PDA

View Full Version : What the biggest spot you have seen, given or received??

lukeinva
03-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Thought this thread may be cool! Maybe!

I have seen a pro give a guy 70-3 in One Pocket and the pro won 70-0 it was an interesting game!! 2 times they had all the balls in a straight line from the spot!!!

Luke

Hal
03-13-2005, 12:25 AM
I was given the 5,6,7,8, and 9 by Randy Vaughn about 10 years ago. I got drilled.

vivalaraza
03-13-2005, 12:30 AM
I was given the 5,6,7,8, and 9 by Randy Vaughn about 10 years ago. I got drilled.

randy vaughn from middle tennessee? where did he ever get off to?

Celtic
03-13-2005, 12:36 AM
I have seen a pro give a guy 70-3 in One Pocket and the pro won 70-0 it was an interesting game!! 2 times they had all the balls in a straight line from the spot!!!
Luke

70-3? how bad could this guy playing possibly have been? First time ever using a cue?

Saw Tony in Vegas beat Harry Platis at the Cue Club for 25 grand giving him 9-6. Decent size spot for a guy who is not that bad at one pocket.

I used to get the 7 out from a guy called Mike Lewis in my more formative years of pool in $10 sets, he smoked me with that spot, it was not usually very close as he normally would give me 3 shots in a race to 9, I was down 5-0 before I got a shot in alot of the matches. He shot some of the best pool I have ever seen in my life for those stakes, the guy was unreal.

Heard rumors of a good shot in my home town getting spotted 6 out and the breaks by Marcus Chamat and getting smoked. The guy is a good shot, gambler, and has done well in Vegas and other tournaments even recently, his break sucks so I am thinking that is what let him down and gave Marcus the thought he could spot him that. He tried it on another guy and got smoked himself.

lukeinva
03-13-2005, 01:01 AM
[QUOTE=Celtic]70-3? how bad could this guy playing possibly have been? First time ever using a cue?

It wasnt hit first time using a cue I mean in apa ratings probably like a 4 mid level I would think. maybe a 5. but the pro would just jam him up and leave him nothing!! It was unbelievable! in the first rack the pro ran 13 and then locked him up! The guy did score 2 but fouled 2 times.

macguy
03-13-2005, 01:15 AM

Luke

How can someone give 70 to 3? I have played weak players 14 to 1 in the side. but no one could give 70 to 3 in a ligit game if the other guy had ever played one pocket in their life. There may have been something else to the game like the pros scratches didn't count or something.

lukeinva
03-13-2005, 01:38 AM
How can someone give 70 to 3? I have played weak players 14 to 1 in the side. but no one could give 70 to 3 in a ligit game if the other guy had ever played one pocket in their life. There may have been something else to the game like the pros scratches didn't count or something.

No nothing like that I am telling you the pro would play jam up!!! He is local to me I see him give up all kinds of weight!! I mean he is just lights out!! The guy he was playing would think he was playing a safe and the the pro would make another 10-12 balls it was unreal!!

Bobby
03-13-2005, 01:39 AM

Luke

I have seen a match of straight pool where one
player was going to 200 and the other was going to
35, and yes the better player won easily.

The biggest spot I've ever seen a very good player
get was about 6 years ago, when George "Ginky"
Sansouci was playing his best he would give A+
players the 5 and out and they never won. Ginky
told me something to the effect that at that level
it's a race to the one ball. Also these A+ players
would get so demoralised that after not shooting
for several racks they would blow the first chance
they got to shoot.

Hal
03-13-2005, 01:41 AM
randy vaughn from middle tennessee? where did he ever get off to?

I think he's still logging with his daddy. I saw him at J.O.B. in January.

pete lafond
03-13-2005, 06:32 AM
I have seen a match of straight pool where one
player was going to 200 and the other was going to
35, and yes the better player won easily.

Poolshark52 on this forum played a guy on a regular basis 50 to 15 in 14.1. This guy could run 20 balls and a short game favors the weaker player. Most the time Poolshark52 would just run the 50 balls and out. Poolshark52 can run balls (100's), he has played againsts the greatests and has beaten them. Everyone gets amazed when a pro comes into town for an exhibition and runs 100 balls. Poolshark52 does this on a regular basis against players. Great experience.

Jedi V Man
03-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Alex Pagulayan offered the 7 ball to Ronnie Wiseman, at Hall of Fame Billiards in Michigan, and Ronnie promptly declined........

:cool:

Celtic
03-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Alex Pagulayan offered the 7 ball to Ronnie Wiseman, at Hall of Fame Billiards in Michigan, and Ronnie promptly declined........

:cool:

They are extremely good friends so I dont read too much into that.

sjm
03-13-2005, 07:39 AM
I've beaten an APA4 with the two and out, but that's not the biggest spot I've given.

