PDA

View Full Version : A Canadian Legend

Mike Porter
10-25-2008, 09:07 AM
I was going through my collection and thought I would post this. Hopefully everyone can name the man standing in this picture.

Mike

sly
10-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I was going through my collection and thought I would post this. Hopefully everyone can name the man standing in this picture.

Mike
is that chenier?

Mike Porter
10-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Yes, perhaps the first or second best Canada has produced.

Mike

maldito
10-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Chenier ran 150 and out in the 60's against Irving Crane in a world 14.1 tournament.

srs314
10-26-2008, 02:24 PM
That's a great picture!

Mike Porter
10-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Joe Davis was given something of god status in Europe due to being undefeated.
Chenier went to England to play an exhibition match against Davis and he set the world high run record with a run of 144. The British could not believe that someone other than JD could accomplish this, let alone a foreigner. The British refused to recognize the run as a record until Davis had exceeded it a week or two later. Due to this Chenier swore he would never venture to England again.

My recount of the story could be off a bit, but the gist of it is right.

Mike

maldito
10-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Joe Davis was given something of god status in Europe due to being undefeated.
Chenier went to England to play an exhibition match against Davis and he set the world high run record with a run of 144. The British could not believe that someone other than JD could accomplish this, let alone a foreigner. The British refused to recognize the run as a record until Davis had exceeded it a week or two later. Due to this Chenier swore he would never venture to England again.

My recount of the story could be off a bit, but the gist of it is right.

Mike

Sounds right - interesting that Joe Davis was originally world champ at English billiards but lost two world matches to the great Australian Walter Lindrum in 33 - 34 and then Davis switched to Snooker as Lindrum was unbeatable at English billiards.