PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive cue?

Johnnyt
04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
What is the most expensive cue you ever saw and what kind was it? I am writing a fiction book about a pool playing detective and some exspensive cues have been stolen. Thank you for your help. Johnnyt

mastercueartist
04-05-2005, 12:01 PM
What is the most expensive cue you ever saw and what kind was it? I am writing a fiction book about a pool playing detective and some exspensive cues have been stolen. Thank you for your help. Johnnyt

I have a couple of Georges cues they say are worth alot.I would say the best FULLY FUNCTIONAL expensive cue I have seen and hit with and it hit good stock was a Tad or one of Gusses cues.Ofcourse for your readers I would think that one of Georges cues would be best notible as would one of Gusses. I would think if you go down the list of names and high end cues they vary and you may have too much input and loose the basic point to the reader.Also just because someone says or a book states a cue is worth $15,000 dont think your going to get it.Ive been told a cue I have made By George is worth about $25,000 .Everyone I that has told me that I have said well pay me and Ill take it.I have had no takers as of yet.I think there is a guy named Robin in Texas or Florida that could give you the exact sum of a value of a certain cue and if your book is serious thats who I would talk to about it.I think his info is in the books all you guys seem to value cues from.The few times I have talked to him he like a very nice guy and I think on cue values he is the man in the US.Im sure he would answer this question best.

hotcues
04-05-2005, 12:01 PM
THomas Wayne $106,000.00 :D

Purdman
04-05-2005, 12:23 PM

Yea, good ol Thomas Wayne. I quote, " Anybody who buys one of my cues to play with is buying it for the wrong reason ". Go figure!!!!!
Purdman :D

Johnnyt
04-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Thank you Don, Hotcues & Master. Very helpful. Johnnyt

The Hamster
04-05-2005, 12:29 PM

"The Celtic Prince" by Thomas Wayne sold for $103,000 to an unidentified overseas buyer.

chalkisfree
04-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Richard Black out of Texas, at least a couple cues over 120k. I held one of his "cheaper" cues in my hands at an expo a few years back. It was the "Chantilly", and it was going for the neighborhood of 20 grand. He is the guy.

hotcues
04-05-2005, 12:45 PM
"The Celtic Prince" by Thomas Wayne sold for $103,000 to an unidentified overseas buyer.
I read the cue is in the states and the buyer paid $106,000. One of the pool mags. may 2005. thanks.

pharaoh68
04-05-2005, 01:13 PM
I know Mr. Wu and Lucky pay some incredibly high prices for cues. There's a guy who posts n this site who owns a company called Highendcues. He has sold several Gus Szambotis for well over $100,000. :eek: People will apparantly pay anything for the right cue overseas!

Johnnyt
04-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Thank you all again. I'm going to go with the Richard Black Cues. I didn't know they went up that high. Johnnyt

Danny 314
04-05-2005, 01:26 PM
I saw a cue at a tournment selling for $50k. It was a year ago so I can remember the cue maker. It might have been a Souteast. It had rubies, diamonds, gold, turquois, ivory, ect. Alot of CNC inlays.
When I asked why he made it, he said "you can't sell a $50k cue if you dont have one to sell".
If you want to write about an expensive cue being stolen, an original Balabushka in top notch condition would sell for $20-40k. I had seen twin Balabushkas selling on cueauction.com with a high bid of $32k and the reserve had not been met yet. Just an idea to work with...

chalkisfree
04-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Richard Black is the Cadillac! Make sure you let us all know when you get your book finished!

Johnnyt
04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Me thinks some people just have too much money. Where were they when I played? Book should be out by July or August. Thank you. Johnnyt

merylane
04-05-2005, 02:39 PM
to the best of my knowlege gus's last cue he was working on holds the record at $250. his widow sold it 2years ago and it wasnt even finnished, no screw no ferrules and no finnish it looked as if he was just about to spay it.

Kevin
04-05-2005, 03:08 PM
I had no idea Richard Black's could go that high. I shoot with his basic 4-point model, retailed for about a $1000 back when. Cue is dated June 27, 1989.