Once, I gave someone who I'd guess would be an APA3 the break, ball in hand after the break and the four and out. Bet a dinner on a race to twenty and I won 20 - 19.

Celtic
03-13-2005, 08:00 AM
I've beaten an APA4 with the two and out, but that's not the biggest spot I've given.

Once, I gave someone who I'd guess would be an APA3 the break, ball in hand after the break and the four and out. Bet a dinner on a race to twenty and I won 20 - 19.

I dont know APA rankings very well, that spot says alot. APA3 is clearly one god awful player. How the heck does it get worse then that? You should never even have seen the table in 5 games let alone win 20. That makes a APA3 worse then any single player you would see at the BCA or VNEA by a whole lot. In Calgary we have the Masters league, the Open A league, the Open B league, and the rec league, there are few players in the B level that is second lowest that would let you at the table 20 times in a set like that. We simply dont have players that bad that actually compete.

Snapshot9
03-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Of course, it depends on who you are playing and how good they are. I gave a guy the break-3-5-789 on occasion playing for $10 or $20 a rack.

I also know a well known road player (from the Midwest) that gave a good friend of mine the break-6789 for 10,000 a set, and my friend can play.

Celtic
03-13-2005, 08:07 AM
I also know a well known road player (from the Midwest) that gave a good friend of mine the break-6789 for 10,000 a set, and my friend can play.

Can he break? That is the same spot Marcus gave my friend but the break was actually a disadvantage for my friend because more times then not Marcus had the shot after the break and then it was simply whether or not Marcus could run over 50% of the racks after the break, which he normally can. If your friend HAS a good break and can shoot then that spot should be a dumb one for anyone in the world to give him. I dont think anyone could beat me with that spot because I will simply run over 50% of the racks. It is in effect trying to beat the ghost getting spotted the 6 out, and thats if the opponent never misses and the spot even allows for playing a safe when a break ties balls up bad instead of having to play full offense against the ghost.

onepocketchump
03-13-2005, 12:09 PM
I once won a car giving up 8 games on the wire in a race to 11 and I had to play without my glasses. I won 11:8. The car was a Ford Pinto. The bet was $300 aginst it. I gave it to my brother.

I once gave up 3 games on the wire in a race to six for my last $30. When the score was 4:1 against me I bet my car against $200. I won the set 6:5 and BROKE EVEN for the night.

I lost to Jesse Bowman getting the last five. I liked the game so much that I played a second set :-( It's just not right that they play SO GOOD.

I one lost to Keith Mcready getting 15:4 in One-Hole race to three. He didn't even break a sweat. I would take that spot now though and it wouldn't be so easy but might have the same result :-)

I once lost two even sets and the opponent quits me winner and I started barking at anyone in the room to play. A guy gets up from the card table and says he will play me if I spot him the 3 games on the wire to 7. I said I would but he had to bet at least 500. He agreed and I asked if anyone else wanted to bet and another card player bet another 100. The opponent wins the first game and I win the set 7:4. The next set I won 7:3. It turns out that this guy is a very good player. He asked me how I could just give up the weight to somebody I didn't know. I said, well first I am just crazy, and secondly you don't know me either so it's got to be in your head how some crazy guy could possibly give you that weight.

I then explained to him and those listening that people give up all kinds of spots to each other. I said that I have seen people give up the break and ball in hand after the break. One guy piped up and said he would take that spot from anyone, including Efren. I said fine, I'll give you that spot, races to five for 50. He agreed and tried to break and run every rack. I won 5:3. The next set he played more conseratively and won 5:2. I pulled up. Then I asked him if he didn't think that Efren would have been able to make the kick shots I missed and resafe him to gain control of the table? He had to admit that the spot was not as strong as he first thought it was.

Other than that: I once ran five racks against Ronnie Wiseman in a even race to 11. From 5:0 up I lost 11:5. Not only did I not win I effectively killed all my chances of getting a decent game that week.

Have fun,

John

FLICKit
03-13-2005, 12:23 PM
I dont know APA rankings very well, that spot says alot. APA3 is clearly one god awful player. How the heck does it get worse then that? You should never even have seen the table in 5 games let alone win 20. That makes a APA3 worse then any single player you would see at the BCA or VNEA by a whole lot. In Calgary we have the Masters league, the Open A league, the Open B league, and the rec league, there are few players in the B level that is second lowest that would let you at the table 20 times in a set like that. We simply dont have players that bad that actually compete.

