PDA

View Full Version : Schon or custom SP?

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 03:50 AM
I'm in the market for a new cue and I can't decide what to get. My budget is ~$500 and I'm looking at getting a Schon, Predator SPWU (the wood joint SP), or just having a cuemaker build me a custom. I currently shoot with a 314 shaft and have gotten used to using english on the majority of my shots...but I'm working on breaking that habit to play a more consistent game.

I really want a custom built cue, but I'm afraid that I may not like the feel of it and that I'll have to force myself to like it. I know that in the future, I'll be able to narrow down on what I do and don't like about a cue (balance point, ferrule and joint material, pin size/type...) by shooting with a variety of different setups...but as of now, I have no specific prefrence other than cue weight.

I think that in purchasing a high-end production cue, I'll be buying a cue that, in general, hits good.

Any help is appreciated...thanks in advance.

vapoolplayer
04-05-2005, 04:11 AM
I'm in the market for a new cue and I can't decide what to get. My budget is ~$500 and I'm looking at getting a Schon, Predator SPWU (the wood joint SP), or just having a cuemaker build me a custom. I currently shoot with a 314 shaft and have gotten used to using english on the majority of my shots...but I'm working on breaking that habit to play a more consistent game.

I really want a custom built cue, but I'm afraid that I may not like the feel of it and that I'll have to force myself to like it. I know that in the future, I'll be able to narrow down on what I do and don't like about a cue (balance point, ferrule and joint material, pin size/type...) by shooting with a variety of different setups...but as of now, I have no specific prefrence other than cue weight.

I think that in purchasing a high-end production cue, I'll be buying a cue that, in general, hits good.

Any help is appreciated...thanks in advance.

well, if the cue you have made doesn't fit your game the way you want, you'll know pretty quick and still be able to sell it like new.

for 500 you can get a pretty nice custom cue from middle popularity cuemaker. you won't be able to get near a big name cuemaker for that. unless you find something used on the low end.

can't go wrong with a schon for the most part.

i went through the same phase, not really knowing exactly what i liked..........i went from a 200 muecci to a 350 used BCM custom to a 800 used phillippi.................now i know exactly what i like and i'm having a cue made for me around the same price as my last cue. nothing fancy, just exactly what i want in a cue.

it is gonna cost a little bit to find out exactly what you like, but i got my money back in each cue, except for the muecci.

VAP

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the reply vapoolplayer...I didn't expect to get replys that quick! I'm on the west coast (it's about 4:00am over here)...school really messed up my sleeping habit.

As for the Schon...that's precisely how I feel - "can't go wrong with a schon for the most part." I've hit with a few Schons and I have no complaints...they all hit very solid and predictable.

I think I'm starting to lean more towards getting a custom, for exactly what you said about the resale value. I don't need anything fancy, I just want a great playing cue. With all the cuemakers around...I just don't know who to pick. I know a guy that had a cue made by Ariel Carmeli, but I doubt that he'll let me shoot around with it (the cue has something like 12 points with all sorts of inlays worth at least a few thousand). How did you finally decide which cuemaker to go with? And how come you didn't get a BCM the second time around (after you found what you were looking for in a cue). What made you want to go to another cuemaker rather than getting another BCM to your "more specific" liking.

I'm sure that any of the revered cuemakers mentioned all over the forum are reputable...but I'd like to find a local (So. Cal.) cue maker that could walk me through finding exactly what I want. Or better yet, a cuemaker on the verge of becoming a "big name" so I can get in on their cues while they're cheap.

Thanks again for the reply...

BTW, where does all this AZBilliard Meucci hatred come from? :p
I've never encountered this before I started lurking around the forum. Quite a few strong players I knew are "die-hard" Meucci shooters. I know that they feel "whippy" - but I get insane amounts of english when I shoot with them (especially helpful on a slow table). I guess I respect Meucci since I'm an english junkie (again...I'm learning to cut down on that).
"i got my money back in each cue, except for the muecci." - Ouch.

vapoolplayer
04-05-2005, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the reply vapoolplayer...I didn't expect to get replys that quick! I'm on the west coast (it's about 4:00am over here)...school really messed up my sleeping habit..

if i'm not practicing........i'm on AZB.......i have NO LIFE........

