PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Remember

steveharn
10-28-2008, 05:47 PM
One of the most exciting matches I ever watched on TV was between Earl and Franscisco. If I recall it was at the Bicycle Club. The tension was high, Earl didn't like Franscisco and the feeling was mutual. When they would break the balls, (No soft breaks here), the cue ball would jump up in the air at least a foot and a half and then crash down into the rack again. I wonder if any of these matches are available on DVD. Would love to see that match again.

Terry Ardeno
10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
One of the most exciting matches I ever watched on TV was between Earl and Franscisco. If I recall it was at the Bicycle Club. The tension was high, Earl didn't like Franscisco and the feeling was mutual. When they would break the balls, (No soft breaks here), the cue ball would jump up in the air at least a foot and a half and then crash down into the rack again. I wonder if any of these matches are available on DVD. Would love to see that match again.

That was the 1993 Bicycle Club Invitational in Bel Gardens, Ca. ESPN covered it. Accu-Stats, unfortunately, did not. They did cover the 1992 edition, which was won by Mike Sigel over Kim Davenport.

steveharn
10-28-2008, 06:23 PM
That was the 1993 Bicycle Club Invitational in Bel Gardens, Ca. ESPN covered it. Accu-Stats, unfortunately, did not. They did cover the 1992 edition, which was won by Mike Sigel over Kim Davenport.

Found this link, not sure it's the one.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3116303/8856445

steveharn
10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Found this link, not sure it's the one.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3116303/8856445

Must be another match, the cue ball wasn't jumping as high as I remember.

Terry Ardeno
10-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Must be another match, the cue ball wasn't jumping as high as I remember.

I went over my lists and know of only two other times Earl played Francisco in 9 ball that was filmed besides the one I first mentioned. Another one was the June 1999 Sands-Regency Open (that was covered by Accu-Stats) and the other one is the finals of the 2002 World 9 Ball Championship, which Matchroom Sports produced. I have all 3 of these matches. Haven't watched them in a while but taking into consideration how hard Django breaks, as well as Earl's powerhouse break and I'm sure there are plenty of balls flying around as you described.

The only one that I know that there were ill feelings between them was the finals of the 2002 World Championships, where Francisco's baby daughter had died a few days before the finals. Earl showed no mercy, and Fransico looked like he was fighting tears much of the match.

They are on friendly enough terms even today. Bustamonte was not one of the players that has or had a major feud going with Strickland.

Cameron Smith
10-29-2008, 04:20 PM
I went over my lists and know of only two other times Earl played Francisco in 9 ball that was filmed besides the one I first mentioned. Another one was the June 1999 Sands-Regency Open (that was covered by Accu-Stats) and the other one is the finals of the 2002 World 9 Ball Championship, which Matchroom Sports produced. I have all 3 of these matches. Haven't watched them in a while but taking into consideration how hard Django breaks, as well as Earl's powerhouse break and I'm sure there are plenty of balls flying around as you described.

The only one that I know that there were ill feelings between them was the finals of the 2002 World Championships, where Francisco's baby daughter had died a few days before the finals. Earl showed no mercy, and Fransico looked like he was fighting tears much of the match.

They are on friendly enough terms even today. Bustamonte was not one of the players that has or had a major feud going with Strickland.

They played in the finals of the 2001 World Pool Masters as well, also televised. Francisco won it.

Terry Ardeno
10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
They played in the finals of the 2001 World Pool Masters as well, also televised. Francisco won it.

Yep, you're right. I missed that. Rep to you for being smarter than me.:help:

Cameron Smith
10-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Yep, you're right. I missed that. Rep to you for being smarter than me.:help:

lol, thanks. I'm not sure smarter though, more like lucky that the WPM gets broadcast in Canada. :smile:

Unfortunately I don't have that match recorded, I only saw the last couple racks when they were showing highlights of previous years in 2005. Francisco missed the easiest six ball that would have secured the match. Thankfully for him a poor safety by Earl in the next rack gave him the opening he needed.