PDA

View Full Version : Does your pool hall/bar recycle beer bottles?

mikepage
10-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Wondering where recycling is occurring and where it isn't.

Do any pool halls in your area recycle glass from beer bottles? Do any other local bars do it?

I think it's now a requirement in North Carolina. Is that right?

If you answer either way, please say where you're located.

sde
10-29-2008, 07:16 AM

Do any pool halls in your area recycle glass from beer bottles? Do any other local bars do it?

Here in Michigan there is a deposit on beer/pop bottles and cans, so the answer would be yes.

Liquor and wines bottles are excluded from deposit and I do not know if they are recycled.

Steve

Bigkahuna
10-29-2008, 07:36 AM
In Maine we have a returnable bottle law. All beverage containers have a deposit and are returnable with exception to milk, (Maine milk commission has some effective lobbying). Liquor and wine bottles are 15 cents and all others are 5 cents. The sides of our roads are much cleaner now and we spend less tax dollars to clean up the mess.

jus4funbilliard
10-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Here in Maine deposit on all bottles soda and beer 5 cent for consumer 8 cent if you are a business returning to distrbutor and 15 cent on wine and liquor bottles

Tim-n-NM
10-29-2008, 08:03 AM
New Mexico has no returns on bottles. kinda odd, but true!!

sfleinen
10-29-2008, 08:35 AM

Here in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area, recycling is the law. In fact, service people (bartenders, wait[ers|resses]) are very quick to retrieve your "dead soldiers" (empty bottles) as soon as you're done with the beverage. The establishment has to pay the 5 cents deposit for each bottle, so even though the customer is paying an uplifted cost for the beverage (revenue for the establishment), naturally the establishment wants to recoupe this deposit expense to maximize their revenue. In every bar / pool hall I've been to, there's always a dedicated "deposit return" container for the dead soldiers.

DaveK
10-29-2008, 08:50 AM
For many years in Saskatchewan we have had incentives to recycle, and as a result most are brought back to get the deposit returned. Everyone (bars and individuals) pay a deposit on beer bottles, beer cans, soda bottles (plastic, glass, and cans), liquor bottles, and enviro-pak packages.

Beer bottle returns are taken at the brewers distributers warehouse, so normally the establishment will return their empties when they go to pick up fresh stock. Cans and other containers are normally taken to a Sarcan facility, which is a sheltered workshop environment staffed by people with various challenges.

http://www.sarcsarcan.ca/sarcan/index.php

The gentleman pictured on the page above works in the recycling depot closest to my home, and I've dealt with him many times. This is one of the many institutions that make me very proud to be a citizen of Saskatchewan. Thanks for asking Mike.

Dave

BETNHI
10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
The bar I go to in Oklahoma City throws out about 80 cases of empties daily.

Milo
10-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Malarkeys in Tacoma, Wa. does.:smile:

lady9ball
10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
In Iowa, bars (and everyone else) pay 5 cents per bottle and can deposit, then when the beer guy comes the next time he takes the empties and issues a credit. Liquor and wine bottles are the same way. Water bottles don't fall under this law for some reason.