I think I'm starting to lean more towards getting a custom, for exactly what you said about the resale value. I don't need anything fancy, I just want a great playing cue. With all the cuemakers around...I just don't know who to pick. I know a guy that had a cue made by Ariel Carmeli, but I doubt that he'll let me shoot around with it (the cue has something like 12 points with all sorts of inlays worth at least a few thousand). How did you finally decide which cuemaker to go with? And how come you didn't get a BCM the second time around (after you found what you were looking for in a cue). What made you want to go to another cuemaker rather than getting another BCM to your "more specific" liking...

i'm pretty good friends with the local cuemaker, so i'm letting him build the cue for me. if for some reason it doesn't hit like i want it to, i'll get my money back out of it. i'm also on the list for a Hercek cue, but thats about 5.5-6 years away, so i'll be needing a cue till then. i

i would have gone with another BCM cue, but like i said, i know the guy here, and brian is out in arizona, so i figured i'd let the local man do it.

the phillippi i have was a spur of the moment thing, i saw it, liked how it looked, then when i picked it up, i knew i had to have it, so i bought it a week later. i love it for the most part, except the butt of the cue is a little thick in the back for my liking. and its about a 19.1, i've found that 18.7 with a little forward balance and a thin butt is the best for me.

BTW, where does all this AZBilliard Meucci hatred come from? :p
I've never encountered this before I started lurking around the forum. Quite a few strong players I knew are "die-hard" Meucci shooters. I know that they feel "whippy" - but I get insane amounts of english when I shoot with them (especially helpful on a slow table). I guess I respect Meucci since I'm an english junkie (again...I'm learning to cut down on that).
"i got my money back in each cue, except for the muecci." - Ouch.

no offense to anyone, but muecci's are one of the worst hitting cue's for my taste. i started out with one, because i saw alot of them. i got alot of action, and it made me think i was hot shit, but after my stroke smoothed out, i was getting far too much action, and not enough control.

seems like everyone at one point and time has owned a muecci and sold it.........LOL

VAP

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 05:14 AM
I have never owned a meucci dont know why but just never like them. Never hit with one until yesterday when a guy at the hall got a new one and was extatic (sp) over it and said hit with it you will be amazed. I wasnt but didnt want to hurt feelings told him it hit good. I said a cue hit bad before and the guy got a little mad at me and started causing a scene yes I learned my lesson keep your opinons to yourself even if the person says be honest!!!

Anyways if I was you I would go with a custom definatley. Since you dont know what you like yet just go to 2 different cue makers and get a sneaky done. You could get a sneaky done for about $200 and since your budget is $500 you can add a little to each. This way you can get 2 cues instead of just one! Just make sure they arent bar cue butts but they are actually spliced butts.

drivermaker
04-05-2005, 05:22 AM
but as of now, I have no specific prefrence other than cue weight.

Then you might be better off with a Schon. At least if you don't like the weight you can change out the weight bolt a thousand times to get it exactly where you want it. With almost all customs, if the cuemaker misses his mark, which they've been known to do, you can only change the weight by changing the shaft to something heavier or lighter, and that's a much smaller range and affects feel and balance more.

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 05:25 AM
I guess I have no life too...played pool from 9:00pm - midnight, ate, straight to AZBilliards (and numerous cue websites).

I know exactly what you mean (about too much action with Meucci's). As I started to learn how to really "stroke" I was getting all kinds of action on the CB. I guess a lot of the players that don't like Meucci's have the luxury to play on well maintained, fast, tables. I play the majority of my practice time on VERY slow tables (for free though). I also get to play for free on really nice Brunswick Gold Crowns and Olhausen tables (tables are no more than two years old, and just got re-clothed with Simonis (sp?)a couple weeks ago), but these tables are at the game room at the university I go to...and I hardly attend lecture enough to be able to hang around the campus.

Well, I've e-mailed Jerry Eick at Blackheart cues a few times but am still awaiting a price and wait estimate. I've contacted Viattorre, but they never responded.

I pretty much just want a sneaky pete (ebony on birds eye maple). I can't decide if I want the joint and ferrule made out of ivory though. Or should I just stick to what they normally use on their cues? I don't want this to turn into a "pro/con ivory thread"...but does real ivory make that much of a difference in the hit?

BTW, thank to both of you again for replying. Are both of you in Virginia? (usernames)

vapoolplayer
04-05-2005, 05:31 AM
I guess I have no life too...played pool from 9:00pm - midnight, ate, straight to AZBilliards (and numerous cue websites).

