PDA

View Full Version : US Open: Behrman's vile anti-Semitic comments

millikenb
10-24-2008, 08:34 PM
I was watching the Accu-stats pay per view of the US Open on Friday night.
After the Immonen / Archer match Behrman made a speech about how he was retiring from running
his pool room to promote big time pool tournaments with ?major sponsors?.

During his speech he casually made two particularly vile anti-Semitic comments.
The first was that his price for his room was firm at 2.7 mil and he won?t let anyone ?Jew me down?.
Later he describe that his landlord charged him a reasonable rent because ?he is not a Jew?.

And this is a man who wants to promote pool.
No reputable major sponsor will touch him after this display of ignorant prejudice.
He needs to be run out of pool for the good of the game.

Barry Milliken

jamesroberts
10-24-2008, 08:49 PM
i believe he is jewish so maybe he feels like can say things like that without it being offensive

gesan
10-24-2008, 08:50 PM
I was watching and was also surprised. If he is in fact Jewish does that make a difference in how you react to his statements?
I was suprised that he didn't realize the reaction people will have to what he said.

I try not to judge people too harshly and my opinion of him is only changed in that he was clearly not aware of how others are impacted by his words. I think he is probably a good man who made a mistake.

KoolKat9Lives
10-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Behrman is a Jewish name, at least I'm laying 5 to 1 it is...

He's a strange little creature. Wears bahama style clothes and walks (peculiarly) around holding his little (and I mean teeney) pooch. Interesting fella.

Nostroke
10-24-2008, 08:59 PM
It is not in doubt that he is Jewish. No doubt he isnt and never has been the Great Communicator either. He means well I feel.

ribdoner
10-24-2008, 09:05 PM
people say strange things...

his cross to bear

RoadAgent
10-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Who gives a $hit..

GordonRamsay
10-24-2008, 09:23 PM
perhaps he converted to Judaism just for the jokes?;)

Thecoats
10-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Like Jerry Seinfeld's dentist. I think he is just a bit insensitive and socially awkward. However, I am sure he means well and is truly working from his heart.

-don

Purdman
10-24-2008, 09:35 PM
He is definitely a character, I'll tell you that. That's the way he talks. You want to run the guy out of pool? Listen my friend, the US Open is his party. One week of the best players in the world for 33 years. I guarantee you that he has been floating on a cloud all week.
You obviously haven't spent a lot of time around a couple of Jews. My aunt married one. Benard Applebaum. Best dam uncle you could ask for. He would travel 200 miles to put a starter on your car when it broke down at the beach. He brought the starter with him too! The only one who would come get you out of jail for using somebody elses draft card back in 1967. You should have heard him talk about Jews. It ain't nothing but a thing man. Don't hold it against him.
Peace, Purdman :smile:

Thunderball
10-24-2008, 09:43 PM
people say strange things...True

his cross to bear
Funny shyatt,even if nobody but me notices lol.

branpureza
10-24-2008, 09:49 PM
barry is in fact jewish and makes jokes all in good fun... seems like these days anything anyone says is offensive to at least one other person. if you can make jokes about anyone, can't it at least be yourself? haha

Bigkahuna
10-24-2008, 10:01 PM
After the Immonen / Archer match Behrman made a speech about how he was retiring from running

The first was that his price for his room was firm at 2.7 mil and he won?t let anyone ?Jew me down?.
Later he describe that his landlord charged him a reasonable rent because ?he is not a Jew?.

No reputable major sponsor will touch him after this display of ignorant prejudice.

Barry Milliken

This post is pretty bad. What little we have left in pool and you have to bash people who have had success providing professional tournaments. Oh yah that will get everyone somewhere.

worldison2
10-24-2008, 10:23 PM
I heard Eddie Murphy use the N word once in a comedy routine.

It ruined his career and he died penniless.....

Rick S.
10-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Behrman is a Jewish name, at least I'm laying 5 to 1 it is..

Will you give 6-1?

SpiderWebComm
10-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Barry is Jewish. He wears a star of david as a necklace. If he was jewing it up in conversation, that's why. He's a good guy - he was being funny about it. It's his schtick. One thing about Barry, he's had a successful tournament for a long, long time. Unlike the WPA and IPT, he doesn't shtoop the pool players.

gopi-1
10-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Barry is Jewish. He wears a star of david as a necklace. If he was jewing it up in conversation, that's why. He's a good guy - he was being funny about it. It's his schtick. One thing about Barry, he's had a successful tournament for a long, long time. Unlike the WPA and IPT, he doesn't shtoop the pool players.

I don't know about Mika Spidey, I heard he had something to say...

BRKNRUN
10-25-2008, 01:26 AM
Meh....You know how it is....the only group of people you are allowed to make fun of are bald white guys.:)

He is probably an Anti-Dentite also....:wink:

PETARD
10-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Will you give 6-1?

Wait; how? Met him at Mosconi Cup and has done a lot for pool after his personal issues of a few years ago; I judge by actions not yapping

berlowmj
10-25-2008, 02:01 AM
He is definitely a character, I'll tell you that. That's the way he talks. You want to run the guy out of pool? Listen my friend, the US Open is his party. One week of the best players in the world for 33 years. I guarantee you that he has been floating on a cloud all week.
You obviously haven't spent a lot of time around a couple of Jews. My aunt married one. Benard Applebaum. Best dam uncle you could ask for. He would travel 200 miles to put a starter on your car when it broke down at the beach. He brought the starter with him too! The only one who would come get you out of jail for using somebody elses draft card back in 1967. You should have heard him talk about Jews. It ain't nothing but a thing man.
Peace, Purdman :smile:

If he is Jewish & suffers issues of self hatred he should see a shrink. Such behavior is also reminiscent of Jews in the Warsaw ghetto & in the camps who were informants & worse. Many of them paid the price, because all Jews do not conform to the images portrayed by Woody Allen & Jack Benny.

Purdman You appear to be a gentle soul & for that I commend you. But your statement "It ain't nothing but a thing man" does not compute for me & certainly does not bring a "smile" to my face.

Ruthless
10-25-2008, 02:44 AM
I figured someone would say something as soon as I heard him make the comments.

(In jest) Undoubtably he is a jew if he thinks he can get $2.75 mil for a billiard business and doesn't even own the building.................. he would need a mask and gun to pull that off.

:)

poolplayer2093
10-25-2008, 02:56 AM

Barry Milliken
isn't berhman a traditionally jewish last name?

JB Cases
10-25-2008, 03:24 AM
I think that players got schtuped at the 2001 US Open and am not sure if all of them have been paid yet. Mike Immonen was thrown out of the Conference Center by Barry for asking for the payment a few years later.

I am sure Barry was using the word Jew the way black folks use the N-word or how homosexuals call themselves faggots. The psychology of this is that if they assume ownership of the word then it becomes harmless.

I don't subscribe to that idea and I feel that using the N-word, the J-word, faggot, ho, *****, and similar words furthers sterotypes and desensitizes us to the vile nature of these words. It makes us forget where they came from and why they were used.

Barry is quite a character and we know he likes to party. He loves dogs, hates kids, loves women but not enough to allow them to play in his tournament, and somehow he has managed to keep the US Open 9 Ball tournament alive for 33 years. A lot of promoters have come and gone in that time.

I hope he doesn't overextend himself though. His springtime Master's events didn't go over so well and I don't know if the players ever got paid from that event either.

Sometimes you can't extend brand aura beyond what it is.

skor
10-25-2008, 03:50 AM
I don't subscribe to that idea and I feel that using the N-word, the J-word, faggot, ho, *****, and similar words furthers sterotypes and desensitizes us to the vile nature of these words. It makes us forget where they came from and why they were used.

I agree to a point..
Looking the other way or not using certain words will not make sterotypes or racism disappear... This is like the censorship you have on TV and on forums such as this, I mean you won't hear the f word on national TV or internet forums but still every 10 years old kid knows it and uses it... you don't see sexual contents on national TV but still kid are having sex at the age of 13...

As a Jew I am not offended and don't see the harm in it... in fact I was LMAO when reading this... maybe because as a Jew I understood the joke...

JimS
10-25-2008, 03:58 AM
His comments were crude and insensitive. I don't like him. I don't trust him.

Black-Balled
10-25-2008, 04:32 AM
Meh....You know how it is....the only group of people you are allowed to make fun of are bald white guys.:)

He is probably an Anti-Dentite also....:wink:

You can also make fun of the Amish. THey won't hear.

tbone1213
10-25-2008, 04:34 AM
If this offends you, I feel sorry for you.
We have become too politically correct, as a whole and everyone is afraid of saying anything that could be construed as insulting.
If someone calls me a "greasy dago", should I be offended?
I'd laugh it off and call them "fag" or whatever,
Grow some balls and quit being so sensitive..........

"sticks and stones etc...

Brian
10-25-2008, 04:57 AM
This post is pretty bad. What little we have left in pool and you have to bash people who have had success providing professional tournaments. Oh yah that will get everyone somewhere.

There is nothing wrong with the original post!Being successful is not a license to be offensive.The game of Pool was here before this idiot and will be here long after he is gone.Whether or not he is Jewish is not relevant when it comes to promoting stereotypes by use of reprehensible comments.I hope his comments are met with a boycott of his events.I would hope those that think the negative reaction to behrman's comments are overly sensitive would remember history, grow a spine and take a stand against this type of behavior.

Brian

scttybee
10-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Wow-are You Kidding Me?
I See Names Ive Never Heard Of Complaining About A Man They Probably Never Met
Are People Really This Sensitive?
Its Pathetic
Im Sorry If This Makes You Shed A Tear
Barry Will Always Be A Character-hes Not A Politician For A State Hes A Guy Who Enjoys What He Does And Shares It With
The Entire World Every Year-hes Not My Hero Or Any Thing But He S Been The One Constant In The Pool World Since I Started Playing 20 Yrs Ago
All Of The Very Sensitive Ethnic People Here In The Us Are Weak
Crybabies Who Should Take A Long Look At The Succesful People Of Their Own Races And Notcie Youll Find None Of Them Crying About What Someone "said"
Its Even More Pathetic That You Enraged Me Enough To Type This Much On A Saturday Morning
So Pleeeeze Grow A Pair,buy A Pair Or Rent A Pair But Man Up A Little-it Will Make Everything In Your Life A Little Better

Neil
10-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Being successful is not a license to be offensive.The game of Pool was here before this idiot

hmmmmm...... Does that mean you aren't successful???

use of reprehensible comments.

Would someone please post those comments- all I see is the ones in the first post.???

I have to cut this short, I've got a busy day. Theres a gay parade I have to attend because I'm Dutch. (Gotta go stick my fingers in some dykes. Or is it dikes?? Oh well, going to be a busy day either way.)