I have shot a bit with a Thomas Wayne, a visiting pro let me try it out. Way too fancy for daily life IMO, beautiful, loads of ivory, very sweet soft hit. But priced over $10,000. No way I could see justifying that, thank you very much.

I'll stay with my Black and Ray Schuler.

jason
04-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Joe Gold (Cognoscenti) was in the Guiness Book of World Records a few years ago for selling the most expensive stick. I believe it was for $25,000. I guess we have a new world record huh?

I bet the owner couldn't win a $5 saturday night bar tournament....man I wish I could run into that guy!!

classiccues
04-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Most expensive cue...

My Gus Szamboti..

It was my uncles, who was also doubled as my best friend for a long time, was the best man in my wedding...

None of the people mentioned in this thread could buy it, EVER.

I guess, like in the commercial... PRICELESS...

Joe (---I had a good laugh when another dealer told me once he was going to buy it after my uncle died.. I had the cue in my posession and never knew it was for sale... :)

Ctatyk
04-05-2005, 05:55 PM
A friend of mine breaks with what is called his "priceless cue". It's a reworked bar cue that he's been offered in excess of $1000 for and laughed at the guy. The guy who wanted to buy it wanted to break it in half so that he never had to have it used against him again.

As for the most expensive cue...how about the Rambow that Willie Mosconi presented to Jackie Gleason? Didn't that cue go for a large chunk of change? Not only that...but it would be a particular cue that people might recognize just by stating what it is.

lord_shar
04-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Most expensive cue...

My Gus Szamboti..

It was my uncles, who was also doubled as my best friend for a long time, was the best man in my wedding...

None of the people mentioned in this thread could buy it, EVER.

I guess, like in the commercial... PRICELESS...

Joe (---I had a good laugh when another dealer told me once he was going to buy it after my uncle died.. I had the cue in my posession and never knew it was for sale... :)

Any chance you could link the picture here? I'm just curious about its actual appearance... :D

cuejoey
04-05-2005, 08:42 PM
really some nice stories here ..keep em coming..........

JoeyInCali
04-05-2005, 08:44 PM
There's a lot of doubt about that cue sold for that price.

Jon
04-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Any chance you could link the picture here? I'm just curious about its actual appearance... :D
Oh, i stole it.
I'll take pics ASAP.
Joe, you need to change the locks/combos on that safe...
:D
:p
:rolleyes:
:p

Johnnyt
04-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Thank you all for your input. I am going with Richard Black, Wayne Thomas, and Balbushka. Thanks. Johnnyt

classiccues
04-06-2005, 06:41 AM

Actually I posted pics in the gallery a while ago...

But its just a plain 4 point cue, 4 veneer, with leather wrap and a stitch ring at the joint.

Joe

classiccues
04-06-2005, 06:47 AM
The best thing about this thread is the amount of rumor that gets swirled around. Some one of these big purchases have little sidebars that go with them. Its not all cut and dry, for the most part. But it is interesting to see the accumulation of second, third, fourth person information. Don't ask me because we hear, what you hear.

I once heard that Joe Gold built Michael Jordan 5 cues for his home table, all at the time his higher end cues. Fact or fiction, who knows.

Joe

dooziexx
04-06-2005, 07:28 AM
The best thing about this thread is the amount of rumor that gets swirled around. Some one of these big purchases have little sidebars that go with them. Its not all cut and dry, for the most part. But it is interesting to see the accumulation of second, third, fourth person information. Don't ask me because we hear, what you hear.

I once heard that Joe Gold built Michael Jordan 5 cues for his home table, all at the time his higher end cues. Fact or fiction, who knows.

