PDA

View Full Version : My Varney cue order (sigh)

Double-Dave
10-29-2008, 05:57 AM
About two and a half years ago I decided to give Mr. Varney an order for a very simple and plain sneaky pete.

We exchanged some very friendly emails and soon the order was finalized. I was promised a
delivery time of no more than a few days since the blank was allready made.
This delivery turned out to take a little longer to complete, about 3-4 weeks if I remember correctly.
No problem there, a couple weeks is still pretty fast if you ask me.

I received the cue and wasn't happy with the result. Mr. Varney had decided to cut the cue
just below the base points to add weight and make the cue more forward weighted.
Since I wanted a full-splice and this cue imo wasn?t one I returned the cue.

This was no problem for Mr. Varney and he happily took the cue back after letting me try
it out for several hours. I told him not to rush on making the new cue for me.
So far so good, I even made sure to compliment Mr. Varney on his customer service.

After a few months of waiting I decided to send Mr. Varney a pm requesting some more
information on the expected delivery date of my new cue. He told me it was nearly done
and that it shouldn't take too long.

After another couple of months in January of 2007 I decided that the best way to jump-start the
completion of my cue would be to order a few upgrades to make the extra work worth his wile.
So I contacted Mr. Varney again and upgraded to a high-quality blank with even points,
a high quality shaft and a 3/8x10 flat-top pin and joint collars.
These are all upgrades that he advertised several times on this board.
These upgrades ran me an extra $200, at the same time I inquired again about the expected
delivery time of the cue and was quoted 30-45 days.

That was around 20 months ago. In the mean time I have inquired at least 6 times about my cue
and each time was given a delivery time of between a few weeks and the old 'it's nearly done'.
Around 6 months ago it became very obvious that I wasn't the only one who had gotten this
routine after paying my hard earned money 100% in advance for a cue that I still don't have.
However I again decided to trust Mr. Varney would come thru on his promises of getting
all the backed up orders out "soon" and to keep them in order.

Nothing happened, so two months ago I decided to take it public for the first time in this thread:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=1383074
after seeing several cues being posted for members that joined the board after my order was made.
In this thread Mr. Varney indicated that my cue would be finished in mere days and it would ship very shortly.

Well, guess what? Two months have passed yet again and still no cue.
It is such a shame that Mr. Varney has still not figured out that the long delivery time isn't the main problem.
The main problem is lying to your paying customers about when to expect their finished product again and again.

So, for the last time Mr. Varney, how is it possible that my cue is still not finished and when will it ship?
I would so very much appreciate the truth just this once.

Dave Heijboer

Varney Cues
10-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Dave, again I apologize for the wait. I told you in the last thread it would be ready in a few days...and it will be. I won't get into the how's & why's as to how hard it is to get a fullsplice with EXACTLY even points. I don't make the blanks and often what starts as a possibly perfect blank isn't so after its finally turned to size. I know how picky you are after you sent the last cue back so I really wanted to get you an absolute perfect one. The cue is finished now and I have clear on it. I have two cues ahead that are late & promised as well. I even added nice micarta ringwork & an extra shaft to make up for the delay. The two ahead of yours are taking up the rest of this week but yours will ship out the first of the week and I'll post pics in the Gallery.

SpiderWebComm
10-29-2008, 06:17 AM
second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xianmacx
10-29-2008, 06:48 AM
How does this guy not get banned? The AZ gods will ban people who cross some "verbal" lines, but a guy who rips people off time and time again is still here??? I just don't get it.

cincyman
10-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Dave, again I apologize for the wait. I told you in the last thread it would be ready in a few days...and it will be. I won't get into the how's & why's as to how hard it is to get a fullsplice with EXACTLY even points. I don't make the blanks and often what starts as a possibly perfect blank isn't so after its finally turned to size. I know how picky you are after you sent the last cue back so I really wanted to get you an absolute perfect one. The cue is finished now and I have clear on it. I have two cues ahead that are late & promised as well. I even added nice micarta ringwork & an extra shaft to make up for the delay. The two ahead of yours are taking up the rest of this week but yours will ship out the first of the week and I'll post pics in the Gallery.
First story like this i have heard:rolleyes: What is his name ...Varney?
another fine custom...... it takes 3 years to get points even didnt you know that
Dave geezzzz:thumbup:

Double-Dave
10-29-2008, 07:56 AM

Mr. Varney,

I appreciate the response, and I also appreciate the free extras.
You did tell me in the last thread it would be a few days, but that was two months ago.
I can only hope you'll meet the delivery date you've set for yourself this time.
If you need my shipping adress let me know.

