine.
When I originally heard that it might be Malta I told this to our travel agent. I thought she was going to choke. She then asked me if I had it right.
She did say that its tourist numbers went up from the addition of a cheap airline to the island from London and a couple other cities.

Don't get me wrong I still am going to try and work it out but financially it might not work out. I can't justify going without combining it as a europe vacation. Who knows many the packages will be low.
Its a blast to go and I would love to go overseas and support our team.

I think Ryanair have flights from London for about 125 $, round-trip.

I do understand your feelings about going to Europe and not wanting to only see Malta. For me as an European it doesn't matter, and is actually a pretty cool place to go when it's wintertime here in Northern Europe. Besides, Tony Drago is national hero in Malta, and the people there will be crazy about having this tournament there.

cajunbarboxplyr
08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I agree in Putting in John Shmidt on the team....... Taking off Earl I have to disagree.......Earl is still a power house.........How bout maybe putting Hillbilly in there........ Keep SvB......keep Archer. cant really say much for the rest.....

I guess thas a luxury. We have so many options and only so few spots :P

deep
08-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Wasn't there a wrestler from the "isle of Malta" ??? Why have it on an island ?? At least in the UK, there is the chunnel.

tim

I've been hearing rumors all year that the Mosconi was going to be in the UK this year so I'm pretty gutted that its now in Malta. I went to Malta a few years ago and have very little desire to go back again.

frankncali
08-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I have always been a big fan of Earl, and I know he brings excitement to the show, and that he can beat anyone on any given day.

But for the team I think it would be better to leave him out.

For the show it's great to have him there.

Maybe he could be ref?

Now thats funny and I would hunt down the guy that takes Michela Tabb
away from my viewing !!

I was not impressed with Corey last year in person and I dont think I was alone. Damn Roy now you hvae me thinking about trying to mix in Malta in Dec. Its just so much out of the way. I had planned on 2 nights and 3 days at the event and then on to other destinations. The Euro trains are the nuts and I had put together a great vacation spanning from Italy to Paris to London. By my rough (very rough) guess it would add 30% or so to the overall $$$ putting in Malta. Maybe not

I put together a show out here with bfdlad starring Earl and Johnny. We had a great time and both guys will be on tops of my pool lists for a while. Earl put on a great show.

Here is a couple of Studs and a Dud

Earl Doing his thing

Roy Steffensen
08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/viewtopic.php?forum=2&topic=2097

Easyjet has flights for 62 pounds, about 125 $.

PETARD
08-12-2008, 04:39 PM
From the AZB front page, the venue for the Mosconi Cup for 2008 will be Malta: http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=5559
I wonder if Tony Drago will play faster for his hometown fans. I see that round trip from the US starts from about $1000.

Guess Cajans don't get it. I am in contact with Matchroom that if I can get some reserved great tickets for the event to try and arrange a junket for people who love pool, fun, and competition. I went to my first last year and will never miss one. Once I get confirmation of the seats, I will publish the plan and cost( no profit or freebies for me) and try to coordinate the US fans to fly with the team even if I have to pony up some money.

Mr. Jewitt, the event is awesome