Joe

Joe,
I recalled you had 2 Gus Szamboti cues on your site, an 8 point and a 6 point, both were priced at $250K and $225K respectively. Im not sure if the cues were in Mark's collection but I know it was on your site. Its not there anymore... Did you take it down or are both cues sold??
-Erik

cuedoctor
04-06-2005, 08:04 AM
to the best of my knowlege gus's last cue he was working on holds the record at $250. his widow sold it 2years ago and it wasnt even finnished, no screw no ferrules and no finnish it looked as if he was just about to spay it.
DONT LET ALL THIS CHAT GO TO YOUR HEAD ABOUT RICHARD BLACK CUES,I HEAR THEY AREN'T EXACTLY DESIRABLE CUES RIGHT NOW AND JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE PAYS A CRAZY PRICE DOESNT MAKE THEM ANY BETTER THAN A 4 POINT GUS.!

The Hamster
04-06-2005, 09:21 AM
There's a lot of doubt about that cue sold for that price.

See picture of article attached....

The Hamster
04-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Thank you all for your input. I am going with Richard Black, Wayne Thomas, and Balbushka. Thanks. Johnnyt

That's Thomas Wayne vs Wayne Thomas....

rayjay
04-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Joe Gold made a cue for Jennifer Chen and a duplicate of it that's for sale at chalkers.com right now for $35k.
:cool:

JoeyInCali
04-06-2005, 12:57 PM
See picture of article attached....
Sorry but that pic and article does not prove anything.
The buyer supposedly wanted to stay anonymous for fear of other makers raising their prices on him. Does that make sense?

merylane
04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
DONT LET ALL THIS CHAT GO TO YOUR HEAD ABOUT RICHARD BLACK CUES,I HEAR THEY AREN'T EXACTLY DESIRABLE CUES RIGHT NOW AND JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE PAYS A CRAZY PRICE DOESNT MAKE THEM ANY BETTER THAN A 4 POINT GUS.!

richard black?

merylane
04-06-2005, 01:05 PM

Joe

so joe what was the highest you heard of thats reliable?

did you ever get to see gus's last cue?

i know there were 16 in progress and the most complete one barry said he wouldnt touch , but finnished the others the gsb's. i was fortunate enough to see the gsb and the only one of that design gus made but did not ask the price.

thufford
04-06-2005, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure about cues, but at the Super Billiard Expo in Valley Forge on March 17-20, there was a Cue Case that was supposed to be worth over $30K

classiccues
04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Joe,
I recalled you had 2 Gus Szamboti cues on your site, an 8 point and a 6 point, both were priced at $250K and $225K respectively. Im not sure if the cues were in Mark's collection but I know it was on your site. Its not there anymore... Did you take it down or are both cues sold??
-Erik

We just took them down. We found a certain collector using them to "compare" what he bought. When you cannot buy the best, you buy whats left. The 6 pointer is SUPER rare, and the 8 pointer is also special.

Joe

classiccues
04-06-2005, 05:18 PM

i know there were 16 in progress and the most complete one barry said he wouldnt touch , but finnished the others the gsb's. i was fortunate enough to see the gsb and the only one of that design gus made but did not ask the price.

The Wayne cue. All others are speculative because there was more than one cue involved. Thats all I know. Most GSB's went over seas, except number one.

Joe

merylane
04-06-2005, 05:49 PM
The Wayne cue. All others are speculative because there was more than one cue involved. Thats all I know. Most GSB's went over seas, except number one.

Joe

you wouldnt happen to know were the gsb that had the all black but with a dash ring 1" above the bumber end, not the typical gus style, i guess more hoppe style but no hoppe ring?

i hope you know the style i mean.

was there more than one cue when she sold the unfinnished 8 pointer?

classiccues
04-06-2005, 06:17 PM
you wouldnt happen to know were the gsb that had the all black but with a dash ring 1" above the bumber end, not the typical gus style, i guess more hoppe style but no hoppe ring?

i hope you know the style i mean.

was there more than one cue when she sold the unfinnished 8 pointer?

No, don't know where any GSB's are except the one we have. I saw a few, at Barry's but where abouts unknown. :)

As far as the last question I think the buyer would not want the particulars aired and what I know is just what I heard.

Joe

The Hamster
04-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Sorry but that pic and article does not prove anything.

I never said it did. But it's the closest thing to a supported reference I've heard so far. The rest has been pure speculation.