Dave

Maniac
10-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Oh no, not again! And to think there was once a time when I thought about ordering a cue from Mr. Varney. At my age :o , I don't think I would have the time to wait on it.
I don't have a problem with Mr. Varney as a person, but some of the promises he makes to customers (if what I read is true, and I have no reason to believe they are not) are totally out-of-line.

Maniac

shinobi
10-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I told you in the last thread it would be ready in a few days...and it will be.

Yet more Varney comedy gold.

Apparently all the promises of "a few days" and "30-45 days" were not lies. They just didn't specify the start date. "A few days" from July 10, 2012.

I have to also laugh at the implication that you (Dave) are a picky customer and therefore deserving of the extra time required to meet your needs. Apparently he didn't factor that in when quoting the delivery time, and that's your fault.

Next time a client asks me to quote a deadline, maybe I'll miss it and then blame the client and see how well that goes over. If I can manage to delay the client for years and years, I'll call it "pulling a Varney".

poolplayer2093
10-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Yet more Varney comedy gold.

Apparently all the promises of "a few days" and "30-45 days" were not lies. They just didn't specify the start date. "A few days" from July 10, 2012.

I have to also laugh at the implication that you (Dave) are a picky customer and therefore deserving of the extra time required to meet your needs. Apparently he didn't factor that in when quoting the delivery time, and that's your fault.

Next time a client asks me to quote a deadline, maybe I'll miss it and then blame the client and see how well that goes over. If I can manage to delay the client for years and years, I'll call it "pulling a Varney".

tap tap tap............ this couldn't have been said better!!!!!

i thought that was rich as well. "i told you it would be ready in a few days.. and it will be" what a joke! and then to blame the 2 1/2 year wait on the guy that was trusting enough to pay 100% up front

is varney making these full spliced points himself? or just looking through schmelkey blanks for a blank with even points?

axejunkie
10-29-2008, 10:52 AM
I can't understand why people continue to order cues from him when there are plenty other cuemakers in his price range.

leehayes
10-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Oh no, not again! And to think there was once a time when I thought about ordering a cue from Mr. Varney. At my age :o , I don't think I would have the time to wait on it.
I don't have a problem with Mr. Varney as a person, but some of the promises he makes to customers (if what I read is true, and I have no reason to believe they are not) are totally out-of-line.

Maniac

I'm guessing you're around 23?:D :D :D

You could get a Southwest in almost this time!!!! And people would stand in line to buy it when you were done with it.

Not Varney bashing but.........this is the reason I won't even buy a used one.
Too many great cue makers with great customer service out there....such as Scott Gracio!!!! Thanks for the bumper Scott....

poolplayer2093
10-29-2008, 11:10 AM
I can't understand why people continue to order cues from him when there are plenty other cuemakers in his price range.

a lot of these threads are started by people that've been waiting for a year or more. about a year or so ago varney was still in very good standings with just about everyone on az.

he developed a pretty strong following here on az and at first anyone that said anything even slightly negative about him was shunned. so a lot of people ended up ordering cues from him and that's how he ended up getting "backed up" if that's what you want to call it. i have my own theory as to what happened but i'll keep that to myself

Rodney
10-29-2008, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=shinobi]Yet more Varney comedy gold.

QUOTE]

I noticed this too. Basically he's saying, I know you're picky, so I will not let the usual flaws go this time, but for everyone else, it's good enough. LMMFAO

Fuji-whopper
10-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I thought if you offset the high side on the blank in the chuck you can get the points even, usually you shim it with tape right and make another pass to try and even out the points right? Maybe I am wrong but I recall seeing this done by a few cuemakers to get them nice and at the same height all around.

masonh
10-29-2008, 01:06 PM

funny.

and yes picky may not have been the best choice in words.

