PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Kelly!!!!!

onepocketchump
04-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Good job Kell! We at Fury are all so proud of you. Congratulations on your FIRST WPBA WIN.

Your friends, Scott, Heidi, Fargo, Sarah, Ken, Snaps, Julie, Andy, Matt, Dave, John, Luke, Amanda, Nikkie, Gary, Steve, Precious and the rest of TEAM FURY.

landshark77
04-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Congrats Kelly! Way to take them down! ;)

Hey Mike T...one of my picks won the whole damn thing! Now........... :p

Kerry Impson
04-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Wow, that's awesome! The first of many, for sure. Do you know what the score was in the final?

Deanna Michelle
04-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Congrats to Kelly Fisher! I know Gremlin is a happy camper. (:

sjm
04-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Good job Kell! We at Fury are all so proud of you. Congratulations on your FIRST WPBA WIN.

Your friends, Scott, Heidi, Fargo, Sarah, Ken, Snaps, Julie, Andy, Matt, Dave, John, Luke, Amanda, Nikkie, Gary, Steve, Precious and the rest of TEAM FURY.

Congratulations to Kelly and to you, OPC, on Kelly's fantastic breakthrough.
For you and the rest of her fans, I've prepared a special treat, the updated WPBA rankings through San Diego, per my calculations. The new rankings show that Kelly Fisher is now ranked #8 on the WPBA tour. Enjoy.

Nostroke
04-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Wow, that's awesome! The first of many, for sure. Do you know what the score was in the final?

It was 7-3 or 7-4 but Gerda was never really in it.

PS- In the 2 semis- Kelly F broke and ran 7 times out of eight chances minimum. Might have been more. Some player!

Bob Romano
04-03-2005, 08:03 PM
Congratulations Kelly, keep it up!

Bob and Eydie Romano

larrynj1
04-03-2005, 08:13 PM
congrats to kelly fisher, many happy returns.

StormHotRod300
04-03-2005, 08:30 PM
I was about as shocked as can be when i just Read that Kelly Fisher won!!!!

I am so happy for her.

And honestly this is kinda what the WPBA needs is a little bit of variety instead of having the same 2 or 3 people in the finals all the time.

It just goes to show that Allison Fisher can be beaten. Not putting anything against Allison, but i like to have a bit of variety when it comes to people winning.

And kudos to Gerda and Vivian to for making the finals :)

Also did Gerda change her hair color???

Cori
04-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Just wondering if this is history as an unseeded player wins at the WPBA? If she is that's wonderful. I do believe that others were predicting this day as Kelly Fisher enters and becomes victorious at the WPBA. AWESOME, it's good to see some new faces win.

GoVivian
04-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Looks like the WPBA has a new star in the making. ;)

Congratulations Kelly. Great stuff! :)

sjm
04-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Just wondering if this is history as an unseeded player wins at the WPBA? If she is that's wonderful. I do believe that others were predicting this day as Kelly Fisher enters and becomes victorious at the WPBA. AWESOME, it's good to see some new faces win.

I believe that in the history of the WPBA Classic tour, which began in 1993, this is the second time an unseeded player has won a WPBA nine ball title. The first, if memory serves, was when Kelly Oyama won in Minnesota in either 1995 or 1996 -- I can't quite remember which year it was.

At the 2003 US Open, Ga Young Kim came within a missed double hill nine ball in the finals of becoming the second unseeded player to win a title.

Tbeaux
04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
And honestly this is kinda what the WPBA needs is a little bit of variety instead of having the same 2 or 3 people in the finals all the time.

It just goes to show that Allison Fisher can be beaten. Not putting anything against Allison, but i like to have a bit of variety when it comes to people winning.

And kudos to Gerda and Vivian to for making the finals :)

Also did Gerda change her hair color???

Hey SHR300,
Actually I think that's Gerdas NATURAL hair color,she dyed or bleached (whatever women do) her hair blond for a number of years.I like her hair dark.
Congratulations to Kelly Fisher on her win.She's not one of the ladies I actively root for normally but when it came down to a chance to have new faces in the finals I'll root for anybody( no offence meant to Allison or Karen).

Terry

MAGGNET
04-03-2005, 09:30 PM
I always have rooted for Kelly as I feel so confident in her game as her snooker record proves.

I picked Kelly as a winner against Allison whom my fiance chose for $10.

Sure her confidence level shoot up with this win!

If she can break and run out most of her racks, what about playing against top guys? Would be interesting.

For all upcoming tournaments, Kelly will get my votes for sure.

Tbeaux
04-03-2005, 09:46 PM
I always have rooted for Kelly as I feel so confident in her game as her snooker record proves.