I know exactly what you mean (about too much action with Meucci's). As I started to learn how to really "stroke" I was getting all kinds of action on the CB. I guess a lot of the players that don't like Meucci's have the luxury to play on well maintained, fast, tables. I play the majority of my practice time on VERY slow tables (for free though). I also get to play for free on really nice Brunswick Gold Crowns and Olhausen tables (tables are no more than two years old, and just got re-clothed with Simonis (sp?)a couple weeks ago), but these tables are at the game room at the university I go to...and I hardly attend lecture enough to be able to hang around the campus.

Well, I've e-mailed Jerry Eick at Blackheart cues a few times but am still awaiting a price and wait estimate. I've contacted Viattorre, but they never responded.

I pretty much just want a sneaky pete (ebony on birds eye maple). I can't decide if I want the joint and ferrule made out of ivory though. Or should I just stick to what they normally use on their cues? I don't want this to turn into a "pro/con ivory thread"...but does real ivory make that much of a difference in the hit?

BTW, thank to both of you again for replying. Are both of you in Virginia? (usernames)

once you get your stroke right, it won't matter what kind of cloth you're playing on. i actually prefer slower cloth, as it lets me hit the balls with more authority.

as far as ivory, i won't use anything but ivory ferrules, i love the way they hit. i do have a mcdermott I shaft on order, it doesn't come with ivory, i'll try it, and maybe have it modified. i use a stainless steel joint, i've used wood to wood, and they both hit very well IMO.

the ivory joint will noticably soften the overall hit of the cue.

VAP(from virginia)

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 05:32 AM
Thanks too drivermaker...you must have posted while I was typing.

As for your reply about the Schon...if I do get one, it will probably be a very basic cue-and I'll be able to "fiddle" with the variations while I hone in on my cue preferences.

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 05:32 AM
No ivory just makes it look nice now if you get an ivory ferrule then yes they give IMO a soft hit. Schon has kind of a solid hard hit. I would just get a wood to wood joint 3/8-10 with ivory ferrule in one and the other try a different joint maybe a 5/16-14 or 18 piloted joint with maybe an aegis 2 or other type ferrule just try them out depending on who you get them from if you dont like them I would buy one from you!!! LOL!! Dont expect to get a reply from black boar he isnt making cues for the public for another 2 or 3 years he has an exclusive deal with lucky. This info was in another thread just dont know where, didnt feel like looking it up! Yeah we are both in Va I am near dc and I think VAP is in richmond.

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 05:36 AM
See I dont think the ivory joint makes a different IMO. I do say the ferrule cause I have an espirtu sneaky pete and I didnt like the hit of that when I first got it so I put an ivory ferrule on it and IMO it significantly soften the hit. The joint is a 5/16-14 piloted joint. But to each is own I guess I currently play with a cue that doesnt have a ferrule and man that thing hits solid!!! probably end up cracking the wood if I keep breaking with it but I like the way the thing hits!!

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 05:41 AM
My problem is, I like the look and feel of wood joints, but I want the balance of a heavier joint. I have a cheap sneaky pete butt that my 314 fits and I really like how it feels more like hitting with a solid one piece cue...but without added weight that a stainless joint gives to the front (like my Viking which I originally bought the shaft for), stroking it feels awkward.

If I get a custom, I'm definitely sold on an ivory ferrule, but what about an ivory joint? Is an ivory joint comparable to a wood joint hit...but with the added weight towards the front? If so...ivory it is. Please don't tell me an ivory butt cap helps too...thats another $100 into the cue!

drivermaker
04-05-2005, 05:41 AM
See I dont think the ivory joint makes a different IMO.

Sure it does....there's a hell of a difference between the hit/feel of an ivory joint compared to stainless as well as affecting the balance and weight of the cue. In his case, he's going to be exceeding his $500 budget real quick with his champagne tastes though.

jjinfla
04-05-2005, 05:42 AM
Well, I just picked up a Schon LTD 315 and overall I like it pretty well. Today I am taking it to the local cue man and have him cut down the tip/ferrule/shaft a tad. So it will be less than 13mm. And lo and behold I do find that I get more deflection with this cue then I was used to with my other one with the 314 on it. So I have to retrain myself on how to shoot with inside english. Now where did I put Joe Tucker's book?

And I am also going to have him build me a custom cue to my specs. Since he is new I will get it for $200 to $250. No ivory or fancy scroll work but he does put out a nice cue.

