PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your opponent borrow your jump cue?

Ky Boy
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
After reading the thread about stuckart's integrity it made me wonder how you guys feel about loaning, say, your jump cue to an opponent after you played a good safe.

The reason I ask is the situation came up in a tourney a couple of weeks ago after I played a pretty good safe.. My opponent wasn't rude during any of the match and seemed to be an ok guy. So, I didn't think anything about loaning him my jump cue when he asked. It did however possibly cost me the match since he lucked the OB in and ran out.

What say you guys about this? Do you make a practice of not loaning any of your equipment or do you freely loan knowing it may cost you?

Gary

Roy Steffensen
08-12-2008, 03:26 PM
It depends on the opponent, what kind of tournament it is/how much money we are betting...

Chucklez65
08-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Same,

It depends on whether this is someone that I am friendly with and will see on a week to week basis or just someone that I am gambling with for the first time. Someone has to figure they are a friend if they ask to use your jump cue I would think.

If its a friend, its not exactly nice to say no...but then if its a friend, I would just offer it up.

Tough question to give an absolute answer to.

hilla_hilla
08-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Ha, ha! In Reno several years back I watched Sam Manaole and Simon Pickering play $200 sets. Sam lost the first set 9-1 then won the second set 9-1. The third set Sam was down and ended up borrowing Simon's jump cue three times to tie the set up. After that, Simon told Sam he couldn't borrow his jump cue anymore, lol. :grin:

Ky Boy
08-12-2008, 03:51 PM
It may be a question where not everyone has a definitive answer as well as being purely situational. I was sort of taken back when he asked to borrow it since I had never seen him before that tourney. But I let him use it and probably would again if asked as long as they are respectful to me and my equipment.

Gary

Same,

It depends on whether this is someone that I am friendly with and will see on a week to week basis or just someone that I am gambling with for the first time. Someone has to figure they are a friend if they ask to use your jump cue I would think.

If its a friend, its not exactly nice to say no...but then if its a friend, I would just offer it up.

Tough question to give an absolute answer to.

Njhustler1
08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
It depends on the situation but i think it's kind of rude for the opponent to even ask and put you to that decision in the first place.

Robertduke
08-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Never.. Haha Thats what you get.. Unless I was playing for funnsies or they hooked there self.. I could see letting them use it but I would never..

Ky Boy
08-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Not even a friend Duke!!???:p

Gary

Never.. Haha Thats what you get.. Unless I was playing for funnsies or they hooked there self.. I could see letting them use it but I would never..

Robertduke
08-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Not even a freind.. Ive had them ask.. My reply
"Im not letting you beat me with my own stick." =)~

Ky Boy
08-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Just kidding you, man!! I thought the pool gods would smile on me but they didn't!!

Gary

Not even a freind.. Ive had them ask.. My reply
"Im not letting you beat me with my own stick." =)~

skor
08-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Nobody Touches Any Of My Cues!!!

Robertduke
08-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Just kidding you, man!! I thought the pool gods would smile on me but they didn't!!

Gary
Yeah they smiled on you alright.. haha.. It will come around.. Keep giving your opponent a stick to beat ya with.. haha.. :thumbup:

march11934
08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
It depends on the situation but i think it's kind of rude for the opponent to even ask and put you to that decision in the first place.
I agree with Njhustler. I would have been shocked myself. If this is any kind of competition whether it be tournament or gambling that would be off limits in my opinion. If it were a friend then anything I have is theirs to try. :thumbup:

poolplayer2093
08-12-2008, 04:32 PM
After reading the thread about stuckart's integrity it made me wonder how you guys feel about loaning, say, your jump cue to an opponent after you played a good safe.

The reason I ask is the situation came up in a tourney a couple of weeks ago after I played a pretty good safe.. My opponent wasn't rude during any of the match and seemed to be an ok guy. So, I didn't think anything about loaning him my jump cue when he asked. It did however possibly cost me the match since he lucked the OB in and ran out.

What say you guys about this? Do you make a practice of not loaning any of your equipment or do you freely loan knowing it may cost you?

Gary

i probably wouldn't do it. even if we're cool if he wanted to use one he should have bought one himself.

halhoule
08-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Gary SILLY QUESTION

Chi2dxa
08-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Gary
No by no means!!! I saw Israel Hightower borrow Vick Bagley's jump cue at the Pool Room in Marietta, Ga. during a tournament and this was for the money. Yes he did make the jump and got out from there to win the money. It was the crazest thing I had ever seen.