I picked Kelly as a winner against Allison whom my fiance chose for $10.

Sure her confidence level shoot up with this win!

If she can break and run out most of her racks, what about playing against top guys? Would be interesting.

For all upcoming tournaments, Kelly will get my votes for sure.

Hello and welcome to the forums MAGGNET,
You won $10...congats.Hehehe I won 500 vBUCKS inthe vBookie on this one.
Kelly would probably do well against the gents since I know Karen Corr has.

Terry

AuntyDan
04-03-2005, 10:39 PM
In the 2 semis- Kelly F broke and ran 7 times out of eight chances minimum. Might have been more. Some player!

I just got back from the SD Classic. Yes, Kelly really hit her stride in the middle of the first match with Karen Corr, breaking and running her last 3 games when she had the break. Then in the next match with Vivian she broke and ran her first 4 games when she had the break until she finally got a break which left no shot at all. In a single match with winner-breaks it would have been a 7-pack most any pro would have been proud to put their name to.

Neither Karen nor Gerda seemed to be playing to their usual standards, and at the beginning of the first match both Karen and Kelly were missing multiple times in a row, which is very unusual. However Kelly found her stroke and adjusted to the table faster than Karen did and the rest is history. With the alternate break format you simply cannot afford to play sloppy shots when you opponent is consistenly breaking and running.

I was very impressed by Kelly's game, although disappointed to not see Allison play at all in the final 4 for the first time. I'd love to see an all-Fisher final and I suspect we will be getting one before too long.

AuntyDan
04-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Oh, and that bum Rackin_Zack owes me $1 (US) because he bet me Kelly would not break and run the first rack of her match against Vivian. (Her 4th in a row at that point.)

sjm
04-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Wow! From what I'm reading in this thread, sounds like Kelly Fisher put together one of the most impressive Sundays in the history of the WPBA tour.

When it comes to WPBA events, very good players play very good pool on Saturdays, but great players play great pool on Sundays.

Based on what I'm reading, sounds like we need to consider counting Kelly Fisher as one of the great ones.

lionelp4
04-04-2005, 05:50 AM
Many congratulations, Kelly. I'm sure this will be the first of many.

My money is on Kelly attaining No.1 status within 2 years. Any thoughts anyone ?

onepocketchump
04-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Many congratulations, Kelly. I'm sure this will be the first of many.

My money is on Kelly attaining No.1 status within 2 years. Any thoughts anyone ?

I see it happening by the end of next year. Holding on to number one or any ranking is going to get much harder though since the talent level is really going up rapidly. I have never seen so many women who are hungry to be pro players. And they are well aware of the level of play they need to bring to the table to compete.

I predict that 1,2, and 3 are going to be doing a lot more switching in the comng years. It's too bad that Jean Balukas quit because her game might have raised the general level of the tour players earlier as Allison, Karen and Kelly's games are doing now.

And I want to extend a shout out to Vivian for her good showing and apparent comeback. Now I get to see you at least twice on TV this year.

John

landshark77
04-04-2005, 07:13 AM
I believe that in the history of the WPBA Classic tour, which began in 1993, this is the second time an unseeded player has won a WPBA nine ball title. The first, if memory serves, was when Kelly Oyama won in Minnesota in either 1995 or 1996 -- I can't quite remember which year it was.

At the 2003 US Open, Ga Young Kim came within a missed double hill nine ball in the finals of becoming the second unseeded player to win a title.

OK SJM here is one for you....Kelly is not yet a Tourning Pro; I am taking a leap here and saying she is still a Semi- Pro. Has any other Semi-Pros won a WPBA 9-ball title??

sniper
04-04-2005, 08:26 AM
It was only a matter of time before Kelly took her first title, sounds like she was really in the zone. Where's Grem? He must be thrilled his girl got her first WPBA win.

Johnnyt
04-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Anyone know if Kelly Fisher has a web site? Johnnyt :

Rackin_Zack
04-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Oh, and that bum Rackin_Zack owes me $1 (US) because he bet me Kelly would not break and run the first rack of her match against Vivian. (Her 4th in a row at that point.)

It was the first rack against Gerda, but I still owe you the money...lol. I forgot all about that :) Hopefully we'll be able to meet up later this week and settle up.

Eric.
04-04-2005, 11:56 AM
I see it happening by the end of next year. Holding on to number one or any ranking is going to get much harder though since the talent level is really going up rapidly. I have never seen so many women who are hungry to be pro players. And they are well aware of the level of play they need to bring to the table to compete.

I predict that 1,2, and 3 are going to be doing a lot more switching in the comng years. It's too bad that Jean Balukas quit because her game might have raised the general level of the tour players earlier as Allison, Karen and Kelly's games are doing now.

