PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pool Movie?

poolhallhustler
08-12-2008, 06:45 PM
My favorite one would have to be Pool Hall Junkies, Chaz Palminteri played a great role as the 'bad guy' in the flick, and chris walken made a huge impact in the movie especially at the end. For such a low budget movie I like it a a lot and opens up eyes to the 'hustle' that there could be in pool rooms.

My second favorite would have to be "The Hustler". Great film. :thumbup:

CrownCityCorey
08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
My favorite one would have to be Pool Hall Junkies, Chaz Palminteri played a great role as the 'bad guy' in the flick, and chris walken made a huge impact in the movie especially at the end. For such a low budget movie I like it a a lot and opens up eyes to the 'hustle' that there could be in pool rooms.

My second favorite would have to be "The Hustler". Great film. :thumbup:

The Hustler is the best by far. Followed by The Color of Money.

Edit: The Hustler, IMO, is one of the best movies I have ever seen! Pool movie or not. The Color of Money I like a lot just because it's a pool movie, got me motivated to play, and cause I know/knew lots of people in it.

jay helfert
08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Let's see there was THE HUSTLER, and then there was........Let me see......okay.......well there was........NOTHING else worthy of note.

billyjack
08-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Every time this discussion resurfaces, there's a disparity in opinion, usually aligned in age groups. I'm happy to be counted on the "Old Guys" camp, and with a lot of good company.
Bill

manwon
08-12-2008, 07:11 PM
The Hustler was certainly the all time classic, but below are how I would rate what I have seen:

The movies are rated by Stars!

1) The Hustler - ****

2) The Color Of Money - ***

3) The Baltimore Bullet - **

4) Super Cue Men - **

5) Pool Hall Junkies - *

6) Chalk - 0 - I think the Movie Sucked, worst of all
time.

7) The Player:

I can't rate this movie, because I have seen it. The Movie was made in 1971 and stared Minissota Fats. It was only shown to my knowledge twice at film festifals. There are no known copies left in existance to my knowledge, if anyone knows where a copy may be please contact me.

Thanks Craig

JerzyJoe
08-12-2008, 07:20 PM
The down side was that it once again brought too much attention to the predatory side of the "poolroom life". It's there, a fact nobody who's REALLY been around the game will debate, but it's not ALL pool's about.
The designation "pool" itself has nothing to do with the game. It's a reference to the "pooling" of bets around the table. The relationship between pool and gambling is what gives it a black eye. Add to it movies like "Shooting Gallery" which came out after "Poolhall Junkies" and now we all sound like a bunch of pathological gamblers and dope fiends. This, we all know, is inaccurate and annoying.
Not everybody plays pool or hangs out in poolrooms to gamble or to buy or sell drugs yet all the movies depict the best players as being involved in one or the other or both. Changing public opinion is always an uphill battle.
I'm not suggesting that somebody should make a wholesome pool movie, look how the last few movies failed as box-office hits and wholesome is boring. Hopefully, "9-Ball", if it ever actually gets made, will be the next "Color of Money", unlike "Turn the River" another pool movie most of us only happened to catch at the video store because of the cover.
My personal favorite is "The Baltimore Bullet", and thats only because I have had the pleasure of knowing a few of the real players in the cast who played themselves.

AZE
08-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Let's see there was THE HUSTLER, and then there was........Let me see......okay.......well there was........NOTHING else worthy of note.

The Color of Money was at least note worthy, Jay. Though it did lack some fullness through out and the ending was less than great (unless they were planning a part 2). It was still an entertaining movie and brought some more attention to the sport.

I will agree that The Hustler was by far the best, however.

Pool Hall Junkies was pretty good for a low-budget film, but to be honest the movie was pretty "lol" even when it was trying to be serious, especially looking at it as a pool player.

With all that said I've watched each of these movies over and over and never get bored watching them.

FFS when is the next big pool movie going to come out?