Quesports
10-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Of course it is the buyers fault! He must be at fault asking for things to be done correctly and lined up to boot! Wow what a nut!!! This could take a millenium to straighten out and it is all the fault of the customer!!!
The new business motto. The customer is always wrong...

Purdman
10-29-2008, 01:14 PM
His signature says; "Play with a Varney or get beat by one". I assume "one" means Varney. That makes sense to me.
Play with a Varney or get beat by Varney. Kind of misleading don't ya think. :thumbup: There is only one Varney that I know of.
Peace, Purdman :smile:

poolhustler
10-29-2008, 01:21 PM

In my case, it was because his cues play very nice (at least mine!!).

I bought second hand so I wouldn't have to deal with KV himself.

Love the cue!!

poolhustler
10-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Forgot to add......

Sorry to hear of your dilema Dave. :frown:

I hope that you love your KV cue when, if?, you get it!!!!

Take care,

Russ......

poolplayer2093
10-29-2008, 01:31 PM
In my case, it was because his cues play very nice (at least mine!!).

I bought second hand so I wouldn't have to deal with KV himself.

Love the cue!!

you guys that chime in saying the cues play well is almost like saying no other cuemaker could make a good playing cue. there're several up and coming cuemakers that make cues that hit as well or better without the BS. to tell you the truth i've seen a lot of his work, and while i do like it, for as simple as the designs are they seem to take a whole lot longer than they should to put together.

there're well established cuemakers that quote time frames and make the times without lying about it. i've had judd fuller and andy gilbert quote me time frames and both met them without an issue.

poolhustler
10-29-2008, 01:41 PM
you guys that chime in saying the cues play well is almost like saying no other cuemaker could make a good playing cue. there're several up and coming cuemakers that make cues that hit as well or better without the BS. to tell you the truth i've seen a lot of his work, and while i do like it, for as simple as the designs are they seem to take a whole lot longer than they should to put together.

there're well established cuemakers that quote time frames and make the times without lying about it. i've had judd fuller and andy gilbert quote me time frames and both met them without an issue.

I agree 100% !!! Its just that I heard good things about how his cues play and wanted to try one for myself. I would never buy/order one from him directly, so I bought a used one from AZ.

I have many other cues (20+) and just like trying differnet cues out and see how I like them. If I don't like them, I sell them off or throw them in my safe.

I got a great hitting cue and had to wait about 3 days to get it!!!!!

Russ.....

manwon
10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
I thought if you offset the high side on the blank in the chuck you can get the points even, usually you shim it with tape right and make another pass to try and even out the points right? Maybe I am wrong but I recall seeing this done by a few cuemakers to get them nice and at the same height all around.

You are pretty close to being correct, however, if I gave you the exact formula, well you know what they say!!!!!!!!!!!:grin-square:

Fast Lenny
10-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Not another Varney thread!There are a few cuemakers on here who will make you a nice cue and deliver it as promised.There is Dave Albrecht who post as nbll01 on here and he makes 4 pointers with veneers and leather wrap that hit great for around $500 or you can get a sneaky with some ringwork for about the same price and wait a year or so,just use your head and dont buy into the hype. ;)

manwon
10-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Oh shit here we go again!!!!!!! Dave I am personally sorry to hear you are having this problem. I hope things get resolved quickly, and I also think you are stand up guy for being so patient, I would not have been, and I doubt many others would either.:smile:

I just hope the extras you get are not like the extras Eddie Wheat was giving out, what did they call them Buck Wheats. But if you do get a coupon that says Varney Bucks or Buck Varneys or what ever, I will buy it, I have started collecting paper currency produced by cue makers. I suspect that some day these items will be rare collectibles!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Sorry Dave, but I could not help myself, I sincerely hope all turns out well.

JoeyInCali
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
The opposite.
You shim the shorter side so the center moves toward the high side and the cutter will cut more there on the next pass.

Nostroke
10-29-2008, 03:18 PM
This thread reminds me..

I recently loaned some $$ to someone who posted his cues as collateral. He plays good so I thought his cues would be fairly high-end.