Jake

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 05:43 AM
My problem is, I like the look and feel of wood joints, but I want the balance of a heavier joint. I have a cheap sneaky pete butt that my 314 fits and I really like how it feels more like hitting with a solid one piece cue...but without added weight that a stainless joint gives to the front (like my Viking which I originally bought the shaft for), stroking it feels awkward.

If I get a custom, I'm definitely sold on an ivory ferrule, but what about an ivory joint? Is an ivory joint comparable to a wood joint hit...but with the added weight towards the front? If so...ivory it is. Please don't tell me an ivory butt cap helps too...thats another $100 into the cue!

If you want weight towards the front of the cue get a stainless steel joint!! No you dont need an ivory butt cap!!

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 05:46 AM
lukeinva...is your sneaky for sale?

Also, how are the players in Virginia. I lived there during the summer almost 10 years ago with my dad while he was stationed in Newport News Naval Base. I stayed around Virginia Beach with some relatives during that time also...pretty nice place (Virginia Beach...not Newport News).

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 05:46 AM
Sure it does....there's a hell of a difference between the hit/feel of an ivory joint compared to stainless as well as affecting the balance and weight of the cue. In his case, he's going to be exceeding his $500 budget real quick with his champagne tastes though.

Yes your right about the ivory. I dont like the SS joint never have just to shiny for my taste!! I usually play with a wood2wood joint what the hell do I know!! yeah if you keep talking about ivory this and that you going to be getting a $1000 sneaky pete!! LOL

catscradle
04-05-2005, 05:49 AM
I pretty much just want a sneaky pete (ebony on birds eye maple). (usernames)

FWIW, I hear good things about Scott Sherbine, www.proficientbilliards.com.

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 05:52 AM

Also, how are the players in Virginia. I lived there during the summer almost 10 years ago with my dad while he was stationed in Newport News Naval Base. I stayed around Virginia Beach with some relatives during that time also...pretty nice place (Virginia Beach...not Newport News).

No my sneaky isnt for sale!! though i can probably get you another espiritu sneaky if you want. What I was told is Russ doesnt make them unless he knows you and this pro that lives around me is very very good friends with russ. Russ sponsors him and he only made like 20 sneakys. Again this is what the pro told me. So they may be valuble I dont know. IS THERE ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE THAT HAS A RUSS ESPIRITU SNEAKY PETE??? But I will ask my friend if he wants to sell his I will let you know! Yeah I am way way north of VA beach! Players in Va are jam good I mean they are the best in the country NO ONE CAN BEAT US!! NO ONE DAMN IT!! Unless of course they are better but other than that no one can beat us!! :D

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the replys...

Jake-I (and I'm sure many others) would like to hear your review on the Schon and the custom-maybe a comparison? I think side-by-side comparisons are most helpful since reviews are mainly the same old things about likes and dislikes, but its hard to tell to what extent.

I too fell for the "deflection" trap...although the shafts do deflect less than the better shafts I've hit with (older and newer Joss and Schon). I think the drawbacks about deflection are blown way out of proportion, and I found that I'd gladly take back a little bit of deflection in return for a more solid hit. I guess the main advantage of a Predator shaft is its radial consistency. But then again...how much fluxuation can a shaft possibly have?

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 06:02 AM
32 I do have predator shafts for sale!!! let me know if you need 2 more !!! :p

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Luke-I'll take you up on that offer for the sneaky petes, just as long as its not too much trouble to ask.

I'm not saying I didn't like the 314's, it's just that I wouldn't mind trading off a bit more deflection for a more pure hit.

BTW, what are the joint types on the shafts. I have a friend who's looking to buy if I don't sell him mine.

In response to the $1,000 sneaky...if I could afford it, I probably wouldn't mind spending that much on a playing cue. I'd rather have a $1k sp that plays amazing than a loaded $3k collecter cue that plays the same but is too pretty to play with. :(

Koop
04-05-2005, 06:37 AM
FWIW, I hear good things about Scott Sherbine, www.proficientbilliards.com.

I'll vouch for that. For under $300 I have the best hitting cue I have ever owned. This includes 2 Schons, Helmstetter, Jacoby and of course the infamous Mooch. Just in case you are interested in seeing one here is a link.

