PDA

View Full Version : shaft length

starburst
08-13-2008, 04:43 AM
If I put a 30" shaft on a 29" butt, will it play differently if I used a 29" shaft instead?

Does the extra inch add substantial weight on the cue and therefor change its balance point?

Thanks

RiverCity
08-13-2008, 05:00 AM
The weight itself is not substantial, but it will play differently, and you will find yourself fouling the cue ball alot ( I did anyways). Back hand tends to grip the but in the same place relative to the wrap, so the extra inch is sticking out the bridge hand.
I am a big guy with a long wingspan, I have tried up to a 32" shaft.... but Im back to a regular 29" shaft 58" cue. it just feels right.
Chuck

StevenPWaldon
08-13-2008, 05:16 AM
It won't play much differently. I have a number of shafts, and their individual tapers and sizes make the only real difference.

If I put a 30" shaft on a 29" butt, will it play differently if I used a 29" shaft instead?

Does the extra inch add substantial weight on the cue and therefor change its balance point?

Thanks

RRfireblade
08-13-2008, 06:55 AM
All things being equal , you would probably never be able to tell one shaft is longer than the other. I've had many cues over the years with more that one shaft and there were variances of up to an inch between depending on when and where some shafts came from.

Playability of course is a different question as rarely do 2 different shafts 'play' exactly the same.

TripXQ
08-13-2008, 07:16 AM
It all depends on 'your' sensitivity in 'your' fingers. The extra length will add a little forward balance to the cue.(Maybe as much as 0.5 inch). This depends on how much change in weight and taper differential is present.
Many players just aren't sensitive to the differences. Give it a try. You can always remove an inch if you don't like it.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool:

ratcues
08-13-2008, 07:28 AM
It takes a lot more than a player thinks to move the balance point of a cue. One inch of maple won't make a difference there but I do think there will be an ever so slight change in the play.

poohkiller
08-13-2008, 07:32 AM
It takes a lot more than a player thinks to move the balance point of a cue. One inch of maple won't make a difference there but I do think there will be an ever so slight change in the play.

That is what I was meant to say too. I don't think that a 1 inch longer shaft would move the balance point by 0.5 inch... I guess, however, that (if the taper is the same as the other, regular length shaft) the longer shaft will vibrate more.

ratcues
08-13-2008, 07:50 AM
would move the balance point by 0.5 inch...

Maybe more around .005"

poohkiller
08-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Maybe more around .005"

Thanks, that is what I wanted to imply...

starburst
08-15-2008, 06:09 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I have thought that the extra inch would move the balance point but thank you for pointing out the possibility that a longer shaft would vibrate more.

tjlmbklr
08-15-2008, 06:28 AM
The weight itself is not substantial, but it will play differently, and you will find yourself fouling the cue ball alot ( I did anyways). Back hand tends to grip the but in the same place relative to the wrap, so the extra inch is sticking out the bridge hand.
I am a big guy with a long wingspan, I have tried up to a 32" shaft.... but Im back to a regular 29" shaft 58" cue. it just feels right.
Chuck

I amen that. I never tried a longer shaft, but a whole longer cue 30/30" split. At first I tough this was the cats pajamas since I have a 76" reach and I was gripping on the bottom of the cues but on a standard 58". I have since went back to standard cues and think that this was abig hurdle that was keeping me from improving.

And when I don't have my cues and have to use a house or friends cue going back and forth to a 58" to a 60" gets difficult.

tjlmbklr
08-15-2008, 06:30 AM
It won't play much differently. I have a number of shafts, and their individual tapers and sizes make the only real difference.

I think depends on the person. I have a friend that had a new tip put on. That extra 5 mm that the new tip had over his old worn tip was causing him to bump the CB and foul.

poolhustler
08-15-2008, 07:38 AM
I think depends on the person. I have a friend that had a new tip put on. That extra 5 mm that the new tip had over his old worn tip was causing him to bump the CB and foul.

I have the same problem. I cue real close to the cue ball on my practice strokes. I just had a new Moori put on my Starkey with a pad. It is so tall that I have been fouling the cue ball. I am going to cut the tip down!!

Starburst: regrding your question, you need to try out the different lengths and see what works for you. All cues/shafts hit differently and I personally don't beleive that +1" will make the main differnece for you.

All my playing cues are +1" and some of them just don't feel right due to taper, stiffness, etc.

Russ.....

starburst
08-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I'll give it a try, hopefully it works fine for me since I need to put a bit weight at the front of my cue.