JerzyJoe
08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
It was Fatty and Jack Colavita and I never heard anything good about it. Let me know if you find a copy, I'd like to see it too.
Also, there's a book called "The Lions and the Lambs" thats from around that time that I'd like to read if anybody knows where I can find a copy.

hilla_hilla
08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
My personal favorite is, The Color of Money. The Hustler always made me feeling like slitting my own throat afterwards:frown: . Maybe because it hits to close to home and I feel like I can relate to that movie in more ways than one:( .

Johnnyt
08-12-2008, 10:42 PM
The down side was that it once again brought too much attention to the predatory side of the "poolroom life". It's there, a fact nobody who's REALLY been around the game will debate, but it's not ALL pool's about.
The designation "pool" itself has nothing to do with the game. It's a reference to the "pooling" of bets around the table. The relationship between pool and gambling is what gives it a black eye. Add to it movies like "Shooting Gallery" which came out after "Poolhall Junkies" and now we all sound like a bunch of pathological gamblers and dope fiends. This, we all know, is inaccurate and annoying.
Not everybody plays pool or hangs out in poolrooms to gamble or to buy or sell drugs yet all the movies depict the best players as being involved in one or the other or both. Changing public opinion is always an uphill battle.
I'm not suggesting that somebody should make a wholesome pool movie, look how the last few movies failed as box-office hits and wholesome is boring. Hopefully, "9-Ball", if it ever actually gets made, will be the next "Color of Money", unlike "Turn the River" another pool movie most of us only happened to catch at the video store because of the cover.
My personal favorite is "The Baltimore Bullet", and thats only because I have had the pleasure of knowing a few of the real players in the cast who played themselves.
Everyone needs to get over this farce that movies like the Hustler are holding back pool. Pool is what it is. Just like basketball, bowling, golf, and many other sports that people bet on when they play. Go to any basketball court in a park on Sat & Sun. You will see them playing for the cash. If the Hustler was so bad for pool why was there the biggest boom ever right after the movie? I had a room in those days and I always had a waiting list. Johnnyt

jay helfert
08-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Everyone needs to get over this farce that movies like the Hustler are holding back pool. Pool is what it is. Just like basketball, bowling, golf, and many other sports that people bet on when they play. Go to any basketball court in a park on Sat & Sun. You will see them playing for the cash. If the Hustler was so bad for pool why was there the biggest boom ever right after the movie? I had a room in those days and I always had a waiting list. Johnnyt

I'm with Johnny here. A great line, "Pool is what it is!" And what it is, is a great game with myriad fascinating characters inhabiting it. There is NOTHING wrong with pool that any of us need to fix! Yes, you heard me right! I love pool just the way it is, with nothing added or anything left out. Even with all the controversies, the disputes, the in fighting and the politics, I still love this game. This is all part and parcel of what makes pool fascinating to me. Sure, we could have more and bigger tournaments. I would still say that if we had a twelve city tour of $250,000 events. It can always be better, but I enjoy pool for the sport it is RIGHT NOW!

I get to meet some great players, interesting fans, and hear many humorous stories everywhere I go. The bottom line in life is not just how much money you make. More important is did you enjoy the trip along the way. And I sure have, with all the difficulties, disillusionment, and setbacks. That's all part of the package. And it's one that I chose. And continue to choose. I could be making beaucoup bucks right now if I wanted to throw myself entirely into the real estate business. But why, so I could be miserable every day and work my ass off. For what, more money! NOT!

Where was poker in the firmament of sports and television for the last 30 years? It was actually well below pool in popularity. And then something happened and it boomed. The same thing could happen in pool, today, tomorrow or next year. Just don't be surprised when it happens. Once again, there is nothing wrong with pool, and it doesn't need to be fixed. It's just that some of the people who hang around here like to think so. Like Johnny, I'm just not one of them.

