PDA

View Full Version : Pool Lessons

ftgokie
10-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Ok, I am wanting some good lessons...I quit playing pool back in 1994ish and just picked up a cue in June of this year...Before...I played about 9 speed.....age (im 40) and my military disabilities have hurt me on playing pool and I need a good instructor. Buddy Hall is just up the road from me...but does anyone have any suggestions on who would be a great instructor..

I would be willing to pay for their travel here....they can either stay here at my house (plenty of room) and I would provide them transportation while they are here also. Or I will pay for them to stay at a Holiday Inn and provide them with transportation also. I will also pay them for the lessons. I am wanting someone to give me lessons for about 1-2weeks..depends on them. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I want this person to come to me, not me travel to them. Thanks everyone....Shawn Smith

poolplayer2093
10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Try Scott lee. a lot of members here have taken lessons from him and have a lot of good things to say about him. he travels a lot giving lessons to people who want them. he posts here under the name scott lee

what's a 9 speed?

ftgokie
10-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Try Scott lee. a lot of members here have taken lessons from him and have a lot of good things to say about him. he travels a lot giving lessons to people who want them. he posts here under the name scott lee

what's a 9 speed?

Thanks..

Here, we are rated from 4-10 with 10 being Pro I know when I first started playing when I was stationed at Ft Benning Ga back in 1991, they rated you as A,B,C like that...I was new to pool back then so I never gave it a second thought

metallicane
10-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Scott Lee is great. A very nice guy and very easy to understand. I went to Miami so you know how important that is for me:wink: . He travels too so may be in your area sometime soon. I would contact him.

bfdlad
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Ok, I am wanting some good lessons...I quit playing pool back in 1994ish and just picked up a cue in June of this year...Before...I played about 9 speed.....age (im 40) and my military disabilities have hurt me on playing pool and I need a good instructor. Buddy Hall is just up the road from me...but does anyone have any suggestions on who would be a great instructor..

I would be willing to pay for their travel here....they can either stay here at my house (plenty of room) and I would provide them transportation while they are here also. Or I will pay for them to stay at a Holiday Inn and provide them with transportation also. I will also pay them for the lessons. I am wanting someone to give me lessons for about 1-2weeks..depends on them. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I want this person to come to me, not me travel to them. Thanks everyone....Shawn Smith
PM sent, I may have an idea you may be interested in,

iowa_player
10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Do yourself a big favor and contact "Little" Joe Villalpando
Im not sure if he can or if he does travel but he is a great teacher
and has a few DVD's that are just awesome . You can find the DVD's
and his contact info from his website. http://www.pooliq.net/index.htm

Here is a thread I started about Joe .
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=117442

Good luck hope this helps !

Larry

ftgokie
10-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys so far for your help. As I stated before...whoever does this would have to come to me. I would pay all expenses. If I am going to do this though..I want someone who is known to be a good teacher.

bfdlad..I will pm you later...I want to discuss your offer...

randyg
10-24-2008, 01:26 PM

Thanks, randyg

poolplayer2093
10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys so far for your help. As I stated before...whoever does this would have to come to me. I would pay all expenses. If I am going to do this though..I want someone who is known to be a good teacher.

bfdlad..I will pm you later...I want to discuss your offer...

i'm sure scott lee wouldn't have a problem making his way to you. he came to me when i took a lesson from him. for the information you get i'd say it's a fair price too.

i critisized the lesson and i don't think too much about lessons but i'venoticed when i do hit a gear i find myself doing a lot of the things that we covered together.

The King
10-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Scott Lee was just at my house Tuesday and I just posted a thread on the lessons we went over ... I would highly recommend him ... Here is a link to my post on him ... It's kind of long though but if your interested ...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=117970

pooltchr
10-24-2008, 05:44 PM
RandyG or Scott Lee...two of the best!
Steve

cyrex
10-24-2008, 05:48 PM
No way are you 40!

I did basic at Ft. Benning. Hells Kitchen.

JoeyA
10-24-2008, 06:04 PM

You could check with Stan Shuffett. He is of the highest caliber teacher and player. You won't be disappointed in him.
http://www.justcueit.com/

JoeyA

misterpoole
10-24-2008, 06:54 PM
There is a very good instructor that comes through Tulsa twice a year. In fall he is heading to Arizona from up north. I forget his name but Jim McD at Magoo's knows him very well.

ftgokie
10-24-2008, 07:50 PM
No way are you 40!

I did basic at Ft. Benning. Hells Kitchen.

