PDA

View Full Version : Ever have this move pulled on you?

Luxury
10-24-2008, 03:01 PM
http://CueTable.com/P/?@2BGBn1EMui3HVGu3KYBW4OYRj3PYIB@

I'm playing this guy a race to 7 eight ball for $100 after I beat him in the league match. We agree to play league rules. I'm ahead 5-4 and I've been planning to make a diabolical safe a few shots ahead. I'm stripes and I plan on calling safe and making the 11 ball and marry up next to the eight ball in hopes of getting ball in hand. (In our league and others it is common to call safe and even though you make a ball your opponent now has to shoot.)

Just to make sure he hears me I turn my head to him and loudly yell, "Safe!" I hook him big time and make my ball so now it's his shot. He is a car salesman and a good actor and looks at me confused and says, "It's your shot." Yes that's right. He pretends that he didn't hear me. Everyone watching explodes that they all heard me say it but he doesn't care he didn't hear me even though he was the closest one to me. He says, "You have to make sure I nod in agreement. Did I nod?" We argue for a while and I finally say, "You know what? You are right. You got me on a technicality and I just learned something and I will now shoot. But for the record, I know you heard me."

"No I really didn't!"

"Listen I'm going to kick at my ball now but I'm positive you heard me."

I miss my kick shot and he gets out easily. Next game he gets on the hill and I feel sick. I win the next game and it's hill hill now. I crush the rack and make the 8 on the snap for the win and snatch the $200 off the light.

I bought him and 3 of my friends a shot and we never spoke of the safety shot again. However I will never play him for money again.

asiasdad
10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
He had to do that to you, because he can't sell any cars
right now.

You should go play Krbsailing, he sells beer at his bar in
Bremerton and beer always sells good during a depression.

jmo

poolplayer2093
10-24-2008, 03:08 PM
making the 8 on the break counts as a win?

congrats on the win. you gotta watch stuff like that. i've had similar stuff pulled on me.

you should have waited until he pocked a ball leaving you a shot on the 8 and scream that he didn't call that shot

alstl
10-24-2008, 03:13 PM
That's pretty bad, but I think I would have rolled the 11 off the second diamond and left it near the pocket to make sure I had a shot after he kicked at his ball.

Glad it worked out for you and you took down the cash.

asn130
10-24-2008, 04:30 PM
making the 8 on the break counts as a win?

congrats on the win. you gotta watch stuff like that. i've had similar stuff pulled on me.

you should have waited until he pocked a ball leaving you a shot on the 8 and scream that he didn't call that shot

that's what i'd have done.

hangemhigh
10-24-2008, 04:35 PM
You could have banked the 15 cross side. You make it ,you are out, you miss it is an automatic safety. Just sayin'.

TXsouthpaw
10-24-2008, 05:01 PM
You bought him a shot? whats with that. U shouldve taken the cash and bought everyone BUT him a shot. Nothin better than buying a round on someone elses money :)

Cuebacca
10-24-2008, 05:21 PM
You bought him a shot? whats with that. U shouldve taken the cash and bought everyone BUT him a shot. Nothin better than buying a round on someone elses money :)

Yeah, or bought him a shot and then as you're about to hand it to him, yell, "Psych!" and take it yourself. :thumbup:

BigDaddyInc.
10-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Well i have never agreed with this particular rule. You can call safe and shoot the ball dead in the hole! To me it's a form of dirty pool. But that's niether here nore there. If i felt i must play safe in this situation i would have just nudged the ball cut it toward the left cue ball hits the rail and falls behind the eight and he has to shoot it from there.

chefjeff
10-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Well i have never agreed with this particular rule. You can call safe and shoot the ball dead in the hole! To me it's a form of dirty pool. But that's niether here nore there. If i felt i must play safe in this situation i would have just nudged the ball cut it toward the left cue ball hits the rail and falls behind the eight and he has to shoot it from there.

OK then, he could just call the 11 in the side, "miss" it. "Oops, it accidently went into the corner...by mistake....your shot." Making the rule as you'd like it simply makes lying part of the game. Where's the advantage in that?