Long story short- I may have a Wheat FS in 3 weeks. Yikes!

poolplayer2093
10-29-2008, 03:39 PM
This thread reminds me..

I recently loaned some $$ to someone who posted his cues as collateral. He plays good so I thought his cues would be fairly high-end.

Long story short- I may have a Wheat FS in 3 weeks. Yikes!

how much did you loan him?

i think the difference in your story and this guy that was dealing with varney's story is that in your case you're guaranteed to walk away with something if you don't get you cash back. the guy who was dealing with varney is 50/50 to get something. once varney gets your money you might have to take him to court to get either your cash or cue

Fatboy
10-29-2008, 03:46 PM
how much did you loan him?

i think the difference in your story and this guy that was dealing with varney's story is that in your case you're guaranteed to walk away with something if you don't get you cash back. the guy who was dealing with varney is 50/50 to get something. once varney gets your money you might have to take him to court to get either your cash or cue

its hard to take someone to court when you dont live in America, the OP in this thread dosent, so he is really in a tight spot.

poolplayer2093
10-29-2008, 03:52 PM
its hard to take someone to court when you dont live in America, the OP in this thread dosent, so he is really in a tight spot.

yeah that sucks. i was only talking about cincyman (sorry if i spelled that wrong)

yeah i guess he is between a rock and a hard place

Zud
10-29-2008, 04:15 PM
I have only been here 6 months or so but I have read a lot of the cuemaker "problem" threads.

By the dates and history I thought the Varney backlog had been pretty much settled.

I have seen a lot of his work in the gallery and assumed that this was new orders coming out. well we all know what happens when u assume.

I guess its hard to turn down all the business when it starts flooding in and then you have a bit of a mess on your hands. not to mention mebe your woodpile wasnt sufficient for the growth in future business.

When your trying to take care of the problems the squeaky wheels get greased first and you have the patience of a saint. (probably the reason you have waited longer than others)

2 1/2 years....with a few week quote. I hope everything turns out well and you love the cue when it finally arrives!!!!

I rack balls
10-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Yea Idk either its coming up on a year on the JB I paid for already. It was a months wait so I am guessing end of 09' ? PMed a few times with no response. Is there some kind of time conversion chart??? I might just write it off as a charitable donation on my taxes next year.

:D

ugotactionTX
10-29-2008, 05:10 PM
How many freaking times are we gonna see this same story over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over!

I really feel for the guys that get took by this guy. I don't care how great they look, play, sing, dance, or play yahtzee. If you can't be honest with your customers what else do you have? There are WAY TO MANY EXCELLENT cue makers that will bend over backwards to get the sales and make the customers happy

I just don't see how this is allowed to continue.. Why is he allowed to do business( if that's what you call it) on AZ without ANY consequences. People get banned for IMO far less grievous infractions, which incidentally, doesn't rip anyone off, but this kind of behavior is allowed to continue

man... I do not get it

smokey
10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
i gave you my support, right? i gave you my trust, right?

did i do somethig wrong? if so; please tell me.

i also gave my money to stop a virulent thread against you. do you remember?

i don't want to be negative against you - and i don't want you to close me out with lies...

i just want to know the following as i think i deserve your respect to know the truth:

1. please advise all the ordered cues before January 2008 that have not been delivered [in the customers hands] as of yesterday.

2. please advise when they [these that have not been delivered in the customers hands] will all be delivered by month and year.

i feel you owe me that at least.

if not, do not reply, that will be my key for offering you my last option.

we all need help sometimes, we all make mistakes. from my heart i hope you do right to all of your waiting customers.

all the best,
smokey

poolplayer2093
10-29-2008, 08:35 PM
man with all these people waiting on cues and all paid 100% up front!

anyone with enough spare time to add up the threads and multiply that by his average j/b price (what is it like $375)

there's a whole lot of money up in the air here

ugotactionTX
10-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey smokey sorry to see you get the shaft(pun intended) after going out on a limb for this guy. I think that is what is starting to really get to people. After all the B.S. that has gone on, people still have given him the benefit of the doubt with the hope that he will deliver. Over and over again, people are let down by his total lack of respect for the customers that gave him a chance. The first of which was an initial order, and then their continued paitence and "understanding" after the excuses start to roll in.

