PDA

View Full Version : UGH!!! What's wrong with people??!!

Brklyn
10-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Okay - I'm playing in a 9-ball tourney today, race to 6 and I'm up 5-0. I'm playing some of the best pool I've ever played, and really felt like I was in the "zone". I broke rack 6 and didn't make a ball, so I go sit. A player from another table, who was in his own match, walked over to me to tell me that I wasn't breaking from the box, which I honestly did not realize. I freaking flipped out! Not verbally, but mentally. I totally lost my focus and before I knew it I was missing straight-in 1 foot shots. Needless to say, I lost the match 6-5. I'm usually pretty good at blocking out outside interference, people talking or walking around, but this totally took me out of my game. I felt that it was totally inappropriate and none of his business, but I also know he didn't mean anything malicious. I'm sitting there thinking why he couldn't wait until the match was over to tell me, as at 5-0 I wasn't going to break again. And I'm having this entire conversation in my head over and over and over. I was livid.

What would you do in a situation like this to maintain your composure and sense of calm? I was never able to regain my brain and ended up going two and out (yes, I agree - my fault).

After I got knocked out of the tourney, I sort of nicely explained the situation to him and how his actions affected me, and I'm sure he'll never interrupt another player in a match again. Even though it's now a few hours later, I'm still mad.

TX Poolnut
10-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Only you know why you "freaking flipped out."

As you explained it, I don't think I would have been bothered.

gopi-1
10-25-2008, 02:59 PM
You're playing Joe Schmo and you still lost?

GordonRamsay
10-25-2008, 03:01 PM
well... if you weren't breaking from the box and had won...(it was part of the tourney rules right?) wouldn't you have been dq'ed anyway? Granted that wasn't the nicest thing to do by interrupting someone, but I would have called sharking on him...and given that person an award for being the biggest douchebag of the tourney.

mullyman
10-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I can't understand why you let something so little bother you so much that it cost you 6 games in a row. Doesn't sound like that big of a focus killer to me.
MULLY

Bigtruck
10-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Okay - I'm playing in a 9-ball tourney today, race to 6 and I'm up 5-0. I'm playing some of the best pool I've ever played, and really felt like I was in the "zone". I broke rack 6 and didn't make a ball, so I go sit. A player from another table, who was in his own match, walked over to me to tell me that I wasn't breaking from the box, which I honestly did not realize. I freaking flipped out! Not verbally, but mentally. I totally lost my focus and before I knew it I was missing straight-in 1 foot shots. Needless to say, I lost the match 6-5. I'm usually pretty good at blocking out outside interference, people talking or walking around, but this totally took me out of my game. I felt that it was totally inappropriate and none of his business, but I also know he didn't mean anything malicious. I'm sitting there thinking why he couldn't wait until the match was over to tell me, as at 5-0 I wasn't going to break again. And I'm having this entire conversation in my head over and over and over. I was livid.

What would you do in a situation like this to maintain your composure and sense of calm? I was never able to regain my brain and ended up going two and out (yes, I agree - my fault).

After I got knocked out of the tourney, I sort of nicely explained the situation to him and how his actions affected me, and I'm sure he'll never interrupt another player in a match again. Even though it's now a few hours later, I'm still mad.

It all depends on your attitude towards the situation.

If you think it's a big deal, It is and you're affected. If you are thankful and give the informer a wink and a thumbs up, you keep winning.

YOU decide. Period.

Ray
(thinks wrong sometimes too) but not here

********STILL MAKING SUPPORT FOR SMORG BADGES - PM ME

Charlie Hustle
10-25-2008, 04:39 PM
"Mind your business" usually works for me. ;)

Craig Fales
10-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Wow, I'd not have so much focus that I lost from the hill with an opponent with no games.

Shortside K
10-25-2008, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Bigtruck]It all depends on your attitude towards the situation.

If you think it's a big deal, It is and you're affected. If you are thankful and give the informer a wink and a thumbs up, you keep winning.

YOU decide. Period.

Ray
(thinks wrong sometimes too) but not here

I totally agree with your assessment. He may have felt bothered that he had broken the rules and was going to win, possibly because of it.
Upon being advised of his mistakes, he should have advised the tournament director of the situation and let him decide what was to be done. Replay of games, DQ, whatever was appropriate.

Shortside K
10-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Wow, I'd not have so much focus that I lost from the hill with an opponent with no games.

Don't kid yourself... you WILL lose a match like this someday.

Jule
10-25-2008, 06:13 PM
I think the title should be "What's wrong with me?". IMHO it's 100% your fault that you lost that game. No offense, just MHO.

Ed Simmons
10-25-2008, 11:05 PM
So now I know how to shark you!

If I offer you constuctive criticism during a match you will meltdown.

I think your signature rings truer than you think....