Jeff Livingston

dabarbr
10-24-2008, 06:49 PM
You did nothing wrong by pocketing your ball and calling safe.
However anytime I have been in game like this that meant something I would make sure to make eye contact with my opponent.
Some people just point to the pocket with their finger or cue stick. This is not good enough in a worthwhile game. He may be looking in another direction or just claim that he didn't see you call the pocket.

Sometimes in a call pocket game to avoid any confusion I would call an unlikely pocket, shoot it straight in and call safe.

alstl
10-24-2008, 06:51 PM

It sounds stupid but I was in a league once with the same rule.

mullyman
10-24-2008, 06:52 PM

Why is it dirty? Also, in my opinion, if you call safe and shoot a ball into the pocket then that ball should be spotted, like in 14.1. I'll agree that the person shouldn't get an advantage on ball count by calling safe and shooting his ball in. It should come up.
MULLY

BigDaddyInc.
10-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Why is it dirty? Also, in my opinion, if you call safe and shoot a ball into the pocket then that ball should be spotted, like in 14.1. I'll agree that the person shouldn't get an advantage on ball count by calling safe and shooting his ball in. It should come up.
MULLY
Ok yeah, i'll agree with that i think it would not bother me as much if the ball spotted after they made it. I think that them getting credit for the pocketed ball is what really gets to me.

Luxury
10-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the responses on my story. Just a couple of things. My opponent used to be the Captain of my pool team and taught me a ton about the game. Hence giving him a shot after the dust cleared.

Another thing: Marrying up to the 8 ball was the most important aspect of the shot for me. I knew if rolled the 11 near the corner pocket that it would be nicer to have that ball near the corner but it would have decreased the chances of marrying up next to the 8. If you just roll the cue ball a few inches past the 8 my opponent was a FAVORITE to make a 1 or 2 rail kick using the side rail. By shooting the 11 dead into the pocket at medium speed it was a piece of cake to put the cue next to the eight where my opponent would have to kick at the end rail jacked up over the 8 where I was a huge favorite to get ball in hand and shoot the 15 in the bottom left corner and roll the cue forward to shoot the 8 in the side.

These were the thoughts that went through my mind at the time. I know that shooting the 15 cross side would have never entered my mind because after the potential miss there was a good chance he would not be hooked and he could then play a brutal safe on me rolling the cue off the 2 and hiding behind the 5.

Pii
10-25-2008, 07:13 AM
MULLY

Wasn't this a coin op bar table?

chefjeff
10-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Wasn't this a coin op bar table?

Not only that problem, but what difference would it make anyway?

He played by the rules and (should have) won with the safety. Why add any layer of complication to that? What advantage is there to mucking up the game?

As to him not hearing the clear call, tough! Pay attention or pay opponent! Others heard it clearly. I'd have not given him the additional chance to win....he blew it when he obviously lied about not hearing the call.

Think of what the liar did to his reputation...and for what? A lousy C note? Bad trade, imho. And he didn't even get that!

Jeff Livingston

cubswin
10-25-2008, 08:58 AM
I'd still be there arguing....

ratnip
10-25-2008, 09:41 AM
I didn't nod...bla bla bla

Well I just hope that he is still NOT your team captain :eek: .

And I think your dead wrong to continue shooting, be assertive! You could just as easily been on here crying about losing the $100 for some B.S. move a guy pulled on you.

Also if he was/is your team captain he was just trying to teach you another lesson :rolleyes: . IMO he was taking advantage of your personality and your pre-existing relationship. Hopefully you learned a great lesson from this one.

JP

akaTrigger
10-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I feel your pain, Luxury, I think it happens quite a bit unfortunately. :(

It's happened to me a couple of times, including the all allusive, "I didn't hear you say I was on two."

