PDA

View Full Version : Hard Tips

StormHotRod300
04-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Ok, i am picking up my Espiritu tomorrow, and it comes with a WaterBuffalo tip, and i have heard that it is a very Hard tip.

I am just curious as to what does it compare to for other tips. I normally use Le-Pro's and have had one cue that came with a Tiger Tip.

I like the hardness of the Tiger tip, but dont like spending 30$ everytime i need a new tip lol.

And i plan on using this cue to break with also. Since i am getting rid of my break cue.

Also, i am open to try other tips too, like Moori, or stingray, or Elkmaster, and so on.

just looking for more info in the world of Tips.

vapoolplayer
04-07-2005, 01:14 AM
WB tips are EXTREMELY hard tips. when i put one on my cue, it felt like i was using a phenolic tip..........i didn't like it at all. it also made a "click" everytime i hit a ball. although i've seen them on cues and they didn't make any unusual noise at the time. i was told by the cuemaker that they make noise on some cues, and some cues they don't.

you'll also have to chalk up EVERY time or you'll misuce ALOT. its MUCH harder than any tip i've personally ever used.

as far as other tips i prefer the moori III quick(hard). i like a hard tip, but the buffalo was MUCH to hard for my tastes.

some people love them though.

VAP

k-carson
04-07-2005, 02:00 AM
you'll also have to chalk up EVERY time or you'll misuce ALOT. its MUCH harder than any tip i've personally ever used.

VAP

not to mention scuff it every other game so it will hold chalk

but hey hot rod you might like it try it first if you stay withing
a cue tip of center most times you may do well with it

StormHotRod300
04-07-2005, 02:26 AM
thanks for the info,

I had asked the owner of the Pool hall about the WB tips when, i put the $ down on the cue, and he said they are a very hard tip. I know i was test hitting the cue just to see if i would like it, and it was miss cue'n on a solid hit lol.

I even asked a guy i know who bought a Espiritu, and he said the tip was super hard and didnt like to hold chalk and he miss cue'd alot, he is also a fairly good player to.

Now i was also curious about the Moori tips, I have heard some people say the Moori III Med is a fairly hard tip, And i wouldnt mind finding a tip that is harder to the point where it doesnt mushroom, but also isnt so hard you miss cue all the time, and i dont feel like dropping 30$ every time for a layer'd tip either.

If the Moori III hard is a bit harder than a Le-pro and not like the Waterbuffalo, then i might try it out.

dave

k-carson
04-07-2005, 02:31 AM
i dont feel like dropping 30$ every time for a layer'd tip either.
dave

i dont mind dropping the money on a moori cause it should be a year or more
till you do it again

vapoolplayer
04-07-2005, 03:43 AM
i dont mind dropping the money on a moori cause it should be a year or more
till you do it again

i don't like a tall tip, so i have mine cut about half way down when i first get them put on...........and i hit anywhere from 500-2000 balls a day, depeding on my practice routine.............so i go through one every 2 months, but the 30 is still worth it IMO.

VAP

Michael Webb
04-07-2005, 04:29 AM
If you like a good Lepro then I suggest you try a Sumo. I found them to play closest to the old lepro's when you actually got more than 5 good ones in a box.

drivermaker
04-07-2005, 04:56 AM
as far as other tips i prefer the moori III quick(hard). i like a hard tip, but the buffalo was MUCH to hard for my tastes.

VAP

If you like 'em hard, try Hercules hard or Balabushka hard and see what you think. They aren't WB.

vapoolplayer
04-07-2005, 04:59 AM
If you like 'em hard, try Hercules hard or Balabushka hard and see what you think. They aren't WB.

i tried the hercules...........had it taken off after two days, i hated it. i haven't tried, the balabushka, i'll have to try one next time. so far i keep coming back to the moori..........we'll see.

VAP

RunArak
04-07-2005, 05:03 AM
I really like the Talisman hard tip. I have used them for over a year and have ZERO problems. My business partner, Worminator, hates a hard tip and wouldn't dare playing with one. It is all about preference and what "feels" right to you. As far as the scuffing that someone mentioned above, I NEVER scuff my hard tip and I very rarely miscue. I do keep it chalked up after every second or third shot though!!
Good luck!

drivermaker
04-07-2005, 05:10 AM
i tried the hercules...........had it taken off after two days, i hated it.

