PDA

View Full Version : Cue Club Table #7

DeadStrokeMan
03-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Hey all
Was shootin' at the cue club in 'vegas this saturday (horribly bad too :( )

I think the table was a brunswick - the pockets were VERY VERY TIGHT -

I boggled about 20 shots. Does anyone know what that table is? Table #7 - Are the pockets "shimmed"?

How can I make my '42 Sportsman tight like that? Possible?

aztd
03-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes, it is a Brunswick Gold Grown. And yes, it is shimmed very tight. I've played on it many times as do most of the guys who gamble and play one pocket. It used to be No 9 Ball allowed on that table for years.

Just have the guy who recovers your table shim up the pockets to 4 1/2" or what ever your comfortable with next time you recover your table.

Tommy D

DeadStrokeMan
03-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Yes, it is a Brunswick Gold Grown. And yes, it is shimmed very tight. I've played on it many times as do most of the guys who gamble and play one pocket. It used to be No 9 Ball allowed on that table for years.

Just have the guy who recovers your table shim up the pockets to 4 1/2" or what ever your comfortable with next time you recover your table.

Tommy D

Thanx Tommy - I shot like I shoot on my table ... "quick down the rail" stuff ect. ...then I look up and WHAT? The ball is still on the table! This means my table has trained me to shoot "wide" - Holes too big. Gonna recloth with 860 and shim it tight now. Doggin' on the big screen wasn't fun :D

Rude Dog
03-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanx Tommy - I shot like I shoot on my table ... "quick down the rail" stuff ect. ...then I look up and WHAT? The ball is still on the table! This means my table has trained me to shoot "wide" - Holes too big. Gonna recloth with 860 and shim it tight now. Doggin' on the big screen wasn't fun :D
Hey DeadStrokeMan, the table you and I played on wasn't exactly loose either. Too tight is worse than too loose, IMO. It changes the game way too much and your stroke will suffer because of it. Peace, John.

P.S., thanks for the game, good to meet you too.

DeadStrokeMan
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Hey DeadStrokeMan, the table you and I played on wasn't exactly loose either. Too tight is worse than too loose, IMO. It changes the game way too much and your stroke will suffer because of it. Peace, John.

P.S., thanks for the game, good to meet you too.

Hey ! Twas a blast shootin' with ya. I was exhausted when we played and just
didn't have that "winning spirit". Hope we do play smore. How often do ya get down to the cue club?

Rude Dog
03-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Hey ! Twas a blast shootin' with ya. I was exhausted when we played and just
didn't have that "winning spirit". Hope we do play smore. How often do ya get down to the cue club?
I'll be there again at the end of this month for the tournament at the Rum Runner. Maybe we can play again then. Peace, John.

vagabond
03-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey all
Was shootin' at the cue club in 'vegas this saturday (horribly bad too :( )

I think the table was a brunswick - the pockets were VERY VERY TIGHT -

I boggled about 20 shots. Does anyone know what that table is? Table #7 - Are the pockets "shimmed"?

How can I make my '42 Sportsman tight like that? Possible?

Howdy,
I like table # 7
Vagabond

cardiac kid
03-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Howdy,
I like table # 7
Vagabond

Hi vagabond,

If my memory serves me correctly, tables one through nine are all the same shimmed Gold Crown III's. Ernesto did a great job last April re-doing the tables. I sat and watched him work for about an hour. What a craftsman! I played on his latest creations in Sacramento last week. All new rails with the pockets cut to 3 7/8". NO SHIMS!!!!! I thought I died and went to heaven. Couldn't run more than three racks of 14.1. Banks played true. How lucky the players there are. I bet too few know and appreciate the conditions they've been given.

cardiac kid
03-09-2005, 11:46 AM

Hi John,

Which table would you prefer to play on? One with five inch pockets where the rail ends are not mirror images of each other or 3 7/8 inch pockets that are perfectly shaped. I'd prefer the smaller pockets.

Good luck at the Andy Mercer. I thought about flying out for it. Truthfully, I don't like the format. A race to six nine ball with the winner breaking is suicide to me. I break OK but, I've watched King Kong, Edwin Martel and Trick Sixty break and run six racks and out once too many times at the Mercer. I also don't like the "Sourdough" rack they use. Just my opinion. I looked for you at the Reno Bar Box last week. I thought you might come up.

