PDA

View Full Version : Old Diamond or Old Gold or ??? -- long post

fd_colorado
10-26-2008, 10:55 PM
As a re-entry player who grew up on GC I & IIs, I felt that I should see what the Diamond tables were like before popping for a home table. I live out in the boonies so getting some time on a variety of table brands is tough.

During this weekend's trip to the big city I had the opportunity to shoot a few balls on a Diamond ProAm (my first time on any kind of Diamond) and I liked it alot. The pro-cut pockets were fair and let me know when I got lazy. The rails were lively and the Simonis 860 cloth was fast enough for me without tempting me to go for the faster 860HR. I liked the feel of the rails and the look of the topside in general. All in all a modern feeling board that I liked.

Before going back home I stopped by a room that had what looked to be some GC II's. According to the operator, the pockets were triple-shimmed and they were certainly tougher than the Diamond. The rails surprised me by being lively in a more subdued sort of way than the ProAm, if that makes any sense. What I notice about that particular table set up was that it just didn't seem 'balanced'.

So after all that, I would probably be happy with the GC and happier with the Diamond. Due to my difficult access, I am thinking of a Diamond Professional rather than the 1 piece ProAm (yes, I know the PA comes in 3 pc. as well).

I found what appears to be a decent deal on an ~15 year old Diamond Professional. My question is whether a 15 y.o. Prof is basically the same as a new(er) Professional? I can get the old table for about the price of an even older GC and about 1/2 the price of the near new Professionals that are offered.

Or is old stuff, simply old stuff? Like old cars, motorcycles and girlfriends: where trying to relive the memory never seems to measure up to the sacred recollections.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

15 year old Diamond

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg296/1999_Hayabusa/old_diamond.jpg

JoeyInCali
10-26-2008, 11:01 PM
FWIW old Diamond had Championship cushion ( import ). It was infamous for banking short.

xianmacx
10-27-2008, 05:29 AM
I just got a Diamond from the same timeframe, the pockets are much bigger than the current 4.5 in pro-cut specs.

Poolhalljunkie
10-27-2008, 05:36 AM
I would move this to talk to a mechanic section and I am sure RKC will chime in as he is the man to talk to about Diamonds.

fd_colorado
10-27-2008, 05:53 AM
I would move this to talk to a mechanic section and I am sure RKC will chime in as he is the man to talk to about Diamonds.

How do I move a topic?

Thx

Black-Balled
10-27-2008, 06:02 AM
The Mods have to move it and there is a good chance it shall be done.

I guess there could be pricing differences for you and I, but I think a 10+ yr Diamond is worth $500 more than a same-condition/ age GC. I shopped for years and I found GC for <1.5k, Diamond for <2k, but...

So much depends on the assembly. Whatever you choose, get the best mechanic to put it together right the first time. I would suggest you hire a pro to move it (w/you?) so you have it where it will be when your assembler gets there.

Good luck!

LoGiC
10-27-2008, 06:50 AM
Any table will play well given it is set up properly by a good mechanic. I don't think either will disappoint you.

realkingcobra
10-27-2008, 08:39 AM
How do I move a topic?

Thx
Just call me direct, 702-927-5689

Glen

Black-Balled
10-27-2008, 10:37 AM
How do I move a topic?
Thx
Just call me direct, 702-927-5689
Glen

Good God, RKC!!

What other yet-to-be-seen powers do you have!?!?

fd_colorado
10-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Good God, RKC!!

What other yet-to-be-seen powers do you have!?!?

He's looking at my access pictures right now...it's where angels fear to tread. But if anyone can do a ProAm 1 piece, it'll be RKC.

Black-Balled
10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
He's looking at my access pictures right now...it's where angels fear to tread. But if anyone can do a ProAm 1 piece, it'll be RKC.
Ha! I have moved 2 tables in my life- one yesterday that had 300+ lb pieces of granite. Thank God I have an office job.

Glen is The Man.

realkingcobra
10-27-2008, 11:23 AM
You're on, it's not going to be easy, but I can install the 9ft ProAm.

Glen

TXsouthpaw
10-27-2008, 12:05 PM
if your going with an older table. Get the gold crown. New tables it would be a toss up (id still get the GC) but older tables id always go with the brunswick.

Kevin Lindstrom
10-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Another suggestion for others reading this thread. No matter what make of table you get make sure the table is heavy. When I first started to play it was a combination of Gold Crowns and Gandy Big G. The Gandys played pretty good but just did not have that solid heavy feel to the table that felt so good with the Gold Crowns. I currently play on Gold Crown 3's and prefer the solid heavy feel to the table.

Kevin