JerzyJoe
08-13-2008, 12:15 AM
To JohnnyT and Jay, I agree with you both. All I meant was that alot of what is emphasized in pool movie plots, for dramatic effect, doesn't make the local poolroom someplace where you'd feel comfortable letting your 16 year-old daughter hang out.
We all know better, we've lived it. IT IS WHAT IT IS. Truer words were never spoken. And I further agree, I wouldn't change a thing about it.

gobrian77
08-13-2008, 12:41 AM

Definitely agree- there are a couple other watchable pool movies, but only one GREAT one.:smile:

rossaroni
08-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Definitely agree- there are a couple other watchable pool movies, but only one GREAT one.:smile:

What? Only one great pool movie? You must have never seen Kiss Shot, Up Against the 8 Ball, Stickmen or Behind the Nine. True masterpieces!:grin:

Fatboy
08-13-2008, 03:00 AM
The Hustler was certainly the all time classic, but below are how I would rate what I have seen:

1) The Hustler - ****

4) Super Cue Men - **

5) Pool Hall Junkies - *

time.

7) The Player:

I can't rate this movie, because I have seen it. The Movie was made in 1971 and stared Minissota Fats. It was only shown to my knowledge twice at film festifals. There are no known copies left in existance to my knowledge, if anyone knows where a copy may be please contact me.

Thanks Craig

Man thats a sad statistic. 6 whole movies, one episode of the Twlight Zone, 1 episode of the Honeymooners W/J/Gleason and one episode of the Flint Stones. and some movie thats MIA in a cold film storage lost forever. All this after 80 years-can it really be worse??? Does Hollywood hate us?

Think about that, how weak is that? Freddy in Friday the 13th had 2 times an many moves alone, for the number of people who particapate in pool, bars, home, leagues, tournments, etc we get less than 20 hours screen time in 80 years or 20 hrs/700800 hrs. How bad is that??? If pool wanst everywhere-like darts arnt or pin ball, I could understand. Pool is full of colorful charcters-Bobby Pickle, Keith, Scooter, Melvin Sharp, Hawaiian Jimmy, Shannon, Jay, Hell Me for that matter, we are all part of a sub-culture in America that still exists-I left the scene for 12 or 13 years came back and it was a reunion, people remembered me I forgot about ad vice versa. Its a culture that people are curious about.

I went to the Harvard Club in NYC 4 years ago, they have one table, its for Harvard Graduates a hotel for $50/night instead of $500 becaue the school bought it years ago. I went in there with my $900/hr Lawyer he knew I played so he asked me to play. I had all these fancy very educated squares watching me play, bad cues, etc but they all thought I was world beater. They were so intreagued by the "Dark side" of society and to have me there, they were curiously inimated about me. One guy asked "are you gonna hustle us out of our $$". I smiles and said "there was a time in my life I would have got all the $$ from all of you" He asked how. So I explaine how to stall and keep the fish on the hook, he loved the lingo we players use, I'm not suggesting I'm a player as in pro, but I have paid my dues. These guys wernt stupid at all, the questions kept comming-all of them were very good as these 4-5 men, there kids 12-14 years ols and my lawyer were just amazed, I was their window into our lifes-something they heard about-and the more i told them the more interested they became-we all talked for a hour-i cut the off, I explained that to be a pro you have to live pool, I was honest and told them that I ws a a- player a few years back but not now, they were loving it.

And these Harvard guys are as sharp as they come, and in 80 years we get less than 20 hours, WTF are the studios and producers thinking? another shoot'em up movie like the last one, great "Rush Hour 34 Wild Ride in Vegas". Thats all we get same shit different day, thanks Hollywood. I spoke to Robert Lablank today for 20 minutes-he was the technical advisor to Junkies, He did his best, because a certain actor was hired, the actors influence changed alot of the movie or they wernt gonna get the actor, thats what ruined that movie, everyone was too pissed and confrontational, A half movie/documentarty to let the squares see our world would sell, in telemarketing there have been several movies and they did good and that world is a under world, squares dig that shit, and telemarketing is .0005% as big as pool.

