PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Help...everyone

Texas Prez
10-25-2008, 11:32 AM
As I have posted before I am the President of The University of Texas Billiards Club. Currently we are NOT sponsored by the University. Later this month I am going to re-apply for sponsorship and this is what I need from you:

I want to use this blog as evidence that we should be sponsored. So just post why you think The University of Texas should or should not sponsor our Billiards Club.

You can also post anything you recollect from your experience if you played for a college club at some time.

Any posts are welcome and any position on this matter is welcome (If you do not think we should be sponsored please to give your two cents too!)

Thank You All and Hook'em Horns!

Sweet Marissa
10-25-2008, 12:12 PM
I fully support the University of Texas sponsoring a Billiard Club for its students. Out of high school, I was an awkward and shy teenager, and playing pool helped me learn to interact with others. As I grew as a player, my confidence in myself did, as well. I even won the first tournament I played in!

I am now a business owner and would not be where I am today without the traits I developed playing pool years ago.

Marissa Yi
www.marissafoto.com

Cuebuddy
10-25-2008, 12:28 PM
With two boys about to go to collage I have been thinking about collegiate sports. They have been involved in soccer for 12 years, football, basketball, baseball and they compete in skiing. They also play pool and I haven't heard allot about billiards in higher education. I believe that it used to be common. It might still be but I don't here much about it. I would love to see it be promoted at the collegiate level to help the game and the people who are associated with it. It would no doubt help the art of billiards out of the dull drums and stimulate thousands of young minds.

Da Bank
10-25-2008, 12:50 PM
shouldn't you be wasted at the tailgate before the Horns stomp the Cowboys???

bfdlad
10-25-2008, 01:02 PM
As I have posted before I am the President of The University of Texas Billiards Club. Currently we are NOT sponsored by the University. Later this month I am going to re-apply for sponsorship and this is what I need from you:

I want to use this blog as evidence that we should be sponsored. So just post why you think The University of Texas should or should not sponsor our Billiards Club.

You can also post anything you recollect from your experience if you played for a college club at some time.

Any posts are welcome and any position on this matter is welcome (If you do not think we should be sponsored please to give your two cents too!)

Even though the reputation of pool and billiards (from the old days) isn't the kind that you would really want to be associated with a school. If you look at the current players who are world champions etc, most of them do not drink, smoke, or do drugs. Already this is a different vision of the smokey pool hall right? Smoking is banned in most pool rooms anymore and so we have a clean enviroment with more and more top players who are just as clean and work out on a daily basis. Put alng with this that there is a need for sportsmanship, integrity, professional attitude, Geometry, problem solving, patience, dedication and overall mind and body coordination it sure don't sound like the image some people may have about the sport.

Texas Prez
10-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Great post guys...and due to a philosophy paper I sold my ticket this week...I know...I'm retarded. But you gotta do what you gotta do and I think last week I tailgated enough for both games!!!!

Texas Prez
10-25-2008, 05:42 PM
anyone else remember the college days??

AnitoKid
10-26-2008, 06:39 AM
Indeed! Pool is more than just pool!

:)

I am now a business owner and would not be where I am today without the traits I developed playing pool years ago.

Marissa Yi
www.marissafoto.com

Island Drive
10-26-2008, 09:21 AM

I would contact Laura Smith for some suggestions/ideas, she is the CEO for the BEF (Billiard Education Foundation) in Colorado, its supported by the Billiard Congress of America.

Texas Prez
10-26-2008, 09:31 AM
really good suggestion! thanks! :)

mnorwood
10-26-2008, 10:35 AM
There is no reason for the University not to sponsor you. Billiards is sport that has been around for hundreds of years. It requires physical ability, knowledge and critical thinking. Billiards is a great social game and something that people can do for a lifetime. I have always viewed UT as being a progressive institution that embraces diversity. Sponsoring a billiards team would be consistent with that. Be persistent, be patient, it will happen.

Regards,
Marcus