Regards,
Dave

http://www.proficientbilliards.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=17209&cat=262&page=1

Jersey
04-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Had to chime in...I've played with a Meucci for 3yrs...got the Black Dot Shaft...like it well enough...can get great action moving the rock...but on strong stroke and power shots, especially where the cb is on the rail...I got a little more 'flex' than I wanted...per the suggestions of my fellow AZB'ers I started looking at cues known for a solid hit, good balance, excellent workmanship and tolerences...I looked at and hit with Schon, Joss, Pechauer and Schuler...didn't feel I was ready to go 'custom', settled on the Schon...liked it all the way around, as most people seem to also...bought it from Erik Lee Cues...great guy, great buy!...you can get a basic 4pt players cue from him well within your budget...$425-, I bought a LTD 916, looks great, hits even better!

Shorty
04-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Had to chime in...I've played with a Meucci for 3yrs...got the Black Dot Shaft...like it well enough...can get great action moving the rock...but on strong stroke and power shots, especially where the cb is on the rail...I got a little more 'flex' than I wanted...per the suggestions of my fellow AZB'ers I started looking at cues known for a solid hit, good balance, excellent workmanship and tolerences...I looked at and hit with Schon, Joss, Pechauer and Schuler...didn't feel I was ready to go 'custom', settled on the Schon...liked it all the way around, as most people seem to also...bought it from Erik Lee Cues...great guy, great buy!...you can get a basic 4pt players cue from him well within your budget...$425-, I bought a LTD 916, looks great, hits even better!

Same here Jersey, LTD 642 from Erik and love it. He is a great great guy to work with and I got a good deal on the cue. Except I put a 314 Pred on it, because I was already used to that shaft.

Shorty

vapoolplayer
04-05-2005, 07:19 AM

one word for you..........WEAK.......

overall anyway. the farther north you go, the tougher the competion gets. players are alot stronger in the northern va/dc/md area than down here. once you go farther south than fredricksburg the competion starts going down hill pretty fast...................i'm actually thinking of moving to NC because of this fact.

VAP

drivermaker
04-05-2005, 07:51 AM

overall anyway. the farther north you go, the tougher the competion gets. players are alot stronger in the northern va/dc/md area than down here. once you go farther south than fredricksburg the competion starts going down hill pretty fast...................i'm actually thinking of moving to NC because of this fact.

VAP

Sounds like you described yourself to a tee in that first sentence. You're not ready to move yet...hell, you don't even know how to aim. They'd kill you up there. :D

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I'll vouch for that. For under $300 I have the best hitting cue I have ever owned. This includes 2 Schons, Helmstetter, Jacoby and of course the infamous Mooch. Just in case you are interested in seeing one here is a link.

Regards,
Dave

http://www.proficientbilliards.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=17209&cat=262&page=1

You got all them cues for under $300 damn where do you get your cues??

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 08:01 AM

VAP

So does any one play for some money down there?? and I aint talking about 5 bucks a game!! What about $7 or $8 :D

drivermaker
04-05-2005, 08:03 AM
So does any one play for some money down there?? and I aint talking about 5 bucks a game!! What about $7 or $8 :D

How would he know...he's never had that much in his pocket. LOL

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 08:03 AM

Did you hit with a real schuler ?? They hit like a mutha beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 08:05 AM
I will call my friend!! What type of joint you want I can get them all!! Brand new too!!!

NOSAJ03
04-05-2005, 09:01 AM
IMHO I would play with a few more productions and just play more in general to get a feel for what you want based on how you play. I think you actually start to notice your mechanics more when you start using different equipment because you will see how your game reacts to variables ie tip size, taper, etc. After you get an idea about what you want then you may feel more comfortable ordering a custom. I personally would go with a custom plain jane because you would be dealing with a cuemaker personally rather than something mass produced.

Jersey
04-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Did you hit with a real schuler ?? They hit like a mutha beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!

mutha beeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!! in a good way or a bad way?...actually there's a middle aged lady player in my room...she and her hubby have been APA'g since the 70's I think, and they have got one hell of a cue collection!...I don't remember how old the Schuler was...but sufice it to say she didn't buy it on the internet! :) ...anyway, all the cues I listed in my post were great...settled on the Schon...based on the way it played for me, and the advice and feedback I've seen in the Forum about them...what are you shootin' with?

pbat2751
04-05-2005, 09:28 AM
If your looking for a Sneaky Pete you cannot go wrong with DZ cues

http://www.dzcues.com/sneaky_petes.htm

Koop
04-05-2005, 10:12 AM
You got all them cues for under $300 damn where do you get your cues??