Rude Dog
03-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi John,

Which table would you prefer to play on? One with five inch pockets where the rail ends are not mirror images of each other or 3 7/8 inch pockets that are perfectly shaped. I'd prefer the smaller pockets.

Good luck at the Andy Mercer. I thought about flying out for it. Truthfully, I don't like the format. A race to six nine ball with the winner breaking is suicide to me. I break OK but, I've watched King Kong, Edwin Martel and Trick Sixty break and run six racks and out once too many times at the Mercer. I also don't like the "Sourdough" rack they use. Just my opinion. I looked for you at the Reno Bar Box last week. I thought you might come up.
I don't care for loose pockets either because they tend to cause bad habits with my game. But, if I had my choice between extremely tight and extremely loose, I'm going with the latter. I'd rather be able to cheat the pockets, let whitey go once in awhile, and not worry about hanging a ball in the hole for my money. Practicing on a tight table isn't so bad because my money isn't hanging in the hole for the next guy to steal from me. The Andy Mercer tournament is one that I've never played before and I agree it can be brutal in a race to 6, winner breaks format, but my game still isn't sharp the way it used to be and I gotta play whenever I get the chance. Peace, John.

DeadStrokeMan
03-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Hi vagabond,

If my memory serves me correctly, tables one through nine are all the same shimmed Gold Crown III's. Ernesto did a great job last April re-doing the tables. I sat and watched him work for about an hour. What a craftsman! I played on his latest creations in Sacramento last week. All new rails with the pockets cut to 3 7/8". NO SHIMS!!!!! I thought I died and went to heaven. Couldn't run more than three racks of 14.1. Banks played true. How lucky the players there are. I bet too few know and appreciate the conditions they've been given.

So how can I get a hold of Mr. Ernesto? Get a price for him doing my '42 sportsman like that.

nfty9er
03-09-2005, 08:06 PM
So how can I get a hold of Mr. Ernesto? Get a price for him doing my '42 sportsman like that.

His advertisement in the On The Wire newspaper under classifieds.
(818)362-5636 (L.A.)

cardiac kid
03-09-2005, 10:40 PM
The Andy Mercer tournament is one that I've never played before and I agree it can be brutal in a race to 6, winner breaks format, but my game still isn't sharp the way it used to be and I gotta play whenever I get the chance. Peace, John.

Hi John,

I believe the tournament tables will be (are) recovered before the Mercer. Each match is pre-scheduled so you always know when you play. The player auction Thursday evening is awesome!!!!!! I'd suggest you make the hour and a half drive to the Rum Runner and get some table time there. Good luck to you. Keep us AZ'ers informed as to your progress!

Jack Flanagan
03-16-2005, 11:41 PM
just sliding thru,,,,,,,,,

DeadStrokeMan
04-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Anyone know 'OJ' that plays down there regularly? - We played #7 for about 4 hours solid last week. Was a blast. Took me FOREVER to find those tiny holes :)

Once I did - *bingo* ...twas like normal. That was the last two sets ..by then, my brother really needed to head out - so I guess we'll "meet again" :D

Nice person -OJ - If you're online - say hello.

Tablemechanic
04-06-2005, 03:46 AM
That table should have 4" corner pockets with 5" side pockets.

I have setup a lot of tables that way by redoing the rails and rubber. The table will only have one faceing on it when it is done.

I am the inhouse mechanic for Hard Times Bellflower, so pm me if you need any help.

Steve

Fliedout
04-21-2005, 12:57 PM
I just got back from 4 days in Vegas--spent a couple hours one afternoon at the Cue Club. The table I ended up with was a piece of garbage--maybe because I wasn't a regular and didn't have a cue with me. I played the next day at Pool Sharks and had a much better experience.

cardiac kid
04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Hi fliedout,

When you entered the Cue Club, did you play on one of the tables to your right? The 4.5 x 9's were probably numbered from one to six or seven? If you went to the left to play, you probably played where the "kids" are sent. Some bar box tables and a few 4.5 x 9's, real dark, near the short order kitchen and vending machines. Next time you go in, ask to speak to Greg or Henry. They'll get you set up with better equipment. Tell them "Rochester, NY" sent you. Perhaps I'll see you in May at the BCA's! Good luck.