Yes, I am 40 and I went to Basic at Ft Benning, "Harmony Church" in Oct 1986. Then went to Germany for 2 yrs, then back to Bening for airborne and Ranger school...then to 197th Inf Bde on Kelly Hill at Ft Benning. Deployed to Desert Shield/Storm...then PCS'd to B. Co. 3/75th Inf "Ranger" at Ft Benning...then went to Somalia, Operatin Gothic Serpant...came back.... was a DI at Sand Hill at Ft Benning for 2 yrs...got out of the Army...then went back in and went to Ft Wainwright Alaska..although I dont feel 40...I am

I learned to play pool in Columbus Ga in a small pool hall just outside Baker Village I believe off N Lumpkin Road..and a small pool room down by the bust station...I remember they had the BEST chili dogs....anyways....yea, im 40.....

ftgokie
10-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Buddy Hall is in Tulsa at Magoos....does anyone think he would be a good instructor? I know he is a top notch player...but not everyone is a good instructor..and I am in NO WAY saying anything bad about Buddy...he has been a great guy every time I have met him...

cyrex
10-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Don't know why I was thinking Hells Kitchen.. maybe because it actually was like being in hells kitchen! Harmony Church!! That's right.

And.. I was also there in 86! Graduated in October! There was a girl supply sergeant. Hawaiin or something like that. I cannot remember my drill sergeants names but one was a big black guy and one was a tiny little white guy. We had a white rock garden. And a bada$$ ex-ranger pastor that was super inspirational.

ftgokie
10-24-2008, 08:25 PM
I was in B Co 4/2 right next to Ranger Regt. I got to basic in Oct 86 graduated AIT in Feb 87. I spent 12 yrs in and was medically discharged...fell out of a Blackhawk at 60'...and about broke my back....I was a E-6(P) when I got out.

And I was wondering...WTF is Hells Kitchen.....but yea...I can see where you would get that kunfyoosed..lol

cyrex
10-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I stayed a plane ol' 11B -Spec 4. Went to Ft. Carson, Co. 1/10th Inf-4th Battalion. Stayed in the same unit but we traveled quite a bit. Germany (REFORGER), Death Valley (NTC), that kind of stuff. It was definitely a blast. A lot of hard work.. but some of the best times of my life.
Sorry to hear you got hurt... I'm sure that was tough to take being so motivated as you obviously are. Your brain so go go go but your body just ain't having none of it. Glad you're better.

For what it's worth.. I think you'd be hard pressed to find better instructor than Buddy. He is the epitome of proper fundamentals.

ftgokie
10-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I stayed a plane ol' 11B -Spec 4. Went to Ft. Carson, Co. 1/10th Inf-4th Battalion. Stayed in the same unit but we traveled quite a bit. Germany (REFORGER), Death Valley (NTC), that kind of stuff. It was definitely a blast. A lot of hard work.. but some of the best times of my life.
Sorry to hear you got hurt... I'm sure that was tough to take being so motivated as you obviously are. Your brain so go go go but your body just ain't having none of it. Glad you're better.

For what it's worth.. I think you'd be hard pressed to find better instructor than Buddy. He is the epitome of proper fundamentals.

Yea...it was tough dealing with getting hurt and having to get out...I was pretty depressed for quite some time.. Now I am a Veterans Couselor at the VA Regional Office...love helping Veterans....thats what drives me now.

Yep...I did Reforger 1x, NTC 12x, JRTC 10x, Cobra Gold in Thailand 4x, Bright Star in Egypt, Team Spirit in Korea 2x, trained with the British SAS 4x, German KSK, Trained with Navy Seal Team 2, and trained pretty regularly with Delta and Green Berets....I absolutely loved my job in the Army..wouldnt trade it for anything in the world...I think everyone should at least experience it.

Joe T
10-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Not looking for the teaching job but had to post as I too was at Benning in 86, went thru Harmony Church in 84 AND started playing pool while I was there. Small world.
All teachers recommended will do you right but I would try Buddy while he's close to you, could be a chance of a lifetime.

cyrex
10-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I think everyone should at least experience it.

Couldn't agree more. I think basic training at least should be mandatory. It is such a confidence builder. Teaches the value of respect and being part of a team. Plus, for the rest of your life you will have a freaky drive to make your bed first thing in the morning!

Razorback Randy
10-24-2008, 09:28 PM
You could check with Stan Shuffett. He is of the highest caliber teacher and player. You won't be disappointed in him.
http://www.justcueit.com/

JoeyA

I just took lessons from Stan last weekend. He is awesome!!!