Bigkahuna
10-25-2008, 06:17 AM
I hope his comments are met with a boycott of his events.

Brian

So you think the US Open should be killed? You think the US Open should cease because the promoter is probably making fun of himself or his religion?

smashmouth
10-25-2008, 06:23 AM
I was watching the original Peter Pan with my kids the other day, holy damn would it ever be considered politically incorrect nowadays

past generations.....different times, that's all....

Brian
10-25-2008, 06:28 AM
hmmmmm...... Does that mean you aren't successful???

Would someone please post those comments- all I see is the ones in the first post.???

I have to cut this short, I've got a busy day. Theres a gay parade I have to attend because I'm Dutch. (Gotta go stick my fingers in some dykes. Or is it dikes?? Oh well, going to be a busy day either way.)

In my opinion your post is not funny or clever. You appear to be under educated and over opinionated when post a comment that ignores the issue.Your attack is without substance.In answer to your question, not that it is relevant, my bills are paid , my family is taken care of and my game is improving.

Brian

Neil
10-25-2008, 06:32 AM
In my opinion your post is not funny or clever. You appear to be under educated and over opinionated when post a comment that ignores the issue.Your attack is without substance.In answer to your question, not that it is relevant, my bills are paid , my family is taken care of and my game is improving.

Brian
LOL.:D You talk about offensive remarks, then call someone an idiot in the next sentence. (Which is against the rules.) Thanks for the laugh this morning!

Brian
10-25-2008, 06:46 AM
So you think the US Open should be killed? You think the US Open should cease because the promoter is probably making fun of himself or his religion?

Your question presumes an incorrect answer.behrman owes a public apology to every WW2 Veteran as well as the survivors and families of those that have suffered from such vile ignorance.Perhaps you will open a history book and you will hopefully see there is nothing funny in his comments. I believe the U.S. Open should find a new promoter.I would also like to see Accu-Stats not associate with berhman.I will make sure not to purchase any DVD's which in any way promote or profit the likes of berhman.

Brian

Brian
10-25-2008, 06:50 AM
LOL.:D You talk about offensive remarks, then call someone an idiot in the next sentence. (Which is against the rules.) Thanks for the laugh this morning!

This is your last dose of attention from me.Snitch me out to Wilson.Seems to be within your character. I'll take my chances.You have nothing substantive to post.Enjoy your laugh.

Brian

Pushout
10-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Your question presumes an incorrect answer.behrman owes a public apology to every WW2 Veteran as well as the survivors and families of those that have suffered from such vile ignorance.Perhaps you will open a history book and you will hopefully see there is nothing funny in his comments. I believe the U.S. Open should find a new promoter.I would also like to see Accu-Stats not associate with berhman.I will make sure not to purchase any DVD's which in any way promote or profit the likes of berhman.

Brian

I'm sure Barry will cry himself to sleep over you. Grow up.

Neil
10-25-2008, 06:57 AM

Brian
Don't forget never watching the open again, reading posts about the open, ect.

By the way, his comments are only offensive to you because YOU choose them to be so. He's Jewish, and not offended. What gives you the right to be offended?? Are you this uptight about everything, or just the jews? If you would take you PC blinders off for a while, you would know that Mr. Berhman takes those comments as a compliment, not an insult. As many Jews, do. (But not all Jews)

edit: In case you didn't know- those comments refer to the jews in general being known as very good businessmen, very frugal. Nothing insulting about it. It has NOTHING to do with WWII.

jsp
10-25-2008, 06:58 AM
As a Jew I am not offended and don't see the harm in it... in fact I was LMAO when reading this... maybe because as a Jew I understood the joke...
And what if Barry isn't a Jew. Would you still not be offended?

Neil
10-25-2008, 07:04 AM
This is your last dose of attention from me.Snitch me out to Wilson.Seems to be within your character. I'll take my chances.You have nothing substantive to post.Enjoy your laugh.

Brian
LOL. I haven't said anything to Wilson! I was pointing out the two-sidedness of your post. Apparently you aren't quite educated enough to not see yourself getting tied up in your own words. :D

By the way, I hope you aren't voting for Obama, he's against helping the Jews at all!

Brian
10-25-2008, 07:12 AM
I'm sure Barry will cry himself to sleep over you. Grow up.

It would be justice if "barry" cried himself to sleep.I am in my mid fifty's.I have lived long enough and witnessed enough to know the difference between right and wrong.Perhaps you cannot understand the ramifications of negative stereo-typing.I am sure you can do better then "grow up".Maybe your next post will contain relevant content.

Brian

Bigkahuna
10-25-2008, 07:25 AM

Brian

Your posting here in this thread is generally offensive. You have offended me by telling me to "grow a spine" and tell me to "open a history book" as though I am a complete idiot. Life is short my friend and I will not spend one more minute of my life giving your rhetoric any more energy. Negativity is a cancer in this world you should be looking to cut yourself from it.

I usually give people the benefit of the doubt and do hope you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Pushout
10-25-2008, 07:33 AM
It would be justice if "barry" cried himself to sleep.I am in my mid fifty's.I have lived long enough and witnessed enough to know the difference between right and wrong.Perhaps you cannot understand the ramifications of negative stereo-typing.I am sure you can do better then "grow up".Maybe your next post will contain relevant content.

Brian

I'm in my late fifties and I find your remarks much more offensive than what Barry said. I won't get in a pissing contest with you. I hope someone brings this to Mike Howerton's attention before it gets really ugly.
Oh, and congratulations! You've joined that exclusive club made up of right wing politicos, obnoxious sobs, 14 year olds, know it alls, etc. known as my Ignore List.
Again, congratulations!
It was crap like this that brought rsb to it's knees years ago.

Kevin Lindstrom
10-25-2008, 07:38 AM
If this offends you, I feel sorry for you.
We have become too politically correct, as a whole and everyone is afraid of saying anything that could be construed as insulting.
If someone calls me a "greasy dago", should I be offended?
I'd laugh it off and call them "fag" or whatever,
Grow some balls and quit being so sensitive..........

"sticks and stones etc...

Another guy with 10 posts comes on here *****in about a guy who runs the best tournament in the U.S. and possibly in the world.

Hell I'm a nazi and I love Barry whether he's a Jew or not.

Sure hope we can stop running him up a flagpole based on a comment he made about the price of selling a poolroom.

You PC people need to give it a break and lighten up.

Kevin

SpiderWebComm
10-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Barry doesn't owe anyone an apology (or to WW2 vets) or whatever, you gotta be kidding me. One jew talking about "jewing someone down" or "acting like a jew" is like an african american calling his friend "his nigga."

My entire family is jewish and I talk about jewing the car salesman down when buying a car, and I'm not hateful.

Some of you guys need to pull off the computer once in a while and get a life.

Bigkahuna
10-25-2008, 07:54 AM
I was watching the original Peter Pan with my kids the other day, holy damn would it ever be considered politically incorrect nowadays

past generations.....different times, that's all....

I agree and there are many people out there that think movies and books should be edited to be politically correct. I don't think so as we do not want to forget those times. Times when people really were discriminated against.

scttybee
10-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Cmon Guys Thats Enough
By Constantly Replying And Explaining
To The Pc Crowd(made Up Of Weak Minded Crybabies)
We Only Give Them More To Piss About
And More Importantly We Are Waisting Good Jokes On People Who Dont Get Them

Blackjack
10-25-2008, 07:59 AM

OMG!

Barry Behrman cracked a few Jew jokes?

Barry has as many Jewish jokes as Smorg has fat jokes.

:shrug:

Hey Pushout, at RSB we had what was known as the "Hitler rule".

It wasn't a reference to Nazi-ism or anything, it just meant that whenever the word "Hitler" was brought up or mentioned... it was a signal. It was UNDERSTOOD (by our members of average intelligence or above) that the thread/topic was officially over. Believe it or not, it was followed more than it wasn't (I believe Kulaga had the most problems with it).

RSB
I miss the good old days of RSB - especially the comedy team of Meador and Smorg. RSB is not killed and its not dead. Of course it is not as vibrant in activity as it once was, but there is still some fantastic, intelligent, unmoderated discussion over there by knowledgeable people that love the game of pool (with one or two exceptions).

If you get a good filter its really not that bad at all. I use rec.groups and I have FL and his sparring partners filtered a few hundred times along with various spam generators. Every time a new identity pops up, it takes about 2 clicks to get rid of all the williebillies, tuityfruities, wonderbunnies, etc. Once all of that crap is removed, there is a lot of good discussion about pool.

Carpe_Diem
10-25-2008, 08:09 AM
I agree with scttybee.

For the entire time I have been a member of this site I have refrained from replying in any threads that contained any negativity what soever.

I can say that I am somewhat saddened by the negative threads I have siffed through over the duration of my time here.

This site has some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of listening too or getting advice from and I guess I wish that the threads would never happen or at least not take root. Lot's to ask for, I know. :)

During my 7 months in Afghanistan this site, including the owners and the members a like on it, kept me informed on what was happening in the pool world. It would be nice if we could all just refrain from fighting.

Let's all keep up the good threads like the one for Smorgie. These show just what kind family this site really is.

Cheers.

Paul

watchez
10-25-2008, 08:10 AM
So since I have played pool (although not professionally)- if I make a joke about every pool player being a low life scumbag, that is ok because I am part of the group. And I have run a tournament, so if I make a joke about every tournament director being a low life scumbag robbing the unintelligent pool player that is also ok.

mudball
10-25-2008, 08:12 AM
My only hope is that we don't have to listen to 20 minutes worth of thanks before the finals. Not only for my sake but for the sake of the players. Last year was awful. Shane and Ronnie warmed up, then got cramped up in the chair sitting so long anxiously waiting for their chance to play for the championship.

Please Barry, give them a break :(

Edit: spelled Barry with an e LOLOLOL SORRY BARRY ;)

Purdman
10-25-2008, 08:14 AM
If he is Jewish & suffers issues of self hatred he should see a shrink. Such behavior is also reminiscent of Jews in the Warsaw ghetto & in the camps who were informants & worse. Many of them paid the price, because all Jews do not conform to the images portrayed by Woody Allen & Jack Benny.

Purdman You appear to be a gentle soul & for that I commend you. But your statement "It ain't nothing but a thing man" does not compute for me & certainly does not bring a "smile" to my face.

You and I agree on many issues berlowmj. I have known the man for a few years and can guarentee you that he is not a " Jewish traitor ". A tad strange, yes. Insensitive, maybe. As far a Woody Allen and Jack Benny, I never liked them. They didn't start the US Open 9 Ball tournament and run it for 33 years either. So hang in there Rodchester, everything is going to be alright.
Peace, Purdman :)

cashin
10-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Barry is jewish.. He kids all the time about being cheap because he is jewish. He knows it's politically incorrect to say things like this. It was meant to be a JOKE.. Lighten Up.. Barry's a GREAT guyI was watching the Accu-stats pay per view of the US Open on Friday night.

