PDA

View Full Version : Alex Pagulayan Pool Movie ?

recoveryjones
04-03-2005, 11:02 AM
I see that they are going to do a pool movie about Danny Basevich which will net him a million big ones.I say good for pool and good for Danny.He's a very charasmatic player and I'm sure he has some great road stories.I wish his movie every success.

http://azbilliards.com/2000storyb.cfm?storynum=2608

Having said that, I think an opportunity to do a movie about Alex Pagulayan's rise to World Champion has been (so far ) missed. Much like Danny,Alex is also very charasmatic and his story is a good one.

-skipped out of school to play pool in the Phillipines
-moved to canada
-his father ran a pool hall
-Paul Thornley took him under his wings and trained him
-While in Canada also spent some time with former world snooker champion Cliff Thorburn
- hit the road with his best friend Corey Deule (many great road stories)
-suffered through agonizing second place finishes at the US Open and 2003 World Pool Championships
-makes a bad mistake,parties gets drunk the night before his 2003 WPC showdown with Hohmann
-Bets $10,000 large(at 14-1 odds) on himself with the bookies in Taipai and adds the winnings from that to his $75,000 first place finish.
-Was down 4-10 at 2004 WPC and showed the Heart of a Lion in coming back
-Became champion of the world

There's much,much more and I think if a talented script writer sat down with Alex that he could make a great movie out of the life of Alex Pagulayan. Young kid from the Phillipines (skips school) and goes on to be world champ.It could also be a movie about determination and never giving up despite finishing second twice and suffering bitter defeats to become Champion of the world.

I think the Basevich movie will be a good one and the road stories will be especialy good. I also think,however, it will be missing the icing on the top of the cake which is the title of "Champion of the World". JMO, RJ

Williebetmore
04-03-2005, 11:28 AM
RJ,
I agree that it would be entertaining. You forget one thing though, Hollywood changes EVERYTHING about the story. In the movie Alex P. will be 6'2" tall with blond hair and blue eyes (perhaps Brad Pitt could play him). He will be born in Fiji, and raised by orungatans, who pass on their amazing hand/eye coordination to him. He will be adopted by missionaries, who then move to New York City (because ALL movies must begin with a panoramic shot of NYC). His parents are beaten to death with a pool cue by a drug-crazed, biker-type, pool player. Alex vows to learn pool and commit himself to a life of non-violence (cameo by Bono). He will play on the incredibly exclusive men's pool tour, winning $250,000 for each of his first place finishes (to the delight of the 15,000 rabid fans in the stands). In the World Championship he falls behind 16-0 in a race to 17, but then snaps in the nine-ball 17 times in a row to win the match. At the end of the movie in BOLD LETTERS will be the time honored phrase, "Based on a true story."

BlowFish
04-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Willie,

You've made my morning and my day as I nearly died laughing.

cheers.

LastTwo
04-03-2005, 05:14 PM
RJ,
I agree that it would be entertaining. You forget one thing though, Hollywood changes EVERYTHING about the story. In the movie Alex P. will be 6'2" tall with blond hair and blue eyes (perhaps Brad Pitt could play him). He will be born in Fiji, and raised by orungatans, who pass on their amazing hand/eye coordination to him. He will be adopted by missionaries, who then move to New York City (because ALL movies must begin with a panoramic shot of NYC). His parents are beaten to death with a pool cue by a drug-crazed, biker-type, pool player. Alex vows to learn pool and commit himself to a life of non-violence (cameo by Bono). He will play on the incredibly exclusive men's pool tour, winning $250,000 for each of his first place finishes (to the delight of the 15,000 rabid fans in the stands). In the World Championship he falls behind 16-0 in a race to 17, but then snaps in the nine-ball 17 times in a row to win the match. At the end of the movie in BOLD LETTERS will be the time honored phrase, "Based on a true story."

LOL that was great!!

titanic
04-03-2005, 05:51 PM
WILLIEBETMORE,
I know you were being facetious but you were also not far from reality. The screenwriters take great books and rewrite them as to how they will appear on film. They justify it because of the differences between the written words concept. They say they have improved it.

