PDA

View Full Version : UPA, TOURNAMENT DIRECTORS, Format for Pro Pool and Amatuer Pool tours to coincide

vapoolplayer
04-06-2005, 05:50 AM
i've been thinking about all of the scheduling problems that have been discussed in a few threads, and i've come up with somewhat of a solution. of course it would take all of the pro tour, pro-am tour, and amatuer tour directors in the same room to make this happen.

it would be almost like the baseball farm system, always creating new players at all levels.

the lowest tier would be your AMATUER tours, the fury tour for example, is growing rapidly all over the country. only amatuers would be allowed to play. this would be the QUALIFYING stage for the PRO-AM events. you would have to archieve so many points to be able to play on the JOSS tour, Planet Pool tour, VIKING tour.........etc.

the middle tier would be the PRO-AM events..........joss, planet pool, viking, etc.......these would be the qualifiers for the UPA tour (which would get its act together and would include things like the DCC and US OPEN, which would be special events open to ALL, and would NOT be points tourneys) pro players CAN play in these events, but AMATUERS WOULD HAVE to attain so many points before being able to move onto the pro tournaments that INCLUDE RANKING POINTS.

the highest tier would be the UPA PRO TOUR.........this would include all the tour stops now, plus the ones that aren't currently sponsored by the UPA............there would be a few tourney's (us open, DCC, etc) that ANYONE could enter, but these WOULD NOT count towards ranking points.

i know this would take alot of work, but it doesn't seem that hard, if you had ALL of the tournament directors on a TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR BOARD, the schedule should be able to be worked out.

this would provide a farm system to develop more pro players. also this would show SPONSORS that pool has its shit together and is worthy of money.

PLEASE ANYONE WHO THIS PERTAINS TO PLEASE READ AND COMMENT ON THIS. I"LL HELP IN ANYWAY POSSIBLE, EVEN IF I HAVE TO TAKE MY OWN TIME TO SIT ON THE PHONE WITH ANYONE THAT THIS WOULD INCLUDE.

THANKS

VAP

KBP
04-06-2005, 05:56 AM
I think that would be great.... I have had to cancel some of my events beccause someone booked on top of me and I've had my schedule out since Dec 2004 for the 2005 season. I have tried to work around others but they don't want to work with me. I look at every schedule that I can get to and sent emails out in Sept and Oct to get all the info I can but most of the time they don't worry about the Fury Amaterus because and I quote "they are just ball bangers". That's why I have such problems is because I am trying to promote this and they don't care. Anything would be better than me having to cancel a $500 addded event because someone booked a $3400 added event right down the road which was not listed when we set our schedule. I am sorry I am venting . If you come up with something that will work please let me know and if you can get the other tours to work with it.
Kay

PS. Thanks for recognizing the Fury Tour.....I try really hard to keep it growing and promote the game.

Joe T
04-06-2005, 06:29 AM
Yes this would be a nice step in the right direction. Mike Janis of the Viking Tour is working towards something like this and hopefully we'll hear back from him after his visit to the BCA trade show and maybe he'll tell us how we can help.

MikeJanis
04-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Yes this would be a nice step in the right direction. Mike Janis of the Viking Tour is working towards something like this and hopefully we'll hear back from him after his visit to the BCA trade show and maybe he'll tell us how we can help.

Joe, I promise that as soon as I get back from the BCA trade show I will open the New Unified Tour System up for public discussion.

It's the N.U.T.S. !

Mj

Joe, if you have any immediate input regarding the info please call me at your earliest convenience. 800-200-POOL

Timberly
04-06-2005, 10:53 AM
It's the N.U.T.S. !
I love it!! Best of luck to you out there this weekend. I'm looking forward to hearing what happens.

(BTW, that was a mean April Fool's joke you played on your buddy) :D

JAM
04-06-2005, 11:21 AM
MJ,

Good Luck. But isn't true most of the local tours are sponsored by cue sales companies? Should be a piece of cake but I won't hold my breath for cue salesman. LOL

"Gremlin" ;)

The Planet-Pool 9-Ball Tour, formerly the Falcon Cue Tour -- at that time sponsored by a "cue sales company" -- is NOW a success story.

Because of Falcon downsizing, only one year of sponsoring this tour, they withdrew their funding. Nobody wanted to see this tour end, especially the regular players. So, instead of rolling over and playing dead, the powers-that-be went to work and managed to produce a tour, with a whole season of scheduled events published in advance.

Thankfully, because of the kind sponsorship of many "cue salesmen," to include cue-makers and MANY other sponsors from all walks of pool life, the tour continues to get better and better each season.

It's a good example of what folks can do collectively to make things happen for the better.

Of course, the folks who keep it going strong is the PP 9-Ball Tour staff, and because of their hard work, dedication, many weekends on the road, the tour is quite popular.

JAM

JAM
04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
JAM,

Would you classify the PP 9-Ball Tour a pro or amateur tour?

"Gremlin"

Gremlin, I would consider the PP 9-Ball Tour as a regional tour which is open to players of all caliber, to include amateur, social shooters, aspiring players, and pros. It is weekend events like these which many professional players -- people who only play pool for a living, i.e., "profession" -- enjoy competing in. Ask UPA Touring Pro Mike Davis. :)

JAM

MikeJanis
04-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Hey guys and gals, please look on AZ tonight for an exclusive interview I gave to Mike Howerton today. All of the information we currently have will be released about the N.U.T.S. in this interview.

For anyone that already has this information please do not post it in the forum. The article with Mike at AZ will include a pdf with all the information.

After AZMike releases the interview please discuss the subject as much as possible. We are always looking to improve on the structure of the N.U.T.S..

Thanks,

Mj

frankncali
04-06-2005, 12:59 PM
It seems most people want the US Open and the DCC to conform and
be sponsored under the UPA. WHY?
Would all events have to be under the UPA(or another group)?

It just seems like if they wanted to have the DCC non-affilated then only the
top Pro that are members with the organization would not be allowed to play.
Or you give each member two "leeways" per year.
They play the Tour and only "UPA" events other than 2 per year. Would that
kill the Tour no. The DCC especially is a different style event. It would be hard to have as an "UPA" event. That may be an event to call an open players event. No points No tour no affiliation just a bunch of days of
nine-ball, banks, one-pocket and a "little" action.

Superstroke
04-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Clearly, i can understand the UPA intentions of guaranteed money. Former promoters, as well as current ones have been guilty of defaulting on the cash.

So with that in mind, i can understand any hesitation in regards to Berman.

The DCC however doesn not fall in that category.
Has anyone ever been stiffed at the DCC by the people promoting the event?

So why would they ever want to sanction with the UPA.
Plus how would that work.

UPA top pros don't even get entered into the draw till say the 5th round?

Cause they can't be seeded, so what difference does it make.
You think that if the UPA told Efren not to show up to the DCC, that he's actually going to listen?
He'd laugh in their face, and show up anyway. He's not going to mosconi cup, and he doesn't care.

It's only the american UPA members that they have any control over.
As much fun as those Planet Pool events are.....how do you think MIKE DAVIS or KEITH would feel if the UPA said that they aren't allowed to play, cause the UPA isn't involved.

I mean, at the rate it's going now, this scenario isn't far off.

Superstroke