PDA

View Full Version : Knowing your personal cue ball english limits

iusedtoberich
10-27-2008, 07:49 PM
I was having trouble with a high spin shot and just could not get there. I thought I was hitting maximum english. I was hitting the most english I generally do.

So what I did, was discover the true limits of the english I can apply before miscueing. I actually tried to miscue, by aiming my tip well past the outer edge of the cueball. Then I would shoot a bunch of times, aiming just slightly closer to center ball each time, until I found the point where the miscue would stop.

So now I know my personal english limits with my stick, tip, and chalk combination.

I realize most shots are going to be closer to center ball. This idea is not to promote hitting maximum english. But rather to know your personal maximum english so you can shoot severe spin shots with confidence you will not miscue, because you now KNOW at exactly which point you will miscue.

Hope I helped someone...

tpdtom
10-27-2008, 07:57 PM
I think it certainly could help someone, if they only listen. When I cannot seem to apply enough English to make the cueball do what I intended, I first suspect my stroke was deficient. I still think that's usually the answer. However I'm going to do a few tests after reading this. Thanks...Tom