There are missing the boat here bad, 3 good hours and 15 or 18 hours of shit movies in 80 years, OMGWTF whats up with that? a movie will help pool, it might not save it but it cant hurt, Junkies wasnt realistic-Mars changed it to get a actor and it screwed it up, its a uncomfortable movie to watch and dint help pool, Cotton or Lablanc did a great job.

a movie that peers into the derby follow some plaers, woofing etc. done in a way that wasnt a argument like every 2 minutes that makes audiences uncomfortiable would do great, maybe the danny bas. movie w/ jack black will be good, there should be a good pool movie every 5 years, that wouldnt be too many. like there lots of good new movies anyways, i dont need to see a cop and robber movie again. less people are cops and robbers than play pool.

Johnnyt
08-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Good post FatBoy. I think your right...there is still a market for a good pool movie. What I believe is needed is a good writer that has been around pool for years. He has gambled and been on the road with a good road player or been there every step of the way with a pro from their teen years to getting to the top like an SVB. The plot has to have two other sub plots going on, not just all pool.

Then you need a director that is into pool and knows whats real and whats possible and whats not. He has to love pool and want to make it believable, not another joke movie about pool.

Then the actors have to be name brand and have played pool a lot or given the time to learn to look like they can by a pool coach.

I'm sure the Hustler cost next to nothing to make by todays big budget movie standards. I would think the COM was a fairly high budget movie and I believe made a big profit.
I think the powers that be in hollywood just look at a pool script and then check what the last two or three movie about pool did at the box office and pass. No one wants to gamble on anything in business anymore. Johnnyt

Dave Nelson
08-13-2008, 06:56 AM
"Where was poker in the firmament of sports and television for the last 30 years? It was actually well below pool in popularity. And then something happened and it boomed. The same thing could happen in pool, today, tomorrow or next year".

Sorry Jay, can't agree. All you need for poker is a table and a 40 wat bulb. Pool tables are expensive and take up a lot of space. And I love the game just as much as you do. I just don't play it as well.

Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson
08-13-2008, 07:07 AM
I am a very critical movie watcher. Even the best(The African Queen)leave me with the feeling that they could be improved greatly with a little common sense.

The Hustler was a very good movie. It could have been better by sticking closer to the book. I liked The Baltimore Bullit. If it wasn't great it was at least entertaining.

Hila-Hila; If watching The Hustler made you want to slit your throat be sure that you never watch Erasorhead.

Dave Nelson

Njhustler1
08-13-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm sorry but Poolhall Junkies was absolutely horrible!!!! Just because it may be about our favorite sport, doesnt make it a good movie. I highly doubt basketball fans think Shazaam was a great movie just because Shaq-daddy was in it.

edd
08-13-2008, 08:10 AM

While it may not "hold back pool," it would be welcomed to have a movie with a different storyline - and one with a focus on skills. Say, a young man who works a day job and with the support of family, friends and a coach, manages to "rise-up" from small town America, to win the World 9-Ball Championship. A storyline full of character development with a "come-from-behind" theme and superior pool skills. Now that's movie I'd like to see!!

poohkiller
08-13-2008, 08:14 AM

there truly is only one movie to mention here, and that is The Hustler. On the other hand we are fortunate enough to have a movie that is Perfect in every detail! That movie is my favorite movie and that is not only because it is about pool but also owing to Paul Newman's utterly perfect acting, the story that is very well composed and maybe not many share this opinion with me but I really like the love-story part too...:embarrassed2:

The best movie ever for me.

jongreve
08-13-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm sorry but Poolhall Junkies was absolutely horrible!!!! Just because it may be about our favorite sport, doesnt make it a good movie. I highly doubt basketball fans think Shazaam was a great movie just because Shaq-daddy was in it.

Horrible is awfully harsh

It may not have been a very good "pool movie", but it was a hilarious flick about a small group of misguided friends jackin' around. I'm sure there are quite a few of us that were in similar circles during college years. Not all movies are realistic, my only real complaint was the frequency of f-bombs.

jongreve
08-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Man thats a sad statistic. 6 whole movies, one episode of the Twlight Zone, 1 episode of the Honeymooners W/J/Gleason and one episode of the Flint Stones. and some movie thats MIA in a cold film storage lost forever. All this after 80 years-can it really be worse??? Does Hollywood hate us?

