PDA

View Full Version : table you play on personal preference in brands

BillardBill
03-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I was just curious cause in the near future i am going to look into getting a home table. I like the manhattan that brunswick makes but i am up for opinions also. I just wanted to see what you guys break balls on. thanks guys

Celtic
03-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Gold Crown 3 black and chrome with the ball runners. I got it for $1800 Canadian so it is really hard to beat that. I think I remember seeing the Manhattan on the Brunswick website but cannot remember it exactly, I think the tournament in Calgary is going to be played on the "Metro" which looks pretty slick.

If I were you I would find a used Gold Crown though, there are usually some around for sale and you get them for around 1/4 of their original massive price tag for the best table in the game. I had a Brunswick Dakota before my Gold Crown and there is no comparison between it and the Gold Crown, the GC weighs twice as much at least.

TheBook
03-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Brunswich 9 ft Heritage. Has the same features as a Gold Crown except it has the vintage look with drop leather pockets. Great playing table. Many players say it is one of the best table they have ever played on, and I am not talking about local neighbors but some old time road players, hustlers and other pool addicts.

JimS
03-18-2005, 05:22 AM
The Diamond Pro is the one for me.

Rackin_Zack
03-18-2005, 08:14 AM
The Diamond Pro is the one for me.

I don't have a table currently, but when I am in the position to purchase one it will be a diamond so that I don't have to have the pockets reworked on a Gold Crown.

Jersey
03-18-2005, 08:25 AM
In my dreams...I have a Brunswick Gold Crown IV Mahogany w/Nickel Trim and Brunswick Green Simonis...Drop Pockets...But I have to say every time I play an Olhausen I like it...seems to have tighter pockets than the Crown right from the factory...however...Brunswick is the table of record...

Q Addiction
03-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Definitely Diamond Pro for my choice. There are several great playing tables out there, but I perfer the Diamond Pro. :D

old tyme cues
03-18-2005, 09:03 AM
9 foot Olhausen New Orleans here. 860 simonis tourney green. Yes ladies and gents the olhausen does have tighter playing pockets from the factory (because of cushions that are more active). Plus i'll never have to replace cushions and it has standard italian slate. I play on Brunswick gold crowns, Diamonds, and Olhausens at our local pool rooms and i always found the olhausen to be the most consistant and lively table of them all. IMO.

Jersey
03-18-2005, 09:25 AM
9 foot Olhausen New Orleans here. 860 simonis tourney green. Yes ladies and gents the olhausen does have tighter playing pockets from the factory (because of cushions that are more active). Plus i'll never have to replace cushions and it has standard italian slate. I play on Brunswick gold crowns, Diamonds, and Olhausens at our local pool rooms and i always found the olhausen to be the most consistant and lively table of them all. IMO.I have to agree...I love the GCIV's...maybe it's because they are the Classic, maybe it's a mental block, LOL...but when I play on the Olhausen's, I feel my loyalties coming into question!

pharaoh68
03-18-2005, 09:26 AM
The Diamond Pro is a great playing table but its not terribly attractive. Its a little boxy looking in my opinion. And the Olhausen Champion series is too. That matte black finish is gonna look a little weird in your home. <y table of choice to play on? Brunswick Gold Crowns. It looks and plays the way a table should and, it'll look good against any backdrop. (JUst my opinion.

cuejoey
03-18-2005, 09:54 AM
9 foot Olhausen New Orleans here. 860 simonis tourney green. Yes ladies and gents the olhausen does have tighter playing pockets from the factory (because of cushions that are more active). Plus i'll never have to replace cushions and it has standard italian slate. I play on Brunswick gold crowns, Diamonds, and Olhausens at our local pool rooms and i always found the olhausen to be the most consistant and lively table of them all. IMO.
Olhausen here too !!!!!!!!

Jersey
03-18-2005, 10:14 AM
The Diamond Pro is a great playing table but its not terribly attractive. Its a little boxy looking in my opinion. And the Olhausen Champion series is too. That matte black finish is gonna look a little weird in your home. <y table of choice to play on? Brunswick Gold Crowns. It looks and plays the way a table should and, it'll look good against any backdrop. (JUst my opinion.You got it right!...when I see a pool table in my head...I see a Brunswick GC...it's a piece of furniture...and is at home in any surroundings...when I go in a room full of GC's...I feel like I'm in a real pool room...old school style...I love it!

Ken_4fun
03-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Here's my input, I have an Olhausen, its okay but I wouldnt buy it again, I too would buy a diamond.

However, for the smarter guy, (thats not me) I love the look of the Brunswick Anniversery tables. I think they were made in the 1950's, very art deco, I love them. Ebay has them occassionally I and I LOVE em. They sell in the 2-3K range.

Regards
ken

frankncali
03-18-2005, 05:46 PM
9 foot

Gabriels
Diamond
GC III

bar box

Diamond
Valley

Dont have any table but would like one.

hemicudas
03-18-2005, 10:04 PM
I've been very happy with my black and chrome GC4. The adjustability of the GC4 is awesome. The Diamond Pro is also a hell of a table. I like the tight pockets. Forces you to stay down longer.