Huh! I got the Sherbine for under $300. My point was that for less than $300 I found a cue with a better hit (IMO) than the others mentioned. The only cue under $300 mentioned other than the Sherbine was the Mooch and the Helmstetter was 300 on the nose.

Koop

Fred Agnir
04-05-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm in the market for a new cue and I can't decide what to get. My budget is ~$500 and I'm looking at getting a Schon, Predator SPWU (the wood joint SP), or just having a cuemaker build me a custom. My suggestion would be to have a cue made by one of the fine cuemakers that contribute to the board. Work with them in telling them what you are looking for. I would suggest:

Mike Webb
Barry Cameron
Jerry Eick (Blackheart)
John Madden

among others.
I currently shoot with a 314 shaft and have gotten used to using english on the majority of my shots...but I'm working on breaking that habit to play a more consistent game.I don't understand anything you just wrote. You certainly don't need a 314 shaft to get used to using english on all shots. And if you've "gotten used to using english on the majority" of shots, what do you mean that you need to break that habit to play a more consistent game? It sounds like you're not used to using english. Am I missing something?

Consistency comes with playing and repeating your mechanics, 314 or not.

If you're willing, have a cuemaker make a butt that will also match your 314. Then you can have both to choose.

Fred

Danny 314
04-05-2005, 03:03 PM
32-n-d
If you are stillinterested in a Schon, I have a CX-03 for sale. It is in great condition and comes with 2 shafts. One shaft 12.75mm, the other shaft is 12mm.

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the replys...

Danny: Please send pics to jbatin@ucsd.edu

Fred: I guess consistent wasn't the exact word I was looking for. I'm trying to switch to a simpler game. I used to move the cb all over with some pretty good control. I started doing it more for fun and because it made me concentrate harder. But now I'm looking to take my game to another level, and I see no need to make shots harder than they need to be.

lukeinva
04-05-2005, 04:44 PM
mutha beeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!! in a good way or a bad way?...actually there's a middle aged lady player in my room...she and her hubby have been APA'g since the 70's I think, and they have got one hell of a cue collection!...I don't remember how old the Schuler was...but sufice it to say she didn't buy it on the internet! :) ...anyway, all the cues I listed in my post were great...settled on the Schon...based on the way it played for me, and the advice and feedback I've seen in the Forum about them...what are you shootin' with?

They hit like a mutha beeeeeeeeeeeep!!!!!! IN A GOOD WAY!!

Danny 314
04-05-2005, 05:16 PM

Fred: I guess consistent wasn't the exact word I was looking for. I'm trying to switch to a simpler game. I used to move the cb all over with some pretty good control. I started doing it more for fun and because it made me concentrate harder. But now I'm looking to take my game to another level, and I see no need to make shots harder than they need to be.
I have not taken any picture of the cue yet. But here is what the cue looks like. You can find pictures on the internet by typing schon cx03 in your browser. I will take pictures ASAP for you.

I shoot with a Schon STL8. I have a predator shaft for it but went back to the schon shaft for simular reasons.

32-n-d
04-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Danny-thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a simple looking cue.

cubswin
04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
If your looking for a Sneaky Pete you cannot go wrong with DZ cues

http://www.dzcues.com/sneaky_petes.htm

Amen to that...

buddha162
04-06-2005, 12:20 AM
It's unlikely that you'll find a SP without a ss joint that will balance forward enough for your taste. OTOH, I think any reasonably balanced cue (1"-2" above wrap) will do fine, and I prefer a forward-balanced cue that is also EVENLY balanced, which most ss cues are not (at least not in the 19-19.5 oz range).

Note: I talked to and hit with a couple of Ned Morris cues at Valley Forge, and they hit fantastic, and I believe he's in SoCal. He told me he's starting to build a line of very basic cues; the ones I hit with were w/o any inlays or points, just a fancy ring at the buttcap. Maybe minus the beauty ring it'll be close to your budget.

-Roger

dooziexx
04-06-2005, 08:11 AM

Hey 32-n-d,
I sent you an email to the jbatin@ucsd.edu address...
Thanks,
Erik

32-n-d
04-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Going off what Buddha was saying about the weight...I found a $20 Walmart cue that someone threw away (broken cue whose joint was screwed on too tight and unscrewed between the joint and the forearm). And that cue had a great balance to it. It was a heavy cue weighing in at around 20-21oz, but the thing that made it feel so good was that the weight was distributed among the whole cue...not just at the joint and weight screw.