<snipped>

You forgot about the "Fancy Eatin' Table" in the Beverly Hillbillys

macneilb
08-13-2008, 09:47 AM
"Where was poker in the firmament of sports and television for the last 30 years? It was actually well below pool in popularity. And then something happened and it boomed. The same thing could happen in pool, today, tomorrow or next year".

Sorry Jay, can't agree. All you need for poker is a table and a 40 wat bulb. Pool tables are expensive and take up a lot of space. And I love the game just as much as you do. I just don't play it as well.

Dave Nelson

i gotta repectfully disagree. i don't think that is what seperated poker from pool in terms of poplarity. IMO, i think it has to do w/ 2 things; poker being able to played online unlike pool, and everyone can get a general idea of how to play poker from watching it on tv, not well, but a rough idea - unlike pool where you actually have to be at the table to learn how to play, plus it takes a while longer to get a good stroke goin... just my .02:rolleyes:

Cuaba
08-13-2008, 09:49 AM
I prefer The Color Of Money over The Hustler.

pool4u
08-13-2008, 09:52 AM

1) The Hustler - ****

4) Super Cue Men - **

5) Pool Hall Junkies - *

time.

7) The Player:

Where's "Stickmen"? I have that as #1 myself. Well, maybe #3. Hustler & The Color of Money are really hard to beat. But Pool Hall Junkies was pretty lame.

manwon
08-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Where's "Stickmen"? I have that as #1 myself. Well, maybe #3. Hustler & The Color of Money are really hard to beat. But Pool Hall Junkies was pretty lame.

I should have added Stickmen, I just forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me, I would have given it two stars any though.

Take Care

Saggy
08-13-2008, 06:11 PM
The Worst Two Pool Movies ever made were "Shooting Gallery" and "Virgin Pockets".

cuemaker03
08-15-2008, 08:01 AM
"Racing with the moon" has one HELL of a pool shooting scene!!!! It goes for about 10 minutes. Check it out.

Seneca Steve
08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
All others pale in comparison....Oh yeah there was a boom in pool shortly after its release. But it did not bring on the hay days of pool. Those were seen during the 1930`s , so I`ve been told

LoGiC
08-15-2008, 07:01 PM
It would be hard to do what everyone wants. Lets face it, while we all love the billiards we play, but its not for everyone. Hollywood is out to sell, and a movie in depth about pool is just gonna confuse the mass public. The closest we can get is love stories like the hustler, or movies about finding yourself ie Color of Money. The rest end up like Pool Hall Junkies, which my friends loved, stickmen which was outrageous, and a good film in its own way, or like Turn the River and Shooting Gallery, which you can file however you like.

FWIW, Turn the River was an awesome movie. Not the greatest pool movie, but a great story and Famke Janssen was great in it.

BigDaddyInc.
08-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Yeah, what jay said and johnny right on! Im not ashamed of this sport or game whatever you want to call it. This game has helped me in so many positive ways even in other aspcts of my life. I like it for what it is lets not change it please.

1on1pooltournys
08-15-2008, 08:47 PM

Exactly right Mr. Helfert!!

whitey2
08-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Folks,

I wish I had more to contribute these days but...

Heads up, "The Hustler" is on AMC at 3:30 AM...

I suspect most folks either own it, or have had their fill of it for now, but in case someone wants to, or hasn't seen it, enjoy...

fan-tum
08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Can't really call it a 'pool movie', rather a low budget, gritty slice of life with a bleak outlook and with a little pool thrown in. Good acting and surprise,surprise..one-pocket is the featured game of choice.
Regrettably Famke, whom I like very much, has lost a little of her unique beauty ( hopefully as commanded by the director and make-up artist.)
I don't regret the $4.00 ppv fee.

LeagueShirts
08-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I like Edd's movie idea!

I enjoy all the pool movies, what ever I can get a hold of.

