PDA

View Full Version : Following balls in.

Cuebuddy
10-24-2008, 04:47 PM
I use this method of making a shot all the time. When their ball is hanging in front of a pocket and I make theirs with the ob and follow it in. I never see anyone else try it accept my friends. And of course you never see a pro do it they probably don't need to. There is an art to it but it can work up to about 6 inch's away. Is the shot not acceptable or just rare?:confused:

JamisonNeu
10-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Nothing at all wrong with shooting that shot. It's a great shot to know and everyone of the pro's you have watched has worked on it.

Snookerd
10-24-2008, 04:57 PM
The only time this shot will come up normally is playing 8 ball... that is why you dont see pros do it( because when you see pros play they are not normally playing 8 ball). And you can do it from farther away than 6 inches, the OB just must be in a forward roll and straight through the center of the balls that are to be pocketed unless the ball you are going "through" is in the jaws. it just gets harder to hit it straight when farther away.

Cuebuddy
10-24-2008, 05:15 PM
The only time this shot will come up normally is playing 8 ball... that is why you dont see pros do it( because when you see pros play they are not normally playing 8 ball). And you can do it from farther away than 6 inches, the OB just must be in a forward roll and straight through the center of the balls that are to be pocketed unless the ball you are going "through" is in the jaws. it just gets harder to hit it straight when farther away.
You are correct on the pros and eight ball but I never see it at any level and the controversy its caused in some of my games borders on insane. Many players think it is a foul. As far as more then 6 inch's away that is more of my personal limit, beyond that range the percentage of times I make it dose not justify the attempt.

Snookerd
10-24-2008, 05:35 PM
You are correct on the pros and eight ball but I never see it at any level and the controversy its caused in some of my games borders on insane. Many players think it is a foul. As far as more then 6 inch's away that is more of my personal limit, beyond that range the percentage of times I make it dose not justify the attempt.

If you are playing with league players at least 1 person on the team should know its not a foul... and if it causes controversy.. just call it off their ball.. ;) when you call it off their ball and they laugh thinking there is no chance.. and you drop both .. all you have to say is " Hey... it hit your ball then dropped :eek:

Cuebuddy
10-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Thats how it usually works and I wish I had a league. The nearest league from me is 100 miles away:mad: If I sound a little bitter its because I have never had the chance to compete in one and I am jealous.:o

Snookerd
10-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Thats how it usually works and I wish I had a league. The nearest league from me is 100 miles away:mad: If I sound a little bitter its because I have never had the chance to compete in one and I am jealous.:o

Where abouts in Colorado you at?

JB Cases
10-24-2008, 07:04 PM
I use this method of making a shot all the time. When their ball is hanging in front of a pocket and I make theirs with the ob and follow it in. I never see anyone else try it accept my friends. And of course you never see a pro do it they probably don't need to. There is an art to it but it can work up to about 6 inch's away. Is the shot not acceptable or just rare?:confused:

It's rare to see the shot come up but it does and all the pros know how to do it if the need to. I once won an important game in a league match with this shot - I was on the 8.

If you are playing by civilized rules then your opponents should know that it's not a foul.

dabarbr
10-24-2008, 07:05 PM
This is not an unusual shot in eight ball, I play this shot very often. It does get considerably more difficult when the first ball is farther from the pocket. The hit must be more precise and draw on the cue ball is required.

mantis99
10-24-2008, 07:28 PM
I thought it was illegal to pocket your opponents ball before yours??

dabarbr
10-24-2008, 08:08 PM
I thought it was illegal to pocket your opponents ball before yours??
In call pocket all that is required is for you to call your ball and the pocket and make a legal hit on one of your balls. Regardless of whatever else happens.

Cuebuddy
10-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Where abouts in Colorado you at?
I live about 100 miles west of the mile high city. There is only a couple tables in bars and mostly bangers using them.I have gotten used to it but still miss competing.

Siz
10-25-2008, 12:20 AM
It does get considerably more difficult when the first ball is farther from the pocket. The hit must be more precise and draw on the cue ball is required.

I do not believe that you need draw on the cue ball if the two object balls are not too close together (although of course if it works for you, then fine).

All that is needed is to make sure that you don't hit too hard, and concentrate on hitting the second ball absolutely full.

softshot
10-25-2008, 12:48 AM

shot #68.... 99 critical shots in pool..Ray knows...

dabarbr
10-25-2008, 01:02 AM
I do not believe that you need draw on the cue ball if the two object balls are not too close together (although of course if it works for you, then fine).

All that is needed is to make sure that you don't hit too hard, and concentrate on hitting the second ball absolutely full.
You're correct. Although I was referring to the shot where the first object ball to be pocketed is more that just a few inches from the pocket. The object ball that you strike with the cue ball now needs to travel a bit further after making the combination. It will need more than it's natural roll to reach the pocket.

Patrick Johnson
10-25-2008, 07:49 AM
... you can do it from farther away than 6 inches

Actually, closer than six inches is harder to do in one way: the first OB needs some room to pick up forward roll so it will follow the second OB into the pocket. When the OBs are close together you have to be careful to hit the shot easy so the first OB doesn't slide all the way to the second OB and stop. Even adding draw to the CB to help the first OB get rolling doesn't help much.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson
10-25-2008, 07:51 AM
You're correct. Although I was referring to the shot where the first object ball to be pocketed is more that just a few inches from the pocket. The object ball that you strike with the cue ball now needs to travel a bit further after making the combination. It will need more than it's natural roll to reach the pocket.

You can't transfer enough follow to the OB to give it more than its natural roll. At best it will attain natural roll a little sooner.

pj
chgo

alstl
10-25-2008, 10:06 AM
I was watching one of the IPT 8 ball matches and one of the pros was faced with that situation. He slow rolled his ball against the opponents ball and left them both in front of the pocket. The opponent had no way to hit his ball legally.

dabarbr
10-25-2008, 11:02 AM
You can't transfer enough follow to the OB to give it more than its natural roll. At best it will attain natural roll a little sooner.

pj
chgo
On this shot that we are talking about I have found that by elevating the butt of the cue just slightly I can transfer a bit more follow to the object ball thus gaining a few more inches of forward roll. Not much but enough to sometimes make a difference.

Caromsoft
10-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I love this shot. For me it works about half the time. :)