Whatever. F'in *****es. LOL.

satman
10-25-2008, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE

These were the thoughts that went through my mind at the time. I know that shooting the 15 cross side would have never entered my mind because after the potential miss there was a good chance he would not be hooked and he could then play a brutal safe on me rolling the cue off the 2 and hiding behind the 5.[/QUOTE]

He would have a shot at getting out. If you shoot the bank at the proper speed to have a good chance to make it, the cue ball goes 3 rails and comes out past the 8, leaving a cut into the corner. {plus, if you make the bank, chances are you have no shot at your last ball} You shot the proper shot, and the guy attempted to cheat you,{in my opinion} but you still managed to pull it out. If he did indeed try to pull a fast one on you, he'll pay for it over and over. I probly wouldn't have bought him a drink afterwards, especially if I never intended to gamble with him again.

mullyman
10-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Not only that problem, but what difference would it make anyway?

He played by the rules and (should have) won with the safety. Why add any layer of complication to that? What advantage is there to mucking up the game?
Jeff Livingston

What difference does it make? If you're calling safe you shouldn't be allowed to gain an advantage in your ball count. Granted, if you only have 2 balls left on the table you're pretty much guaranteed to get out when you get ball in hand, but what if there is a ball near the spot that could screw that up for you? Sorry, I'll have to disagree with that rule. The ball should be spotted if you call safe. But, as someone pointed out, it was a coin table. If that's the case then not spotting the ball is unavoidable.
MULLY
and I'm not calling out the original poster. I'm talking about the rules only.

bfdlad
10-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the responses on my story. Just a couple of things. My opponent used to be the Captain of my pool team and taught me a ton about the game. Hence giving him a shot after the dust cleared.

Another thing: Marrying up to the 8 ball was the most important aspect of the shot for me. I knew if rolled the 11 near the corner pocket that it would be nicer to have that ball near the corner but it would have decreased the chances of marrying up next to the 8. If you just roll the cue ball a few inches past the 8 my opponent was a FAVORITE to make a 1 or 2 rail kick using the side rail. By shooting the 11 dead into the pocket at medium speed it was a piece of cake to put the cue next to the eight where my opponent would have to kick at the end rail jacked up over the 8 where I was a huge favorite to get ball in hand and shoot the 15 in the bottom left corner and roll the cue forward to shoot the 8 in the side.

These were the thoughts that went through my mind at the time. I know that shooting the 15 cross side would have never entered my mind because after the potential miss there was a good chance he would not be hooked and he could then play a brutal safe on me rolling the cue off the 2 and hiding behind the 5.
I have seen you play and the last thing you need to be doing is giving anything up at all. Oh you to TX Southpaw. :)

poolplayer2093
10-25-2008, 03:57 PM
What difference does it make? If you're calling safe you shouldn't be allowed to gain an advantage in your ball count. Granted, if you only have 2 balls left on the table you're pretty much guaranteed to get out when you get ball in hand, but what if there is a ball near the spot that could screw that up for you? Sorry, I'll have to disagree with that rule. The ball should be spotted if you call safe. But, as someone pointed out, it was a coin table. If that's the case then not spotting the ball is unavoidable.
MULLY
and I'm not calling out the original poster. I'm talking about the rules only.

no way man. being able to call in and safe is a good rule. it adds to the strategy part of the game. i've played it like this on non coin op tables a few times

ftgokie
10-25-2008, 04:04 PM
I would have never played safe.:confused: ..thats just 2 easy of an out

ccshrimper
10-25-2008, 04:16 PM
After he said he didn't hear me I would have told him I called it in the other pocket, his turn... If he's going to lie to win my money, I'll lie better :-)

poolplayer2093
10-25-2008, 04:42 PM
the out's not that easy! if the other guy had let the safety play out then the luxury would have had the game in the bag guaranteed

snowmon34
10-25-2008, 05:21 PM
He had to do that to you, because he can't sell any cars
right now.

You should go play Krbsailing, he sells beer at his bar in
Bremerton and beer always sells good during a depression.

jmo

lol.....are you back running paper yet? :smile:

ftgokie
10-25-2008, 07:55 PM
no way man. being able to call in and safe is a good rule. it adds to the strategy part of the game. i've played it like this on non coin op tables a few times

Everyone is different, but for me, I would have never played safe...if U did play safe and he had to kick, say he got a lucky hit on the 5 ball, did not make it then rolled behind the 2 for a safe on u...then where are u....That particular layout would be just 2 easy..id run 11ball down with some high left english, leaving a slight angle on 15..run 15 to bottom right corner....or if you hit cue hard enough, run 15 in lower left corner with slight high right english...shot in either side or depending how hard you hit the cue ...top left corner or top right corner.....