CocoboloCowboy
08-12-2008, 04:44 PM

Gary

NO WAY Jose.:smile:

Ky Boy
08-12-2008, 04:47 PM
So Hal, is that a NO from you?!? Nevermind!:rolleyes:

Gary

SILLY QUESTION

Balabushka
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Only if I put my boogers on it first.

Roy Steffensen
08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
During World Pool Championship in Philippines last November, Goran Mladenovic from Europe played someone from Taiwan I think.

For some reason Goran didn't have a jumpcue (Playing WC - equipment not perfect?), and after his opponent played safe on him, Goran asked both the ref and the player if it was ok for him to borrow his friends jumpcue. They both agreed.

Goran waved to his friend, but the friend was far from the table, looking in another direction. I was watching the match on the next table, so I got my jumpcue ready for Goran, but the opponent then approached Goran and offered him to use his cue.

I thought it was real nice of him, since it was the World Championship.

Goran missed the jumpshot, but I think he ended up winning the match. (Not 100% sure about the result)

EDIT:

It happened in the LAST 64-match. Even more impressing... Goran ended up winning the match 10-8.
KO PIN-YI (TPE) 8
G. MLADENOVIC (SER) 10

claymont
08-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Never had anyone ask in a money/tournament situation, but my answer would be no. Now if I was offered a saver of some sort, I might reconsider;)
Not playing for anything, in most cases, yes.

Gary

fasteddienc
08-12-2008, 07:26 PM
If this was the wild west and we were in a gun fight and I forgot and left my gun at home would you be so kind to let me borrow your gun so I could shoot you between the eyes???? If so I will gladly meet you at high noon anytime!!

mullyman
08-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Gary

Personally, I think it would be awfully childish and selfish not to let them borrow your jump cue. I wouldn't want to play with a nit like that.
MULLY

Monto P2
08-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I dont like to share my equipment at all, But i wont say No:)

But My expressions would:D

mullyman
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
I dont like to share my equipment at all, But i wont say No:)

But My expressions would:D

Hell, I offer mine up if I see the situation on the horizon.
MULLY

Cuedog
08-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Hell, I offer mine up if I see the situation on the horizon.
MULLY
Mully my friend, I usually see things your way being the nice guy that you are, but this is a competition. You didn't put him in that situation to help him out of it. You played safe with the hopes of getting ball in hand. Give him the jump cue and you can kiss BIH goodbye.

I say opponents should bring their own weapons. And never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Gene

GMAC
08-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Personally, I think it would be awfully childish and selfish not to let them borrow your jump cue. I wouldn't want to play with a nit like that.
MULLY

This reminds me of when you are playing poker with your friends and one of them goes broke and asks you for a loan. You dont want to give it to them because they have the chance to beat you with your money. So for the same reason I wouldn't lend money in a serious money poker game. I wouldn't lend my jump cue to my oppenent if i was playing for money or in a tournament.

The nit is the guy who won't buy his own jump cue.

Jimmy M.
08-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Depends on my opponent. If it's someone I like, I'd probably loan it to them. If not, I'd tell them to go borrow one from someone else. ;)

I don't think I'd have the nerve to ask my opponent to borrow their jump cue, but I've had it asked of me several times. I always find it a bit odd but, again, have obliged depending on the person I was playing.

Gary

mullyman
08-13-2008, 01:46 AM
Mully my friend, I usually see things your way being the nice guy that you are, but this is a competition. You didn't put him in that situation to help him out of it. You played safe with the hopes of getting ball in hand. Give him the jump cue and you can kiss BIH goodbye.

I say opponents should bring their own weapons. And never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Gene

Yeah, but on the other side of that, if I didn't lock him up good enough then I deserve what comes to me. He's going to get a jump cue from someone so why waste the time? Just go ahead and give him mine.

Then again, I have to say that I don't play in America. No offense, but we've had discussions before about how rude people can be over there. I may feel differently if I was back home. It's just not like that over here.