Barry Milliken

Kevin Lindstrom
10-25-2008, 08:24 AM
So since I have played pool (although not professionally)- if I make a joke about every pool player being a low life scumbag, that is ok because I am part of the group. And I have run a tournament, so if I make a joke about every tournament director being a low life scumbag robbing the unintelligent pool player that is also ok.

That would be ok by me in my book. If you can't laugh at yourself what can you laugh at.

Let me ask you and other's these questions.

What makes you laugh?

What comedians make you laugh the most?

Have you never laughed at a "fat" joke or a "blonde" joke etc.? If you did do you think that was fair and or politically correct to the fat guy's or the blondes in the worlds?

Don't get me wrong I don't think that what Barry said needs to be promoted as a correct way of speaking or acting. I also don't think that what Barry said was neccesarily meant to be comedic. All I'm saying is that there is no need to make him seem like the worst guy in the world based on one small comment he made about selling his poolroom. I'm certain he meant no preconcieved or pondered racial slur to anyone particular group of people.

Kevin

ShootingArts
10-25-2008, 08:31 AM
First off, I think that the OP just got on his high horse to stir the poop.

However most of the posts afterwards bring up another issue. The ethnic idea that each group can use words but it is wrong for others outside the group to use the same words.

Newsflash!

People use the words that they hear. Back when I was in school many of the white boys picked up calling each other and the blacks "Bro" and then "Blood" from the black boys. Now the blacks are calling each other "Nigga" and it is cool. That has been one spelling of the "N" word(usage courtesy to admin) since at least the time of Mark Twain and down here in the deep south sounds exactly the same! Needless to say, when it is cool to say "Nigga" many of whites will say it too, they want to be cool also. When you hear "Nigga" is the person thinking cool hip "nigga" or are they thinking the N word?

Saying that it is fine for Italians to say wop and dago, Jews to stereotype Jews, on and on but nobody else can is just creating division. If you aren't comfortable with people outside your group using a name or saying something, don't do it yourself.

One comment about someone not taking offense at being called a greasy dago earlier in the thread stood out for me. Someone that calls me that better be a very good friend and grinning when they say it or teeth are gonna fly. I can and have hit somebody for calling me similar and sometimes something far less offensive just looking at the words though. On the net we only see words we can't see the inflection and tone, we put our own inflection and tone on a post based on the context but also on our life experience, the poster if we know them, and the mood we are in. Even emoticons don't prevent misunderstandings and using them often is undesirable since it telegraphs punch lines.

Bottom line is we all need to think before we open our mouths or hit a keyboard. If we would be offended about anyone from any group using the language we shouldn't be using it either.

Hu

Brian
10-25-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm in my late fifties and I find your remarks much more offensive than what Barry said. I won't get in a pissing contest with you. I hope someone brings this to Mike Howerton's attention before it gets really ugly.
Oh, and congratulations! You've joined that exclusive club made up of right wing politicos, obnoxious sobs, 14 year olds, know it alls, etc. known as my Ignore List.
Again, congratulations!

As with your last post it appears this post contains no relevant content.At your age , your inability to acknowledge improper remarks made by "barry" is shameful.Please put me on your ignore list.

Brian

Sweet Marissa
10-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Barry is Jewish and is NOT self-loathing. My family is Korean and we make jokes about Asian stereotypes all the time. It doesn't make us racist or wish we weren't Asian. Are we supposed to be angry about stereotypes all the time? Anyone who thinks so needs to lighten up!

skor
10-25-2008, 08:50 AM
And what if Barry isn't a Jew. Would you still not be offended?

I think it all depends on the context...
Barry puts up a show, every interview with him I ever read was full with "smart" remarks and it always comes across as his humor and his character in the industry.... there is no different between him or Adam Sandler's "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" or Monty Python's "Life of Brian"... True, life is not a movie but sometimes truth is stranger then pictures :o

I bet you that if a Jew would put down the cash that he's looking for in his hand without trying to haggle him (a known way of us Jews doing business...) he will sell in a second...

I guess in some scenarios I would be more upset if this kind of remarks would have come from a non Jew just like an African American would be offended by the N word if used by a white man but I doubt it would be an issue if Jim Carrey would use it in a movie...

There used to be a period when we (in Israel) had "holocaust jokes" this is something that no outsider can even begin to understand or except!!!
What Jews have gone through throughout history (long long before WWII) you can't expect us to survive so long without some self humor....

Brian
10-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Barry is Jewish and is NOT self-loathing. My family is Korean and we make jokes about Asian stereotypes all the time. It doesn't make us racist or wish we weren't Asian. Are we supposed to be angry about stereotypes all the time? Anyone who thinks so needs to lighten up!

Where is "Timberly" when you need her?

Sweet Marissa
10-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Where is "Timberly" when you need her?
Because you're unable to come up with an intelligent argument?

Sweet Marissa
10-25-2008, 09:11 AM
... you can't expect us to survive so long without some self humor....
This sums up my thoughts on it perfectly.

BigDogatLarge
10-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Well, I'm Scottish and I have my own barstool...

Dwight

swrooster
10-25-2008, 09:47 AM
people say strange things...

his cross to bear
I Laughed out Loud. Very funny you insensetive Philistine.

Can't we all just get along? Pretty soon someone will be dissing homley folks and then I'll be offended. In fact, I'll just ugly them to death.

Bigkahuna
10-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Well, I'm Scottish and I have my own barstool...

Dwight

Now that is funny! :D

SpiderWebComm
10-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Come to think of it, you're right. Why do all Asian girls look the same? They're all hot. Why is that?

watchez
10-25-2008, 11:52 AM
That would be ok by me in my book. If you can't laugh at yourself what can you laugh at.

Let me ask you and other's these questions.

What makes you laugh?

What comedians make you laugh the most?

Have you never laughed at a "fat" joke or a "blonde" joke etc.? If you did do you think that was fair and or politically correct to the fat guy's or the blondes in the worlds?

Don't get me wrong I don't think that what Barry said needs to be promoted as a correct way of speaking or acting. I also don't think that what Barry said was neccesarily meant to be comedic. All I'm saying is that there is no need to make him seem like the worst guy in the world based on one small comment he made about selling his poolroom. I'm certain he meant no preconcieved or pondered racial slur to anyone particular group of people.

Kevin

Something funny and thoughtful makes me laugh. Comedians like Carlin, Cosby, Murphy, Rock, Seinfeld. And I have laughed at many jokes -

The point is there is a time and place for everything. Doing an interview is not the time or place. Shows lack of class.

Brian
10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Because you're unable to come up with an intelligent argument?

Your original post speaks volumes.No need for me to contend with you.I have seen some of your posts that have been pasted and copied in "Jimbo's Army?" forum.I have serious questions regarding your intellect.I do not believe any further comments from or towards you would be meaningful to this thread.
Good luck!

Sweet Marissa
10-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Come to think of it, you're right. Why do all Asian girls look the same? They're all hot. Why is that?
We're all related.

Da Bank
10-25-2008, 12:19 PM
an anti-semitic jew! :eek:

Must hang around with the equal rights nazi, the pro-choice evangelical preacher, the white power black panther, and clayton bigsby! :rolleyes:

http://www.hjokes.com/Tnails/video/66/Clayton%20Bigsby-%20He%20thought%20he%20was%20white.jpg

mikepage
10-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Barry doesn't owe anyone an apology (or to WW2 vets) or whatever, you gotta be kidding me. One jew talking about "jewing someone down" or "acting like a jew" is like an african american calling his friend "his nigga."

My entire family is jewish and I talk about jewing the car salesman down when buying a car, and I'm not hateful.

Some of you guys need to pull off the computer once in a while and get a life.

I have to disagree with you Spide.

Blacks using nigger is about co-opting the word; it's not about adopting or reinforcing negative stereotypes that surround it (blacks are stupid, etc.).

Also, you talking to your family is different from making a public statement. When you make a public statement, you're talking to many many people who may never have met a Jewish person and whose perception of Jewish people is informed largely and unfairly by references like this.

Try this analogy on for size.

In Afghanistan, there are many people who have no clue about the American system of government, no clue of American values, etc. They are farmers, for example, and they are not generally educated about worldly affairs.

Here's what they've heard in the last 7 years. They've heard about the US invading Iraq, abusing/humiliating prisoners at Abu Graib, torturing captives at Guantanamo, and so forth. On top of this they hear Americans are obsessed with material goods and do not care for the elderly. They probably have a few words and a few jokes that stem from these stereotypes. And of course they are unfair and unreasonable.

If an American in Afghanistan referred to himself in a joking way but in a way that also reinforced these stereotypes, I would be pissed. I would take no solace from the fact he is an American and is allowed to make fun of himself. Those stereotypes are damaging. They prevent the Afghani people from gaining a fair and balanced perspective on who Americans are. All these stereotypes are deterrents to the kind of tolerance and understanding we need to progress in this world.

I choose this analogy in part because this stuff is on my mind. My daughter if off to Afghanistan as an AID worker in a couple weeks. And things ain't too good for aid workers over there right now.

Do I think Mr. Behrman should be nailed to the wall for this? No. I think he likely means no harm. I think he likely is joking in his own way.

But at the same time "lightening up" or "getting a life" is not the right answer either.

Mr. Behrman needs to get a clear message that this is not OK.

Because it IS NOT OK.

SpiderWebComm
10-25-2008, 01:34 PM
If one Jew thinks it's ok to use the word Jew in a tongue and cheek way and other Jews aren't offended, who is anyone to say anything?

Next time you're out and about and hear some cock-diesel black guy call his friend "his nigga", make sure you go up to him complaining the same way you're complaining about Behrman. Tell him how wrong it is.

I can't even believe there's a thread about this. That's how retarded it is.

Barry wears a friggin' Star of David around his neck and has had it there since I first met him almost a decade ago. He can use "Jew" in a sentence ANY WAY HE MOTHER FRICKIN' FEELS LIKE IT.

Let's end the thread...Stop posting and call him up and say something about it. Let him know your thoughts.

Brian
10-25-2008, 01:38 PM
If one Jew thinks it's ok to use the word Jew in a tongue and cheek way and other Jews aren't offended, who is anyone to say anything?

Next time you're out and about and hear some cock-diesel black guy call his friend "his nigga", make sure you go up to him complaining the same way you're complaining about Behrman. Tell him how wrong it is.

I can't even believe there's a thread about this. That's how retarded it is.