Only reason I wouldnt play safe is my percentage of making the balls are alot higher..as opposed to playing safe and opponent getting a lucky roll and snookering me...then me have to pull something out of my arse....but thats just me

ftgokie
10-25-2008, 07:57 PM
After he said he didn't hear me I would have told him I called it in the other pocket, his turn... If he's going to lie to win my money, I'll lie better :-)

Holy crap...now thats good....OOps....my bad...I called the OTHER pocket....YOUR TURN!:thumbup:

tigerseye
10-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Well at least he posted up.... =)

"T"
10-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Still won, that's good!

You snapped in the eight for the win, but also allowed called safes if one of your balls went in? You probably weren't playing APA league rules, but just out of curiousity, what league rules were you using?

I know this is beside the point.

Congrats on the win!

burns420
10-25-2008, 09:03 PM

exactly. or call some other pocket, and shoot it in the one you did and hook him. unless flukes count, then youre screwed.

Luxury
10-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Still won, that's good!

You snapped in the eight for the win, but also allowed called safes if one of your balls went in? You probably weren't playing APA league rules, but just out of curiousity, what league rules were you using?

I know this is beside the point.

Congrats on the win!

We were playing TAP league rules. I've played in that league for 5 years and my opponent many many more and those are definitely the correct rules.

Luxury
10-25-2008, 11:02 PM
Everyone is different, but for me, I would have never played safe...if U did play safe and he had to kick, say he got a lucky hit on the 5 ball, did not make it then rolled behind the 2 for a safe on u...then where are u....That particular layout would be just 2 easy..id run 11ball down with some high left english, leaving a slight angle on 15..run 15 to bottom right corner....or if you hit cue hard enough, run 15 in lower left corner with slight high right english...shot in either side or depending how hard you hit the cue ...top left corner or top right corner.....

Only reason I wouldnt play safe is my percentage of making the balls are alot higher..as opposed to playing safe and opponent getting a lucky roll and snookering me...then me have to pull something out of my arse....but thats just me

I'm sure you are better than me but I would bet a lot of money if you wanted 20 tries playing stripes offensively the ways you have described with me playing solids vs my 20 tries playing the way I did as stripes and you solids. That is the way I have settled debates on shot selection in the past. Anyone else ever do this?

poolplayer2093
10-25-2008, 11:04 PM

i was thinking to just pocket the ball and stun the cue ball out and then bank the last ball cross side. i'd try to run it out too. i don't see the need to play safe there but hay if he lays it down strong enough the safe is just as good as the run out

SUPERSTAR
10-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Lets see.

If he pulled the move, and at any time while you were accepting the fact that he didn't hear you, and you caught him smirking or smiling, or looking like he was all superior by folding his arms in triumph, you should have taken your break cue and beat the ever living crap out of him all up and down the establishment.

At the end of the beating, you should have leaned over and asked him, "do you hear me NOW?"
When he said yes, you should have asked him if he was ever going to try and pull such a move ever again, and when he said no, you should have said, THAT'S RIGHT!!!" and you take the coconut custard pie (that just magically appeared in you hand at that moment) and smashed him in the face with it.

After piing him, you bust out the camera, and stand over him with your pool cue, and foot over his torso, like a hunter standing over his kill, and have your picture taken.

You then go home.

After getting home, you download the picture you had taken, and print out the picture, frame it, and hang it on the wall, with other pictured of idiot pool players you have taught lessons to, and fold your arms, and smile that triumphant smile of a job well done.

dabarbr
10-26-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm sure you are better than me but I would bet a lot of money if you wanted 20 tries playing stripes offensively the ways you have described with me playing solids vs my 20 tries playing the way I did as stripes and you solids. That is the way I have settled debates on shot selection in the past. Anyone else ever do this?
IMO in the 20 tries the safe has the higher percentage compared to the run out. And the closer you can nudge the cue ball to the eight ball the percentages increase.