PDA

View Full Version : In Jail

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Just thought I would post this up.

I always have a hard time when I get together for practice with friends and team mates because I believe that practice is doing drills and they want to play 8 ball or 9 ball. 8 ball and 9 ball is getting boring to me these days and most of my teammates I can beat no problem so I have a hard time staying interested. Doing drills it is hard to keep them interested.

I have been thinking about games that might challenge players to a competition while practicing. One of the games, (a safety game), would be called "In Jail". A game that involves just safety play.

The object would be to keep your opponent from making a shot or a hit.

Scoring is simple and would be one point if your opponent can't make a shot and three if your opponent cannot make a hit. You get more points for the "lock up" safety hence the name "In Jail". A scratch or pocketed ball would be minus one point. You could even handicap this say a for a no hit an A player gets 2 points while a C player gets four.

You could also play this with four people with each person taking a shot at the safety and point accumulating for each team.

Shots would be set up using paper reinforcement rings, (doughnuts), so the shots are easily replicated. Many shots could also have several variations of difficulty. You could do one shot with several variations or several different shots with one variation.

For the shot I have posted if you use just the variation of the object ball being farther from the blocker then the trick is to figure out what is the higher scoring method of playing this safety. Would it be more reliable thus higher scoring to attempt to draw the cue towards the blocker or just stop it dead and use cue ball speed to get the object ball on the long rail.

I have posted a cue table layout with a safety that comes up often. This is one I wish I could watch my team mates do more and has variations such as where the cue ball is and how far the object and blocker ball is from each other. Obviously for a skilled player this is an easy safety however there certainly are more shots to come up with.

Just thought it might be fun to hear what you guys think about this concept in general, (games of skill and drills) and also of "In Jail".

Some input on format, scoring, handicapping, and shots to use would be neat to see.

BTW my first cue table layout hope this works!

http://CueTable.com/P/?@2AYib2BYpr2EYfE3PJPD3QakM2UYib2Uaom2UDYk1UbVc3UY NE3kJPD2kXDM2kXLN@

blueridge
10-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Just thought I would post this up.

I have been thinking about games that might challenge players to a competition while practicing. One of the games, (a safety game), would be called "In Jail". A game that involves just safety play.

Why not just play one pocket if you're looking for a defensive oriented game?

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 11:27 AM

The safeties for one pocket and nine ball are certainly different.

Black-Balled
10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
I think it is a fine game. 1p does not focus on defense- you can't win a 1p game playing only defense, but if you play 'jail' to a point value, you can win that.

A fine game. I play something I made up too, it is kick pool where you get a point for each rail you hit before the OB. Game to predetermined # of points. (It still needs refining, I was thinking perhaps every 2 shots both balls need to cross the center of table...)

cleary
10-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I play a similar game. Its helped a lot with 9 ball defense.

Its simply 9 ball, but the only way you can win is the 3 foul rule. If the 9 falls, you rerack and keep playing. You can run as many balls as you like, as long as you cause 3 fouls in a row, you win.

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 12:44 PM
I think it is a fine game. 1p does not focus on defense- you can't win a 1p game playing only defense, but if you play 'jail' to a point value, you can win that.

A fine game. I play something I made up too, it is kick pool where you get a point for each rail you hit before the OB. Game to predetermined # of points. (It still needs refining, I was thinking perhaps every 2 shots both balls need to cross the center of table...)

That does sound like an interesting game. Might be one payed without pockets, eh?

Black-Balled
10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
That does sound like an interesting game. Might be one payed without pockets, eh?
Funny...have you see the pic of the table I bought YESTERDAY?

grindz
10-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Do you have access to a snooker table??

td

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Do you have access to a snooker table??

td

About 60 miles south but love the game. A friend and I used to play for 3 or 4 hours every Friday afternoon when we had one in the area.

Shortside K
10-27-2008, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Bigkahuna] 8 ball and 9 ball is getting boring to me these days and most of my teammates I can beat no problem so I have a hard time staying interested.

If you beat them that easily, give them enough weight to make it really tough for you to win. Additionally, play them for a little $ and give them 2 to 1 on the dough.

I assure you, you won't get bored if you give them enough weight.

Island Drive
10-27-2008, 06:37 PM
All games help you in all other games, expands your thought process. I created a game out of boredom when I'm at the pool room, cue ball must go off an object ball and hit another object ball (call the pocket) and pocket it for a one point score, it may be the most difficult of all games I've ever played, way more difficult than scratch pool. In the rotation games, this type of shot comes up very often and one that when executed properly, wins games and turns matches in your favor quickly, you'll see the layout of the table from a completely different perspective, and the free caroms at the 9 seem more often.

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Funny...have you see the pic of the table I bought YESTERDAY?

All eyes are upon you, we have all been watching and thinking too.

Bigkahuna
10-27-2008, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Bigkahuna] 8 ball and 9 ball is getting boring to me these days and most of my teammates I can beat no problem so I have a hard time staying interested.

If you beat them that easily, give them enough weight to make it really tough for you to win. Additionally, play them for a little $ and give them 2 to 1 on the dough.

I assure you, you won't get bored if you give them enough weight.

I give weight to players all the time.

I guess I wanted to talk about making games out of drills. Perhaps nobody is interested.

ironman
10-27-2008, 09:36 PM

What does 1pocket focus on. I've surley been doing something wrong lately.

Black-Balled
10-28-2008, 06:03 AM
What does 1pocket focus on. I've surley been doing something wrong lately.

I should have used 'solely' as the comment was directed at the potential substitution of 1p for 'jail'. Jail would be better for building safe/ kick skills.

Don't be getting surley on us!;) :D

WoodyJ
10-28-2008, 09:37 AM
In addition to "in jail" (which helps with defensive play), I would suggest trying a game a friend and I made up that we call "anything but" (to work on offensive play).

That is play 8-ball and you can do anything but shoot your balls directly in a pocket (i.e., banks, kicks, caroms, combinations, etc. are OK). In particular, we wind up shooting a lot of what we call "cheezy banks" (i.e., kicks) where an object ball is off the rail and you hit the rail next to the ball first (which comes up frequently in real play when you are blocked by another ball and it's great to get lots of practice on these shots so that you don't think twice about shooting them).

Bigkahuna
10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
In addition to "in jail" (which helps with defensive play), I would suggest trying a game a friend and I made up that we call "anything but" (to work on offensive play).

That is play 8-ball and you can do anything but shoot your balls directly in a pocket (i.e., banks, kicks, caroms, combinations, etc. are OK). In particular, we wind up shooting a lot of what we call "cheezy banks" (i.e., kicks) where an object ball is off the rail and you hit the rail next to the ball first (which comes up frequently in real play when you are blocked by another ball and it's great to get lots of practice on these shots so that you don't think twice about shooting them).

I like that one! Doesn't anyone else have a drill they can make a game out of?

Bigkahuna
10-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Just a bump for anyone who can think of making a game out of practice drills.