PDA

View Full Version : Bored and messing around...

pip9ball
10-26-2008, 05:58 PM
I've been bored all day...thought I would mess around with the video camera. Suggestions are always welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKQmxeq8k4g

I have some footage of me playing the 9ball ghost...will post later after I convert. Ghost got the better of me 9-6! That SOB is tough to beat!!

-Phil

Big C
10-26-2008, 11:51 PM
How long have you been playing and what are you working on? Do you mostly throw balls out on the table and try to run out? After only two racks it's a little difficult to give a lot of feedback, so I will make one suggestion for now. SLOW DOWN.

pip9ball
10-27-2008, 08:06 AM
I wasn't really working on anything....just trying to get loose before I tried playing the 9ball ghost. I shot another video of me playing the ghost...just haven't processed and posted that yet.

I've been playing off and on for about 10 years. Thanks for the feedback about slowing down...I get that a lot....but its so hard for me to do it :-)

-Phil

KoolKat9Lives
10-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Just a minor side note, as I don't feel qualified (in this forum chalk full of talent & renowned instructors) to offer a critique of your play. Your play is at a pretty decent level and it's tougher to pick out a key point or two for you to focus and work on, than for someone that is trying to string together 5 balls.

Anyway,

It's my understanding most people rack 'em and take ball in hand after the crack (vs throwing 'em out to start each rack).

pip9ball
10-27-2008, 08:53 AM
I for sure rack and break when I play the ghost...this video was just me trying to get loose before I started to play the ghost. I'll post the actually race with ghost later.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Phil

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 09:18 AM
You seem to play pretty well. You asked for comments and I don't want to knock your game but your stroking arm looks like it could use some work. I am a firm believer in mechanics and the simpler the better.

Two things:
You are what I call chicken winged in that you are holding your arm closer to your chest rather than letting it hang directly below your elbow.

You have a lot of elbow movement when you are stroking which means your upper arm is moving around a lot. To have the most linear stroke is just a forward and back stroke using just the tricep and bicep muscles. When you are bouncing your elbow you are getting all of those muscles in your shoulder going. The shoulder is a joint that can do rotational movement not condusive to an accurate strike point on the cue ball.

Good luck with your game
That ghost is a MF..:angry:

AnitoKid
10-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the vid!
Great shooting!
And I kid you not!

:)

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
BTW nice video. What kind of camera did you use. Was it hard to get posted on you tube? I have never done that but am interested.

pip9ball
10-27-2008, 12:58 PM
You seem to play pretty well. You asked for comments and I don't want to knock your game but your stroking arm looks like it could use some work. I am a firm believer in mechanics and the simpler the better.

Two things:
You are what I call chicken winged in that you are holding your arm closer to your chest rather than letting it hang directly below your elbow.

You have a lot of elbow movement when you are stroking which means your upper arm is moving around a lot. To have the most linear stroke is just a forward and back stroke using just the tricep and bicep muscles. When you are bouncing your elbow you are getting all of those muscles in your shoulder going. The shoulder is a joint that can do rotational movement not condusive to an accurate strike point on the cue ball.

Good luck with your game
That ghost is a MF..:angry:

I was actually quite surprised to see myself with so much arm movement on the video too. I wasn't aware I was doing this and thus will now be working on stabilizing my arm during practice. I plan on taping myself every couple of weeks to see if progress is being made.

Thanks for the feedback...it is much appreciated!

-Phil

pip9ball
10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
BTW nice video. What kind of camera did you use. Was it hard to get posted on you tube? I have never done that but am interested.

The video was actually shot from my macbook pro's built in isight! It was rather easy to post on youtube. Just exported the video to a quicktime format and uploaded to youtube. They took care of the rest.

-Phillip

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 01:03 PM
The video was actually shot from my macbook pro's built in isight! It was rather easy to post on youtube. Just exported the video to a quicktime format and uploaded to youtube. They took care of the rest.

-Phillip

So essentially a web cam? Cool, doesn't look too bad considering the light is probably not the best!

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 01:08 PM
I was actually quite surprised to see myself with so much arm movement on the video too. I wasn't aware I was doing this and thus will now be working on stabilizing my arm during practice. I plan on taping myself every couple of weeks to see if progress is being made.

Thanks for the feedback...it is much appreciated!

-Phil

I have a hook in my ceiling and tie people up to correct this, (well tie there arm up to the hook). Try this yourself a hook and a string tied into a loop. You will really notice it when you are moving your elbow.

pip9ball
10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
So essentially a web cam? Cool, doesn't look too bad considering the light is probably not the best!

Yes, essentially a webcam. I'm looking for a good digital camcorder that can handle the light better.

-Phillip

pip9ball
10-28-2008, 09:37 AM
I have a hook in my ceiling and tie people up to correct this, (well tie there arm up to the hook). Try this yourself a hook and a string tied into a loop. You will really notice it when you are moving your elbow.

Do you have any pictures of this? I'm having a hard time visualizing how this is setup.

-Phillip