And I want to extend a shout out to Vivian for her good showing and apparent comeback. Now I get to see you at least twice on TV this year.

John

OK John. You've convinced me on Kelly. I'm just glad I never was part of the Abernathy/Fisher thing. It would have been my money and your experience becoming YOU'RE money and MY experience :D

Eric

landshark77
04-04-2005, 12:05 PM
OK John. You've convinced me on Kelly. I'm just glad I never was part of the Abernathy/Fisher thing. It would have been my money and your experience becoming YOU'RE money and MY experience :D

Eric
Eric....you were gonna bet against Fisher???? :confused: :confused: CRAZY boy...CRAZY!

Wally in Cincy
04-04-2005, 12:18 PM
... Has any other Semi-Pros won a WPBA 9-ball title??

I think Allison won the second WPBA tourney she played in

Eric.
04-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Eric....you were gonna bet against Fisher???? :confused: :confused: CRAZY boy...CRAZY!

What? You think that's the only mistake I've made in my life? :p

Eric

Kerry Impson
04-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I think Allison won the second WPBA tourney she played inYou're right, making her another player to win a WPBA tournament as an unseeded player.

Chicken_Blood
04-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Congratulations.

sjm
04-04-2005, 04:08 PM
You're right, making her another player to win a WPBA tournament as an unseeded player.

Eureka! nice catch, Wally in Cincy. Easy to forget that Allison was a semi-pro once, but you guys are absolutely right. Landshark, I defer to Wally in Cincy, Kelly Fisher was not the first semi-pro to win a WPBA Classic Tour nine ball titile. Has me wondering about Jeanette Lee, who also won one of her earliest tournaments. Didn't realize at first just how tough this question is!

pooltchr
04-04-2005, 07:10 PM
OK SJM here is one for you....Kelly is not yet a Tourning Pro; I am taking a leap here and saying she is still a Semi- Pro. Has any other Semi-Pros won a WPBA 9-ball title??

According to the WPBA, she has not reached touring pro status. But it seems to be a technicality. 6 world snooker championships are just a part of her long list of accomplishments. She is a pro in anyone's book! I suspect this minor technicality will be rectified fairly quickly.

Way to go, Kelly! See ya when you get back!
Steve

landshark77
04-04-2005, 07:22 PM
According to the WPBA, she has not reached touring pro status. But it seems to be a technicality. 6 world snooker championships are just a part of her long list of accomplishments. She is a pro in anyone's book! I suspect this minor technicality will be rectified fairly quickly.

Way to go, Kelly! See ya when you get back!
Steve

No offense to you Steve or to Kelly, but I disagree. IMO, it doesn't matter what her achievements in other billiards games are, she still needs to q like everyone else...fair is fair. In my book Kelly is Pro also, but on paper she isn't and I don't feel that is wrong.

vapoolplayer
04-04-2005, 07:37 PM
No offense to you Steve or to Kelly, but I disagree. IMO, it doesn't matter what her achievements in other billiards games are, she still needs to q like everyone else...fair is fair. In my book Kelly is Pro also, but on paper she isn't and I don't feel that is wrong.

whether or not she's a "touring pro" doesn't really matter. its a WPBA status, for qualifying, seeding and such.

just because you're not a "touring pro" doesn't mean you're not a pro pool player.

i agree with landshark, you have to archieve the "touring pro" status through competition like everyone else on tour. besides, she'll have it in another tourney or two.

VAP

sjm
04-04-2005, 07:46 PM
just because you're not a "touring pro" doesn't mean you're not a pro pool player.

Actually it does, because it means Kelly Fisher remains eligible to play in events restricted to semi-pros until she become s a WPBA touring pro, which I believe will happen at the next WPBA rankings event, the BCA Open.

Still, as Kelly Fisher and Karen Corr and Allison Fisher before her have proven, you can be one of the elite even before you become a pro pool player. Of course, in each of their cases, they were professionals in cuesports on arrival in the US, just not in pool.

So , in the end, VAPOOLPLAYER, you're right, it's all just a technicality.

Wally in Cincy
04-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Actually it does, because it means Kelly Fisher remains eligible to play in events restricted to semi-pros until she become s a WPBA touring pro,.

Or she can go to Vegas in May 2004 and win the BCA amateur 8-ball tournament, as an amateur, not a pro, not even a master.

Lmarr9
04-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Just wanted to say congrats to you girl.

I knew it would not take you long.