I too considered ordering a cue from him but there is no way on god's green earth that that will happen now. I don't even think I would buy one second hand knowing what some poor sap had to go through to get it.

it's really a shame...

J$Cincy
10-29-2008, 08:40 PM
i gave you my support, right? i gave you my trust, right?

did i do somethig wrong? if so; please tell me.

i also gave my money to stop a virulent thread against you. do you remember?

i don't want to be negative against you - and i don't want you to close me out with lies...

i just want to know the following as i think i deserve your respect to know the truth:

all the best,
smokey

jesus, someone get this guy a tube of CHAPSTICK...people must be really gettin' desperate out there to be sweatin' these tomato stakes... :killingme:

ShootingArts
10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Cue makers are rarely wealthy people. Most need a constant inflow of cash. Once someone pays 100% up front for a cue the only cash flowing around that cue is out. Most cue makers are honorable and get the cues out but paying more than fifty percent down in all but the most unusual of circumstances is a bad idea.

If a cue maker is working on a dozen sticks and they are all at about the same level of completion which does he work on first?

A)Two are paid in full.
B)Two he has seventy-five percent deposit on.
C)Two he has a fifty-percent deposit on.
D)Two he has a twenty-five percent deposit on.
E)Two he hasn't got a deposit on but he has buyers waiting when they are complete.
F)Two are being built totally on speculation.

Dogs hunt best hungry and cue makers stick to your project best when there is the most reward for finishing it. 50% down, 50% on completion is reasonable. Thirds are reasonable. When somebody wants more than that they would have to have a very solid track record to get me to part with a deposit.

Hu

man with all these people waiting on cues and all paid 100% up front!

anyone with enough spare time to add up the threads and multiply that by his average j/b price (what is it like $375)

there's a whole lot of money up in the air here

poolplayer2093
10-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Cue makers are rarely wealthy people. Most need a constant inflow of cash. Once someone pays 100% up front for a cue the only cash flowing around that cue is out. Most cue makers are honorable and get the cues out but paying more than fifty percent down in all but the most unusual of circumstances is a bad idea.

If a cue maker is working on a dozen sticks and they are all at about the same level of completion which does he work on first?

A)Two are paid in full.
B)Two he has seventy-five percent deposit on.
C)Two he has a fifty-percent deposit on.
D)Two he has a twenty-five percent deposit on.
E)Two he hasn't got a deposit on but he has buyers waiting when they are complete.
F)Two are being built totally on speculation.

Dogs hunt best hungry and cue makers stick to your project best when there is the most reward for finishing it. 50% down, 50% on completion is reasonable. Thirds are reasonable. When somebody wants more than that they would have to have a very solid track record to get me to part with a deposit.

Hu

i agree with that 100%

or at least a phone number to a phone that they answer

smokey
10-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Hey smokey sorry to see you get the shaft(pun intended) after going out on a limb for this guy. I think that is what is starting to really get to people. After all the B.S. that has gone on, people still have given him the benefit of the doubt with the hope that he will deliver. Over and over again, people are let down by his total lack of respect for the customers that gave him a chance. The first of which was an initial order, and then their continued paitence and "understanding" after the excuses start to roll in.

I too considered ordering a cue from him but there is no way on god's green earth that that will happen now. I don't even think I would buy one second hand knowing what some poor sap had to go through to get it.

it's really a shame...

really i feel kevin is a good guy. i am just a little upset, that's all. i guess i was hoping not to see any more threads with unhappy customers, that's all.

i will call him tomorrow. and just so you know, as unhappy i am about dave [maybe others] having this trouble, kevin is a really nice guy to talk to.

and for what it's worth, he makes really nice cues.

ugotaction...not always, but usually i am a pretty good judge of character, i feel kevin will make good of this, and also feel dave will be happy.

it is up to kevin if i am a fool or not, time will tell,
smokey

Fatboy
10-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Barry who??? my cue maker is a myth.....:wink: But I have faith and there is nothing stronger than faith, there will be a second comming of Barry.

