PDA

View Full Version : Nice playing cue for 400-500

TheFish
04-06-2005, 12:18 AM
I go play at a bar every now and then and am very afraid to take my cue cuz pple kick the cues accidentally all the time. So i am looking to buy a relatively solid playing cue..probably no veneers and all cocobolo or similar cue.

I currently have a 4k1 that i play with, but its too common:P so hopeing to switch to a custom cue. There was a nice scruggs all maple on erik lee's site, but that was sold (and it was for abotu 750 i think - good price i think), but does anyone have a suggestion for my budget? I imagine there must be a lot of choices for my budget range from a lot of the smaller not as well known makers? who are the up and comings? wouldnt mind taking a chacne on this, or would someone want to trade for my 4k1? i can sweeten the pot a little if needed:)

chalkisfree
04-06-2005, 12:31 AM
You have to consider the hit you're looking for. I had a beautiful $1400 Southwest that I gave up for a $600 Coker (also beautiful) about ten years ago, because the hit on the Southwest was too stiff for me. I'm still shooting with the Coker and happy with the performance I'm getting out of it. On the other hand, lots of people (maybe the majority) are looking for a stiff hit.

Anyway, my Coker has cocobolo points and a cocobolo/birdseye pattern on the butt that caught my eye when I first saw it in the pro shop. Gorgeous!

TheFish
04-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the response. I actually have a bender which i like very much...and also a skip which i am in the process of selling.

Just looking for a plain jane cue that doesnt stand out too much at a bar, and one i aint afraid to bash around with. To be honest. a plain jane solid (whatevr) wood cue looks really nice..i am on the boards a lot and here a lot of new names being thrown about..so if anyone can help.. thanks a bunch. I thought about cokers too.the only worry is the resale value on those..but i figured if i buy this playing cue. i dun mind what i do with it (up to a certain point of course).

You have to consider the hit you're looking for. I had a beautiful $1400 Southwest that I gave up for a $600 Coker (also beautiful) about ten years ago, because the hit on the Southwest was too stiff for me. I'm still shooting with the Coker and happy with the performance I'm getting out of it. On the other hand, lots of people (maybe the majority) are looking for a stiff hit.

Anyway, my Coker has cocobolo points and a cocobolo/birdseye pattern on the butt that caught my eye when I first saw it in the pro shop. Gorgeous!

chalkisfree
04-06-2005, 12:50 AM
If you don't mind shooting without a wrap, maybe you could get a custom sneaky, or tweak out a production sneaky - i.e. put on a shaft to your liking while leaving the butt alone. If your bar uses dufferins, go with that and slap on a 314 with a Moori Quick! :D

mjantti
04-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Basic Schon or a Prather should be fine, Prather makes plain janes and I think they hit nicely.

Hal
04-06-2005, 02:27 AM
A low end Espiritu would be a nice cue for you as well.

Jon P. Nusbaum
04-06-2005, 02:50 AM
:) You may want to look at my site,"www.cuesnthings.com",the Bob Frey Sneaky Petes in Dark Rosewood,4 Point with Spears goes for $425. and has a killer hit. JP

catscradle
04-06-2005, 04:23 AM
I go play at a bar every now and then and am very afraid to take my cue cuz pple kick the cues accidentally all the time. So i am looking to buy a relatively solid playing cue..probably no veneers and all cocobolo or similar cue.

I currently have a 4k1 that i play with, but its too common:P so hopeing to switch to a custom cue. There was a nice scruggs all maple on erik lee's site, but that was sold (and it was for abotu 750 i think - good price i think), but does anyone have a suggestion for my budget? I imagine there must be a lot of choices for my budget range from a lot of the smaller not as well known makers? who are the up and comings? wouldnt mind taking a chacne on this, or would someone want to trade for my 4k1? i can sweeten the pot a little if needed:)

Checkout Madison Bob (http://www.madisonbobs.com/) and/or Jerry Eick (http://www.blackheartcues.com/). They both make a good playing cue for reasonable money.

pete lafond
04-06-2005, 04:34 AM

Check out Mike Webb's cues. Great cues and very nice looking. He wil make to your specifications and the results will be none less than "sweet".

ToughRowToHoe
04-06-2005, 05:06 AM

I think a BCM might be a good fit.

crawdaddio
04-06-2005, 05:51 AM
Indeed, BCM or Scott Sherbine @ www.proficientbilliards.com

jazzn4444
04-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Fish,
There are so many good cues in that price range. Everyone is right on the money (no pun intended) with their choices. I'm personally attached to my Barnhart Cue. If you wanted more info, you should ask Sarah Rousey. She sold me mine!

vapoolplayer
04-06-2005, 06:53 AM
you can't go wrong with a gilbert jump/break cue..............its the only cue you can play with, break with, and jump with........that does ALL EXCEPTIONALLY WELL.

VAP

catscradle
04-06-2005, 07:05 AM
Check out Mike Webb's cues. Great cues and very nice looking. He wil make to your specifications and the results will be none less than "sweet".

Mike makes an excellent cue no doubt, but I think his starting cue now comes in at a figure above the 400.00-500.00 range. Maybe I'm wrong and would have certainly mentioned him if he's got cues falling in that range.

Jersey
04-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Take a look at these...

One thing you have to think about with a cue that looks very much like a 'House Cue', is people may mistake it for a house cue...you'll have to keep an eye on it, or break it down, so people will know it's not a house cue...

http://www.dzcues.com/sneaky_petes.htm

Mike Templeton
04-06-2005, 08:32 AM
I think a BCM might be a good fit.
I've got a nice BCM that might work well for you. I'm looking to get $275. It's solid ebony with a black linen wrap and white phenolic joint. Cue hits great.

Mike

dooziexx
04-06-2005, 08:42 AM

Hey Fish,
I have a brand new Pau Ferro BCM cue on my site. Will take 500 for it if you are interested. 2 Shafts... brand new..

Also if you want to up your budget to 600, I can hook you up with brand new Cokers... I have 3 more 6 pointers coming in a day or so...

Let me know if you are interested...
Thanks,
Erik