PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Pool School with J. Lee - long

Williebetmore
03-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Well, I was very fortunate this week to attend a 2 day pool school here in Indy. It was sort of an abbreviated rehearsal for the instructors of the Black Widow Experience. It was 2 days of instruction with Jeanette Lee, George Breedlove, Helena Thornfeldt, Jerry Briesath, and Mark Wilson (Monica Webb was in and out). There were 13 students including our own Rackin' Zack and Woody_968. The school just confirmed all of the notions I have held about pool instruction. Here were the high points:

The instruction was top notch. I have always felt that the instruction of expert teachers (like Mark and Jerry) is ABSOLUTELY compatible with the teaching of top players. The top players know how to do it, the teachers know how to get YOU to do it.

Just the schmoozing with the pro's was worth the entire cost of the lessons (no, I'm not telling). The stories at lunch and dinner were fabulous; and there were plenty of really surprising stories about the WPBA behind the scenes.

I've said before: if you can't run 100, you should be running to Mark or Jerry.

George Breedlove is not human. After some of his famous one-handed, jacked up, behind the back (and between the legs) wing shots and jump shots he agreed to shoot 2 break shots for the double radar guns. His tournament break is about 26 miles per hour, but his fastest in the past was 34 mph (he believes Hillbilly and Bustamante have reached 35). His first try was 34 mph. His second try was 37 mph. Un-frickin-believeable!! He made no balls on either break (that's why he breaks at 26 during tournaments). I am not permitted to mention any demonstration of unethical racking secrets - you'll have to get Ceebee's book I guess.

I learned more about kicking at balls in 10 minutes with Jerry B. than I learned kicking in 15 balls a day for a year.

Rackin'Zack is a great guy, I'm voting for him as Sarah R.'s new flame. I believe he may have reached 31 mph on the radar gun; he'll have to confirm.

Woody_968 has a fabulous stroke - looks like Troy Frank's stroke. If he doesn't run a hundred soon he should be horsewhipped.

I was very much impressed with the great enthusiasm and love for the game exhibited by Helena, Jeanette, Mark, and Jerry. It was INFECTIOUS.

I cannot recommend the program highly enough. Anyone who has a chance (and enough extra cash) to attend the Black Widow Experience or a local lesson with these pro's will REALLY enjoy it. You might even learn a little something about pool, I know I did. End of unpaid, unsolicited, totally biased advertisement.

sjm
03-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Willie, you have all the fun. Sounds like it was a great couple of days.

Don't forget, I've got the winner of you vs OldHasBeen in straight pool. Do you think you learned enough to beat our 59 year old forum pal?

Rackin_Zack
03-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Willie is absolutely correct. The two days were a blast. I learned some new things and as Willie mentioned George's one-handed behind the back wing shot was incredible! Alas, I actually only made 21 mph on the break, but it was the fastest of the non-pro's. :)

It was great to meet Willie and Woody, not to mention Jerry, Helena, Jeanette, George and Monica. Willie's poolroom is unbelievable. The GCIV plays great and his collection of pictures, music, videos, cue balls, and everything else is incredible! I can’t wait until the next time I’m in the area so we can have a couple good straight pool matches!

Williebetmore
03-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Willie, you have all the fun. Sounds like it was a great couple of days.

Don't forget, I've got the winner of you vs OldHasBeen in straight pool. Do you think you learned enough to beat our 59 year old forum pal?

SJM,
Doubtful I could beat Helen Keller straight up. Now if I can get 120 balls to 200 then its time to play.

I finished second in the league this year (first place most of the year until the very final match). My only goal at this time is to sharpen up my ball pocketing so I don't look totally foolish when you are here in August.

Grady Mathews will be stopping by in June, so hopefully he can add a little bit to the straight pool knowledge fund. I've got 2 matches lined up this week with 2 different players of your acquaintance from NYC, I am going to get lots of racking practice.

sjm
03-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Willie is absolutely correct. The two days were a blast. I learned some new things and as Willie mentioned George's one-handed behind the back wing shot was incredible! Alas, I actually only made 21 mph on the break, but it was the fastest of the non-pro's. :)

It was great to meet Willie and Woody, not to mention Jerry, Helena, Jeanette, George and Monica. Willie's poolroom is unbelievable. The GCIV plays great and his collection of pictures, music, videos, cue balls, and everything else is incredible! I can’t wait until the next time I’m in the area so we can have a couple good straight pool matches!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Zack, and if you're ever in NYC, let me know and we'll shoot some straight, which remains my favorite game on a pool table.

pete lafond
03-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Well, I was very fortunate this week to attend a 2 day pool school here in Indy. It was sort of an abbreviated rehearsal for the instructors of the Black Widow Experience. It was 2 days of instruction with Jeanette Lee, George Breedlove, Helena Thornfeldt, Jerry Briesath, and Mark Wilson (Monica Webb was in and out). There were 13 students including our own Rackin' Zack and Woody_968. The school just confirmed all of the notions I have held about pool instruction. Here were the high points:.

For those that have never been to Indy. They have a great nightlife there almost as good as Austin TX. I love the city.

I'm glad you enjoyed your lessons with JL.

woody_968
03-12-2005, 04:32 PM
First off thanks for the compiment on my stroke Willie, I have been working hard on it but have felt someting was still missing from my game. I think some of the things that I picked up this week just may give me the boost I am looking for.

As far as the school was concerned I could not be any happier with my experience there. It was great meeting Willie and Zack, and all the pros and instructors were great!

I really dont know if I was happier to spend time around the pros or the instructors. It was great spending time with Jeanette, Helana and George, but for someone like me that is working to become an instructor the time around Mark and Jerry was priceless!!!

I had already worked with Mark, and it really made me feel good when he came over and told me I made him look good during the stroke evaluation. It was great hearing some of the different explanations on some of the aspects of pool.

I must agree with Willie and say that if anyone has the chance to go through this type of class you will be very glad you did. If you cant then I suggest you do what ever it takes to get to see Mark or Jerry. Hopefully one day I can add my name to that list :D