PDA

View Full Version : crazy idea

AceHigh
04-02-2005, 05:25 PM
ESPN shows tournaments on TV sometimes, but not all the times. Wouldn't it be neat if ESPN made a channel dedicated strictly to pool. For instance, instead of showing tape delayed tournaments, they could show matches live as they're being played.

Someone start a petition for ESPN people to read. I want an all billiards channel.

frankncali
04-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Right now I think thats what BcN is working towards. Theres not really enough pool to have a pool channel IMO. I think it would be great
to get a block of airtime for say 2-3 hours one day per week and start from
there.
I would not show any matches but rather have bits and pieces of events and
promote the whole sport of pool. An interview each week with a legend, new player, or an established great would be good.
A profile of a current top player to get a little insight about the person more than just his pool game.
Simple instruction and reporting about matches.
Segments could be given to different periodicals or websites that promote
billiards. Regional reports and results from the regional tours would be good.
Both Mens and Womens pool.
Even include the league pool as thats where a large majority of players
are playing now. Maybe a few 10-15 minute segments.

Easily I think 3-4 hours could be filled and it would be cheaper and easier to
get on a cable network. It might be late night or bad times at first but it would be a start.

ESPN shows tournaments on TV sometimes, but not all the times. Wouldn't it be neat if ESPN made a channel dedicated strictly to pool. For instance, instead of showing tape delayed tournaments, they could show matches live as they're being played.

Someone start a petition for ESPN people to read. I want an all billiards channel.

christopheradam
04-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Theres not really enough pool to have a pool channel IMO.

There is plenty of pool for a pool channel. Just think of all the matches that never get recorded because theres no outlet to show it and just think of all the semi pro events out there. They could have instructional segments as well as a more serious version of Celebrity pool.
The could show some of the old stuff like ESPNC is doing. Can't wait until april 9th so I can Watch Mosconi and Cranfield go at it :).
Theres tons of stuff they could come up with for a pool channel. I just hope BCN leans more toward the Sattelite and cable side of things or improves the way they deliver the media on the internet in the future. Video tends to be on the choppy side. I'd rather have a huge video file to download and wait a few hours for it to finish downloading than pay for choppy video that downloads instantly. And why not let us keep the stuff we pay for? Everyones gonna have tivos and DVR's pretty soon if they don't got em already, so let us download to our pc's and let us watch them when we want.

woody_968
04-02-2005, 09:25 PM
There could be enough pool to have a channel, with made for TV shows and stuff. Sad thing is I dont know if there are enough pool players that would pay for it to support such a thing.

StormHotRod300
04-02-2005, 09:27 PM
I agree with Chris, there is plenty of pool to be recorded and put on TV. A few weeks ago i borrowed a tape from 94 or 96 of Archer and Reyes playing against each other. And it was them battling it out on the loser side of the bracket.

I honestly think if there was a regular Mens tour schedual like every other week or something then you could have a Pool Channel. And even have the Womens tournaments put on there also, since they do get more air time then, the guys.

And you could have them air on TV like the top 16 matches or top 8, that way your not just seeing the Finals on TV.