PDA

View Full Version : Cue for a new player...

bhouse5
03-11-2005, 11:55 AM
My friends have convinced me to fill the extra spot on their team for 9 ball. I wanted to know what kind of cue everyone would reccomend for a new player... Looking to spend around $200... So what do you think and where would be the best places to look.... Thanks

Wally in Cincy
03-11-2005, 12:01 PM
You can get a pretty decent American-made McDermott for that.

http://www.hawleys.com/mcdermot/mcdermo3.htm

check this out for $151

http://www.hawleys.com/mcdermot/M4-3K.htm

DrCue'sProtege
03-11-2005, 02:13 PM
listen to Wally, he knows.
for $200 there are probably alot of decent cues you can consider. Cuetec, in my opinion, would also be a good choice. just remember, the tip is the most important part of the cue.

just my $.02.
DCP

scottycoyote
03-11-2005, 02:54 PM
i dont know......the problem is 200 bucks is kind of in the middle. Cant really get a nice stick but its more than youd spend on something used. If you dont know what you like yet, my advice would be to find a nice used sneakypete, or even a new one, i just bought a custom steve klein sneaky off of ebay for 170. Then if you decide to really get into pool, you might want something nicer where youll end up spending 4 or 500, maybe more. But youll always have room for a nice sneakypete to play with, if youre going somewhere rough and you dont want to take your nice cue, or trying to get into a money game and dont want to scare someone off with a nice cue.

1pRoscoe
03-11-2005, 03:40 PM
I second the McDermott. Check out the link in my sig, email the owner at joerackem@aol.com, mention my name and this board and you'll get another 5% off.

Most of them have free shipping, case, etc.

Jude Rosenstock
03-11-2005, 03:53 PM
My friends have convinced me to fill the extra spot on their team for 9 ball. I wanted to know what kind of cue everyone would reccomend for a new player... Looking to spend around $200... So what do you think and where would be the best places to look.... Thanks

Go to Seyberts.com Just about everything they sell, I recommend and their prices are about as good as they get.

vapoolplayer
03-11-2005, 06:33 PM
can't you get a plain lucasi for around 200 or so??? i haven't shot much with one, but i hear good things.

oldhasbeen likes them, so i'm sure they're worth something :D

VAP

lukeinva
03-11-2005, 07:11 PM

You should got to a cue maker and get a sneaky pete most cue makers start thier cues around $200 sometimes less. Check those out they are the best IMO you can get a good quality cue for what is considered not alot of money!
Check them out on www.easypooltutor.com they have a list of cue makers. The only problem sometimes is it may take a couple months to get it as it will be built to your specs!

Zims Rack
03-12-2005, 06:27 AM
I have a custom Dominiak plain jane with Dominator shaft for $200. It comes with a pressed irish linen wrap, black phenolic butt cap and joint and the Dominator shaft has a Moori tip on it.

Zim

pete lafond
03-12-2005, 06:45 AM
I have a custom Dominiak plain jane with Dominator shaft for $200. It comes with a pressed irish linen wrap, black phenolic butt cap and joint and the Dominator shaft has a Moori tip on it.

Zim

Great suggestion. There are many very good cues out there. Take some of these recommendations and then purchase the "plain jane" version. No points or inlays. Two reasons are, 1. you will end up with a quality cue that will play very well. 2. you will get good value, if you decide you do not want to continue with pool it will be easy to unload.

You might even call quality billiard companies like Hawley's and such. Ask them for a recommendation too. Many of these quality cue resellers offer very honest and sound advice. I have had excellent luck with them and they will work price with you. The good ones want you back and to brag about your great experience with them. Believe me you will be happy.

drivermaker
03-12-2005, 06:59 AM
For up to $200, they're all pretty good. Lucasi, Meucci, Fury, Action, Cue-Tec, Helmstetter, Joss, 5280, McDermott and more. List all of them and pull one from a hat...you won't go wrong. Or, take one of those names and pull it up on the internet to see what turns you on aesthetically. You still won't go wrong which is a lot better than what you have, which is nuttin'.

Zims Rack
03-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Here's a photo of a Dominiak SW16, retails $225 with Moori tip and Dominator shaft. The one I have is black phenolic instead of tan and has a black/white wrap instead of brown/white. Selling for $200!

Zim

JimS
03-12-2005, 07:30 AM
I can recommend my friend Tom at www.gobilliards.com He also sells on eBay as sticman.

He sells several different brands including Joss and McDermott and he'll be honest with you. I can promise you that. Tell him I sent you. We're close friends. If you lived here I"d put you in the car and take you over there.

I_Luv_This_Game
03-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Here's a photo of a Dominiak SW16, retails $225 with Moori tip and Dominator shaft. The one I have is black phenolic instead of tan and has a black/white wrap instead of brown/white. Selling for $200!

Zim

you definitely won't go wrong with this offer.