Barry wears a friggin' Star of David around his neck and has had it there since I first met him almost a decade ago. He can use "Jew" in a sentence ANY WAY HE MOTHER FRICKIN' FEELS LIKE IT.

Let's end the thread...Stop posting and call him up and say something about it. Let him know your thoughts.
Your posts in this thread are disgraceful.You take for granted what so many have sacrificed.There is nothing more to be said to you.
Brian

SpiderWebComm
10-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Your posts in this thread are disgraceful.You take for granted what so many have sacrificed.There is nothing more to be said to you.
Brian

I stand by every word I said. My entire family is Jewish, so I'm vaguely offended for any non-Jew to say a word. It wasn't meant in a hateful way, end of story.

Like I said... if you feel so strongly about it, go into an inner-city bar and wait for someone to fire the n-word to his friend and then make issue of it.

This isn't even as bad as that. "Jew" as a word isn't even derogatory. If one Jew says he "Jewed someone down" he can. It's his right. For someone to start a thread complaining is a joke.

Call up Barry if you feel so strongly about it. Hear him out. Stop being a posting hero on AZB.

Sweet Marissa
10-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Brian
What are you talking about?? What is he taking for granted?

As a minority, I'm not offended unless a remark is said maliciously. When it is said out of hatred, I usually laugh at the ignorance of the speaker.

SpiderWebComm
10-25-2008, 01:50 PM

As a minority, I'm not offended unless a remark is said maliciously. When it is said out of hatred, I usually laugh at the ignorance of the speaker.

These people are lost...

I'm Jewish.. for someone to make a thread about Behrman being anti-semetic is breath-takinging insulting. The original poster is WAY out of line and if there are any apologies to be made, it should be from that guy to Barry.

That person looks like a clown calling a Jewish guy who sleeps with the Star of David around his neck "anti-Semetic."

My last post in this thread. I spoke my peace and stand by it.

PS.

Thanks for the red-rep Brian, back at ya. The only thing disgraceful is this thread. I hope to God AZB removes it before Barry or his family even SEE it.

Brian
10-25-2008, 01:55 PM

spiderwebcom and you have much in common.You both fail to see the harm caused by negative stereo typing and fail to acknowledge berhman's remarks as inappropriate or offensive.You are clueless if you have to ask what he is taking for granted.I am done with the both of you. You have failed to learn the lessons of history.Your ignorance , in view of your past posts is somewhat understandable. spiderweb claims to be of the Jewish faith and for him there is no excuse for his comments.Maybe one day the two of you will open a history book and come across the phrase"Never Again".

Da Bank
10-25-2008, 01:59 PM
i think the original poster had no idea he was a jew and is trying to save face.

The real final answer to this thread is that if we did a poll of every jew on the forum and ask if they were offended by a Behrman's comments (knowing he is also a jew)... do you think that even 5% would respond that they were? NO! That's your answer. :rolleyes:

Boogy Woogy

Da Bank
10-25-2008, 02:00 PM
spiderwebcom and you have much in common.You both fail to see the harm caused by negative stereo typing and fail to acknowledge berhman's remarks as inappropriate or offensive.You are clueless if you have to ask what he is taking for granted.I am done with the both of you. You have failed to learn the lessons of history.Your ignorance , in view of your past posts is somewhat understandable. spiderweb claims to be of the Jewish faith and for him there is no excuse for his comments.Maybe one day the two of you will open a history book and come across the phrase"Never Again".

twilight zone? :confused:

SpiderWebComm
10-25-2008, 02:01 PM

HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU CONNECTING THE HOLOCAUST TO BARRY "JEWING SOMEONE DOWN?" (When the guy's a religious Jew)

omg

He's not negative stereotyping anyone. I know I said my previous post was my last but you sir, are WAY outta line. I'm in disbelief reading this nonsense.

Hey Brian... call up Barry and speak your mind. Read your posts to him. Tell him how he's resurrecting the Holocaust with his comments.

You wanna see who's foolish, talk to the source.

Njhustler1
10-25-2008, 02:02 PM

and you're an anti-dentite. you're a rabid anti-dentite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythrdCsOFJU

Brian
10-25-2008, 02:20 PM
HOW ON EARTH ARE YOU CONNECTING THE HOLOCAUST TO BARRY "JEWING SOMEONE DOWN?" (When the guy's a religious Jew)

omg

He's not negative stereotyping anyone. I know I said my previous post was my last but you sir, are WAY outta line. I'm in disbelief reading this nonsense.

Hey Brian... call up Barry and speak your mind. Read your posts to him. Tell him how he's resurrecting the Holocaust with his comments.

Do you not understand the harm caused by perpetuating negative stereo types?Are you that uninformed that you can use phrases which dehumanize and not understand the consequences.If your grand parents are still living sit down and talk with them about history.Open your eyes.
I will take your word that the source of the comments is foolish.I would have nothing pleasant to say to him.

!Smorgass Bored
10-25-2008, 02:38 PM
OMG!
Barry Behrman cracked a few Jew jokes?

Barry has as many Jewish jokes as Smorg has fat jokes.

I'm reluctant to post a reply in this thread until I've heard from my friend Bob, who signs all his pool articles Jewett.

Doug
( funny, he doesn't look Jewett, he looks more like a 3 cushion player... imo) :) :) :)

ShootingArts
10-25-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm reluctant to post a reply in this thread until I've heard from my friend Bob, who signs all his pool articles Jewett.

Doug
( funny, he doesn't look Jewett, he looks more like a 3 cushion player... imo) :) :) :)

Bob's got to change his name, or at least the spelling and the pronunciation if I have been pronouncing it right all these years.

I went to school with a Jewett many years ago. Funny, she didn't look like a three cushion player . . .

Good to see you posting!

Hu

BRKNRUN
10-25-2008, 03:33 PM

omg

So my question is....If someone is half Jew and Half Polish (and blond) would that be a person that "Jews Someone UP??"

(I may be part polish and if I had hair it would be blond... BTW...which may explain some of my confusion on this matter)

"I am not offended as a Jew...I am offended as a comedian"....Jerry Seinfeld.

I am sure you all watched cartoons as kids....I used to watch Tom and Jerry as a kid....Have you ever noticed the references in those cartoons....Nobody seem to be offended then...

Why is everyone so freaken sensitive now...I tried out a feature on the site and changed the text of this post to Times New Roman....Hopfully I did not offend any Romans....:rolleyes:

Signed
"Cracker"

Pushout
10-25-2008, 04:06 PM

omg

I, too, failed to see what all the fuss is about and just how Barry's remarks had anything at all to do with WW ll or the Holocaust. I've studied the Holocaust in some depth, and to compare the two instances is, in itself, absolutely insane. I think that would be an insult to anyone who lived through the Holocaust.
For the record, I've had Jewish friends for years, some of them on this forum. I may show some of my non-pool playing Jewish friends Barry's remarks and see what they think.
I know Barry's son posted here a bit prior to the Open the last couple of years, maybe he or someone else will bring it to Barry's attention.

Brian
10-25-2008, 04:36 PM
I, too, failed to see what all the fuss is about and just how Barry's remarks had anything at all to do with WW ll or the Holocaust. I've studied the Holocaust in some depth, and to compare the two instances is, in itself, absolutely insane. I think that would be an insult to anyone who lived through the Holocaust.
For the record, I've had Jewish friends for years, some of them on this forum. I may show some of my non-pool playing Jewish friends Barry's remarks and see what they think.
I know Barry's son posted here a bit prior to the Open the last couple of years, maybe he or someone else will bring it to Barry's attention.

Prior to this thread I had never heard of "barry". I googled his name and read an interesting article about him in Billiards Digest. This is an excerpt regarding the person you and spiderwebcom are defending..."And finally, he ended up in jail two separate times, for nearly eight months total, after a string of legal problems and varying unseemliness: among other things, caught hosting illegal casino nights at his $625,000 palatial bachelor's pad, failing to pay taxes on his Q-Master Billiards poolroom in Virginia Beach, and twice breaking probation when cocaine showed up in his mandatory urine tests."These events occurred between 2003-2004.
Running a tournament does not excuse his indiscretions or inappropriate remarks.
Your comments regarding comparing "barry's" inappropriate remarks, i.e. negative religious stereo-typing and the holocaust as "insane" is incomprehensible to me.The dehumanizing and scapegoating began with negative generalizations and negative stereo-typing in speeches beginning in 1933.There were many who foolishly scoffed at the commentary or said it can't happen here.This person you defend is unconcerned with anyone or anything other then himself.If you have studied history then why would you down play such a display of vile display of filth? I hope you ask your friends for their reactions.At least you have an open mind and are willing to learn.

Brian

Purdman
10-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Prior to this thread I had never heard of "barry". I googled his name and read an interesting article about him in Billiards Digest. This is an excerpt regarding the person you and spiderwebcom are defending..."And finally, he ended up in jail two separate times, for nearly eight months total, after a string of legal problems and varying unseemliness: among other things, caught hosting illegal casino nights at his $625,000 palatial bachelor's pad, failing to pay taxes on his Q-Master Billiards poolroom in Virginia Beach, and twice breaking probation when cocaine showed up in his mandatory urine tests."These events occurred between 2003-2004.
Running a tournament does not excuse his indiscretions or inappropriate remarks.
Your comments regarding comparing "barry's" inappropriate remarks, i.e. negative religious stereo-typing and the holocaust as "insane" is incomprehensible to me.The dehumanizing and scapegoating began with negative generalizations and negative stereo-typing in speeches beginning in 1933.There were many who foolishly scoffed at the commentary or said it can't happen here.This person you defend is unconcerned with anyone or anything other then himself.If you have studied history then why would you down play such a display of vile display of filth? I hope you ask your friends for their reactions.At least you have an open mind and are willing to learn.

Brian

I can tell, you are going to be fun here on the forum.:kma: :poke: :barf:
Looking forward to your next post. It should be a doosie.:boring2:
We get a newbie like you about twice a year. You all don't last very long.
You need to learn how to live and let live son.:bash:
And think before you open your mouth.:ignore:

Kevin Lindstrom
10-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I too was wondering what Brian's real reasons are for being here on this pool website forum. I see in past posts he has busted Varneys balls on numerous occasion but other than that no real pool relate value has come from this guy as of yet. I agree he probably won't be here long as he is trying real hard not to make any friends here. Who knows maybe he is just Jewish and not a real fan of the game we all love.

Kevin

Purdman
10-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I too was wondering what Brian's real reasons are for being here on this pool website forum. I see in past posts he has busted Varneys balls on numerous occasion but other than that no real pool relate value has come from this guy as of yet. I agree he probably won't be here long as he is trying real hard not to make any friends here. Who knows maybe he is just Jewish and not a real fan of the game we all love.