Yeah exactly. The APA is more welcoming to all levels of pool players than most other leagues. That's one of the big reasons why they are the bigger than the others combined. This would even include the ones who can barely hold a stick, or barely make a shot (i.e. 2 or 3). So, I could see a beginner player like that, losing such a monster spot. For them it's just about a fun environment where they can actually participate, obviously not primarily about competition and winning for lower level players. The lower ranked players, primarily play other players at or near their ranking, so it doesn't make much difference. As the players improve over time and increase amongst the ranks, then there is more serious competition available for em. The higher ranked players primarily play against each other as well. It has avenues for the beginners, intermediate, and advanced players. Many of the advanced players, play in APA along with the various other leagues that are out there, so that they can get the advantages that they all provide.

NOTE: No comments needed from teacherman... Control yourself.... ;)

doncartmill
03-13-2005, 07:11 PM
These are some ref made regarding hdcps offered or taken thru the thread
I am unsure of there meaning...please explain

gave 70-3,in one pocket and won70-0 ( I assume he had to make 70 before the other guy made 3 balls ? )

gave 15-4 in one pckt in race to 3 ( Had to make 15 before the other guy made 4 balls ? )

gave the break and 3-5-789 ( I are they playing nine ball)what has to happen

gave 56789, and lost ( nine ball??)what has to happen

sjm
03-13-2005, 07:15 PM
These are some ref made regarding hdcps offered or taken thru the thread
I am unsure of there meaning...please explain

gave 70-3,in one pocket and won70-0 ( I assume he had to make 70 before the other guy made 3 balls ? )

gave 15-4 in one pckt in race to 3 ( Had to make 15 before the other guy made 4 balls ? )

gave the break and 3-5-789 ( I are they playing nine ball)what has to happen

gave 56789, and lost ( nine ball??)what has to happen

Giving 5-6-7-8-9 means that opponent wins if they make any of those five balls.

doncartmill
03-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Giving 5-6-7-8-9 means that opponent wins if they make any of those five balls.
and the ref to the break plus 3-5-7,8,9 ...would he win if 3,5,7,8,9 were made on the break (or again that might be NOT on the break ,probably negociated )

Celtic
03-13-2005, 07:27 PM
and the ref to the break plus 3-5-7,8,9 ...would he win if 3,5,7,8,9 were made on the break (or again that might be NOT on the break ,probably negociated )

Depends if they were wild or not. Ususally it is negotiated, although by racking two of those balls just under the 1 ball the chance of making either ball becomes microscopic. When I was getting spotted the 7 out they were wild but they were always racked under the 1 on each side and I never made them.

macguy
03-13-2005, 07:42 PM
No nothing like that I am telling you the pro would play jam up!!! He is local to me I see him give up all kinds of weight!! I mean he is just lights out!! The guy he was playing would think he was playing a safe and the the pro would make another 10-12 balls it was unreal!!

I will have to take your word for it, but it is beginning to sound like a Johnnie Irish story. As Danny D. once said, " The longer Johnnie is dead, the better he plays".

Williebetmore
03-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I will have to take your word for it, but it is beginning to sound like a Johnnie Irish story. As Danny D. once said, " The longer Johnnie is dead, the better he plays".

Macguy,
That's silly. What you meant was it is beginning to sound like a Mark Tadd story. :) :)

doncartmill
03-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Depends if they were wild or not. Ususally it is negotiated, although by racking two of those balls just under the 1 ball the chance of making either ball becomes microscopic. When I was getting spotted the 7 out they were wild but they were always racked under the 1 on each side and I never made them.

I have been having alot of luck breaking from the left side,with low left english
,hitting the "1" ball dead center...making the right hand ball under the "1"
( one of the balls of which you speak ) in the corner pocket under my belly.

Another question (wrong thread I know) but what does the term "Ring Game" mean. Is like the skins game they recently held on espn,or is it just more than 2 persons shooting in the same game ?

vapoolplayer
03-13-2005, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=doncartmillAnother question (wrong thread I know) but what does the term "Ring Game" mean. Is like the skins game they recently held on espn,or is it just more than 2 persons shooting in the same game ?[/QUOTE]

the latter of the two.

VAP

Nostroke
03-13-2005, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=doncartmillAnother question (wrong thread I know) but what does the term "Ring Game" mean. Is like the skins game they recently held on espn,or is it just more than 2 persons shooting in the same game ?

the latter of the two.

VAP[/QUOTE]

I gave a guy a game on the wire-race to one. Guy could barely play but I lost 7 straight sets. I think he got lucky. Ill get him next time!!

stick8
03-14-2005, 09:04 AM
I knew afellow player, Fountin Inn Red would give some players, any ball they made in 5 ball he allways win the money!!!!! STICK

Bob Jewett
03-14-2005, 03:33 PM
I've seen 12-3 at one pocket. In the 14.1 league I play in, the largest theoretical spot for the players currently playing is 140-20 or so. I've had to give up 140-25. In a 9-ball league, I had to spot 10-2.
At 3-cushion, a player I know gave up 3-no-count to someone who played 3-C all the time.