I'm going to pose this question at the pool room tonight and see what everyone says. I have a feeling that I won't hear any "no" responses.
MULLY

mullyman
08-13-2008, 01:48 AM
This reminds me of when you are playing poker with your friends and one of them goes broke and asks you for a loan. You dont want to give it to them because they have the chance to beat you with your money. So for the same reason I wouldn't lend money in a serious money poker game. I wouldn't lend my jump cue to my oppenent if i was playing for money or in a tournament.

The nit is the guy who won't buy his own jump cue.

I can agree 100% that he should buy his own jump cue.

Not sure about not loaning a friend some cash playing poker though. It's not like my livelihood depends on the little scratch I may win or lose at a friendly poker game.
MULLY

DelaWho???
08-13-2008, 03:33 AM
My question to you is, if you're playing an opponent and they want to share your playing cue, do you share it or tell them there are house sticks on the wall.
If I loan you my cue and you somehow damage it, I'm out a cue. I'm certain that a relative stranger isn't going to pony up repair costs if damages something.
If I was asked in that situation, I'd ask him if he wanted to borrow my car too....:rolleyes:

Guess I'm one of those rude americans...

:cool:

JimS
08-13-2008, 04:11 AM
I'm not sure what I would actually do. I'd want to be a friend and go along with their request but I'd also think it was incumbent on them to have the equipment they need to play the game.

If they come without their cue and have to use a house cue do I let them borrow my playing cue?

Why not jump with a full cue?

I could never ask to use somebody's cue. Not their play cue or jump cue.

I like Hal's answer and my inner response would be "you want to what!?" but I"m not sure what I would actually do. I'd have value systems at war with this question.

Snapshot9
08-13-2008, 05:44 AM
let 'good friends' (that know how to play) borrow my jump cue only when they are playing someone else than me.

I never let an opponent use my cues, for any reason.

RRfireblade
08-13-2008, 06:18 AM
No I don't think so. During any kind of a real 'match' I don't think even a friend of mine would even ask such a thing.

We 'try' each others breaks and jumps from time to time , usually if someone just picked up something new or just got to the pool room and haven't broke thiers out yet but once we're really playing , that's pretty much a no no IMO.

I mean I wouldn't imagine asking at that point myself.

Pete
08-13-2008, 07:17 AM
My feeling is if you feel you don't need or can afford the equipment, then you shouldn't use it.

I had a guy ask to hit with my cue. He uses a titanium cue. I told him no. This is a guy I shoot around with every week or so for the past few months. I just don't understand people who don't want to invest in to something but want to have the advantage of it.

And I know that someone might have broken their cue or forgot it, but thety should have been prepaired.

Pete

Ky Boy
08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
I see everyone's opinion on this matter and understand them as well. But I also wrote into this thread about being a nice guy like Stuckart was in the AZ tourney. For those that didn't read it basically stated that Stuckart told a guy that he had BIH while he was trailing in the match and really needed that game. It just made me wonder how some people would handle a similar situation such as the one I encountered.

For the record I don't like loaning my cues and if it were one of my actual playing cues then that is different to me. Because mine is only a Fury j/b and rather inexpensive I don't mind if it gets banged LIGHTLY on the table. However a custom cue is different.

I also concur about being prepared for battle!! But this day I just said ok without really giving it much thought.

Gary

Yeah, but on the other side of that, if I didn't lock him up good enough then I deserve what comes to me. He's going to get a jump cue from someone so why waste the time? Just go ahead and give him mine.

Then again, I have to say that I don't play in America. No offense, but we've had discussions before about how rude people can be over there. I may feel differently if I was back home. It's just not like that over here.

I'm going to pose this question at the pool room tonight and see what everyone says. I have a feeling that I won't hear any "no" responses.
MULLY

smoooothstroke
08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
-my wife yes

-my car maybe

-my jump cue never!

mullyman
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
My question to you is, if you're playing an opponent and they want to share your playing cue, do you share it or tell them there are house sticks on the wall.
If I loan you my cue and you somehow damage it, I'm out a cue. I'm certain that a relative stranger isn't going to pony up repair costs if damages something.
If I was asked in that situation, I'd ask him if he wanted to borrow my car too....:rolleyes:

Guess I'm one of those rude americans...

If you answered with the car line, yeah, that's pretty rude.
MULLY

mullyman
08-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Play cue: A friend, yes, a stranger, no.
Break cue: I don't care.
Jump cue: I care even less.

