PDA

View Full Version : Jump Cue & Chaulk

DeadStrokeMan
03-11-2005, 09:29 PM
I've been shootin' pretty heavy for 30 years now. But I've never owned a jump cue. I've always just jumped with my cue or my break stick.

Today - I bought a Robin Dobson Frog Jump -
It came with two shafts <as this link here shows>:
http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=F/PROD/RobinDodson/RD-FROG&ovmkt=KLTPCCU1MPFI4L8OPTG9ODVA8C

Have table at home - Jump twice with it.

1st Jump success
2nd Jump radical silly miscue :)

I noticed that the tip is like A SHINY ROCK! This may sound silly - but am I to attempt to chaulk this thing? The chaulk doesn't take - its just too hard.
Or - do you just not chaulk this thing?

Oh - I just bought a brand new set of Super Aramiths - wow ... what neat balls I have now < :p >

Ok ...so this thing also came with another shaft (see the link above) - the other shaft has the 'leather' tip ... My guess is that the leather tipped shaft is for ?? Hmm.

So whats the deal with this "glass tip" and chalking? Any takers?

stolz2
03-11-2005, 10:45 PM
I've been shootin' pretty heavy for 30 years now. But I've never owned a jump cue. I've always just jumped with my cue or my break stick.

Today - I bought a Robin Dobson Frog Jump -
It came with two shafts <as this link here shows>:
http://www.fivestarbilliards.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=F/PROD/RobinDodson/RD-FROG&ovmkt=KLTPCCU1MPFI4L8OPTG9ODVA8C

Have table at home - Jump twice with it.

1st Jump success
2nd Jump radical silly miscue :)

I noticed that the tip is like A SHINY ROCK! This may sound silly - but am I to attempt to chaulk this thing? The chaulk doesn't take - its just too hard.
Or - do you just not chaulk this thing?

Oh - I just bought a brand new set of Super Aramiths - wow ... what neat balls I have now < :p >

Ok ...so this thing also came with another shaft (see the link above) - the other shaft has the 'leather' tip ... My guess is that the leather tipped shaft is for ?? Hmm.

So whats the deal with this "glass tip" and chalking? Any takers?

The glass tip is phenolic, dont be afraid to scuff it up a little bit to get chalk to take thats what I did. I use the other shaft for longer jump shots, where im not so jacked up and may need to put a little draw on the cue ball.

Mack

DeadStrokeMan
03-11-2005, 11:33 PM
The glass tip is phenolic, dont be afraid to scuff it up a little bit to get chalk to take thats what I did. I use the other shaft for longer jump shots, where im not so jacked up and may need to put a little draw on the cue ball.

Mack

I was thinkin' just that :)

I was thinking about just using this 'crazy cue' for the extreme jumps. For less hops I like to just use my cue. They say you can't jump with a predator shaft- but I've found that to be totally false. I can jump the snot out of balls. Its just those EXTREME jackUps that I want that jump cue for ... more simply for the sake of saving my expensive Moori tips and not "crushing" them into the ferrule :)

vapoolplayer
03-12-2005, 06:35 AM
They say you can't jump with a predator shaft...

don't you love how when a few people can't do something they label the equipment as incapable..........LOL

you can do anything with any cue..........just practice.

as for the jump cue, as stated above the phenolic tip is just for pure jumping when you gotta get over the ball. the leather tip is when you want to draw or occassionally spin the ball.

thanks

VAP