poolplayer2093
10-30-2008, 11:03 AM
really i feel kevin is a good guy. i am just a little upset, that's all. i guess i was hoping not to see any more threads with unhappy customers, that's all.

i will call him tomorrow. and just so you know, as unhappy i am about dave [maybe others] having this trouble, kevin is a really nice guy to talk to.

and for what it's worth, he makes really nice cues.

ugotaction...not always, but usually i am a pretty good judge of character, i feel kevin will make good of this, and also feel dave will be happy.

it is up to kevin if i am a fool or not, time will tell,
smokey

2 1/2 man! who cares how nice him or his cues? it doesn't even matter because the people that order them are too old to play by the time they get them!exactly how long does the guy have to wait before we can just go ahead and call it theft?

He jerked this guy around so long because he's out of the country and he knew it'd be too much troble for him to fly all the way here to go to small calims court

Bigkahuna
10-30-2008, 12:51 PM
One of the guys I play with on one of my teams has a couple of cues he had made custom. One of them he had six years and it got stolen. So he ordered another the cue maker had gotten so popular he was told he would have to make a deposit and wait more than a year. The original cue resurfaced 8 months later and he got it back. 18 months after ordering the second cue it arrived and he has never played with it. This all happened during the 1980s and the cues were Southwest. Maybe you should be patient but maybe the cue maker should be better at quoting time periods or ramping up the production a bit.

poolhustler
10-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Barry who??? my cue maker is a myth.....:wink: But I have faith and there is nothing stronger than faith, there will be a second comming of Barry.

And all along I thought that we were talking about Kevin........:D

TWOFORPOOL
10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I bought a Varney from a fellow AZer a few months ago. I didn't like the white tip on it so I sent it to Kevin Varney for a black phenolic tip. I mailed the shaft on Monday Express mail. Kevin got it on Wednesday put the tip (he puts tips on differently than most cuemakers) sent it out the same day and I got the shaft back on Friday. He only charged me for the actual freight costs back to me.

He welcomed me to the "Varney family" the day I bought the cue from a fellow AZer. He has always been nice to me. The Varney Purpleheart Break/Jump cue is the best Break/Jump cue I have ever owned (and I have owned a few).

Kevin has apparently taken too many orders to keep the delivery of cues in a reasonable time. Thats to bad since he does make a great Break/Jump cue. I don't think for a minute he is trying to rip off anybody.

poolplayer2093
10-30-2008, 01:58 PM
I bought a Varney from a fellow AZer a few months ago. I didn't like the white tip on it so I sent it to Kevin Varney for a black phenolic tip. I mailed the shaft on Monday Express mail. Kevin got it on Wednesday put the tip (he puts tips on differently than most cuemakers) sent it out the same day and I got the shaft back on Friday. He only charged me for the actual freight costs back to me.

He welcomed me to the "Varney family" the day I bought the cue from a fellow AZer. He has always been nice to me. The Varney Purpleheart Break/Jump cue is the best Break/Jump cue I have ever owned (and I have owned a few).

Kevin has apparently taken too many orders to keep the delivery of cues in a reasonable time. Thats to bad since he does make a great Break/Jump cue. I don't think for a minute he is trying to rip off anybody.

trying implies that the mission isn't accomplished

MVPCues
10-30-2008, 02:06 PM
The opposite.
You shim the shorter side so the center moves toward the high side and the cutter will cut more there on the next pass.

And you watch the points get shorter and shorter if the points were far apart in the blank to begin with....

poolplayer2093
10-30-2008, 02:09 PM

he didn't charge you for a tip so now he can do no wrong?

or do yo really believe that it has taken 2 1/2 years to find a blank with even points? i guess it doesn't matter anymore because for this guy apparently it is "just a few days away"!

isn't this a sneaky we're talking about too?

TWOFORPOOL
10-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Lining up points isn't the issue (I have had two well know cuemakers tell me it isn't easy to line them up perfectly). If Varney is so far behind in cue orders and the customer doesn't want to wait any longer (since the promise date has come and gone) then the customer should get a full refund on his deposit.