Like I said, if I left them a jump shot then by all means take it. You play your safeties the right way and they won't have a jump shot available that makes them ask you to use your cue.

It's funny how people around here act like leaving a shot is giving up the set. Like you're all up against world beaters that run the table every time they can see the ball. Well, if you're playing at that calbre and you're leaving jump shots, that they're going to make and run out on you, then you need to work on your safety play.
MULLY

DelaWho???
08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
If you answered with the car line, yeah, that's pretty rude.
MULLY

Actually I did use that line once, but it was in a bar where a total stranger picked up my brand new cue (maybe 10 racks played on it) where it was leaning against the wall 4' from me and started shoooting with it. He got one shot off with it and I went over and took it from him saying "I'd appreciate it if you didn't use my cue" He says "It's not a big deal" like I was out of line. To which I replied with the car line.
Was that rude?

powerlineman80
08-13-2008, 11:51 PM
I would with my close friends or family, but no way in hell to somebody I dont know even if they seemed ok. I've let one guy touch my regular cue and hit one on the condition he bought it if he screwed it up in any way. Safe to say he only shot once and was done.;)

mullyman
08-14-2008, 01:03 AM
Actually I did use that line once, but it was in a bar where a total stranger picked up my brand new cue (maybe 10 racks played on it) where it was leaning against the wall 4' from me and started shoooting with it. He got one shot off with it and I went over and took it from him saying "I'd appreciate it if you didn't use my cue" He says "It's not a big deal" like I was out of line. To which I replied with the car line.
Was that rude?

No, in that situation you handled it the right way at first and he got cocky. What I'm saying is if, for example, you and I are shooting and I say "Hey, would you mind if I borrow your jump cue real quick?" and you replied with the car line, that would be rude. Big difference in the situations.

In the situation you posed, if it was me, I would have been all over him like a cheap suit if he got cocky with me like that.
MULLY

vin
08-14-2008, 02:04 AM
if my opponent is a bad jumper :D just kiddin hehe

as long as the player knows how to use one, yes i will if he/she asked for it. all i want is a good game :D

mullyman
08-14-2008, 02:41 AM
if my opponent is a bad jumper :D just kiddin hehe

as long as the player knows how to use one, yes i will if he/she asked for it. all i want is a good game :D

That's a good point. If that person is just learning to jump a ball I may not let them use it, but I'd be up front with them on why I'm not allowing it.
MULLY

Gatz
08-14-2008, 02:47 AM
Ofcourse I let my opponent borrow my jump cue, im a nice guy!. Except I give them the one that has the tip held on by tape. :thumbup:

the420trooper
08-14-2008, 07:34 AM
I think the most honest way to answer is- if I am playing someone I am supposed to beat, yeah, you can use my cue.

If I'm playing someone who will spear that jump shot and run out, there's no way in hell. I have a jump cue, why don't you?

Poolfiend
08-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Play cue: A friend, yes, a stranger, no.
Break cue: I don't care.
Jump cue: I care even less.

Like I said, if I left them a jump shot then by all means take it. You play your safeties the right way and they won't have a jump shot available that makes them ask you to use your cue.

It's funny how people around here act like leaving a shot is giving up the set. Like you're all up against world beaters that run the table every time they can see the ball. Well, if you're playing at that calbre and you're leaving jump shots, that they're going to make and run out on you, then you need to work on your safety play.
MULLY

Mully:

Just a guess, but I suspect that your position on this probably due to the fact that you don't gamble it up. If you had a few hundred on the line and played a safety on your opponent I doubt you would be so ready to hand over your jump cue. You might as well hand him your wallet.

I use everything I know about my opponent to beat him. There are some guys I play that are great at banking - so if I need to play safe I try not to leave a bank. There are some people I play that I know never jump the ball and don't have jump cues - so I might leave him a jump shot if I need to play safe - there would be no way I would turn around and him my jump cue with money on the line. 5 bucks a game with a guy I know? Maybe I would.

SCCues
08-14-2008, 10:14 AM
My cues are my tools and I prefer not to loan them out. I have a jump cue that I made myself and it probably wouldn't work for anybody else anyway......

James

march11934
08-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Kind of like the defensive line lending their quarterback over to the opposing team because they needed him to throw an 80 yard bomb to make the 1st down after the defense did such a great job holding them back for the first three downs in football. Sorry for the run on sentence but you get the point?