Have read many books that were made into films and usually the books are better by far. Once in awhile they make a movie better than the book and point to their great success.

They would chop up any movie being made about pool because they have no real knowledge about pool. They have no experience to draw from.
Willie Mosconi was the technical advisor for the movie "The Hustler". His remarks about the beginning of the film when Eddie is frozen to the 8 ball and gets the cash are classic. " You might play for years and never get those two balls to freeze on the rail at that spot to shoot that shot."

The mass'e shot in the melange of shots with the clock turning was also out of place but HOLLYWIERD thought it looked good..... And they were right. To the average ticket buyer in the audience both situations seemed perfectly not only possible but probable.

Oh well LOL to those who are in charge.

Williebetmore
04-03-2005, 06:47 PM
The screenwriters take great books and rewrite them as to how they will appear on film. They justify it because of the differences between the written words concept. They say they have improved it.

Have read many books that were made into films and usually the books are better by far. Once in awhile they make a movie better than the book and point to their great success.

Titanic,
Yes, exactly. It depends on if the screenwriter is trying to capture and relate the essence of the sport or the story; or whether he is just using the sport or story for the setting, and then putting in all of the Hollywood cliche's to try to make a popular movie (and not a work of art). To me the great film adaptations are the former.

Celtic
04-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Willie you forgot one key element. In the Worlds Alex is approached by the biker that killed his parents and is told he must lose the finals because the biker has put a huge bet on the match. The biker has kidnapped Alex's girlfriend to make sure he complies and while talking to Alex sits and taps a pool cue butt in his palm letting Alex know what is in store for the girl if he wins. To make extra sure Alex looses the biker then pokes him in the eyes three stooges style. Alex stagers to the table all worried about his girl and not able to see all that well and starts getting destroyed by Johnny Rocket, the cocky top pool player that only plays in the worlds and has won that last 8 in a row. Only when down 16-0 does Alex see that his gangster friends who helped him out backing him when he was young and up and comming have saved his girl and stopped the biker. Alex then proceeds to battle his lack of vision and then uses the secret Thai breaking technique learned from Obi Wan Miagi-son (who died of a heart attack at 12-0 watching on TBC from a hut on a mountain) to snap off those 17 racks and win the worlds. In the crucial 16-16 game Johnny Rocket completely out of character comes up to shake Alex's hand in a show of sportmanship but purposely bumps the table on the way back to his seat dislodging the rack. Alex asks for a rerack, the ref says no and that it is not allowed in the worlds for a rerack once the balls are racked (real rules be damned). Alex then looks closely at the rack and finally calls the 9-ball in the left hand side pocket, the announcers are going crazy because if he misses the 9 after calling it he automatically looses the match (rules?). He breaks and we see a slow motion following of the 9 as it goes off 4 rails, caroms off two balls, and rolls barely pocket weight finally to the edge of the pocket, it stops for a brief second as you see Alex's heart jump and the crowd all sigh then it falls in the pocket and the place explodes in joy and Johnny Rocket breaks his cue in half and storms out of the arena. Gansters, girlfriend, announcers, all the other players party it up and celebrate as the credits start to roll.

Movie gold, I hope Hollywood does not see this and steal the idea!

Williebetmore
04-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Willie you forgot one key element. In the Worlds Alex is approached ................... Gansters, girlfriend, announcers, all the other players party it up and celebrate as the credits start to roll.

Movie gold, I hope Hollywood does not see this and steal the idea!

Celtic,
Yes, exactly right (but I thought it was all so obvious that I needn't go into detail).

sjm
04-03-2005, 07:35 PM
To run with Willie's idea, maybe Alex will be depicted as a guy who gave up a lucrative career in investment banking to try his luck at pool.

Williebetmore
04-03-2005, 07:42 PM
To run with Willie's idea, maybe Alex will be depicted as a guy who gave up a lucrative career in investment banking to try his luck at pool.

