PDA

View Full Version : Seriously... Pools popularity...

Johnny "V"
04-06-2005, 04:48 AM
I was thinking the other night while looking for a table to play on "How would WE as the general pool playing public benifit from pool being more popular?" Realistically lets look at potentially what would happen if there were a popularity boom.

1) The table manufacturers would make more money
2) Production Cue makers would make more money
3) There would be a pool section in Wal-Mart
4) There may be an additional time devoted on televising pool (which I already record around 7-10 hours a week on TIVO)
5) I truely don't think there would be bigger purses in tournaments because the billiard industry already has money to devote to tournaments now and they are not rushing to spend it.
6) Table time prices will go up because of the demand (don't believe it just look at the price of concrete right now)
7) Being able to find an open table would be more difficult.
8) Cue prices would more than likely go up because of demand. Same with chalk, table accessories, etc.
9) You will have to pay or pay more to see pro events.

I came to the realization that maybe pools popularity is not a bad thing. A lot of complaints on here is that the payouts on tournaments are not big enough. Tournament payouts are based on three things 1) how much money is collected from the participants. 2) how many people are playing. 3) monies added by outside sources. Most pro tournaments end up with a full field and money is collected from the participants so the only thing left is money added. Money added is only a reality if the investors see a return like charging people to see the event or if they sell products. Have you ever tried to go see a professional golf event? BIG BUCKS!!!

Another reality is that currently the pros don't make enough money playing. True I feel sorry for them not making much money but really that is the profession that they chose. So they are not superstars with the general public and able to make money doing PR work like golfers or tennis players. I believe that is there own fault with the years of bickering and PR problems that they have had. They refuse to structure a touring schedule like poker or golf where some of the money collected goes towards future events thus generating more interest.

If things don't change will pool on TV go away? Will there be no more Pro events? Probably not. I would say that I am happy that I able to buy a nice cue for 200-300 bucks. Also I am glad that I can get a table generally when I want for around 2.50 an hour. And I am ecstatic that I can see the pro's play all day for 5 bucks.

So for me pool is popular "just enough"

JV

vapoolplayer
04-06-2005, 05:14 AM
5) I truely don't think there would be bigger purses in tournaments because the billiard industry already has money to devote to tournaments now and they are not rushing to spend it.

i think people overestimate how much money alot of the billiard industry makes, besides the APA, cuetec, and muecci, etc........the money drops quite a bit after those top names i would think.

Most pro tournaments end up with a full field

i have to disagree here, with the exception of the BCA open, and a few other 64 player events, the tournaments DO NOT fill up.

Also I am glad that I can get a table generally when I want for around 2.50 an hour. And I am ecstatic that I can see the pro's play all day for 5 bucks.

JV

for the general public, yes things may be suitable, but for the 2 percent of us who play for a living/aspire to play for a living, its terrible.

VAP

chefjeff
04-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Nice post, Johnny V. You've thought beyond the box.

Yes, prices might rise, temporarily. Then the market responds, as it always does and the supply increases, competition improves, and things smooth out again. However, then there are more halls, cues, etc. making players' choices better than they are now.

More players = more exposure = more money. If this equals to more spectators, too, yahoo!

Jeff Livingston

Jersey
04-06-2005, 08:03 AM
I don't see a problem with Pools popularity...go into almost any bar, tavern, D&B, Gillian's, 'Gentleman's Club', and low and behold, Pool Tables!
The problem is not the amount of people 'playing pool', the problem is the ineffective, abismal Marketing and Public Relations of Billiards in the US...if card players can be on ESPN gambling 12hrs a day, then where is Pool?...I like inexpensive equiptment and accomadations...In my opinion these options will always exist...in any most all consumer business' you have to make available an economy option...ie, generic, economy, budget etc...and Wal-Mart, Sears etc. already sell economy Billiard items...I think you're $$$ out lay for your liesure time, recreation, hobby or passion is directly related to your disposable income...got alot, you'll buy expensive equipment and seek nicer accomadations...got medium disposable income, you'll buy average equiptment and modest accomadations...on a budget you'll look for a deal and won't focus so much on quality...these levels of goods and services I think will aleays be available to pool players...

Jude Rosenstock
04-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I was thinking the other night while looking for a table to play on "How would WE as the general pool playing public benifit from pool being more popular?" Realistically lets look at potentially what would happen if there were a popularity boom.

1) The table manufacturers would make more money
2) Production Cue makers would make more money
3) There would be a pool section in Wal-Mart
4) There may be an additional time devoted on televising pool (which I already record around 7-10 hours a week on TIVO)
6) Table time prices will go up because of the demand (don't believe it just look at the price of concrete right now)
7) Being able to find an open table would be more difficult.
8) Cue prices would more than likely go up because of demand. Same with chalk, table accessories, etc.
9) You will have to pay or pay more to see pro events.

I came to the realization that maybe pools popularity is not a bad thing. A lot of complaints on here is that the payouts on tournaments are not big enough. Tournament payouts are based on three things 1) how much money is collected from the participants. 2) how many people are playing. 3) monies added by outside sources. Most pro tournaments end up with a full field and money is collected from the participants so the only thing left is money added. Money added is only a reality if the investors see a return like charging people to see the event or if they sell products. Have you ever tried to go see a professional golf event? BIG BUCKS!!!

Another reality is that currently the pros don't make enough money playing. True I feel sorry for them not making much money but really that is the profession that they chose. So they are not superstars with the general public and able to make money doing PR work like golfers or tennis players. I believe that is there own fault with the years of bickering and PR problems that they have had. They refuse to structure a touring schedule like poker or golf where some of the money collected goes towards future events thus generating more interest.

If things don't change will pool on TV go away? Will there be no more Pro events? Probably not. I would say that I am happy that I able to buy a nice cue for 200-300 bucks. Also I am glad that I can get a table generally when I want for around 2.50 an hour. And I am ecstatic that I can see the pro's play all day for 5 bucks.

JV

YEAH! Be happy with our pathetic, fading sport and quit *****ing! It could be worse. Pool could be like it was in the dreaded 90's! Those 300 tables within a mile from me was the worst thing for my youth!