If Varney can't refund the customer then their is a BIG PROBLEM! I put 1,000.00 down on a cue (from another cuemaker) for a 2 1/2 year delivery. The cuemaker makes cues the old way turning butts/shafts down over 18 months. After the first year he hadn't started the cue yet because he was to busy. I asked for a refund on my deposit and it was returned immediately. This cuemaker takes all deposits and put it into a separted bank account used only for deposits. When he completes a cue he THEN pays himself out of this separate account.

Alot of cuemakers state they can make you a cue in certain amount of time. Its been my experience that whatever time the cuemaker says multiply it by 2!

penguin
10-30-2008, 03:52 PM
If Varney is so far behind in cue orders and the customer doesn't want to wait any longer (since the promise date has come and gone) then the customer should get a full refund on his deposit.

If Varney can't refund the customer then their is a BIG PROBLEM!If you use the "Search" function of this forum you'll discover that Kevin Varney himself has stated that he will not give refunds, period. That is, if the mods haven't deleted that particular thread.

Oh, and here's a little gem from another deleted Varney thread:I think I should add a penalty from now on if you start a harrassment thread....like add 6 more months to your wait. Food for thought.

^ I saved the above as a reminder for myself as to why I should never do business with this individual. :eek:

FAST_N_LOOSE
10-30-2008, 04:00 PM
If you use the "Search" function of this forum you'll discover that Kevin Varney himself has stated that he will not give refunds, period. That is, if the mods haven't deleted that particular thread.

Oh, and here's a little gem from another deleted Varney thread:

^ I saved the above as a reminder for myself as to why I should never do business with this individual. :eek:

THAT SECOND QUOTE BELONGS IN A SIGNATURE BAR.

FAST_N_LOOSE
10-30-2008, 08:10 PM
you are welcome

YOU DA MAN...... MY SIGNATURE LINE IS ALSO BASED ON KV'S BUSINESS PRACTICES.

HeLLFiSH
10-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Alot of cuemakers state they can make you a cue in certain amount of time. Its been my experience that whatever time the cuemaker says multiply it by 2!

Out of the three custom cues I've ordered, only one was accurate with completion time. The other two claimed that the cues were in their finishing stages weeks after the supposed delivery dates. Both claimed that the cue could be finished in 30 days, both took 2-3 months to deliver. One cuemaker took full price of cue up front, another took 50% of cue as down payment, and the one that delivered on time took 12.5% down payment.

poolplayer2093
10-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Out of the three custom cues I've ordered, only one was accurate with completion time. The other two claimed that the cues were in their finishing stages weeks after the supposed delivery dates. Both claimed that the cue could be finished in 30 days, both took 2-3 months to deliver. One cuemaker took full price of cue up front, another took 50% of cue as down payment, and the one that delivered on time took 12.5% down payment.

2-3 months vs 1-2 years that's a big difference

DelaWho???
10-31-2008, 04:00 AM

A couple of observations.

You bought your Varney from another AZ'r, so you didn't have to deal with Kevin the way these guys who ordered cue from him did.

Kevin knows you bought it used, that you like the cue, and that he can do a quick tip change, and maybe seal the deal for an order. Maybe a matching player to go with the jump/break, he had a big order going to Japan but he can break one out for his new best customer. All it needs is the final coat, and he'll give you a break on the price for a stellar review. All you have to do is pay up front for it and wait a week or two...:rolleyes:

There have been too many of these threads.

I hope you get your cue DoubleDave.

:frown:

I rack balls
10-31-2008, 04:43 AM
If Varney can't refund the customer then their is a BIG PROBLEM!

It isn't even an option since PM's all are ignored.

I don't really see why he just can't post a list and give accurate time estimates. If there are customer cues that are a year or so past due and a year or so from completion then I think they should have all the right in the world to ask for a refund. PROMISING someone a cue in a month, especially if I paid in full that day, after a year its verry irritating to not get a response to a question on my order. Soo many people lining up to join the Varney Club then it shouldn't be a problem for him to resell the cues he hasn't completed yet.

Worst buying experience ever.

Quesports
10-31-2008, 06:42 AM
I think he will answer PM's if you send him some money first!

poolhustler
10-31-2008, 08:12 AM
I think he will answer PM's if you send him some money first!

