PDA

View Full Version : Master's (Virginia Beach) to be rescheduled

Bob Jewett
04-03-2005, 05:07 PM
If you were planning on going to the Master's in Virginia Beach in May, you will want to know that it will be rescheduled from May 24-28. The new dates are being determined. For more info, see http://www.q-masters.com/masters.php

JimS
04-04-2005, 04:43 AM
If you were planning on going to the Master's in Virginia Beach in May, you will want to know that it will be rescheduled from May 24-28. The new dates are being determined. For more info, see http://www.q-masters.com/masters.php

Just as Blackjack said. What a shame that Charlie thinks this is the way to do things. He appears to be a thug.

Chris_Lynch
04-04-2005, 04:59 AM
BTW, Charlie is not in charge of the UPA or Dragon Promotions anymore. Find someone else to blame if you must.

Tom In Cincy
04-04-2005, 09:19 PM
BTW, Charlie is not in charge of the UPA or Dragon Promotions anymore. Find someone else to blame if you must.

No.. it's Charlie Williams to BLAME.. you say he's not in charge.. well, that may be, but, you can't speak about how much influence he still has with the UPA and Dragon Promotions.

NOW the UPA and Dragon Promotions has scheduled a WEST coast tournament in JAN of 2006 that will conflict with the Derby City Classic.

UPA Jan 4th-9th 2006 event (http://upatour.org/upa_champ.asp)

DCC Jan 6th-14th 2006 dates (http://www.derbycityclassic.com/index.php)

Michael Webb
04-05-2005, 05:39 PM
I have to ask, Does the BCA fit into this anywhere. I don't blame any individual because I don't know for sure But I do blame the UPA for thinking there is no room for any other tours. This is who gets screwed,
The players
And the fans.
It's a shame that people will never learn.

Michael Webb
04-05-2005, 09:02 PM
I was there during 911 and I must admit Barry did the very best he could. It's to bad people like Charlie only cared about using the whole situation to cause trouble. If Barry ever needs more sponsors, I'd be proud to join the list. I don't care about his personal affairs at all, I do however care about tradition. The bad part is I am some what friends with a lot of the UPA players and I have asked them time and time again. WHY!
Not one has given a legitimate reason for supporting it. Players should not have to sign a binding contract, They are players and should be allowed to play in any open event they choose.

Michael Webb
04-05-2005, 10:37 PM
I agree 100 percent. But how much money are they making when they allow their organization to over book every other event. It's already been seen that the UPA doesn't care about their own players because every time one of their players doesn't show, it's usually because they didn't know about it. I think it's up to the players and fans to force the BCA to put the UPA in it's place. Why overbook, there is clearly enough time to do all tournaments seperately, Every one wins, The fans, players, and ALL organizations by having more players, and more fans in the stands, It also makes getting sponsorships easier. Sounds so easy, which is why it gets screwed up. If the leaders of the UPA could only see past their ego's, what great events we could all have.

TheFish
04-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I went to the UPA website to look at their executive team. Its less than inspiring. Most pple with an inkling of common sense would know that everyone benefits when you build the sport.instead..they wanna go head to head with all the major events and screw them over.

How binding are the UPA's player contracts. I can't imagine there not being a loophole somewhere. Looking at the "solid" business experiences of the executive team, I would imagine the lawyers that drafted the UPA contracts were as equally top notch - hence, a possibility of loopholes that opens the doors to renege on the agreement.

Michael Webb
04-05-2005, 11:16 PM
That's a great question, I know Mr. Phil Muller was and or is the vice president of the UPA. This man has my respect for being some what intelligent so if he had any thing to do with the contracts, the loop holes may be less apparent.

JAM
04-06-2005, 04:27 AM
No.. it's Charlie Williams to BLAME.. you say he's not in charge.. well, that may be, but, you can't speak about how much influence he still has with the UPA and Dragon Promotions.

NOW the UPA and Dragon Promotions has scheduled a WEST coast tournament in JAN of 2006 that will conflict with the Derby City Classic.

UPA Jan 4th-9th 2006 event (http://upatour.org/upa_champ.asp)

DCC Jan 6th-14th 2006 dates (http://www.derbycityclassic.com/index.php)

Tom, I am thinking -- and I may be wrong -- that the posted dates of the UPA-sanctioned Bicycle event could be a typo. The UPA website does not seem to reflect CURRENT information.