B4IFURU18
08-20-2008, 02:49 PM
1) The Hustler
2) The color of money

imo pool hall junkies was one of the worst movies I've ever seen (pool related or not). "wait! I just bought YOUR shot. now its MY shot" - that was absolutely hilarious.

fan-tum
08-20-2008, 03:17 PM
While it may not "hold back pool," it would be welcomed to have a movie with a different storyline - and one with a focus on skills. Say, a young man who works a day job and with the support of family, friends and a coach, manages to "rise-up" from small town America, to win the World 9-Ball Championship. A storyline full of character development with a "come-from-behind" theme and superior pool skills. Now that's movie I'd like to see!!
Of course let's not forget that the greatest boon ever to pool was a downbeat movie about a "Hustler". We should only hope that lightning could strike twice someday.

Z mann R2
09-11-2008, 11:31 AM

Thanks Craig
actually its was Rudolf Wanderone Jr. who was know as "New York Fats". "Minnesota Fats" is a fictional charactor in the novel the Hustler that was based on him.

Pushout
09-11-2008, 11:42 AM

Absolutely agree!! I thought it was sickening! TCoM is second after the Hustler by quite a margin. The acting was no where near as good, it appeals to the younger crowd because it's a color film and occurred in more {at the time} modern atmosphere.

metallicane
09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I always enjoyed The Baltimore Bullet. I hope they get it on DVD one day.

wayne
09-11-2008, 12:28 PM

Dave Nelson

Sometimes size matters, sometimes it doesn't. You need 200 acres for a golf course and last time I checked golf was doing pretty well. For the around the world yacht race, you need a Yacht and 35,000 miles of ocean.

Wayne

Mike Porter
09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
The Hustler is definitely #1. No mention of ?The Baron and The Kid? starring Johnny Cash?? If my memory serves me right I would probably rank it #2 or 3 at the most.

Mike

jasonlaus
09-11-2008, 01:46 PM
actually its was Rudolf Wanderone Jr. who was know as "New York Fats". "Minnesota Fats" is a fictional charactor in the novel the Hustler that was based on him.

I don't even know what to say about this.....

Pushout
09-11-2008, 03:08 PM

Wasn't based on Wanderone. Here we go, again!!

Road Warrior
09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
A question about the one pocket in Turn The River, every rack of one pocket they played started with a straight pool break not the break where you split the first and second ball, is or was the straight pool break used a lot for one pocket?

PickPocket
02-19-2016, 06:48 AM
In my opinion: (In order from best to worst)

Hustler
TCOM
The Baltimore Bullet
Pool Hall Junkies
The Baron & The Kid
Stickmen
Shooting Gallery
Turn the River
9 Ball
Kiss Shot

I've yet to see the following:
Virgin Pockets
Up Against the 8

My personal "Go to Movie" is TCOM by far, (followed by the Baltimore Bullet)

So who's going to make a modern movie SOON that belongs at least near the top of everyone's list?! (Challenged!!) :thumbup:

Corwyn_8
02-19-2016, 07:11 AM
"Pool is what it is." is a useless tautology.
"Pool is no longer what it was."
"Pool will be other than it is now."

There are those of is who wish better for pool.

Thank you kindly.

SARDiver
02-19-2016, 07:21 AM
I would say The Color of Money, which only wins out because it is slightly more of a "pool movie" than The Hustler. The Hustler was a love story with pool as a backdrop, and about the maturation of Felson. The Hustler was definitely the better movie, though.

TCOM used pool much more to show how Felson and Vinny changed over time.

Ak Guy
02-19-2016, 09:37 AM
I have mixed emotions about pool movies as all to often they portray what is shady, dysfunctional people instead of the thousands of decent people that love the game.

I gre up in the hey day of Paul Newman, George C. Scott, Jackie Gleason, Hope Lange, etc. and they were good actors capable of making good believable characters. Tom Cruise is not way up there on my list of good actors though.

So I guess the original Hustler movie is my favorite. Even if it does portray the negative side of pool.

