PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought on Viking Tour Championship

DawgAndy
03-09-2005, 05:33 AM
Maybe I'm outa line... shouldn't you have to play on a tour to be eligible to play in their "championship"? Of the top 8 in Chicago only 2 guys played any events other than last years championship. I'm not knocking the players who do this but it doesn't seem quite right. Anyone else feel this way or am I just cranking this morning?

Andy

jjinfla
03-09-2005, 05:58 AM
It all depends on what you mean by Championship.

It must be an "open" Championship rather than a "regular tour" Championship. (I made those terms up).

But I think you are right and I think most tours require a player to have played a few times during the season in order to be eligible for their Championship finale.

Makes sense to me.

Unless the Championship game is completely separate from the tour.

Jake

MikeJanis
03-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Maybe I'm outa line... shouldn't you have to play on a tour to be eligible to play in their "championship"? Of the top 8 in Chicago only 2 guys played any events other than last years championship. I'm not knocking the players who do this but it doesn't seem quite right. Anyone else feel this way or am I just cranking this morning?

Andy

Andy, your statement is not correct. Here is a partial breakdown of the top 8 players participation from the Viking Tour database.

1st Niels Feijen $5000 - Played on the tour in 1998 and 1999 and played in one other regular event last season.
2nd Troy Frank $3500 - has played in my tournaments and on the tour since 1992 he is one of our first members. His membership # is 82. i estimate that he has played about 100 Viking Tour events.
3rd Ike Runnels $2500 - has played every year on the tour since 1997
4th Marco Marquez $2000 - has played every year and won many events since 1998
5th/6th James Baraks, Earl Strickland $1500 - both have played on the tour in many local and championship events - Earl since 2001 Jamie since 03. Jmie has won every regular event he has played in but Earl has never won a regular local event in his many tries.
7th/8th Santos Sambajon, John Macias $1000 - Santos has played in many events every year since 2000 and Little John played in 1 regular event and 2 championship events.

Respectfully,

Mike Janis

DawgAndy
03-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Mike
I stand corrected ( a little). I was going by in the money finishes not just participation. And I was going by last year only. My bad.

gulfportdoc
03-10-2005, 07:06 AM
I understand this to mean that if a player has ever played in a Viking event from any year, he would then be eligilble to play next year's Championship.

Doc

DawgAndy
03-10-2005, 09:26 AM
I was trying to make the point about non tour members playing in the Championship Tournament.
http://www.vikingcue.com/pages/9ball/2004tour.html
From this I gather you can join the tour at the Championship Tournament. Never mind I lost my train of thought. :rolleyes:
Anyway I'm not knocking the tour or how Mike runs it, keep up the good work and I'll see you during the next Ohio swing.

MikeJanis
03-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Anayone can join the Viking Tour at anytime. However it is most beneficial to the individual player to join the tour as early in our season as possible. Our tour card (only $20) is good for one tour year. That does not necessarily mean a calendar year. The current tour season/year starts at the end of the last tour championship which was March 6th, 2005 and will end after the next tour championship. Players that bought their tour card in December 03 still had a valid tour card through the last tour championship March 05. Players that bought a tour card in February 05 had there tour card expire at the same time as everyone else (March 6th, 2005).

Also, players that only opt to play in championship events pay a higher registration fee. The fee at our last championship to non tour member was $100. The fee to members was only $40. The fee for our regional in atlanta to Viking Tour members was only $55 and to non tour members it was $95.

The bottom line is that YES anyone can join the tour at anytime and play in our events, even the championship events. it's just gonna cost you more to do it that way.

Mj

Mike Templeton
03-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Anayone can join the Viking Tour at anytime. However it is most beneficial to the individual player to join the tour as early in our season as possible. Our tour card (only $20) is good for one tour year. That does not necessarily mean a calendar year. The current tour season/year starts at the end of the last tour championship which was March 6th, 2005 and will end after the next tour championship. Players that bought their tour card in December 03 still had a valid tour card through the last tour championship March 05. Players that bought a tour card in February 05 had there tour card expire at the same time as everyone else (March 6th, 2005).

Also, players that only opt to play in championship events pay a higher registration fee. The fee at our last championship to non tour member was $100. The fee to members was only $40. The fee for our regional in atlanta to Viking Tour members was only $55 and to non tour members it was $95.

The bottom line is that YES anyone can join the tour at anytime and play in our events, even the championship events. it's just gonna cost you more to do it that way.

Mj
Mj,

While we're posting, I want to let you know that I enjoyed playing the Viking events this year. You run a great tournament.

I'm looking forward to next year as well.

Mike

MikeJanis
03-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Mj,

While we're posting, I want to let you know that I enjoyed playing the Viking events this year. You run a great tournament.

I'm looking forward to next year as well.

Mike

Tahnks Mike T.

You may not have to wait until next year. Many room owners in the south have contacted me and requested a stop at thier locations. I will most likely be setting some up in April and May in your area this year.

Also, we are still seeking additiononal new locations in the South. If you know of any rooms that you think might be interested please have them call me at 800-200-7665.

Mj