Kevin

Kinda looks that way Kevin.
Are you watching the Open. Mika just went up 6 zip on Alcano.
Don
It's a nightmare!

jsp
10-25-2008, 06:01 PM
I have to disagree with you Spide.

Blacks using nigger is about co-opting the word; it's not about adopting or reinforcing negative stereotypes that surround it (blacks are stupid, etc.).

Also, you talking to your family is different from making a public statement. When you make a public statement, you're talking to many many people who may never have met a Jewish person and whose perception of Jewish people is informed largely and unfairly by references like this.

Try this analogy on for size.

In Afghanistan, there are many people who have no clue about the American system of government, no clue of American values, etc. They are farmers, for example, and they are not generally educated about worldly affairs.

Here's what they've heard in the last 7 years. They've heard about the US invading Iraq, abusing/humiliating prisoners at Abu Graib, torturing captives at Guantanamo, and so forth. On top of this they hear Americans are obsessed with material goods and do not care for the elderly. They probably have a few words and a few jokes that stem from these stereotypes. And of course they are unfair and unreasonable.

If an American in Afghanistan referred to himself in a joking way but in a way that also reinforced these stereotypes, I would be pissed. I would take no solace from the fact he is an American and is allowed to make fun of himself. Those stereotypes are damaging. They prevent the Afghani people from gaining a fair and balanced perspective on who Americans are. All these stereotypes are deterrents to the kind of tolerance and understanding we need to progress in this world.

I choose this analogy in part because this stuff is on my mind. My daughter if off to Afghanistan as an AID worker in a couple weeks. And things ain't too good for aid workers over there right now.

Do I think Mr. Behrman should be nailed to the wall for this? No. I think he likely means no harm. I think he likely is joking in his own way.

But at the same time "lightening up" or "getting a life" is not the right answer either.

Mr. Behrman needs to get a clear message that this is not OK.

Because it IS NOT OK.
Excellent post Mike.

I wish your daughter well.

Brian
10-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Kevin
This is a quote from your previous post"Hell I'm a nazi and I love Barry whether he's a Jew or not." About as low as you can go .No worries , we will never be friends.For the record, it was Wheat and not Varney, because I did not condone his method of business. Your are a self proclaimed nazi.You have zero credibility. It is good that others in this forum should see you in your true light!

Purdman
10-25-2008, 06:32 PM
This is a quote from your previous post"Hell I'm a nazi and I love Barry whether he's a Jew or not." About as low as you can go .No worries , we will never be friends.For the record, it was Wheat and not Varney, because I did not condone his method of business. Your are a self proclaimed nazi.You have zero credibility. It is good that others in this forum should see you in your true light!

He has more credibility here than you do. Brian, you shouldn't be so quick to judge and condemn. Do you start all your relationships like this? Sensitivity is not a requirement on a billiard forum. Now go find some dirt on some more pool enthusiast and players if that's your thing. There is plenty there. Or, you might take the moat out of your own eye before you start worrying about the splinter in somebody elses.
Have a nice evening.

Brian
10-25-2008, 06:34 PM
I can tell, you are going to be fun here on the forum.:kma: :poke: :barf:
Looking forward to your next post. It should be a doosie.:boring2:
We get a newbie like you about twice a year. You all don't last very long.
You need to learn how to live and let live son.:bash:
And think before you open your mouth.:ignore:

I am glad you enjoy the moment.To me it is a shame that more do not take a stand against religious and racial slurs.What is it I need to think about before I open my mouth?That racists, neo nazis and bigots should be tolerated and /or ignored? Too bad you are uncomfortable with my speaking out against what I consider an abomination.You say "live and let live".Try selling that to your neo nazi buddy lindstorm.Perhaps you should educate yourself about the people your defending."You need to learn"son" before speaking without knowledge.Learn that throughout history that if you want peace then prepare for war!Never Again!

Purdman
10-25-2008, 06:39 PM
I am glad you enjoy the moment.To me it is a shame that more do not take a stand against religious and racial slurs.What is it I need to think about before I open my mouth?That racists, neo nazis and bigots should be tolerated and /or ignored? Too bad you are uncomfortable with my speaking out against what I consider an abomination.You say "live and let live".Try selling that to your neo nazi buddy lindstorm.Perhaps you should educate yourself about the people your defending."You need to learn"son" before speaking without knowledge.Learn that throughout history that if you want peace then prepare for war!Never Again!

You really are insane buddy.

Brian
10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
He has more credibility here than you do. Brian, you shouldn't be so quick to judge and condemn. Do you start all your relationships like this? Sensitivity is not a requirement on a billiard forum. Now go find some dirt on some more pool enthusiast and players if that's your thing. There is plenty there. Or, you might take the moat out of your own eye before you start worrying about the splinter in somebody elses.
Have a nice evening.
I do not consider having a relationship with self proclaimed neo nazis or those that find them to be credible.Save your comments regarding sensitivity.Ask the neo nazi how sensitive he is towards minorities.The "dirt" was self provided by behrman during an interview with Billiards Digest.How is it you can defend such people?Do you not know the difference between right and wrong?Your "peace" is an illusion as long as you are unwilling to stand against injustice.

Brian
10-25-2008, 06:57 PM
You really are insane buddy.

Your opinion.But then again you find a neo nazi to be a credible person.What does that say about your sanity? This conversation is concluded.

Purdman
10-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I do not consider having a relationship with self proclaimed neo nazis or those that find them to be credible.Save your comments regarding sensitivity.Ask the neo nazi how sensitive he is towards minorities.The "dirt" was self provided by behrman during an interview with Billiards Digest.How is it you can defend such people?Do you not know the difference between right and wrong?Your "peace" is an illusion as long as you are unwilling to stand against injustice.

You my friend are the one who is full of hate and intolerance. I know Kevin and he is no rasist, bigot, nor a nazi as you suggest. That makes you a lier. I am watching the US Open here at home. Mika just won. Mr. Behrman is now presenting the checks. Take your hate some place else. You are the one who is wrong here.
Good Night

Kevin Lindstrom
10-25-2008, 07:01 PM

If you really believe that I am a Nazi as I have "claimed" that I am you really are wound tighter than I thought. I really am starting to almost feel sorry for you. Oh well what more can I say.

Hey halftime is over I am getting back to the wonderful Penn State vs. Ohio State football game. Hopefully the rain delay in the Phillies game will be lifted soon too. Can't wait for tomorrow. We have the Eagles and the World Series and The U.S. Open finals for plenty more fun entertainment for this great weekend.

Hope Brian can get over all this hype about Barry's comments and enjoy the rest of his weekend as well. Lifes too short to be getting this worked up over basically nothing.

Kevin

Purdman
10-25-2008, 07:03 PM
If you really believe that I am a Nazi as I have "claimed" that I am you really are wound tighter than I thought. I really am starting to almost feel sorry for you. Oh well what more can I say.

Hey halftime is over I am getting back to the wonderful Penn State vs. Ohio State football game. Hopefully the rain delay in the Phillies game will be lifted soon too. Can't wait for tomorrow. We have the Eagles and the World Series and The U.S. Open finals for plenty more fun entertainment for this great weekend.

Hope Brian can get over all this hype about Barry's comments and enjoy the rest of his weekend as well. Lifes too short to be getting this worked up over basically nothing.

Kevin

Mika just won Kevin.
Purd

Brian
10-25-2008, 07:09 PM
You my friend are the one who is full of hate and intolerance. I know Kevin and he is no rasist, bigot, nor a nazi as you suggest. That makes you a lier. I am watching the US Open here at home. Mika just won. Mr. Behrman is now presenting the checks. Take your hate some place else. You are the one who is wrong here.
Good Night
Take a look at Post #44 in this thread.It would be nice if you could get your facts straight before falsely accusing me of being a liar.
After you have looked at Post #44you can apologize and admit you are wrong.

scttybee
10-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Brian
Please Unload The Weapon
I Cant Believe 16hrs Later This Is Still Going On
No One Here Is Going To Take You Or Your Plight Seriously
Do Something With Yourself Man-get Grip
Insecurity Is A Terrible Thing To Waste

Brian
10-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Kevin
Your qoute contained in Post #44 of this thread......"
Hell I'm a nazi and I love Barry whether he's a Jew or not."
I guess you slipped up and exposed your true self.Too late to back up now. Don't feel sorry for me.I am not ashamed of who and what I am .

Bigkahuna
10-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Take a look at Post #44 in this thread.It would be nice if you could get your facts straight before falsely accusing me of being a liar.

You can't be serious. I looked at post #44 and it is quite obvious Kevin is not serious about being a Nazi. You are taking everything out of context.

Brian
10-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Brian
Please Unload The Weapon
I Cant Believe 16hrs Later This Is Still Going On
No One Here Is Going To Take You Or Your Plight Seriously
Do Something With Yourself Man-get Grip
Insecurity Is A Terrible Thing To Waste

I have seen your previous posts on this thread.I will take a pass on advice from you.Why do you not confront those that use religious and/or racial slurs not to mention a self proclaimed nazi?
The waste on this thread comes in the form of apathy.

ribdoner
10-25-2008, 07:21 PM

B,

i don't know K personally but i've interacted with him on these forums for a while. He's highly respected as a fair/honest trader of pool/billiard related items.

Although he's not a nazi he said what he said in order to illicet a responce, which he accomplished.

sydbarret
10-25-2008, 07:24 PM
sometimes sarcasm detectors need adjusting.

Brian
10-25-2008, 07:24 PM
You can't be serious. I looked at post #44 and it is quite obvious Kevin is not serious about being a Nazi. You are taking everything out of context.

I am going to assume you can read. I took nothing out of context.In his own words he called himself a nazi.I cannot believe that you can convince yourself that he did not admit he was a nazi.What kind of person would make that type of claim if they were not serious?

Pushout
10-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Good Night

I've taken the liberty of forwarding the link to this thread to Mike Howerton. It's time to put a stop to this nonsense.

Carpe_Diem
10-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Thank you, very much appreciated. :)

Cheers.

Paulie

I've taken the liberty of forwarding the link to this thread to Mike Howerton. It's time to put a stop to this nonsense.

Masirib5
10-25-2008, 07:39 PM
I think Barry is probably a great guy. Perhaps he just needs to do a cameo appearance but not MC everything. His heart seems to be good but I don't prefer his style of delivery. I sure like the US Open though!

Brian
10-25-2008, 07:40 PM
B,

i don't know K personally but i've interacted with him on these forums for a while. He's highly respected as a fair/honest trader of pool/billiard related items.

Although he's not a nazi he said what he said in order to illicet a responce, which he accomplished.

