PDA

View Full Version : The Great Southern Billiard Tour Announces Dates for Amateur Events

coop19772002
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
The Great Southern Billiard Tour would like to thank Mike Janis and The Viking Amateur Tour for a great job that they have done in promoting amateur events. It has been brought to my attention that amateur participation is booming here in the south. Therefore, we have decided to add amateur events to our schedule. Due to the declining business in pool rooms over the last year, we feel it is necessary to offer our room owners an opportunity for successful events. At this time, amateur events are proving the way to go. We will continue to have open events as shown in our 2008 schedule. As a player myself, it is my number one priority to make pool the absoulute BEST sport on all levels- open and amateur. I will strive to make The Great Southern Billiard Tour fair and enjoyable to all competitors. If anyone has any suggestions or questions please contact me. Thanks for your continued support!

Sincerely,

Shannon Daulton

Check out our schedule and rules: http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=5570

Fatboy
08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Wow this is great!!! I wish we had that out here in Vegas and LA, We need something like this. I'm banned from any "B" tournment, or would be if I played in one they would have me figured out fast. But I dont have a snow balls chance in hell of winning a open tournment-unless some act of God occoured ;). There are ALOT of players stuck in that level and sounds like you hit the nail on the head!!! Hurry up and do something on the West Coast, to give pool a kick in the ass.

thanks

eric

kevin s
08-12-2008, 10:18 PM
You know I will be there if at all possible. :thumbup: I'm really looking foward to the one at Diamonds in Chattanooga.

Dagwoodz
08-12-2008, 10:48 PM
This is great news to everyone as it gives even more options to people in where they play, and not being forced to drive however long to a tournament two states away with sky high fuel costs. (along with all the other increase in costs). Its also good for the room owners in that they'll have increased crowds for these events, bringing in more concession sales from a notoriously "cheap" crowd. (meaning pool players) I like the idea of the alternate break format for these too. This is good for everyone involved, to include the open players. The increased revenue the rooms see from these amateur events may cause the added monies for the open events grow. (Again, dealing with the pool community...historical penny pinchers) hopefully this will continue to grow until there are events like these all across the country, not just the SE states. One other added benefit is the increase in participation could lead to more outside sponsors...food for thought. Great job SD for doing what he can to promote the game we're addicted to, and as well to MJ for getting the amateur movement going. Awesome...

Dags

Eagleshot
08-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Crockett will get an earfull I guarantee it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shannon and Marge - I will get crockett to committ or die trying.

When do you want one in Chattanooga - I will make it happen!!

Kevin S. I need your help with K town players - Arbin, Green, even K town D

We need to guarantee 75 - should not be a problem with enough notice

Fatboy
08-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Well, I just got in from beating the balls into the rails, but I won-but I'd rather play better and lose than play bad and win. I'm a amature thats for sure, real amature tonight.

While I was playing I was thinking about the amature league discussed here and the criteria, and I dont know how long it took to put this together but wow what a plan, everyone wins. Being on the West Coast my whole life I have watched pool die a slow death since about 89, much of it due to no origanization. Some rooms had tournments that were handicapped for the people who played there everyday, I had to give a guy 4 on the wire to 7 he was rated so low, I lost the toss and he broke and ran the first rack, 1 game on the wire was the right weight, I lost I dont remember the score. The fix was in, that was in REno with a USPPA room, he was rated a 17 it dosent get lower than that. Gene Stary had a good plan but everyone sandbagged at every room so if you wernt "one of the boy's" in a room you couldnt go out of town and have a shot. Tony Annigoni has cleaned it up I heard.

With organization like this seems like everyone wins. Then Shannon giving an hours lession is worth $100-$150 on top of everything else, hands on support and work like that will make this endevour successful. The rooms have to love it. And guys like me who play better than a B player but cant win a open tornment have something to play in that legit. If its worth doing, its worth doing for $$$-so I dont see a problem at all with Shannon or who ever earning a living at this, none of us work for free. We all gotta eat. So you cant knock that and he is doing it hands on because he is throwing in a lession, what else can a amature want that dosent want to play in a league? but wants to play in solid tournments. Wow. If we had this in Ca there might just be a few pool rooms left.

I wish everyone success with all the amature tours, Mike Janice, Shannon and everyone else.

Mike Templeton
08-13-2008, 02:45 AM
One thing I like is the 50% discount for league players. It will be nice to pay $25 to play to help offset the expenses (gas and other) to get to the events.

I have played in many of Shannon's events, and I know this will be a great tour. I look forward to playing as much as possible.

Good luck Shannon and Marge.................

Mike

gamecocksfan81
08-13-2008, 05:22 AM
This is great! Glad to see we are having some of these amateur events in South Carolina which really helps me make it out with the cost of gas.

cubc
08-13-2008, 05:29 AM
Too many tours will thin out the players. Then it will no longer appear to be "booming".