SJM,
You know if they run with your idea, then he will learn pool in a gruelling 3 or 4 day session (montage with inspiring music) that will take him (under the tutelage of the wise old player) from banger to champion. Its amazing that anyone can commit themselves to, and survive such a "long" apprenticeship.

TheFish
04-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Dont forget at the end, his gf (phoebe?) escapes and stumbles into the crowded arena. The guards are holding off all the ecstatic fans, there must be at least 60,000 pple there filling up madison square garden...and you will see phoebe trying to push through to tell alex she is alright..finally...alex catches a glimpse of her through his now visibly swollen eyes...and then u see him hunker down (with the same look he gave to that guy in Troy) and he takes out his lance (his black carbon fiber pool cue)..and then he does the super break...and then everythign slows down..u see his huge backstroke..and then when hes going forward. .BAMMMM!!! and u see 8 of the 9 balls fly in and 1 hangs and spins...and then alex looks at it..and then it falls.

That happens in a variety of ways about 16 more times in a row..and finally...he wins the trophy..and he screams out..Phoeeebee.. Phoeebee (like Rocky). for some reason, even though he was only poked in the eye..he now has a bruised up face alongside his eye.

Wow.g.reat movie

the movie.
Lion The Champion.
www.lionthechampion.mov

Willie you forgot one key element. In the Worlds Alex is approached by the biker that killed his parents and is told he must lose the finals because the biker has put a huge bet on the match. The biker has kidnapped Alex's girlfriend to make sure he complies and while talking to Alex sits and taps a pool cue butt in his palm letting Alex know what is in store for the girl if he wins. To make extra sure Alex looses the biker then pokes him in the eyes three stooges style. Alex stagers to the table all worried about his girl and not able to see all that well and starts getting destroyed by Johnny Rocket, the cocky top pool player that only plays in the worlds and has won that last 8 in a row. Only when down 16-0 does Alex see that his gangster friends who helped him out backing him when he was young and up and comming have saved his girl and stopped the biker. Alex then proceeds to battle his lack of vision and then uses the secret Thai breaking technique learned from Obi Wan Miagi-son (who died of a heart attack at 12-0 watching on TBC from a hut on a mountain) to snap off those 17 racks and win the worlds.

recoveryjones
04-03-2005, 08:57 PM
LOL....gotta love the folks at AZ. Throw a thread up and you'll get some creativity,humor or a flame war.This place rocks!!!! Throw the same thread up somewhere else and it sometimes dies before it can get started.

I think that they should put Danny Basevich and Alex P in the same movie.Show them as growing up as kids in a schoolyard and on a teeter-totter.With Alex helplessly suspended high up in the air he says to Danny: "Danny if you keep improving in pool so much, one day to get a match, you' re going to have to give up a lot of weight." :p RJ

sjm
04-03-2005, 09:01 PM
LOL....gotta love the folks at AZ. Throw a thread up and you'll get some creativity,humor or a flame war.This place rocks!!!! Throw the same thread up somewhere else and it sometimes dies before it can get started.

I think that they should put Danny Basevich and Alex P in the same movie.Show them as growing up as kids in a schoolyard and on a teeter-totter.With Alex helplessly suspended high up in the air he says to Danny: "Danny if you keep improving in pool so much, one day to get a match your going, to have to give up a lot of weight." :p RJ

RJ, that's total genius. You obviously have a gift. Don't squander it.

TheFish
04-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Theres actually a japanese movie called ping pong or pong..which is abotu two kids who are best friends.and one friend always lets the other win and that other kid thinks hes always the best.. and one day the scouts come by and the more cocky kid gets all pissed off cuz the awesome ping pong team (i know kinda dorky) chooses the more humble kid.

so who would be the quiet one.

I think that they should put Danny Basevich and Alex P in the same movie.Show them as growing up as kids in a schoolyard and on a teeter-totter.With Alex helplessly suspended high up in the air he says to Danny: "Danny if you keep improving in pool so much, one day to get a match, you' re going to have to give up a lot of weight." :p RJ

3RAIL KICK
04-03-2005, 09:59 PM
RJ,

WOWWWW!!

I'D GO WATCH IT. TWICE