Rib
Here is another choice quote from lindstorm who claimed to be a nazi but in your opinion was trying to "illecit" a response...Post 88..."Who knows maybe he is just Jewish and not a real fan of the game we all love."
What kind of person says things like that?He might try to back up now that he has slipped up an exposed himself as a self proclaimed neo nazi but that will not change what he has said and how he has conducted himself.I would never do business with such a person.His comments are disgraceful and cannot be defended.
Brian

Brian
10-25-2008, 07:43 PM

Please highlight the post from lindstorm wherein he self proclaimed himself as a nazi.(Post no. 44) Let us see how AZB feels about such people.

Ed Simmons
10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
You know who I really can't stand?

It's those damned Antarcticans.

They all look the same in their tuxedos, and they always give you the cold shoulder. (and all the women are frigid)

ribdoner
10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Rib
Here is another choice quote from lindstorm who claimed to be a nazi but in your opinion was trying to "illecit" a response...Post 91..."Who knows maybe he is just Jewish and not a real fan of the game we all love."
What kind of person says things like that?He might try to back up now that he has slipped up an exposed himself as a self proclaimed neo nazi but that will not change what he has said and how he has conducted himself.I would never do business with such a person.His comments are disgraceful and cannot be defended.
Brian

Kevin still pushing buttons, nothing more.

i'm not defending, just splainin:)

Bigkahuna
10-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I think we are getting into subjects discussed only in Bizarro world....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUnNTX7HnjE

BRKNRUN
10-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Make sure you let Mike know he is a Long Hair Cracker!!!;)

Better yet I will next time I see him...

ShootingArts
10-25-2008, 08:08 PM
You know who I really can't stand?

It's those damned Antarcticans.

They all look the same in their tuxedos, and they always give you the cold shoulder. (and all the women are frigid)

How would they know about the women? You know that all of those short fat guys in tuxes walking funny ain't interested in women anyway!

Hu

Ed Simmons
10-25-2008, 08:14 PM
How would they know about the women? You know that all of those short fat guys in tuxes walking funny ain't interested in women anyway!

Hu

So you're calling them fish-packers?

We might need another thread for this.

ribdoner
10-25-2008, 08:19 PM

Hu

It's not that the Antarticans aren't interested, it's just too damn cold to get nekid and the chances of being stricken by DPP (Disappearing Pee Pee) are gr8.

Although i think i get r done while tuxed up at my first prom:confused:

Brian
10-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Kevin still pushing buttons, nothing more.

i'm not defending, just splainin:)

Rib:
I believe you have a good heart and mean well.I understand why you do not defend what he said.I do not understand why you do not condemn what he said.I've not met anyone who "pushes buttons" by claiming to be a nazi and referring to someone as being Jewish and not a real fan of the game.One of the best things that I have learned over the years is that while dangerous most racists are not to bright.Much like roaches they run when exposed to the light.Then they try to hide their their inappropriate comments as just "pushing buttons", "getting reactions" and joking around".I'd rather the cowards stand tall and take the heat.There is a data base for when they show themselves.

Brian

Sweet Marissa
10-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I guess when I make dog eating jokes I'm REALLY insulting my ancestors for falling under Japanese control.

Do you see how much sense you're lacking?

Barry's past has nothing to do with our stance on his remarks, which by the way, were NOT racist. Watch a black or Asian or Hispanic comic and tell me how many times they poke fun at stereotypes. I guess we should all walk around angry with chips on our shoulders. :rollseyes:

*Responded via mobile after an intense hockey match so pleas excuse any grammatical errors.

Sweet Marissa
10-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh, and Kevin is not a Nazi. This is diverse a board as you're going to get with blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, Latinos, Jews, Christians, Budhists, atheists, agnostics, gays, and the list goes on. The LAST person you'll find here is a Nazi.

sydbarret
10-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh, and Kevin is not a Nazi. This is diverse a board as you're going to get with blacks, whites, Asians, Hispanics, Latinos, Jews, Christians, Budhists, atheists, agnostics, gays, and the list goes on. The LAST person you'll find here is a Nazi.

yea that's my issue. Having his opinion on the comments is fine as some do seem to agree they were in poor taste. But to not realize the nazi comment was sarcastic after it was pointed out that's exacatly what it was is just rediculous.

Brian
10-25-2008, 09:14 PM

I will make this easy for you. Read Post # 44 in this thread.After you have read that post do not come back making excuses for what he himself said.

watchez
10-25-2008, 09:16 PM
From my MSN home page just today:

Following a news conference in Sydney Friday, Lewis, 82, was asked by a Network Ten national TV reporter for his opinion on the Australian nation sport of cricket.

"Oh, cricket? It's a f-- game. What are you, nuts?" Lewis replied. http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx/?news=336376&GT1=28103

So what is wrong with his remark? The man has been a comedian for over 60 years. People need to lighten up.

sydbarret
10-25-2008, 09:18 PM
I will make this easy for you. Read Post # 44 in this thread.After you have read that post do not come back making excuses for what he himself said.

Bro, we are all now familiar with post #44. It was deemed by all to be sarcastic, what else is there to get?

Brian
10-25-2008, 09:26 PM
yea that's my issue. Having his opinion on the comments is fine as some do seem to agree they were in poor taste. But to not realize the nazi comment was sarcastic after it was pointed out that's exacatly what it was is just rediculous.

Want to explain his other gem in Post #88?..."."Who knows maybe he is just Jewish and not a real fan of the game we all love." Read it for yourself along with Post #44.Where in any of his posts prior to exposing himself as a neo nazi did he indicate he was being sarcastic?44 posts after his original proclamation of being a nazi he states that maybe I am just Jewish and not a fan of the game.Answer yourself honestly what kind of person makes those types of statements.Better yet let the neo nazi answer the question.Lets see if he can stand tall and take the heat. We already know who and what he is.

memikey
10-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Just seen this thread.....bizarre.....you couldn't make it up could you? :smile:

Brian.....there is precious little by way of inaccurate stereotyping of jews by any jokes or comments which suggest that many jews are brilliant negotiatiors, because it is an incontrovertible fact that many are. Whether that is negative stereotyping is mainly in the mind of the listener. Indeed the mere fact there is a well founded joke genre about their negotiating skills might be considered as much a compliment as an insult.

You may therefore have to consider looking inwards for at least part of the explanation for your feelings about it. You will certainly do yourself no favours on here by drawing absurdly tenuous connections with WWII, the holocaust and veterans.

It is irrationally serious killjoy attitudes similar to yours which result in things like well meaning do-gooders (usually bearded, sandal wearing tree hugging mature students and the socially inept...there's some genuine stereotyping for you and I make no apology for it) succeeding in bringing about circumstances where references to "Christmas" in some cities in UK are banned or at least discouraged ostensibly so as not to 'offend' muslims and other religious groups (despite the overwhelming majority of these Uk based non-Christians saying they themselves feel no offence whatsoever at the celebration of Christmas) .......while at the same time Christmas celebrations and festivities in the shopping shopping malls and other establishments in the heart of the muslim Middle East are in fact experiencing a huge growth in popularity amongst muslims.

Hu/Ribdoner......several of us upset a whole bunch of penguins at a black tie gents dinner last week. We turned up in full Scottish outfit (with black bow ties of course) and spent the night in good natured alcohol induced heckling of the speaker, a famous former international English rugby player not renowned for his fair treatment of his Scottish opponents during his playing days. We stereotyped him as a sucker punching fairy.....but he took it in good fun:smile:

BRKNRUN
10-25-2008, 09:37 PM
This thread officially needs to be hijacked...

So for all of you who "DON'T" get offended by JOKES...and a few dirty words...click on this link...

If it bothers you....Don't bother clicking...

If you click see if you can actually NOT laugh at some point...

WARNING!!!!!! - LISA LAMPANELLI (in 5th gear)...and as Lisa her self will tell you...Don't try these jokes at home...She is a professional...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Sp24TlWAM

and for good measure cause I know it will happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmvB0vMcssc

Brian
10-25-2008, 09:44 PM
MeMikey:
Thanks for your response.You are entitled to your opinion.I am not sure that your comparison is valid to what has been said in this thread.I am a student of history.The UK has a growing nationalistic movement in response to immagration.It is not favored by the government nor is it tolerated by the majority of citizens.Make no mistake that hate crimes , around the world, are on the rise.That is how it started in the 1930's, small groups of ultra nationalists needing a scapegoat, stereo typing Jews and others.The lessons of the past are clear.It is not an absurdly tenuous connection.Enjoy your Holiday in the U.A.E.

ShootingArts
10-25-2008, 09:48 PM
. . . Hu/Ribdoner......several of us upset a whole bunch of penguins at a black tie gents dinner last week. We turned up in full Scottish outfit (with black bow ties of course) and spent the night in good natured alcohol induced heckling of the speaker, a famous former international English rugby player not renowned for his fair treatment of his Scottish opponents during his playing days. We stereotyped him as a sucker punching fairy.....but he took it in good fun:smile:

Mike,

Sounds like the speaker was an OK guy, at least off the field. As for the folks at a formal event upset at a little good natured heckling when the speaker wasn't, sticking pins in the pompous is one of my joys in life.

Hu

memikey
10-25-2008, 09:48 PM
MeMikey:
Thanks for your response.You are entitled to your opinion.I am not sure that your comparison is valid to what has been said in this thread.I am a student of history.The UK has a growing nationalistic movement in response to immagration.It is not favored by the government nor is it tolerated by the majority of citizens.Make no mistake that hate crimes , around the world, are on the rise.That is how it started in the 1930's, small groups of ultra nationalists needing a scapegoat, stereo typing Jews and others.The lessons of the past are clear.It is not an absurdly tenuous connection.Enjoy your Holiday in the U.A.E.

Agree to disagree. Alas, 20 years in UAE and 30+ in total in Middle East is a longer 'holiday' than even a disgustingly rich tax dodger like me could afford :smile:

Brian
10-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I am done for tonight with this thread.For the uninformed perhaps checking out information from the Simon Wiesenthal Center would be enlightning.For the neo nazi lindstorm and his supporters and apology to this forum and contribution to the Wiesenthal Center would be a good start towards redemption.

Dr. Dissent
10-25-2008, 10:13 PM

Barry Milliken

Bad rep to you !!!!

berlowmj
10-25-2008, 10:34 PM

Brian

Please make a list so that nobody inadvertently violates your boycott.

The label "PC" is merely an excuse to undermine the historical progress we have made in the struggle against bigotry & genocide, which are merely ends of a continuum. The Holocaust began with the pseudo science sponsored by the Pioneer Fund, which still exists today. It was fueled by verbal assaults, beatings, & vandalism against Jewish stores. All this was then codified in laws which rendered Jews non-persons & ended with the crematoriums.

