PDA

View Full Version : In Response to Earl Strickland's Shot Clock

Texas Prez
10-28-2008, 12:16 AM
In another thread someone mentioned Earl's idea to speed up televised games... I totally agree

But in that thread I also posted this:

"I think the bigger impact would be stats! It has already been mentioned on this thread but in America, people, especially sports fans, love statistics. And any match has the capability to produce a whole encyclopedia of stats: Made on break, made on break avg, make/miss ratio, match winning %, longest made ball streak, safeties completed, un-forced errrors, etc...

the great thing about these is that as pool becomes more popular, fans, who are usually players as well will try to emulate these stats and use them for self-inflation purposes. And because these stats can be calculated easily, leagues can starts using them to get players to compare themselves to the pros...this will give the pros a more clearly defined respect because people can see how good they are on paper. Increase meaningful stats, increase ratings!"

So what do yall think??

suckershot
10-28-2008, 12:43 AM
In another thread someone mentioned Earl's idea to speed up televised games... I totally agree

"I think the bigger impact would be stats! It has already been mentioned on this thread but in America, people, especially sports fans, love statistics. And any match has the capability to produce a whole encyclopedia of stats: Made on break, made on break avg, make/miss ratio, match winning %, longest made ball streak, safeties completed, un-forced errrors, etc...

the great thing about these is that as pool becomes more popular, fans, who are usually players as well will try to emulate these stats and use them for self-inflation purposes. And because these stats can be calculated easily, leagues can starts using them to get players to compare themselves to the pros...this will give the pros a more clearly defined respect because people can see how good they are on paper. Increase meaningful stats, increase ratings!"

So what do yall think??

You may be onto something here. I'm not saying definitely yes or no, but it seems unique (I've not heard anyone else with this idea) and an interesting suggestion.

Granted, there is the Accu-Stats rating, but unless you've researched it, and maybe even if you have researched it, you may not really know what it means.

Since most league players don't follow professional pool, I don't know if this is going to grab any more of them than it does now. Very little is said about professional pool among the league players I've seen and heard; most of the conversations I hear are about some "phenomenal" match they saw between a 7 and a 5.

Nonetheless, I think your point is, at the very least, interesting.

rossaroni
10-28-2008, 01:13 AM
the great thing about these is that as pool becomes more popular

The biggest obstacle is getting pool more popular. I don't see it becoming big anytime soon.

abbassi
10-28-2008, 02:05 AM

So what do yall think??
How about "it took Johnny Archer 2 hours to finish his match because he had to vacuum the table between racks"

JimS
10-28-2008, 02:26 AM
No clocks. Some play quickly. Some don't. Period.

poolsnark
10-28-2008, 06:26 AM
The WPBA announced at the beginning of the season that they'd be collecting all sorts of stats for every match played, which would then be used by Mitch and Ewa on the broadcasts. They're collecting stats on lags won, matches won, matches lost, games won, games lost, games won/lost on break, balls on break, scratches on break and break and runs.

Either the idea fizzled or it just wasn't making for good TV because other than some interstitial graphics, there isn't much mention of these stats (and they're buried on the WPBA site).

As for Earl, I can't stand him but I do like the shot clock idea. It works in football and basketball so there's no reason why it isn't worth a shot in televised pool.

quitecoolguy
10-28-2008, 06:29 AM
actually Pat of accustats used to have a magazine that had all the stats of the players. Buddy Hall once said it was the greatest magazine for pool. It allowed pro players the ability to know the strenght and weakness of not only themselves but other players.

blueridge
10-28-2008, 06:56 AM
The WPBA announced at the beginning of the season that they'd be collecting all sorts of stats for every match played, which would then be used by Mitch and Ewa on the broadcasts. They're collecting stats on lags won, matches won, matches lost, games won, games lost, games won/lost on break, balls on break, scratches on break and break and runs.

Either the idea fizzled or it just wasn't making for good TV because other than some interstitial graphics, there isn't much mention of these stats (and they're buried on the WPBA site).

As for Earl, I can't stand him but I do like the shot clock idea. It works in football and basketball so there's no reason why it isn't worth a shot in televised pool.

The first thing ESPN needs to do is can Ewa and Mitch. Their commentary is f#cking horrible.

Clark_the_Shark
10-28-2008, 07:05 AM
The first thing ESPN needs to do is can Ewa and Mitch. Their commentary is f#cking horrible.

AMEN!! They don't know a good shot from a good cue!

As to the original poster's main point, I already replied in the other thread. But I have to agree that more stats would help.