Don't forget that you have to wait the usual 6 months!!

FAST_N_LOOSE
10-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Kevin knows you bought it used, that you like the cue, and that he can do a quick tip change, and maybe seal the deal for an order. Maybe a matching player to go with the jump/break, he had a big order going to Japan but he can break one out for his new best customer. All it needs is the final coat, and he'll give you a break on the price for a stellar review. All you have to do is pay up front for it and wait a week or two...:rolleyes:

THANKS.....I JUST SPIT MY COFFEE OUT.

poolpop63
10-31-2008, 08:42 AM
So....... If I order a varney cue for my 9 year old grandson now, with full payment up front, how old will his grandson be when the cue is completed????

Purdman
10-31-2008, 09:24 AM
So....... If I order a varney cue for my 9 year old grandson now, with full payment up front, how old will his grandson be when the cue is completed????

Play with a Varney or get beat by one!

Peace, Purdman :smile:

HeLLFiSH
10-31-2008, 11:00 AM
2-3 months vs 1-2 years that's a big difference

my response was towards the quoted text about how some cuemakers take 2x longer than their estimated delivery time. I was not comparing it to Dave's 1-2 year wait, merely stating experiences with 3 different custom cue makers.

cincyman
10-31-2008, 11:03 AM
my response was towards the quoted text about how some cuemakers take 2x longer than their estimated delivery time. I was not comparing it to Dave's 1-2 year wait, merely stating experiences with 3 different custom cue makers.
I believe the othr responses were trying to explain,,,, you can take your experiences with other makers and throw them out the window because in no POSSIBLE way are they similar!!!!!!!!!!!!

poolplayer2093
10-31-2008, 12:00 PM
I believe the othr responses were trying to explain,,,, you can take your experiences with other makers and throw them out the window because in no POSSIBLE way are they similar!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's exactly what i was trying to say. i guess i'll have to work on being more direct

tigerseye
10-31-2008, 12:46 PM
First story like this i have heard:rolleyes: What is his name ...Varney?
another fine custom...... it takes 3 years to get points even didnt you know that
Dave geezzzz:thumbup:

Maybe he is waiting for the tree to mature before cutting it into a poolcue???:rotflmao1:

smokey
11-03-2008, 01:43 AM
sorry, but i was not feeling well [for a few days] and i didn't call kevin and leave a message until late today/tonight.

tomorrow i will be more timely,
smokey

Fast Lenny
11-03-2008, 02:26 AM
sorry, but i was not feeling well [for a few days] and i didn't call kevin and leave a message until late today/tonight.

tomorrow i will be more timely,
smokey
You the man Smokey,I bet you got more favors then Jesus! ;)

shinobi
11-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Dave, again I apologize for the wait. I told you in the last thread it would be ready in a few days...and it will be.

This was posted a couple weeks ago. Just wondered if you got your cue, Dave?

sneak_peter
11-13-2008, 04:26 AM
i guess he'll let us know for sure, when the cue has arrived. his stopwatch is still ticking... (if battery was strong enough)

billbOK
11-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Found THIS (http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=119595) in the Cue Gallery section yesterday...

Pii
11-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Mr. Varney,

I appreciate the response, and I also appreciate the free extras.
You did tell me in the last thread it would be a few days, but that was two months ago.
I can only hope you'll meet the delivery date you've set for yourself this time.
If you need my shipping adress let me know.

Dave

Varney talk

one day = one month
one month = one year
One year = I hate you and will never finish your cue you picky bast**d

Double-Dave
11-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Hey guys,

I received the cue today.

gr. Dave

sneak_peter
11-13-2008, 09:56 AM
yippieh
:joyful:
dave, you know: gut ding... :wink2:

poolplayer2093
11-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey guys,

gr. Dave

What was the total wait time? how do you like the cue?

Pii
11-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey guys,

gr. Dave

But but Varney said it would be a couple more days how can this be??

poolhustler
11-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Varney talk

one day = one month
one month = one year
One year = I hate you and will never finish your cue you picky bast**d

That's pretty close to an Architects time schedule also!!!!!!

gpeezy
11-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Lamp anyone???