The perspective of the nazis is that WW2 was merely a battle lost in a war which continues. Forest fires are prevented by stamping out sparks.

These people are like rotten onions. You peel away the anti-Semitism & find layers of racism & peel those away & find sexism until you get to the rotten core.

If it smells like sh-t, you don't need to taste it or step in it for confirmation!

"Never again"!!!!!

ribdoner
10-25-2008, 10:37 PM
"i'll wash my hands of it"

berlowmj
10-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Another guy with 10 posts comes on here *****in about a guy who runs the best tournament in the U.S. and possibly in the world.

Hell I'm a nazi and I love Barry whether he's a Jew or not.

Sure hope we can stop running him up a flagpole based on a comment he made about the price of selling a poolroom.

You PC people need to give it a break and lighten up.

Kevin

Since you use a lower case n to designate this vermin, I presume you are merely speaking "tongue in cheek." However, you should clarify the validity of your claim.

berlowmj
10-25-2008, 10:49 PM
I am done for tonight with this thread.For the uninformed perhaps checking out information from the Simon Wiesenthal Center would be enlightning.For the neo nazi lindstorm and his supporters and apology to this forum and contribution to the Wiesenthal Center would be a good start towards redemption.

Your suggestion is quite generous. In addition to checking out the Wiesenthal Center, a look at the Southern Poverty Law Center website www.splc.org will provide data making it abundantly clear that the neo-nazi movement in the U.S. is ubiquitous & rapidly growing.

The current economic crisis provides the most volatile fuel.

berlowmj
10-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I guess when I make dog eating jokes I'm REALLY insulting my ancestors for falling under Japanese control.

Do you see how much sense you're lacking?

Barry's past has nothing to do with our stance on his remarks, which by the way, were NOT racist. Watch a black or Asian or Hispanic comic and tell me how many times they poke fun at stereotypes. I guess we should all walk around angry with chips on our shoulders. :rollseyes:

*Responded via mobile after an intense hockey match so pleas excuse any grammatical errors.

Before you roll your eyes too far, you might want to deal with the fact that homophobia is an integral component of nazi ideology.

Comics who make fun of their own people are merely manifesting the pathology of "internalized oppression." Therefor, Woody Allen & Jack Benny are included on my ignore list.

For an explication of the construct of "internalized oppression" check out the work of the Algerian psychiatrist- Franz Fanon. See also Paulo Friere.

Brian
10-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Berlowmj:
Thank you for your posts.
Brian

Southern Poverty Law Center...http://www.splcenter.org/index.jsp

mikepage
10-26-2008, 06:47 AM
I guess when I make dog eating jokes I'm REALLY insulting my ancestors for falling under Japanese control.[...]

Those of you talking about whether Jews should or should not be offended or whether people need kid-gloves to avoid offending people or etc. have missed (or dismissed) the point I was trying to make. My concern is the effects of these sorts of comments not on Jews, but rather on non-Jews.

Here is my personal history.

I grew up in a suburb of New York City on the working class side of town; My neighborhood consisted largely of second-generation Italian immigrants. Up and through 6th grade I didn't know any Jews. They were mysterious people who didn't celebrate Christmas.

In 7th grade we were to merge with the other side --the largely Jewish side-- of town at a new school. So during 6th grade we began to hear things about Jews. The one I remember is they were cheap and penny pinching, that they would pick up pennies off the ground. These and similar stereotypes continued through the summer.

After the schools joined in the fall, a group of kids from my side of town would hang out at a high-traffic intersection in the junior high school near the lockers. When a Jew would pass, they would throw a penny on the ground and wait to see whether the Jew kid would pick it up.

After a few Jew kids just put their heads down trying to ignore the scene, this group began blocking the way of the passing Jew and demanding the kid pick up the penny. As the kid was picking up the penny, several would chant "Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew."

This group of tough guys began demanding the random Jew kid stand at the intersection with many people passing, rub his belly and pat his head while repeating "I am a Jew, I am a Jew."

To me this was just the way it was. I knew it was mean, and I knew it was wrong. But part of me was just relieved it wasn't happening to me.

That was suburban NYC circa 1967.

As to the stereotypes, It's not so much whether any particular stereotype was bad or negative or whatever; rather, it was the existence and strength of those stereotypes that made it so easy to condemn these people as a group. It took away from our responsibility to see people as individuals. It was bad stuff, imo. You take some of that bad stuff and you throw on top of it bad economic times, and the result can be pretty ugly.

TX Poolnut
10-26-2008, 06:51 AM
For what it's worth, those of us who paid for the US Open final PPV yesterday got to see Barry acknowledge his mistake after reading this thread and he apologized several times for any offense that was taken.

mikepage
10-26-2008, 07:17 AM
For what it's worth, those of us who paid for the US Open final PPV yesterday got to see Barry acknowledge his mistake after reading this thread and he apologized several times for any offense that was taken.

I'm glad to hear that. I suggest we move on.

ShootingArts
10-26-2008, 07:25 AM

I do think his remarks were without malice. I also think that such remarks are ill conceived as Mike Page, myself, and others have pointed out. After they were made all he can do is sincerely apologize and try to correct his words in the future. His apologies should close the matter.

Hu

Craig
10-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I figured someone would say something as soon as I heard him make the comments.

(In jest) Undoubtably he is a jew if he thinks he can get $2.75 mil for a billiard business and doesn't even own the building.................. he would need a mask and gun to pull that off.

:)

Took the words right out of my mouth, without realestate, its only worth pennies on the dollar.

But who cares what he says, I dont agree with what the idiots on CNN-MSNBC-FOX NEWS say every day either but Im not driving to Atlanta to blow up CNN building.

The way I look at it is until it effects me personally (meaning you're attacking me) or financially I could care less if you cuss you're mother out, thats you're choice find something to do with you're time and quit letting what other people say bother you.

berlowmj
10-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Those of you talking about whether Jews should or should not be offended or whether people need kid-gloves to avoid offending people or etc. have missed (or dismissed) the point I was trying to make. My concern is the effects of these sorts of comments not on Jews, but rather on non-Jews.

I grew up in a suburb of New York City on the working class side of town; My neighborhood consisted largely of second-generation Italian immigrants. Up and through 6th grade I didn't know any Jews. They were mysterious people who didn't celebrate Christmas.

In 7th grade we were to merge with the other side --the largely Jewish side-- of town at a new school. So during 6th grade we began to hear things about Jews. The one I remember is they were cheap and penny pinching, that they would pick up pennies off the ground. These and similar stereotypes continued through the summer.

After the schools joined in the fall, a group of kids from my side of town would hang out at a high-traffic intersection in the junior high school near the lockers. When a Jew would pass, they would throw a penny on the ground and wait to see whether the Jew kid would pick it up.

After a few Jew kids just put their heads down trying to ignore the scene, this group began blocking the way of the passing Jew and demanding the kid pick up the penny. As the kid was picking up the penny, several would chant "Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew."

This group of tough guys began demanding the random Jew kid stand at the intersection with many people passing, rub his belly and pat his head while repeating "I am a Jew, I am a Jew."

To me this was just the way it was. I knew it was mean, and I knew it was wrong. But part of me was just relieved it wasn't happening to me.

As to the stereotypes, It's not so much whether any particular stereotype was bad or negative or whatever; rather, it was the existence and strength of those stereotypes that made it so easy to condemn these people as a group. It took away from our responsibility to see people as individuals. It was bad stuff, imo. You take some of that bad stuff and you throw on top of it bad economic times, and the result can be pretty ugly.

Mike's anecdote is powerful, sensitive, & moving. Obviously, this was a chapter he wanted to forget, but he was caring enough to recreate it for our enlightenment.

There has been a great deal of debate around claims by Germans that they were unaware of the Holocaust. This debate was put to rest in Morse's book While Six Million Died. Morse makes it abundantly clear that even the "liberal" Roosevelt administration was well aware of the Holocaust & the events leading up to it. However, immigration quotas remained in place and our people were exterminated. The vast majority of Jewish leaders in the U.S. silenced protest against FDR in a quest for assimilation.

The vast majority of people do not actively support racist reactionary policies, but remain silent while a minority of thugs implement these policies. This model can be applied from Berlin to Birmingham, from Rawanda to Darfor, Iraq to Afghanistan...

Neil
10-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Mike: I'm sure that to some that read your post, especially the OP and two others, that you made the definitive arguement on their behalf. But I don't buy it for a second.

EVERYBODY, including Brian, you, the OP, me, we ALL stereotype. It's a part of human nature. Some is good, some is bad. But, there is no getting away from it. What the story you related is about is bullies. They happen everywhere. Yours just happened to pick on a jewish kid that time. When I grew up, I was the object of scorn to the bullies, and it carried over from them to a lot of the school because they had the loud mouths and people found life better to agree with them, than to go against them.

Care to guess what my object of scorn was?? Nothing more than that I was smaller than the other guys, and was very skinny. I went for years with people not even knowing my real name, they just called me what the bullies did. Eventually, I got sick of it and fought back. I stood up to the bullies. And, it did mean literally fighting. I ended up knocking the daylights out of one of the bigger bullies and he never got a chance to lay a hand on me. Turns out most bullies turn into chickens when they are really confronted.

That episode didn't make me any more popular, but at least people left me alone. And whenever I see a group needlessly picking on another, I still jump in to help the one.

Since we all sterotype, does that make it O.K.? No, but it doesn't make it wrong either. It all depends on the what and why of it. Only idiots and children will take a stereotype and think that it is a law set in stone and judge all of that 'type' exactly the same. And it's up[ to the parents to teach children to know the difference. It does give one certain insights sometimes into what the person may generally be like.

For example, I'm not about to ask a friend who I know is a Jew to come over for dinner and tell him we are having a great honey roasted ham. I know from the stereotype to first ask him if he eats ham. Neither I, you, or Brian are about to go walking through the 'black' neighborhoods at night. Why? Because we all believe the stereotype that we have a very good chance of getting into some serious trouble if we do.

In a utopian world, there would not be any stereotypes. But, until that happens, we all have to live in the reality of this world. So, that begs the question of how to deal with it.

It is VERY obvious when someone means a stereotype as something derogatory. And, in those cases, something should be said or done to educate the person. In many cases, our differences are used as a source of humor. Nothing wrong with that when done in good taste. If you can't laugh at yourself, you will have a difficult time going through life. I'm Dutch. This city used to have a LOT of Dutch in it. They also were known for being frugal. That label doesn't bother me in the least. Why should it? Asians are known for strong family ties.