Lisa

KBP
04-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Hey Kelly,
Congrats from the Fury Amateur 9-Ball Tour. We are proud and the Ladies are looking forward to working up to your status. See ya soon. Had fun at Allen Hopkins and I am looking forward to working with you again.
Kay Higgins

onepocketchump
04-12-2005, 08:42 AM
LS, It would have been professional courtesy to extend some tour spots to national and world champions in other cuesports disciplines. Let's not forget that Allison Fisher never had to play in one qualifier, as far as I know. Allison was invited to the first tournaments and she never looked back.

I think it would have been alright to have extended Kelly the invites. But as it is she is doing just fine like this. She will never have to say that she bypassed the qualifying stage.

John

KBP
04-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Landshark,
Kelly is a Semi Pro and is not a pro. Although I feel that she is a pro in her abilities and her mannerism she is still a Semi Pro in the pool world. She has worked hard and hard work is paid by off by getting to attend in events. There are players that never qualify that come up and win events and there's nothing wrong with that.
Kay

landshark77
04-12-2005, 09:56 AM
LS, It would have been professional courtesy to extend some tour spots to national and world champions in other cuesports disciplines. Let's not forget that Allison Fisher never had to play in one qualifier, as far as I know. Allison was invited to the first tournaments and she never looked back.

I think it would have been alright to have extended Kelly the invites. But as it is she is doing just fine like this. She will never have to say that she bypassed the qualifying stage.

John

I was unaware that Allison was able to bypass anything. But was the system different when Allison came in as opposed to when Kelly did? I do not know the answer to that. I don't know the history of the q'ers and I don't know historically how one became a Pro. I only know the system as it is currently. If it is the same then I would say it was not fair for Allison to be treated differently. However, as the system stands now, I would have to maintain my point of view that EVERYONE must q the same way. How would it be fair to all those other girls who try weekend after weekend to get that spot only to find out one was taken away and given to someone else because they were a champ in another game? Despite that fact that many people view the WPBA players as "the best in the world"; the simple fact is they are actually "the best in the U.S." If the WPBA was infact TRULY international then I could agree with your suggestion that it would be a professional courtesy to extend invites to champs of other cuesports.

Kelly's got game and she is a great person on top of it, so please don't confuse my views with any ill feelings against Kelly. She is on my "WPBA Pick 4" list that Jake started, and she will be there for awhile.

landshark77
04-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Landshark,
Kelly is a Semi Pro and is not a pro. Although I feel that she is a pro in her abilities and her mannerism she is still a Semi Pro in the pool world. She has worked hard and hard work is paid by off by getting to attend in events. There are players that never qualify that come up and win events and there's nothing wrong with that.
Kay

Kay, I never said that she was a pro. This is kind of an old thread and I have not gone back to review my post, but I know that Kelly is a semi-pro, and I believe that I also pointed that out. I am confused by what you are thinking I said. :confused:

KBP
04-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Kay, I never said that she was a pro. This is kind of an old thread and I have not gone back to review my post, but I know that Kelly is a semi-pro, and I believe that I also pointed that out. I am confused by what you are thinking I said. :confused:

This is what you said>

It looks like you were saying that she should have had to qualify for the event and it was unfair the way she got in. That is how I took it. If that's not what you meant I am sorry. I felt like you were cutting her down for how she got to where she is and she has worked hard. Maybe she went about it in a different way than what you felt should have been but players do that all the time.

landshark77
04-12-2005, 08:47 PM
This is what you said>

It looks like you were saying that she should have had to qualify for the event and it was unfair the way she got in. That is how I took it. If that's not what you meant I am sorry. I felt like you were cutting her down for how she got to where she is and she has worked hard. Maybe she went about it in a different way than what you felt should have been but players do that all the time.
Oh, I was replying to Steve's post. (Post #32) Read what he quoted me as saying. I was disagreeing with his choice of terms. He said it was only a technicality that she was not yet a Pro. I don't think it is a technicality, I think it is the system and she is not yet a Pro because she hasn't yet earned her pro points. And I am not saying that she hasn't earned them because she is slow. She could have won every event since her first q slot and she still wouldn't yet be a Pro. That is just the system. I am sorry if I was confusing. Again, I think Kelly is a great person and player. I would never cut her down. And I don't think she went about it in any different way. The q'ing system is pretty clear cut, lol.

KBP
04-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Landshark.
Glad we got that straight. I was confused and it looked kind of bad the way the posting was going. Kelly and Val are both super ladies. I worked at the Fury booth at Allen Hopkins and was able to spend some time with them. They are great people and good players. Thanks
Kay

landshark77
04-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Landshark.
Glad we got that straight. I was confused and it looked kind of bad the way the posting was going. Kelly and Val are both super ladies. I worked at the Fury booth at Allen Hopkins and was able to spend some time with them. They are great people and good players. Thanks
Kay
I agree 500%. ;)