PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup Team Europe

Renegade
10-26-2008, 08:47 AM
I just noticed, Europe holds just about every world championships in cue-sports at the moment.

World 9 ball Champion - Daryl Peach UK
World 8 ball Champion - Ralf Souqet Germany
World 14.1 ball Champion - Niels Feijen Holland
World 10 ball Champion - Darren Appelton UK
World Snooker Champion - Ronnie O'Sullivan UK
World Professional (English) Billiards Champion - Mike Russell UK

So with the Iceman cometh, who among this year's batch of champions will make it to the European Mosconi cup team?

A Peach, Souquet, Feijen, Appleton, and Immonen team looks very hard to beat....especially when the only bright spark for the US right now is SVB.

Will a Boening, Morris, Williams, Deuel and Archer team have what it takes to beat the European team?

Peter@CEP
10-26-2008, 11:24 PM
The frist three players from each side of the atlantic have already been anounced:

USA: Archer, Morris, Van Boening

EUROPE: Souquet, Drago, Gray

It remains to be seen who will complete the line ups

Fast Lenny
10-26-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm hoping Earl will be on it regardless of what people think,he brings excitement to it and also plays hard and has a great record. :smile:

Rubyron
10-26-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm hoping Earl will be on it regardless of what people think,he brings excitement to it and also plays hard and has a great record. :smile:

Yup, it will be a snooze-fest without Earl. :D

travisw
10-27-2008, 01:19 AM
ya i was hearing this dicussed and sure seems like the europeans have a problems on there hands (of the best kind) With Gray, Drago and Souqet already named, the fight for the last spots between Dazz(current world 10ball champ), Immonen(U.S open champ, Peach (world 9 ball champ) and Niel fiejen ( current 14.1 champ) really seems like they all should be deserving. Tough to figure who to leave off.

9 ball
10-27-2008, 05:53 AM
This is the one year I pray to god that Earl isn't on the US Mosconi Cup team, because I am sick of watching it every year knowing that he's going to pull some stupid publicity stunt that will detract from the great pool on show just so he can:

A) Inflate his already oversized ego

B) Take attention away from the fact that his game is on the slide and the only reason he is on the us team year in and year out is so that his antics instead of the pool will get ratings.

The man needs to step aside and let the young guns led by archer duel it out, Earl's an embarrassment.

Tim-n-NM
10-27-2008, 06:17 AM
This is the one year I pray to god that Earl isn't on the US Mosconi Cup team, because I am sick of watching it every year knowing that he's going to pull some stupid publicity stunt that will detract from the great pool on show just so he can:

B) Take attention away from the fact that his game is on the slide and the only reason he is on the us team year in and year out is so that his antics instead of the pool will get ratings.

The man needs to step aside and let the young guns led by archer duel it out, Earl's an embarrassment.

I respectfully disagree with you.

Renegade
10-27-2008, 08:00 AM
ya i was hearing this dicussed and sure seems like the europeans have a problems on there hands (of the best kind) With Gray, Drago and Souqet already named, the fight for the last spots between Dazz(current world 10ball champ), Immonen(U.S open champ, Peach (world 9 ball champ) and Niel fiejen ( current 14.1 champ) really seems like they all should be deserving. Tough to figure who to leave off.

Now this seems to be a happy problem for Europe. That's a very deep bench. I'm thinking they will go with Feijen and Immonen, just because they've been in the spotlight longer. But I'm still hoping Appleton will be chosen....

Team America would fare better without Earl, I think. It's time for new blood!

AnitoKid
10-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Earl is always very exciting to watch!
And I kid you not!

:)

GordonRamsay
10-27-2008, 02:52 PM
would Ronnie be taking a pay cut if he joined Team Europe?

GO EARL.

justin.powell
10-27-2008, 03:01 PM

I also respectfully disagree.

justin.powell
10-27-2008, 03:04 PM

I agree with you. Well said.
Go Earl :thumbup: .

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/jkpowell/Strickland20US20Open.jpg

sjm
10-27-2008, 05:22 PM
The frist three players...have already been anounced:

USA: Archer, Morris, Van Boening

I'd add Deuel and Nevel if I were choosing.

Choosing Earl would be silly. Yes, he's good theater, but better we should send our best players. It's about five years since Earl was one of America's five best players.

Europe's strong team will be hard to beat. Why should America take anything short of its best shot?

Getnbzy
10-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Besides obviously Archer, SVB and Morris i would add Deuel and hmmmm??

Nevel...Is he ready for that big of a stage?

Schmidt...Is he playing at a top 5 level right now?

Amang...Has he applied for U.S. citizenship yet? :eek:

Get here already will ya december!

GordonRamsay
10-29-2008, 07:44 PM
I also respectfully disagree.

yeah I'm with you........Earl is a must....i mean that would be like Souquet not playing for Europe....

Renegade
10-30-2008, 02:51 AM
How come nobody considers Williams for the position??? He's been winning this year, right? How about Schmidt?

Would Deuel and Wiliams on the same team work? If not, replace one of them with ... OK, Earl.

Fatboy
10-30-2008, 03:03 AM
i think i'm going this year, please tell me about Malta??? thanks

predator
10-30-2008, 05:18 AM
With three players mentioned, I would certainly include Corey Deuel.
And the fifth? Can't decide with players like John Schmidt, Gabe Owen, Earl Strickland, Jeremy Jones...all US Open winners. If I were in charge of US team selection, I'd invite only US open winners, past or present.

Kimmo
10-30-2008, 06:27 AM

cool...I wish I was going but I am sure you'll have good time. I have not been there but my sister went there eons ago on a language course....a lot of history...english-speaking....moderate winters....not warm warm...but not cold either...somewhere in the 60's/70's I believe

I do not think it is exactly a hive of poolactivity so I wonder how many people there will appreciate what really is about to hit them with some of the best players in the world coming to town.... But I like it that they take the Cup around the Europe a little...the local pool-scene gets always a boost from it! Actually I think Germany is due a major Matchroom-event. Mr Hearn listening?? ;)

cheers,
Kimmo

shir
10-30-2008, 06:30 AM
http://www.alleventsmalta.com
that's the site for the official packages

I've booked it cheaper elsewhere with a flight included from the UK, sorry...

shir
10-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Congrats to Mika and Niels for taking the last 2 spots.
Unlucky Daz...