VAP

Why? What did you feel the difference was between them and the Moori?

vapoolplayer
04-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Why? What did you feel the difference was between them and the Moori?

i didn't have the control i have with the moori for one...............the hercules felt like it gave a little more than the morri.............in general it just didn't "feel" right if you know what i mean. i used to use a moori medium for a while, until i used the hard, now the moori mediums don't "feel" right. it could just be all in my head, but if it doesn't "feel" right, i don't use it.

VAP

1pRoscoe
04-07-2005, 05:21 AM
I like either Moori III quick or Tiger hard. I currently have a Moori on mine and it works great.

If you need to pick some up at around $10 each, let me know, that way you can have someone install it for $10 = $20 Moori. :D

kollegedave
04-07-2005, 05:54 AM
I used a WB tip for one afternoon and then I took it off b/c I could make a ball. I use a triangle tip now, which I love, and I think it is a pretty hard hitting tip. Personally, I don't know how anyone plays with a WB tip...I hate them.

kollegedave

skchengdds
04-07-2005, 06:17 AM
Ok, i am picking up my Espiritu tomorrow, and it comes with a WaterBuffalo tip, and i have heard that it is a very Hard tip.

I am just curious as to what does it compare to for other tips. I normally use Le-Pro's and have had one cue that came with a Tiger Tip.

I like the hardness of the Tiger tip, but dont like spending 30$ everytime i need a new tip lol.

And i plan on using this cue to break with also. Since i am getting rid of my break cue.

Also, i am open to try other tips too, like Moori, or stingray, or Elkmaster, and so on.

just looking for more info in the world of Tips.

The Elkmaster is really soft. People who like soft tips swear by Elkmasters and some soak them in milk and then crush them in a vice to harden them up a little.

Years ago, the only tip in town was a LePro. They mushroomed, need to be trimmed and shaped but played well. Lately, those tips have become very inconsistent.

Then there are Triangles which seem to be the ubiquitous tip from most cuemakers unless specified otherwise. They're consistent, medium hard and also quite inexpensive.

For the past year, I've been trying the layered tips. Moori III med, Moori III slow and quick, Talisman Med, and Talisman Hards. I like the Moori III med and I buy them in batches of 10-20 for about $9/ea. The Moori III slow is a nice tip too and they harden up after use and pretty much play like a Moori med after a while. The nice thing about Moori tips is the fact that they are very consistent. Pretty much maintenance free and hold chalk fairly well......at least with a nickel radius. I always worry about that top layer falling off with dime radius.

Some prefer the Talisman tips. Richard Harris of Bluegrass cues for example. He finds that Talismans hold chalk better leading to less miscues. I personally find it interesting that the Talisman samples I have came in different heights, whereas every Moori tip I've seen has looked exactly the same. A friend of mine swears by the Talisman Hard tips, but they just feel a little too hard for me. One hard tip I do like is the TAD. Anyone out there using the TAD tip. I have that tip on a break cue, but I play with it and never break with it.

If you like a hard tip, try the Talisman hard, or Moori III Quick and see what you like better. I recommend a fiber pad with a hard tip if you have an ivory ferrule. Especially if you're going to break with this cue also. Some people like pads, some people hate 'em.

I think the layered tips last much longer. Weird not needing to shape a tip anymore?? And I think most people find that the better layered tips offer good control and easily allow English.

Wolfbite.com did a test of hardness and left certain subjective findings. Here is a link to his results:

http://www.wolfbite.com/tip-selection.htm

Good luck. The tip hits the cueball first. Even the "most" expensive tip is a relative bargain if you love the feel.

sherwin

StormHotRod300
04-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Well i played with my Cue for about an hour tonight and only had 1 miss cue with the waterbuffalo tip, and it was when i was using some extreme english.

Now i scuffed up the tip with my George, before playing and then chalked it up pretty good, and found the tip held chalk fairly well. It did kinda have a weird Ting sound to it when hitting a ball lol.

But over all i didnt think the tip was really that bad. I guess i just kinda expected the worst. I mean i didnt have a problem using english or doing any shot that you might come across in a game.

Anyways so far so good :)

Now for the stupid question of the day lol. Since i have basically only used Le-Pro's on my cue's, I am curious as to what the point of using a Soft, Medium, or Hard tip is? I heard somewhere that guys will use a soft tip when playing on a fast table because it gives them more control of the cue, and a Medium tip is for a table that is slower, and the Hard tip is for a even slower table?

Muxy
04-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Another question was is a Tiger sniper considered as, soft, medium, hard.