For example, if you look at the UPA's mission on the UPA website, the very last paragraph of page 2 reads as follows: Suspended individuals shall lose all rights of membership and the privilege to play in UPA events in accordance with tournament administration procedures established by the UPA. Life and liability insurance shall not be denied to suspended Members as a result of their suspension. Individuals employed by a suspended Member may not be denied any rights or privileges. Commencing January 1, 1994, time in suspension status shall not count towards Life Membership status.

Life and liability insurance? January 1, 1994? The UPA is only 2 years old.

I brought this typo mistake to the attention of Frank Alvarez, the UPA rep, over a year ago. Yet, it still remains on the website.

Then check out the UPA list of touring pros -- List of UPA Touring Pros on UPA website (http://upatour.org/touring_pros.asp). The UPA website has not been updated to reflect the EXACT number of UPA touring pros. There are MANY on that list who are currently not members of the UPA. It is quite deceiving (IMO).

With respect to the recent cancellation of Barry Behrman's Master's Open, due to the recent announcement of a UPA-sanctioned tournament on the Florida Pro Tour, I believe that tournament in Florida was already scheduled for those dates. The UPA just happened to seize upon the opportunity to have a UPA event sanctioned on the same dates as Barry Behrman. The Florida Pro Tour is the one who scheduled the dates, though, for this tournament, not the UPA.

However, let's not forget about the other UPA scheduling conflicts. For 2 years in a row, the UPA Season Finale Bicycle event has been held on the same days at the ANNUAL JOB's Music City Open in Nashville, a traditional tournament which has been in existence for at least 18 years, as far as I can tell.

Then there is the World Summit of Pool in NYC which was scheduled on the same days as the Matchroom Sport's UAE 8-ball tournament, which was won by Efren last year, again, 2 years in a row.

Mike Zuglan's Joss Northeast 9-Ball Tour Season Finale was scheduled well in advance last season. The UPA then posted on their website a UPA-sanctioned tournament in Washington, D.C., the Capital City Classic. However, the promoter of the Capital City Classic had no knowledge of these dates. The dates were quickly removed from the UPA website when it was discovered that they were posted without knowledge of the Capital City Classic tournament promoter. Was it intentional? You be the judge.

I will state for the record, though, that events can only be held on the dates available that are provided by the host site. The UPA, independent promoters, and regional tours can only schedule events on dates that the host sites will grant, whether that be a hotel, a pool room, or a venue like the Bicycle Club in Los Angeles.

I believe the mission of the UPA is sincere, and its members do desire to elevate the status of the sport. With a six-tournament tour, one of which is the BCA Open (invitational), the current highest-ranked UPA members will remain at the top. There is a select group of UPA members who ride the UPA train for free to every single UPA-sanctioned tournament, never having to incur the exorbitant travel/lodging and entry fee expenses that all others do, and the seeding process ensures them a good draw.

IMO, this is a very real problem which needs to be addressed, i.e., a LEVEL PLAYING FIELD. The UPA ranking system is not available for full disclosure, as it is on the WPBA website.

At the time of last year's BCA Open, there were several "qualified" UPA members who did not compete in Vegas. The tournament organizers who were subcontracted by the BCA, however, did admit non-UPA members to play pool in Vegas for this event.

It is a shame that the UPA did not think it important enough to insist that some of its members who were qualified to attend the BCA Open be there and receive ranking points, the same ranking points which determine who is going to play in high-profile events like the World Pool Championship, the SAME RANKING POINTS WHICH KEEPS THE UPA MEMBERS SEEDED.

To have the BCA Open included in the UPA ranking system for points, when it is limited to 32 players, one of six tournaments on the UPA tour, will keep the existing SELECTED players at the top of the ranking charts, year after year.

It was mentioned by one poster that folks should boycott the UPA tournaments because of the scheduling conflicts. Truth be told, there aren't too many pool enthusiasts, railbirds, and aspiring players who are going to spend $1,000 to $2,000 to attend a 4-to-5-day tournament that could be held in 2 days. This is why pro pool is suffering, and make no mistake about it, the existing lot of professional players is continuing to diminish (IMO).

JMHO, FWIW!

JAM