Ktown D
08-13-2008, 05:35 AM
Hey...........turn my head for a minute and look what happens.

I look forward to playing in some of these events and I will do what I can to see that we get the participation necessary to keep this going. If the room owners are happy then there will be no shortage of events for the "regular" guys to play in and be competitive. I like the limited amount of high finishes a player can have and I think with alternate break it will open the field a little more.

I look forward to seeing you guys around this way soon.

Ktown D
08-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Too many tours will thin out the players. Then it will no longer appear to be "booming".
If the geographic issues are worked out and tournaments do not overlap each other, I think there are enough amateur players and there will be enough "boom" to go around.

Dagwoodz
08-13-2008, 06:07 AM
If the geographic issues are worked out and tournaments do not overlap each other, I think there are enough amateur players and there will be enough "boom" to go around.

Dead on the money. All it takes is a little coordination. There are plenty of amateur players to go around.

Dags

DeadPoked
08-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Hope to see these events coming through Fayetteville soon.

corvette1340
08-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Shannon, Can B Whizzle play in these? lol.

Ktown D
08-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Shannon, Can B Whizzle play in these? lol.
He was a topic of converstion I am sure;) but since he has won an open event recently he wouldn't be eligible for at least a calendar year. Whether or not he becomes eligible is still up in the air.:shrug:

Dagwoodz
08-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Another thing about the geographic locations of Amateur tournaments to one another...the Viking Amateur tour seems to be operating primarily in the Georgia area, and the GSTB operating primarily in the NC/SC area. Not too much conflict that I can see.

Dags

coop19772002
08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Hope to see these events coming through Fayetteville soon.

We won't be having any this year for the simple fact that we are at King Street Billiards this weekend for our OPEN event and in November for The Players 10-Ball Championships. But for the 2009 season we plan to have amateur events coming your way.

coop19772002
08-13-2008, 09:19 AM
We need some input from you - the players. One thing that has been brought to my attention is that by excluding any player that has ever won a national event-(refer to "c." below) under this criteria the jr. nationals would be included. I am wondering how everyone feels about excluding the jr. nationals as a national event? I just think that in promoting amateur pool we want our juniors to be as involoved as possible. There are few rooms that allow juniors in to play these days but I think we should give them the opportunity to play where permitted. What do ya'll think? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Player Ineligibility
a. any player who has won any open event in 2008
b. any player who has ever been a touring professional
c. any player who has ever won a national championship in an open, master, or grand master division
d. any player who wins five or more amateur events on any tour combined in one calendar year (January-January)
e. any player who wins three amateur events on the GSBT in 2008
f. any player that finishes in the top three or better nine times on any amateur tour in 2008

For any of those players that fly under the radar around the country and have snuck into an event in the past on another tour, please know that if you are known by the Tour Director not to be a true amateur player you will not be allowed to play. All entries will be at the discretion of the tour staff/management.

easy-e
08-13-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm down with the kids playing.

Dagwoodz
08-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Let them play until they no longer meet eligibility requirements. JMHO though.

Dags

Tom In Cincy
08-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Quick question....

is the 50% off the entry fee of $50? or are the green fees and admin fees excluded?

coop19772002
08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Quick question....

is the 50% off the entry fee of $50? or are the green fees and admin fees excluded?

a. all events (open/amateur) minimum $1000 1st place guaranteed
b. alternate breaks, rack your own
c. races to eight winners, eight losers ? true double elimination finals
d. Texas Express Rules
e. all APA (American Poolplayers Association) and BCA (Billiard Congress of America) members- any and all leagues receive a 50% discounted entry fee
f. all active military members receive a 50% discounted entry fee - $25 entry includes gr. fee/ admin. fee
g. all women receive a 50% discounted entry fee plus $50 for highest finisher - $25 entry includes gr. fee/ admin. fee
h. all juniors (14 & under) receive 50% discounted entry fee - $25 entry includes gr. fee/ admin. fee
i. all seniors (60 & up) receive 50% discounted entry fee- $25 entry includes gr. fee/ admin. fee
j. all entry fees are a total of $50 ($30 entry+$10 green fee+$10 administrative fee)
i. if you already have a tour card for the GSBT open events, there is no need to purchase another card for amateur events ? one card will cover both divisions
j. any player that wins an amateur event will receive a 50% discounted entry fee into the tour championship/season finale

Great question b/c it doesn't specify here- if any player is recieving a 50% discount for any of the highlighted above will need to pay $25. (green fees / admistrative fees) are included in this figure granted you are already a tour memeber - if not $20 for a tour card wil be needed.

Ktown D
08-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Let them play until they no longer meet eligibility requirements. JMHO though.