The buyer supposedly wanted to stay anonymous for fear of other makers raising their prices on him. Does that make sense?

I guess it's possible. There are a few American cue-makers who only sell to Asian buyers because they know they can get more for the same cue over there vs here.

mjantti
04-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Very difficult area... rare cues are like art, how can you put a price tag onto something that is unique ? I think the price is more determined by the demand and how much people are willing to pay for a certain item. And then it might be that one particular item is worth much more because it might have a special history or something. The same applies with famous paintings, Picasso's, Dali's etc. It's very difficult to put a price tag to a Picasso, because you just cannot order one anymore and the number of Picasso's work is limited because the artist is no longer alive.

If someone says this cue is worth $100k, I don't believe it until there are several transactions made with this price and there are several potential buyers who are willing to pay this price. The price of something unique is very hard to define...

HighEndCues
04-07-2005, 10:18 PM

Hello,
Gus Szamboti's Last Work is to Date the most Expensive cue ever sold... The exact figure I'm not at liberty to discuss, but it is a Big SIX figure cue. This is reliable information since I sold it.... I have sold other SIX figure cues, but none can compare to the Last Work. It is the Holy Grail of cues.... Anyone can price there cues at unrealistic prices but that doesn't mean there worth that. Only way to know what it's worth is to actually sell it. I've sold one of the nicest Gus 6 pointers, and one of the Rarest GSB's.
Until the Golden Balabushka or Famous 1st Ivory Handle Ginacue are sold you have the top 3 expensive cues made to date.
I'm just getting my Website up and running.... I've just started listing cues, and have many more to put up. A few Gina's will go up in the next couple of days, along with Barry Szamboti's 400th cue (Ebony/Ebony). I'll be up and running in a couple days www.highendcues.com
Best Ken

lukeinva
04-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Most expensive cue I have ever played with was richard blacks silver crown. Guy said he paid 8k or 10k I cant remember. It was nice but hit just like a cue that I have. The most expensive cue I have ever seen was the Dragon cue by mike lambros at valley forge in 2004. The guy at the booth (not lambros) told me it cost well into the 6 figures but couldnt give me a definite price. He also said I just missed out cause the owner was letting people play with it!!!

VitoCorleone
04-11-2005, 04:29 AM
A couple of years ago I played and talked to Jim Rempe at Germanys Billards Expo in Essen.

He played the "Taj Mahal" by Meucci. It's very expensive anyhow, but he had it individualized with real ivory, platinum and gold inlays.

He told me it was worth 50.000$ and he didn't allow anyone even to touch it.

I still remember the look on his face as somebody from the crowd tried to take it in his hands....

Bruce S. de Lis
04-11-2005, 07:22 AM

Think the most expensive Cue I have ever seen someone playing with who was not a Pro, or Celiberty was a $5.000.00+ Gina. ;)

Jack Madden
04-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Not the most expensive cue out there - but one of the dealers at the Hopkins Expo had a pair of cues with inscriptions and the documentation - one from Frank Sinatra to Dean Martin and one from Dean to Frank. Don't know the price but a number I heard was closer to $ 100 k than any other cue I saw at the Expo - of course I didn't see every cue - but there were really some nice cues there.
Jack Madden
www.johnmaddencues.com

bud green
04-12-2005, 06:29 AM
I always heard the Golden Balabushka was the most expensive cue. I think Pool & Billiard magazine had an article a while back about it saying it might be worth 300-500K. I don't know who in the hell would pay that.

Most expensive cue I've seen someone regularly play with is a Tad that a lawyer is So Cal plays with and is supposedly worth 7-10K. The guy is a b player of course...

MrLucky
04-12-2005, 06:52 AM
All of these post actually bring us back to the point that for most these cues over $1,500 - 2,500 are more for collecting and bragging rights (LOL! I have a Samsara in in the category and it sees very little play time outside the crib!! :D ) but as far as shooters the good ones without ego issues play with cuetecs (probably because they are paid to do so ? :rolleyes: ) Furys, McDermotts and with a few of the lower volume cue makers products that they either like or are given as endorsements ! :cool: