PDA

View Full Version : Women's Regional Tours

Johnnyt
10-24-2008, 03:09 AM
I know the one in Texas doesn't let pros play. I believe it's called the OB-1 Tour now. It was the Hunter Tour. Are there any of the other tours that don't allow pros? Johnnyt

ironman
10-24-2008, 04:31 AM
I know the one in Texas doesn't let pros play. I believe it's called the OB-1 Tour now. It was the Hunter Tour. Are there any of the other tours that don't allow pros? Johnnyt

Melinda {aka Triggr} and her crew does an awsome job with this tour and has a very loyal following.

poolsnark
10-24-2008, 05:58 AM
The OB Cues tour lets pros play. Tiffany Nelson played and won the tour event at Magoo's in Oklahoma last July. The WPBA US Open was going on at the same time, so Tiffany, Melissa Little, Janet Atwell and Ramona Biddle all played in the OB event.

http://www.obcuestour.com/articles.php?name=article4thstop2008

sjm
10-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Many approaches over the years to this matter.

Some WPBA regional tour events bar Top-16 seeded WPBA pros from its events to the greatest extent possible, others bar all WPBA touring pros to the greatest extant possible. Any other player, regardless of WPBA participation, is eligible as a semi-pro for all events. Some tours, such as the Ladies Spirit Tour, allow everybody.

I believe that all WPBA pros are permitted to play in state championship events, regardless of each regional tour's policy.

Which tours allow pros today? Hopefully, other posters can handle that one.

Brklyn
10-24-2008, 08:28 AM
The touring pros are all welcome to play in the JP NEWT state championships and there was quite an impressive list that showed up at the NJ State tournament this past July (Karen, Julie, Helena, Monica, Tiffany, Liz Ford, Megan). For the most part, touring pros were not eligible to play in the qualifiers, but back in June, Tiffany came to a qualifier and played (took 2nd). There were some grumbles and groans from the players, but personally, I think it's a good thing. If an amateur wins a qualifier, who do you think they're going to be up against in a pro event? Right? I look at it as an opportunity to get a little more seasoning and to possible learn a thing or two. One of the girls was even nice enough to show me what I did wrong on a shot and for the most part, all were really very positive and encouraging. Yes, we may not win the first place money, but I think it's a worthwhile opportunity to learn and grow as a player and a competitor.

9balllvr
10-24-2008, 02:46 PM
The OB Cues tour lets pros play. Tiffany Nelson played and won the tour event at Magoo's in Oklahoma last July. The WPBA US Open was going on at the same time, so Tiffany, Melissa Little, Janet Atwell and Ramona Biddle all played in the OB event.

http://www.obcuestour.com/articles.php?name=article4thstop2008

the reason the tour allowed women at that event because it was a "state" championship - that is the only time they can play on the OB-1 and many others for that matter (such as the JPNEWT).

9balllvr
10-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Many approaches over the years to this matter.

Some WPBA regional tour events bar Top-16 seeded WPBA pros from its events to the greatest extent possible, others bar all WPBA touring pros to the greatest extant possible. Any other player, regardless of WPBA participation, is eligible as a semi-pro for all events. Some tours, such as the Ladies Spirit Tour, allow everybody.

I believe that all WPBA pros are permitted to play in state championship events, regardless of each regional tour's policy.

Which tours allow pros today? Hopefully, other posters can handle that one.

Ladies Spirit Tour allows pros, not sure about any others. Tiger Planet Pool may (for some reason my brain is having a blockage at the moment).

sjm
10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
The debate over whether pros should be allowed to play in regional tour events is a longstanding one in women's pool.

Here's my slant on it.

Advantages
1) It enables women pro players to supplement their income from the WPBA, making it easier for a pro player to make ends meet, ultimately meaning that more players can make a living by playing women's professional pool.
2) It better prepares pro aspirants with enough game to win qualifying spots for the competition they will face at the next level of play, ultimately enhancing the quality of play at WPBA level.
3) It adds to the quality of the regional tour event for fans in attendance.

Disadvantages
1) It makes it harder for aspiring pros to make ends meet financially. Semi-pros may, therefore, not stay the course in chasing their dreams.
2) It increases the "luck of the draw" factor in qualifiers.
3) Increased danger of aspiring pros getting discouraged and giving up pro aspirations.

I've always felt that the advantages of permitting pro participation in regional events outweigh the disadvantages, but I do see both sides of the argument, and have great respect for those on both sides of the debate.

Johnnyt
10-24-2008, 03:49 PM
The debate over whether pros should be allowed to play in regional tour events is a longstanding one in women's pool.

Here's my slant on it.

Advantages
1) It enables women pro players to supplement their income from the WPBA, making it easier for a pro player to make ends meet, ultimately meaning that more players can make a living by playing women's professional pool.
2) It better prepares pro aspirants with enough game to win qualifying spots for the competition they will face at the next level of play, ultimately enhancing the quality of play at WPBA level.
3) It adds to the quality of the regional tour event for fans in attendance.

Disadvantages
1) It makes it harder for aspiring pros to make ends meet financially. Semi-pros may, therefore, not stay the course in chasing their dreams.
2) It increases the "luck of the draw" factor in qualifiers.
3) Increased danger of aspiring pros getting discouraged and giving up pro aspirations.

I've always felt that the advantages of permitting pro participation in regional events outweigh the disadvantages, but I do see both sides of the argument, and have great respect for those on both sides of the debate.

This is by far the best slant on it I have seen wrote. However I feel the pros shouldn't be able to play on the regionals. A) The pro almost always takes the big money. (Look at FL Spirit Tour for the last 5 years. The pro has it's own tour...the WPBA.

B) The draw becomes too much of a factor for who gets the qualifier.

C)If you want play a pro, go to almost any large poolroom and you can play cheap sets with a pro to see how you match up with them. You might even get a spot and a real chance to win. Johnnyt