PDA

View Full Version : Ruling ??????

IRUNRAKS
10-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Is it legal to make a equipment change during a match? For example a player has a break shaft for his regular playing cue, can he brake with the shaft and then switch to his playing shaft...... or while he is playing his match he finds himself behind a ball that he has to jump over..... can he replace his shaft with his break shaft and then after the shot go back to his plaing shaft......

Pushout
10-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Is it legal to make a equipment change during a match? For example a player has a break shaft for his regular playing cue, can he brake with the shaft and then switch to his playing shaft...... or while he is playing his match he finds himself behind a ball that he has to jump over..... can he replace his shaft with his break shaft and then after the shot go back to his plaing shaft......

I think it depends on the tournament/league rules you are playing under. And, that can vary from venue to venue. I don't really know where you would find these rules, maybe someone else can answer this question better than I can. Sorry.

highrun55
10-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Around here, as long as you tell your opponent what you are doing its ok.

highrun55

hfelsh
10-26-2008, 12:16 PM
AFAIK, the "official rules" from both BCA and WPA allow it:

BCA rules (http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml)

SUPPLEMENTAL RULES, 1.4 EQUIPMENT RESTRICTIONS

(a) Cue Stick - Each player is permitted to use one or more cue sticks that meet the specifications listed in the equipment specifications section. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to increase the length of the stick.

WPA rules (http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules_tournament#1.3)

1.3 Player's Use of Equipment - (a) Cue Stick - The player is permitted to switch between cue sticks during the match, such as break, jump and normal cues. He may use either a built-in extender or an add-on extender to increase the length of the stick.

I'm pretty sure that changing the shaft is "allowed", thought the "rules" sorta look like it addresses multiple cues only. I've never seen anyone complain about a player switching shafts, however. http://www.tampabaymiatas.net/forum/images/smilies/dontknow.gif

ronhudson
10-26-2008, 03:22 PM
APA has no rule at all regarding changing of cues during a match. The National Office says you should check with your local league operator to see if they have anything regarding it in the local league bylaws.

pooltchr
10-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Many leagues and tournaments do have rules about breaking down your cue in the middle of the game. It's much simpler to switch cues than it is to change shafts. Get a jump-break cue.
Steve

Captain K.
10-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Many leagues and tournaments do have rules about breaking down your cue in the middle of the game. It's much simpler to switch cues than it is to change shafts. Get a jump-break cue.
Steve

It is simple to get additional cues, when it is your turn at the table ie. inning, you are allowed to change shafts, break down a cue or even get another cue as long as it does not pass your one allowed time out and the 30-45 second clock,or the three cue limit. Breaking down your cue or switching shafts during your opponents turn ie. inning does come with the forfit of game penalty

simple:smile:
Kennan

ronhudson
10-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Not everybody has a time out allowed. Not everybody has a shot clock. Not everybody has a three cue limit.

Breaking down your cue to change a shaft does not mean you forfeit the game. Just let your opponent know what you are doing.

RFisher
10-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Here is what the "breaking down your cue" rule is for. If your opponent is "on the hill" and running out and you break down your cue, you are in essence telling him, and everyone else, it's over, I've had enough. Kind of like throwing in the towel in boxing.

When your actualy at the table shooting and you start breaking down your cue, it is, and should be precieved that you are switching equipment, ext........not calling it quits......common sense.

Anyone who calls foul, says you forfit, or loose because there opponent takes apart there cue while they (they meaning the player at the table) are at the table and is there/your turn shooting is a Nit, nitwit, monkey spank, jerkoff. Don't quote rules to me either, having some pride, being human, and not being a petty/ rule pushing worm is something the better players/people pride our selfs on.

If your the kind of player that takes ball in hand after your opponent is down stroking the cueball and a player or person accidently pushes them into the table and hits the cueball, you fall into the no pride, not human, very petty, rule pushing worm, Nit, Nitwit, jerk off catogory.

I had this happen to me once, and guy took ball in hand.

I've had this happen to my opponents on more than one ocassion, and no I never took ball in hand.

Sportsmanship and honor, it's earned, not bought, or stolen

poolpro
10-26-2008, 06:23 PM
As has already been said, if you break down your cue while in the middle of a match it can be taken as a forfeit. It is a popular shark move among some players. Just like when payers make a big showing of pulling out the money and waving it around or throwing it on the table, etc. Or grabbing the rack and waving it around when you still have 3 balls left to shoot, etc. They are all shark moves or distraction tactics.

It is a last ditch effort that actually works on many less experienced players. I love when my opponents do this kind of thing, it just confirms to me that they are worried about beating me without resorting to this kind of nonsense. We used to have a non written rule that if the other guy picked up the rack above the above the table it was also a forfeit.

If I am playing someone who does this while I am shooting, I just calmly grab my break cue and sit down. They will ALWAYS ask what the heck I am doing. I say " I am waiting for you to rack". They always say " No way, it is still your shot, the game is not over yet". Then I say " Oh, I thought you were in a hurry to start the next game, I was just trying to avoid this obvious formality of finishing out this run". After a couple times of similar exchanges, when they realize, that I will not be distracted, or allow them to rattle me, they will quit it.

I think the no breaking the cue down is a good rule. The rule actually states that if a player " attempts to unscew his cue" . So even if he makes a big show of the act of breaking the cue down without actually doing it it counts as a forfeit. This is more proof that it is the distractionary aspect of the act that is what the rule is addressing.

It is also okay to switch shafts in the event of a tip coming off or a malfunction or other issue. Just politely notify your opponent, and all is good. Even if you just feel like switching shafts, ii should be fine, just notify your opponent. Again, this is ONLY to assure that the changing of shafts( or breaking down of your cue) is NOT an attempt to shark your opponent. As long as you understand the rules intent, and act accordingly, you should never have an issue.

You just have to make sure your opponent understands what you are doing and why. Just as there are players who will use the move of taking their cue apart to try and win, there are others who will exploit this rule to their advantage, and try to clam that you forfeited by changing shafts. It is ALWAYS easier to discuss rules and their intent BEFORE than after. Be sure you get an acknowledgement before you take you cue apart. Another note, ther will probably be less of a potentail issue if you wait untill it is your turn and not while your opponent is shooting.

JW