PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket

LiL_C
03-14-2005, 09:35 AM
I just started to play One Pocket about 2 months or so and have already jumped up 3 or 4 balls in my game and it has also has helped me with my 9ball and 8ball game. All I used to play was 9ball for money now I'm hooked on this game so I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can find some practice drills for One Pocket or anything that might help me with my game.

Thanks

breakup
03-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Grady's tapes are great

-Killer One Pocket

-Only Kicks

-The Finishing Touch

-Finer points of One pocket

1pRoscoe
03-14-2005, 09:40 AM
check out www.onepocket.org

Jack Madden
03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
check out www.onepocket.org

1pRoscoe
Did you get the picture I sent to you last night? Worked until 6:00am getting ready for Valley Forge so I don't remember what time it was sent out.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

1pRoscoe
03-14-2005, 10:02 AM
1pRoscoe
Did you get the picture I sent to you last night? Worked until 6:00am getting ready for Valley Forge so I don't remember what time it was sent out.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

Hey Jack - yup! I just looked at it not too long ago! The wrap came out perfect, and I only have a few more days until it's in my hands! Thanks!

Looking forward to hitting with it.

Ross

bud green
03-14-2005, 10:11 AM
A good game to play that helps with your ball running in one pocket is the old gambling game where you break and try and run as many balls in one hole before missing. Standard practice is counting five racks and running over twenty balls total is doing pretty good. You need to experiment with different hard breaks for this game- Cory Deuels' 8-ball break he used in one pocket matches is good because hits the second ball hard, sending the balls one rail over to a corner pocket and tries to get the cue ball on the other side of the pack. Run all fifteen and you get to break again. If twenty sounds low, wait until you break and are hooked twice in a row.

Bank pool is good practice for any game and expecially one pocket. Gradys' tapes and the Eddie Robin books are excellent for new info.

fxskater
03-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Do you have to decide which pocket before you break?

1pRoscoe
03-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Do you have to decide which pocket before you break?

The pocket called is decided upon which side you break from. If the CB is on the left side of the headstring, the pocket on your right is your pocket. You break towards your pocket.

Make sense?

LiL_C
03-14-2005, 05:57 PM
The pocket called is decided upon which side you break from. If the CB is on the left side of the headstring, the pocket on your right is your pocket. You break towards your pocket.

Make sense?

Well actually you can line up on the left side come off the side rail to the right and the left pocket is yours if you call it

Bobby
03-15-2005, 02:15 AM
I just started to play One Pocket about 2 months or so and have already jumped up 3 or 4 balls in my game and it has also has helped me with my 9ball and 8ball game. All I used to play was 9ball for money now I'm hooked on this game so I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can find some practice drills for One Pocket or anything that might help me with my game.

Thanks

Get a hold of some accu-stats one pocket matches.
The commentary is usually very good, you can learn
so much just by watching and listening. Also, as
someone else mentioned trying to run as many balls
as possible into your pocket is great practice.
Also, practice bankshots, but hit them softer, so
as to leave the object ball near your pocket if
you miss.

pooljunkie0082
03-15-2005, 03:13 AM
i was playing one pocket the other day and seemed to have problems with the break. are there any good suggestions or pics out there to show how to break the balls. thanks david....

1pRoscoe
03-15-2005, 05:25 AM
Well actually you can line up on the left side come off the side rail to the right and the left pocket is yours if you call it

Not to sound rude, but that is about the dumbest break I have ever seen. You have ZERO cue ball control and run a HIGH risk of selling out the entire game.

vapoolplayer
03-15-2005, 06:40 AM

you got 9-7 and the crack.........as long as you break that way........ :D

VAP

mjantti
03-15-2005, 06:44 AM
i was playing one pocket the other day and seemed to have problems with the break. are there any good suggestions or pics out there to show how to break the balls. thanks david....

If you choose left pocket, break from the right side, about 3"-10" (depending on the conditions) from the side rail and try to hit in between the head ball and the second ball of the stack. Hit 'em simultaneously and put inside english on the cueball, in this case left english. Like this on wei table:

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg7E5%UN4D0%VC2G0%W O7N3%Xf8E8%YV7Y3%ZN6O5%[E2V1%\J3R1%eA4a4%_D1G8%`L4L0%aN6N1
)END

That's the break all the pros use. But beware, if you miss the head ball completely, you'll most certainly sell out when the 15-ball ends up near your opponents pocket.

LiL_C
03-15-2005, 02:40 PM
you got 9-7 and the crack.........as long as you break that way........ :D

VAP

You got Action
:cool:

And By the way I didn'y say I break like that all the time but if you do it right it does work.

crawdaddio
03-15-2005, 03:51 PM
You got Action
:cool:

And By the way I didn'y say I break like that all the time but if you do it right it does work.

He's right. If you successfully stick the rock to the rack, all they can do is kick long (or 2 or 3 rails around the stack) at the ball that is now somewhere near your hole, or skim a ball and go uptable. If you know the table, this break is fairly repeatable. Would I do it against Joyner, Efren or Matthews?--hell no, but it can work well in the right situation.

~DC

1pRoscoe
03-15-2005, 05:51 PM
He's right. If you successfully stick the rock to the rack, all they can do is kick long (or 2 or 3 rails around the stack) at the ball that is now somewhere near your hole, or skim a ball and go uptable. If you know the table, this break is fairly repeatable. Would I do it against Joyner, Efren or Matthews?--hell no, but it can work well in the right situation.

~DC

typical 1p break - 90% effective
his 1p break - 5% effective

which one will I go for....
:confused:

hemicudas
03-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Not to sound rude, but that is about the dumbest break I have ever seen. You have ZERO cue ball control and run a HIGH risk of selling out the entire game.

The kick break has been done, on certain tables, by top players, 1pRoscoe. I don't think it was dumb. The guy's point was that you nominate your pocket before you break. Yes, verbally if you use a kick break. Otherwise you are 100% correct. And no, I tryed it a few times and could not control the cb so went back to the standard break. The kick break was mostly used by good players on an 8' table.

1pRoscoe
03-15-2005, 06:16 PM
The kick break has been done, on certain tables, by top players, 1pRoscoe. I don't think it was dumb. The guy's point was that you nominate your pocket before you break. Yes, verbally if you use a kick break. Otherwise you are 100% correct. And no, I tryed it a few times and could not control the cb so went back to the standard break. The kick break was mostly used by good players on an 8' table.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen it used a few times on me in the past, but needless to say, the score was around 8-1, 8-2...

You leave entirely too many options with that break if you don't freeze it in the rack.

I'd give the guy 9-7 + breaks for $250/game if he did that ever time as well....