Also, what about this idea... handicapped tournaments... that way than can see a banger miss a whole bunch and still be on TV. Hey, maybe they'll root for the underdog! If everyone likes to see action when they miss, put more people in who miss. You could use the stats we were discussing and come up with the "perfect spot" so that it's more or less equal!

juggler314
10-28-2008, 09:18 AM
The problem with stats for pool is that there's no way you'd ever capture them accurately. In most professional sports the players *only* play their professional games on TV or in a forum that is at least being taped. While pro players in most sports practice and play pickup games the feel is not the same. With pool, you are constantly playing money games, tournaments, etc - all of which you are attempting (I guess unless you are hustling someone) to play your very best game. So unless you have people keep track of their stats on every game, and never throw a game (for money etc). The stats are pretty much useless.

Sure you can say "on tv matches player X makes this percent of shots," but it would only be useful for tv matches not for play in general. There are all sorts of things that change for the TV matches, the tables are often covered in brand new cloth, it may be drier because of the lights etc.

I play APA and for years captained a team, I kept detailed stats on my players and they were useful, but only in that context. And they were less useful for the players on multiple teams (since I didn't have all their stats).

Now it is true if you can capture some sizeable chunk of a players matches that the stats will still ring true. That is if you say know stats for 70% of a players matches you can make the assumption that the players full stats will track to that sample fairly well. But I don't think you'd realistically be able to gather more than a small percent of any players actual playing stats.

vagabond
10-28-2008, 10:09 AM
So unless you have people keep track of their stats on every game, and never throw a game (for money etc). The stats are pretty much useless.

But I don't think you'd realistically be able to gather more than a small percent of any players actual playing stats.

U made excellant points:cool:

Da Bank
10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
AMEN!! They don't know a good shot from a good cue!

As to the original poster's main point, I already replied in the other thread. But I have to agree that more stats would help.

Also, what about this idea... handicapped tournaments... that way than can see a banger miss a whole bunch and still be on TV. Hey, maybe they'll root for the underdog! If everyone likes to see action when they miss, put more people in who miss. You could use the stats we were discussing and come up with the "perfect spot" so that it's more or less equal!

two points i have to disagree with you on here...

Mitch may have no idea what he's talking about, but Ewa is a hall of famer and one of the greatest female players in history. She understands the game as well as almost any human alive.

They should have Earl commentating!

Also, perhaps you were being sarcastic about having bangers on TV. This would ruin the reputation of countless pro players and attract no new audience because no one wants to see sub-par play in any sport... they always want to see the best. That's why golf tournaments more than double their TV ratings when Tiger Woods decides to play.

Texas Prez
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Also, perhaps you were being sarcastic about having bangers on TV. This would ruin the reputation of countless pro players and attract no new audience because no one wants to see sub-par play in any sport... they always want to see the best. That's why golf tournaments more than double their TV ratings when Tiger Woods decides to play.

People do not want to always see runouts either though... Pros IMO need to play on bigger tables with smaller pockets....I know they already do and it is amazing how accurate they already are. But I feel like when I watch televised events, I miss every safety and end up only watching the out...I think the people at ESPN need to realize that a good safety battle isn't a bunch of misses in a row but is actually where the pros separate themselves from the rest of us.

Clark_the_Shark
10-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I don't mean quite "bangers" but at least people that don't run out every time. If we had field of all "Tiger Woods" in golf it would be pretty boring. It's the fact that we get to watch all sorts of golfers on TV ranging from Very Good to Outstanding. Granted we're not watching the super bad golfers, but you get my idea.

Maybe just a simple solution would be to show more of the actual tournament on TV, starting with the beginning, rather than just the last 2 or 4 rounds. The way we have it now, it would be just like watching the playoff hole or two after the top two players tied on the 18th, and not getting to watch the entire 18 holes before with everyone playing. Does this make sense?

At least we'd get to see the guys that don't "run-out" every game and never miss. They wouldn't be all that bad, but they wouldn't be all Tiger Woods' either. That way, we could see our favorite players trounce through the field, instead of just "seeing them in the finals all the time".

blueridge
10-28-2008, 11:40 AM
two points i have to disagree with you on here...

Mitch may have no idea what he's talking about, but Ewa is a hall of famer and one of the greatest female players in history. She understands the game as well as almost any human alive.

They should have Earl commentating!

I'm not denying Ewa's knowledge and pool playing talent. Her commentary is still mediocre at best, but she is great to look at. Mitch has no f#cking clue what he's talking about.

If you had Earl commentating or just put a mike on him and let him rant, people who don't even care about pool would tune in for that.

randyg
10-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Stats are an excellent idea. Keep thinking....SPF=randyg