PDA

View Full Version : Is old 1971 Adam cue collectable?

slimjim
04-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Hello all.I'm new here.I have recently got back into playing and had my brother ship me my old cue.I sent photos to Adam-they said they could give me model number.It has no markings,but I remembered the logo which was on a gold paper label.It was the same adam uses now.It was bought in late 1971 for my 18th birthday.I never missed more than 1 day a year playing at that time and worth anything or not I got my moneys worth from this stick.My question is I've read good and bad things about adam cues,so do you think this might qualify as a collectable cue?
I may post photo later,but for now am just curiose about adam cues in general.Thanks.

MrLucky
04-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Hello all.I'm new here.I have recently got back into playing and had my brother ship me my old cue.I sent photos to Adam-they said they could give me model number.It has no markings,but I remembered the logo which was on a gold paper label.It was the same adam uses now.It was bought in late 1971 for my 18th birthday.I never missed more than 1 day a year playing at that time and worth anything or not I got my moneys worth from this stick.My question is I've read good and bad things about adam cues,so do you think this might qualify as a collectable cue?
I may post photo later,but for now am just curiose about adam cues in general.Thanks.

there are several others here that know far more than I about that, but as far as the cue yours was one of the real adams! the company was bought by a asian conglomerate for its name and the balabushka name and is no longer the same! :cool:

TATE
04-06-2005, 01:07 PM

The old Adam cues were good playing cues. That's a really early one. I had one from the mid 1980's -paid $100 for it new.

There is not too much collectible value in the old Adam cues except for the fancy ones, which might be worth $300 - $600 or so. The typical plain 4 pointers sell for about $100 - $200. Since yours is such an early cue it might sell for more. It might be harder to sell it without the lion logo.

Chris

ceebee
04-06-2005, 01:10 PM

I have had several Adam cues. The originals were very nicely made. A good straight inlayed Adam cue is always an occasion for interest. Please post a picture, maybe I'd be interested in purchasing the cue from you. I particularly like the ornate ones.

Purdman
04-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I have had several Adam cues. The originals were very nicely made. A good straight inlayed Adam cue is always an occasion for interest. Please post a picture, maybe I'd be interested in purchasing the cue from you. I particularly like the ornate ones.

I am looking for an old "Monaco" Adams. We burried the last one I saw with my friend Stewdini.
Purdman

JPB
04-06-2005, 01:49 PM

I've always wanted an adams from that era. Have not seen the perfect one yet for sale. Probably not super collectible, but nice relatively cheap cues

drivermaker
04-06-2005, 02:06 PM
I am looking for an old "Monaco" Adams. We burried the last one I saw with my friend Stewdini.
Purdman

I have a "Ritz"...is that close enough. The thing is super solid, moreso than all of my other production cues. We're talking 20 some years ago or so, but I swear they made cues better then. I guess it was the supply of wood.

ceebee
04-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I have a "Ritz"...is that close enough. The thing is super solid, moreso than all of my other production cues. We're talking 20 some years ago or so, but I swear they made cues better then. I guess it was the supply of wood.

I have bought & sold 2 GREAT Adam "Ritz" Cues. One of them I swear was a MAGIC Wand, but my personal friend wanted it, so I sold it.

I am selling my last Adam Cue, I'll post it here first before I go to ebay. It is definitely one of a kind...

I have to have an operation on my knees before i can really start playing again... my knees are gone...

TATE
04-06-2005, 02:51 PM
I have bought & sold 2 GREAT Adam "Ritz" Cues. One of them I swear was a MAGIC Wand, but my personal friend wanted it, so I sold it.

I am selling my last Adam Cue, I'll post it here first before I go to ebay. It is definitely one of a kind...

I have to have an operation on my knees before i can really start playing again... my knees are gone...

CeeBee,

Sorry to hear about your knee problems, I'm sure you'll be like new in no time.

Loved the break book - good job.

I gather the old Adam cues had a problem with warpage. Mine has a pretty nasty warp in the handle area. It's almost a copy of the Titlist splice - I'm pretty sure it's a full splice but I've never had the wrap off.

I always liked the crisp hit and slightly butt heavy balance of the cue.

Chris

JPB
04-06-2005, 02:52 PM

Yes, please post it here first.

slimjim
04-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies.And yes the butt weight is why I bought it.I never liked the real light sticks.I'll try to post a photo later tonight.I don't know if mine is better or worse then most because it has no wrap.It's all carved surface with black pearl inlay.I liked it better because back then it was nothing to play for 12 or 14 hours straight and the wrapped sticks made my hand sweat more.Thanks.

Celtic
04-06-2005, 05:07 PM
With all the interest in these old Adams cues it seems they are probably undervalued atm and supply and demand will drive the prices up alot. Most of the people saying the cue would not be worth much also say they would like to buy it, think about that. A cue like that is rare, really rare and if people want it then dont go selling it for $300, the same price you pay for a new plain Meucii and less then a plain jane Predator. From what I am hearing I would ask quite alot for that cue, and if people dont pay it they can go without because they are not going to find alot of them out there. Dont sell it cheap and then find out 10-20 years later those cues are getting more then $1000 because the market finally corrects the price.

Troy
04-06-2005, 07:09 PM
I have an Adam from about 1980. No label, but it does have the "LION" in the butt cap. Very plain, Walnut butt (I think) with a "basket weave" pattern in the wrap area instead of a wrap. The original shaft was 10mm so I had two replacement shafts made about 7 years ago.
No, it's NOT for sale... :)

Troy

Purdman
04-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Here are a couple I picked up. Some might say collectable, some not. One thing is for sure, Someone is going to crack on me for posting a picture in this forum. I don't know how old they are. Do you?
Purdman :D

Troy
04-07-2005, 02:03 PM
From what I understand, the "LION" plus "ADAM" on the butt cap is much newer than those with only the "LION".
Also, the smaller "LION" is a newer cue than the larger "LION".

Troy
Here are a couple I picked up. Some might say collectable, some not. One thing is for sure, Someone is going to crack on me for posting a picture in this forum. I don't know how old they are. Do you?
Purdman :D