Each person should always be taken as an individual. And judged according to what type of person they are. (And yes, everybody always judge other people) But to take any comment someone makes about a stereotype and condemn them just for making a stereotype is both intellectually immature and foolish. Stereotypes are not something that is ever going to go away. So you might as well have fun with them instead of using them to create hate and dissension. Which is what the OP and Brian are trying to accomplish. T;hey say they think it is vile and repugnant, yet they do exactly the same thing. They are stereotyping all people that use stereotypes into a hate category that will wipe out the world like Hitler tried to wipe out the Jews. Personally, I think that Brian is closer to being like Hitler than he realizes. I think his motives are good, but he can't see the forest for the trees. And thereby wants to annihilate something that he finds offensive.

And, Brian, you talk about the history of the Jews. Maybe you need to go back much farther in history to find out why the world in general seems to have been against them. You might be surprised. And, before I get accused of not liking the jews, it just so happens I am for them. Study your history a little better and find out why Hitler was against the jews. It had nothing to do with stereotyping, by the way.

Bottom line, parents- teach your children the difference between good and bad stereotyping. Parents, don't be so anal in your thinking that you can't have some fun with who we all are. You will live longer with some humor in your life.

Purdman
10-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Brian

If you are in your mid 50's, you should stop using mood altering chemicals as soon as possible. You ceased to grow emotionally when you started. By reading your post, you started at about 12 years old.:thumbup:
Get some therapy and I suggest some time well spent at a good rehabilitation center. Best wishes on your recovery Brian.
Purd

watchez
10-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Mike: I'm sure that to some that read your post, especially the OP and two others, that you made the definitive arguement on their behalf. But I don't buy it for a second.

EVERYBODY, including Brian, you, the OP, me, we ALL stereotype. It's a part of human nature. Some is good, some is bad. But, there is no getting away from it. What the story you related is about is bullies. They happen everywhere. Yours just happened to pick on a jewish kid that time. When I grew up, I was the object of scorn to the bullies, and it carried over from them to a lot of the school because they had the loud mouths and people found life better to agree with them, than to go against them.

Care to guess what my object of scorn was?? Nothing more than that I was smaller than the other guys, and was very skinny. I went for years with people not even knowing my real name, they just called me what the bullies did. Eventually, I got sick of it and fought back. I stood up to the bullies. And, it did mean literally fighting. I ended up knocking the daylights out of one of the bigger bullies and he never got a chance to lay a hand on me. Turns out most bullies turn into chickens when they are really confronted.

That episode didn't make me any more popular, but at least people left me alone. And whenever I see a group needlessly picking on another, I still jump in to help the one.

Since we all sterotype, does that make it O.K.? No, but it doesn't make it wrong either. It all depends on the what and why of it. Only idiots and children will take a stereotype and think that it is a law set in stone and judge all of that 'type' exactly the same. And it's up[ to the parents to teach children to know the difference. It does give one certain insights sometimes into what the person may generally be like.

For example, I'm not about to ask a friend who I know is a Jew to come over for dinner and tell him we are having a great honey roasted ham. I know from the stereotype to first ask him if he eats ham. Neither I, you, or Brian are about to go walking through the 'black' neighborhoods at night. Why? Because we all believe the stereotype that we have a very good chance of getting into some serious trouble if we do.

In a utopian world, there would not be any stereotypes. But, until that happens, we all have to live in the reality of this world. So, that begs the question of how to deal with it.

It is VERY obvious when someone means a stereotype as something derogatory. And, in those cases, something should be said or done to educate the person. In many cases, our differences are used as a source of humor. Nothing wrong with that when done in good taste. If you can't laugh at yourself, you will have a difficult time going through life. I'm Dutch. This city used to have a LOT of Dutch in it. They also were known for being frugal. That label doesn't bother me in the least. Why should it? Asians are known for strong family ties.

Each person should always be taken as an individual. And judged according to what type of person they are. (And yes, everybody always judge other people) But to take any comment someone makes about a stereotype and condemn them just for making a stereotype is both intellectually immature and foolish. Stereotypes are not something that is ever going to go away. So you might as well have fun with them instead of using them to create hate and dissension. Which is what the OP and Brian are trying to accomplish. T;hey say they think it is vile and repugnant, yet they do exactly the same thing. They are stereotyping all people that use stereotypes into a hate category that will wipe out the world like Hitler tried to wipe out the Jews. Personally, I think that Brian is closer to being like Hitler than he realizes. I think his motives are good, but he can't see the forest for the trees. And thereby wants to annihilate something that he finds offensive.

And, Brian, you talk about the history of the Jews. Maybe you need to go back much farther in history to find out why the world in general seems to have been against them. You might be surprised. And, before I get accused of not liking the jews, it just so happens I am for them. Study your history a little better and find out why Hitler was against the jews. It had nothing to do with stereotyping, by the way.

Bottom line, parents- teach your children the difference between good and bad stereotyping. Parents, don't be so anal in your thinking that you can't have some fun with who we all are. You will live longer with some humor in your life.

Well stated Neil.

The problem is that when someone like Barry makes comments in an interview it adds to the legitimacy of these sterotypes. And to leave it in the hands of parents in the USA to teach their children - well I guess you haven't been to the mall lately and see how a majority of people mentor their children. I'll stereotype the American public as a whole - dumb, lazy, ill equipped to raise children or think for themselves without someone telling them how to act. It is scarey that many will be voting in less than 2 weeks.

jay helfert
10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
I just returned from the Open today. Once again it was a great tournament with a high quality field of players and a very deserving champion. I had a good time for the most part, fraternizing with many players who are long time friends, meeting many AZ'ers, and even working on some matches racking balls and calling hits. I was in the thick of it all week.

Barry Behrman has been my friend for more than 30 years and I have worked with him on several tournaments in the past including the U.S. Open. Our relationship has had it's share of ups and downs, but we remain friends to this day. Sometimes in the course of a long friendship feelings do get hurt.

What I do know about Barry is that number one he loves pool and the pool players. Pool has been his life since he was a young man, just like me. In that respect our lives have followed a similar path, owning pool rooms and putting on tournaments. We both enjoy good pool and a good time in no particular order.

I do hope Barry has read this thread just to see how his words have elicited such a diverse response. When we are "public" figures we must chose our words carefully because what we say will be dissected. I have been guilty of inappropriate remarks myself, as all of you know. NONE of us are without sin, and have said and done things we regret later. Barry tends to shoot from the hip when he is talking and that has gotten him into hot water more than once. I can relate!

I will post this and continue in a second post.

jay helfert
10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Like Barry I am Jewish, and know what it is like to feel bigotry. As a young boy growing up in Dayton, Ohio I was also subjected to mean spirited remarks such as "Jew boy" and "Christ killer". More than once I was afraid of bigger kids who picked on me because of my religion (which I did not chose) and the fact that my family was well to do (my father was a surgeon and Chief of Staff at two area hospitals).

I was tormented more than once and had to fight to defend myself on several occasions, even being attacked by an older boy with a chain one time. I learned early on how ugly racism and bigotry was. It is a plague that continues to be at the heart of many wars and atrocities. Until we human beings are civilized and realize how alike we all are, we will remain a flawed species. My personal belief is that until the day comes that we travel about in the Universe and meet other far different life forms, we won't get the message that human beings are a unique creation, and all very closely related. Maybe eons away I'm sad to say.

In the meantime, I do feel a little pinge in my stomach every time ANYONE makes an anti-semitic remark. It just reinforces a negative stereotype that I would like to see disappear from our society. I am proud of my Judiasm now, and have come to embrace it after all these years. I have discovered the many good deeds Jews have done to enrich the lives of others. What I know now, is that many Jews have made enormous contributions to life on this planet and continue to do so. To see them stereotyped as greedy or selfish rankles me.

The difference now is I can handle such remarks and have patience with the person delivering them, uninformed though they may be. True there have been some brilliant comics who knew just how to turn bigotry into a form of humor, and I enjoy this as much as anyone. But most of us don't have their skill of delivery and timing. It's a fine line they walk, and only the most skilled can do it. I sure can't, so I don't try.

swrooster
10-26-2008, 03:19 PM
"i'll wash my hands of it"
At least Barry won't be crucified over this.

Mr. Wilson
10-26-2008, 03:41 PM
I'm not going to wallow in this with a couple of you.

Quit being so sensitive.

If you can't accept someone else's comments on the topic, don't post to inflame.

If you truly believe someone broke the "rules" report it to me ( Brian ) as you've done.

I read it and chose not to act, which doesn't give you any liscense to try and police the matter yourself.

Get on topic and move on guys. Not going to be real humorous about this.

SJDinPHX
10-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Like Barry I am Jewish, and know what it is like to feel bigotry. As a young boy growing up in Dayton, Ohio I was also subjected to mean spirited remarks such as "Jew boy" and "Christ killer". More than once I was afraid of bigger kids who picked on me because of my religion (which I did not chose) and the fact that my family was well to do (my father was a surgeon and Chief of Staff at two area hospitals).

I was tormented more than once and had to fight to defend myself on several occasions, even being attacked by an older boy with a chain one time. I learned early on how ugly racism and bigotry was. It is a plague that continues to be at the heart of many wars and atrocities. Until we human beings are civilized and realize how alike we all are, we will remain a flawed species. My personal belief is that until the day comes that we travel about in the Universe and meet other far different life forms, we won't get the message that human beings are a unique creation, and all very closely related. Maybe eons away I'm sad to say.

In the meantime, I do feel a little pinge in my stomach every time ANYONE makes an anti-semitic remark. It just reinforces a negative stereotype that I would like to see disappear from our society. I am proud of my Judiasm now, and have come to embrace it after all these years. I have discovered the many good deeds Jews have done to enrich the lives of others. What I know now, is that many Jews have made enormous contributions to life on this planet and continue to do so. To see them stereotyped as greedy or selfish rankles me.

The difference now is I can handle such remarks and have patience with the person delivering them, uninformed though they may be. True there have been some brilliant comics who knew just how to turn bigotry into a form of humor, and I enjoy this as much as anyone. But most of us don't have their skill of delivery and timing. It's a fine line they walk, and only the most skilled can do it. I sure can't, so I don't try.

Well said Jay. I am of Irish descent and I'm sure you know what my people endured when the big influx came around the turn of the century.(the 20th)
My dad died when I was 7. My mother remarried some years later to a guy
who became a great influence on my life. I could not have wished for a better "stand in" father. How I wound up a gambler still amazes me. He was not a particularly religious man, but the life lessons he taught me were invaluable. Thanks to him, my lifelong friends have been (in no particular order) Hispanic, Black, Jewish, and Asian.
As you know, there are bad apples in every barrell. But if you learn early on to respect ALL human beings, you will live a happier life than those who deal in racism and bigotry. We are all in this thing together.

Dick