ChicagoRJ
02-19-2016, 01:21 PM
"DOUBLE OR NOTHING" Best pool movie of all time. (ok it's still not better than the Hustler) It just has not been made yet. I'm still shopping the screenplay. No takers. Might have to do one of those low budget indie specials with no stars and lots of "volunteers" where we make a movie for $30K and hope to hit it big.

If anyone knows a "Hollywood" guy I can send the screenplay to, you will get PRODUCER credit on the movie and a 5% stake of all profits. I KID you not.

Just tired of not getting this made, especially seeing some of the junk that gets green lighted out there right now. Spent 2 years writing this, and I'm tired of looking at it sit there collecting dust. Got a few "tire kickers" but not what they were looking for right now. I guess the remake of Gilligans Island takes priority ;)

philly
02-19-2016, 01:41 PM
"DOUBLE OR NOTHING" Best pool movie of all time. (ok it's still not better than the Hustler) It just has not been made yet. I'm still shopping the screenplay. No takers. Might have to do one of those low budget indie specials with no stars and lots of "volunteers" where we make a movie for $30K and hope to hit it big.

If anyone knows a "Hollywood" guy I can send the screenplay to, you will get PRODUCER credit on the movie and a 5% stake of all profits. I KID you not.

Just tired of not getting this made, especially seeing some of the junk that gets green lighted out there right now. Spent 2 years writing this, and I'm tired of looking at it sit there collecting dust. Got a few "tire kickers" but not what they were looking for right now. I guess the remake of Gilligans Island takes priority ;)

Good for you RJ. I hope you are successful in this endeavor. You are obviously a multi faceted individual.

thenuke
02-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Though not a great movie, Pool Hall Master, is an independently produced movie by Joe Santos of San Antonio. Has several good players in it, some good playing. Worth having in your collection.

1outofthemoney
02-19-2016, 09:12 PM
I would have to say either The Hustler or The Color Of Money. I have watched both of those multiple times

spartan
02-19-2016, 09:30 PM
The Hustler of Money is not bad
https://youtube.com/watch?v=aVk5Se6gVTE
:D

vacation
02-19-2016, 10:19 PM
I personally have to respect Wandering Ginza Butterfly as it was my first time seeing 3 cushion. Classic pinky violence with a great 3 cushion finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qK4VOziKVI

Also, finally watched THE RACK PACK this weekend, and absolutely loved it. Highly recommended.

DogsPlayingPool
02-19-2016, 11:07 PM
For my choice I'll give you a clue - read my signature. ;)

Swighey
02-20-2016, 06:19 AM
The Hustler is a sensational movie and up there with the very best movies of all time regardless of whether or not it's a pool movie. The Color of Money is a very good movie in it's own right despite being a sequel to one of the best movies of the 20th century. It does pool well too. The Baltimore Bullet is very entertaining, a bit "hokey" (to quote a 2plus2 poster) and a good feel good movie. It stays true to pool too. The Pool Hustlers (an Italian billiard movie) was good as was Billy The Kid and The Green Baize Vampire (a "musical" of sorts about snooker) and I have heard that the Rack Pack is worth a watch but haven't seen it yet. .

So in pure pool terms:

1. The Hustler
2. The Color of Money
3, The Baltimore Bullet
4. ......why did they bother?

scsuxci
02-20-2016, 10:44 AM
The girl exiting the Pool in the movie '' Fast Times at Ridgemount High'':wink:

9andout
02-20-2016, 11:06 AM
For my choice I'll give you a clue - read my signature. ;)

Capital One commercial?;)

DogsPlayingPool
02-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Capital One commercial?;)

Hah, no. The signature at the bottom of my posts is a line from the end of The Hustler (perhaps you have sigs turned off). :thumbup:

jb1911
02-20-2016, 01:58 PM

1) The Hustler - ****

4) Super Cue Men - **

5) Pool Hall Junkies - *

time.

7) The Player:

Thanks Craig
I've seen 1, 2, 3 and 5. Watched the Hustler probably 20 times going back to my childhood in the late 50s early 60s. Seen the Color of Money maybe 3 times. The others I only watched once.