MattS
10-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Were you supossed to break from the box? If so your lucky nobody turned you in to the TD. You owe that guy a huge apology. The question is what is wrong with you? so basicaly your cheating and sombody points it out to you. Not to bust you but to bring it to your attention and then you cave and throw a tantrum. You have zero right to be mad at him. Its all 100% on you!

ShootingArts
10-26-2008, 12:07 AM
You are still mad but are you really mad at the person that told you that you weren't breaking from the box? I don't get it, but I demand perfection from myself in competition and if I don't do everything very close to the level I should I get quite annoyed with myself although I can usually box it in and ignore it until after the competition.

I suspect that why you are really upset is that you were making a mistake that you should have not been making, something you knew better than doing.

Speaking of which, I know better than to talk this way to a lady while she is still mad.

Hu(ducking low and dodging fast!)

Pinocchio
10-26-2008, 12:30 AM
No mental game an you get to go to the losers brackets with your buds.
Pinocchio

poolhustler
10-26-2008, 01:01 AM
I can't see how or why that would bother you so much.

It wouldn't have bothered me in the least.

Rod
10-26-2008, 01:43 AM
On the short side -- you have very little composure and you don't know where to break from. League play at its finest.

Rod

Deadon
10-26-2008, 02:35 AM
The answer to your question is "Never lose your composure" Period.

sixpack
10-26-2008, 02:38 AM

This has happened to everyone. Me more times than I care to remember.

The truth is, if you're looking for a way to lose, any old excuse will do.

~rc

JimS
10-26-2008, 02:50 AM
You need to learn how to talk to your self, how to calm your self. It's all part of being in competition repeatedly. Practice it by playing in league or gambling frequently. You learn how to calm the wild horses in your head, get them into a heard and lead them into the corral without a whimper.

It's ok to have butterflys in your stomach.... you just learn how to make the little bastards fly in formation. :groucho:

Some deep breathing through the nose, relaxing the upper body and neck muscles when exhaling and some calming words that you come up with on your own.. your words that work for you, these are the keys to being master of your emotions.

As you practice these methods you slowly realize that there is nothing in the world outside of you that has the power to control your mind. You are the master of your self. You can do this all day long by not letting anything cause you to act out your emotions and then finding ways to vent the emotional pressure in a more productive and troublefree manner.

TX Poolnut
10-26-2008, 05:38 AM
This is going to be a changing day in your life.

ShootingArts
10-26-2008, 07:46 AM
A good constructive post. When I need to regroup, I take a bathroom break. The primary reason, maybe the only reason, is to go to the sink and wash my face and hands with the coldest water I can find. A bottle of cold water from the cooler isn't a bad idea although you may get a funny look toting it in the bathroom! This gives me a few minutes to give myself a little self talk about cranial anal inversion, the cold water makes me feel much more alert, and the whole process gives me the feeling of starting fresh. The cue slides through a clean dry bridge a little better too.

I learned this purely by accident but Jackie Gleason does the same thing in The Hustler right before he commences wiping the floor with Paul Newman the first time around. Not sure where they got that from but Jackie was the most believable pool player I have ever seen on film and rumor has it he had a good game in real life.

Hu

As a former room owner, I watched this happen to many people. Various reasons destroy your focus. It is more important to understand that it takes everything you have mentally to bring it together after you first notice it is happening to you. If you can take a break take it fast and bring yourself together. I once had money on the line and noticed myself missing easy shots that would put the match in the history books. I sat down after a shot an told myself no more of this B.S. Once it was my turn again, I walking into the restroom and looked into the mirror to regain my focus and opened the door to the pool room and looked across the room to the table and said to myself do not leave this room unless you are ready to pull everything together. I stood in the door for about 15 seconds then walked out to finish and bring home the cash. If you feel it early, stay in the chair and focus then stand and unless there is a shot clock you are not using your one break. Once I had to put down my cue to break up a fight and toss a guy out comming back only needing to breathe in twice before picking up the cue and getting back to work. Different things do different things to each person find you way to recover. Scooter from OKC sold me a case with a keychain that said "Life's Rough, Lighten UP!" I still use that keychain today.
I hope you find something to work for you soon.

Snapshot9
10-26-2008, 08:35 AM
your name Murphy? You must have been pretty lucky to have been up 5-0.

If something this 'small' tips the pot over with you, you're lucky to win any matches at all.

androd
10-26-2008, 10:09 AM
This has happened to everyone. Me more times than I care to remember.

The truth is, if you're looking for a way to lose, any old excuse will do.

~rc
tap tap tap
your ed zachery right my friend. this forum is full of players alway getting sharked by something, this is the answer to all of them. toughen up! quit looking for an excuse.

grindz
10-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Watch "The Hustler" over and over and over again until you see the light.

td

ironman
10-26-2008, 04:04 PM

Know the rules.