My GC4

cuejoey
03-18-2005, 10:25 PM
I was just curious cause in the near future i am going to look into getting a home table. I like the manhattan that brunswick makes but i am up for opinions also. I just wanted to see what you guys break balls on. thanks guys i purchased a new 9 foot Olhausen Augusta table and like everything about it......there are some nice tables out there ..visit the dealers and pool halls and ask questions like you are doing..and don't forget to tell us when you puchase one...good luck

Captain Flint
03-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Gold Crown or Diamond for sure.

bobroberts
03-19-2005, 03:01 PM
How come no one has mentioned a Connelly table.They look good and play well.
I will stay with my unknown 9ft. w/simonis 860 tourn green with k666 cushions.

Rickw
03-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Beautiful table Hemi!! I've played on Olhausens, GCs, Diamonds, Gandys and I think they all play good if they are commercial pro tables and a good table mechanic is keeping them up. I currently play mostly on pro Diamonds and love them but if I was playing on a GCIV that Earnesto is taking care of, Hell, I'd love it too!

Baker(6x6)
03-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Home Table: Olhausen Gem pro 8 (limited room)
Usual Hall-Table: Diamond Pro's
Local 9' Tables played: Connelly, GC III-IV, Gandy (horrible example), AE Schmidt (nice),

Preferences: Given all the tables an equal footing as far as condition, cloth, rails, age, etc.. - Overall, I prefer to play on a Diamond Pro. There are 2 main reasons behind this choice. 1) I believe Diamonds are tighter- and require more accurate shotmaking- especially long up the rail. I think this improves my game when moving to other tables. 2) On GC's, Connelly's, and Gandy's.. the side pockets seem to reject balls far easier than a Diamond. I'm not saying they are smaller, or harder to pocket in the side.. I mean that if you hit dead center in the pocket, but a bit too hard (and it's 75% of the speed that a Diamond will "accept" a ball), the ball comes back out. When I "make a shot".. I want the ball to stay in the pocket. I can rocket balls into a Diamond's side pockets, even from obtuse angles- and it goes down. When I miss- it's because I missed - not because I hit the ball 1mph too hard.

My only "problem" with the Diamonds- may be due to factor's not inherent to the table design/quality. I play where they have 4-yr old Diamond Pro's. I am disappointed in the condition of the rails. I'm not a table mechanic, but the rails (on all 9 of the tables) are very inconsistant. There are "dead-spots" everywhere, and were there even before the recovering. The fellow that recovered them- swears it's the rail material... I have no idea.. ... These tables are not very well maintained... though I try to do my part by wiping them down, and brushing before I play.
My 22 year old Olhausen rails are still very lively- and they have had a workout

Ray

sjm
03-19-2005, 10:58 PM
In my dreams...I have a Brunswick Gold Crown IV Mahogany w/Nickel Trim and Brunswick Green Simonis...Drop Pockets...But I have to say every time I play an Olhausen I like it...seems to have tighter pockets than the Crown right from the factory...however...Brunswick is the table of record...

I've long thought the choice came down to Gold Crown IV and Diamond Pro, but I'd have to say my opinion of Olhausen tables went up this year at Mohegan Sun, where the Olhausen they used played great. All three are excellent choices, but I like the Gold crown IV best.

Rickw
03-19-2005, 11:56 PM
I think it is so important to have someone good setting up your table. I've played on some great GCIVs and I've played on some bad ones and the only thing I can think of is that whoever set up the bad GCIVs must have screwed up somehow. When you shoot the cb out of a corner (right bottom corner) for a three railer to go into the left bottom corner it might run short. You try the same shot from the left corner and it plays long. That isn't right imho. The other GCIVs that I have played on were excellent and didn't have this problem. I played on some Olhausens that when they were set up, the rubber on the rails were loosening from the rails and played awful. After the Olhausen people came and fixed the tables, they played great. Whatever table you get, make sure the person putting it together does a good job.

Jimmy M.
03-19-2005, 11:59 PM
I prefer the Diamond tables. Snoop D-O-Double-G would say they're the shiznit, or something like that.

T411
03-21-2005, 02:43 PM
I've been very happy with my black and chrome GC4. The adjustability of the GC4 is awesome. The Diamond Pro is also a hell of a table. I like the tight pockets. Forces you to stay down longer.

My GC4

NICE Hemi!

KingCarom
03-21-2005, 04:34 PM
I play on a pro-8 Brunswick Centurion and love every bit of it. Has the super poly black rails like the Gold Crown and satin finish chrome end caps/blind trim.

Great table!

http://images.andale.com/f2/127/113/10948355/1078010951872_room2.JPG

Purdman
03-21-2005, 04:41 PM
I am an old schooler. I love my Gandy Big "G".
Don

Egg McDogit
03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
gold crown for fun (friends, etc), diamond pros for practice

peace
-Egg