Dags
And now I agree with you........we gotta stop doing that.:thumbup:

stick8
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
We need some input from you - the players. One thing that has been brought to my attention is that by excluding any player that has ever won a national event-(refer to "c." below) under this criteria the jr. nationals would be included. I am wondering how everyone feels about excluding the jr. nationals as a national event? I just think that in promoting amateur pool we want our juniors to be as involoved as possible. There are few rooms that allow juniors in to play these days but I think we should give them the opportunity to play where permitted. What do ya'll think? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Player Ineligibility
a. any player who has won any open event in 2008
b. any player who has ever been a touring professional
c. any player who has ever won a national championship in an open, master, or grand master division
d. any player who wins five or more amateur events on any tour combined in one calendar year (January-January)
e. any player who wins three amateur events on the GSBT in 2008
f. any player that finishes in the top three or better nine times on any amateur tour in 2008

For any of those players that fly under the radar around the country and have snuck into an event in the past on another tour, please know that if you are known by the Tour Director not to be a true amateur player you will not be allowed to play. All entries will be at the discretion of the tour staff/management.
Shannon not trying to compaier you with outher tours, but what about us old guys??? STICK liveley 70yr any help as i am on ssi???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

coop19772002
08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Shannon not trying to compaier you with outher tours, but what about us old guys??? STICK liveley 70yr any help as i am on ssi???:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Stick,

Our discounted fees are for League players, Ladies, Military, Juniors, & Seniors. (Old farts is what I like to call you) lol:D

Leagues: Any league (APA, BCA, Valley, TAP, ect.) Must be an active league player w/ membership card

Ladies: Non-touring professionals as listed in the criteria for elibility

Military: Active military w/ valid ID

Juniors: Any player under the age of 14

Seniors: Any player OVER the age of 60

*All players must provide an ID- excluding Juniors obviously they don't have one.

The discounted entry is $25. That includes your green fee & admin. fee. So, if you are a current 2008 GSBT member that would be all that you will be required to pay.

There should be no reason you shouldn't play. Hope all is well in GA! Take care, bud.

Shannon

DoubleA
08-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Good luck Shannon, I think this is great. Player response will be very good IMO.

gregthcarpenter
08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
IMO the discount for league players is to mutch. What pot is the money coming out of? If comes out off the green fees/admin. fees there is less money for the TD (who makes his living running the tour) if comes out of the tournament fund each player is only contributing 5$ to the pot .

What do you think??????

Ky Boy
08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Shannon,

Bring one back home, bro!! Kentucky needs a good amateur tourney once a year. I think it would be as great a success as anywhere else. Take all the Ky fans from DCC and it would be a ghost town. IMO

Don't forget your 'Old Kentucky Home'!! Surely some room owner would love to host such an event!!

Gary

MikeJanis
08-13-2008, 07:27 PM
The Great Southern Billiard Tour would like to thank Mike Janis and The Viking Amateur Tour for a great job that they have done in promoting amateur events. Snip, Snip

Sincerely,

Shannon Daulton

Thanks Shannon,

Mj

stick8
08-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Stick,

Our discounted fees are for League players, Ladies, Military, Juniors, & Seniors. (Old farts is what I like to call you) lol:D

Leagues: Any league (APA, BCA, Valley, TAP, ect.) Must be an active league player w/ membership card

Ladies: Non-touring professionals as listed in the criteria for elibility

Military: Active military w/ valid ID

Juniors: Any player under the age of 14

Seniors: Any player OVER the age of 60

*All players must provide an ID- excluding Juniors obviously they don't have one.

The discounted entry is $25. That includes your green fee & admin. fee. So, if you are a current 2008 GSBT member that would be all that you will be required to pay.

There should be no reason you shouldn't play. Hope all is well in GA! Take care, bud.

Shannon
thanks for the come back there DOUGEBOY bet you havent heard that in a while!!i memember you when they would not let you play at the wagon whell you were a young feller of 13 i thinkme and the wife use to go there long ago.LO LO but you would be on side action taken the cheese!!! goood memeries, thanks and best of luck to you and the beautiful lady!!!!:grin-square: :grin-square: :grin-square: :grin-square:

coop19772002
08-13-2008, 08:11 PM
IMO the discount for league players is to mutch. What pot is the money coming out of? If comes out off the green fees/admin. fees there is less money for the TD (who makes his living running the tour) if comes out of the tournament fund each player is only contributing 5$ to the pot .

What do you think??????

Greg,

Out of the $25 entry fee $13 will go into the tourney and $12 will go to the green fee/admin. fee. We have never tried to make a huge amount of money running this tour and hope that this venture will help the sport of pool grow. If amateurs do not continue to play then any type of tourneys will die.

I, myself have played several regional events thoughout my career and have tried to run tourneys the way I would have wanted them as a player. Again, I am still new to this and am learning more and more every event.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Shannon

gregthcarpenter
08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Shannon, I have played in several of your events in the the Greenville area and one in columbia and have always had a great time ( 2 and out in most events) and I lool forward to playing in your amt. tour.