PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup 2008 : Team Europe complete

billbOK
10-29-2008, 08:34 AM
The last 2 spots left have been attributed to :

Niels Feijen and Mika Immonen

They will compete to the side of Ralf Souquet, Tony Drago and Mark Gray.

Our british friends will be very disappointed that neither Daryl Peach (current World 9 ball Champion) nor Darren Appleton (current World 10 ball Champion) will take part to the event :(

billbOK
10-29-2008, 08:36 AM
The link to Matchroom article HERE (http://matchroomsport.com/articleDetail.asp?intArticleID=777)

Mike Templeton
10-29-2008, 08:43 AM
The 2 last spots left have been attributed to :

Our british friends will be very disappointed that neither Daryl Peach (current World 9 ball Champion) nor Darren Appleton (current World 10 ball Champion) will take part to the event :(
Being American, I guess I don't know all the details, but it's hard to believe that Tony Drago and Mark Gray were chosen over Daryl Peach and Darren Appleton. But I do like to think I keep up with pool enough to have the opinion that Daryl and Darren would be better choices.

Mike

billbOK
10-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Being American, I guess I don't know all the details, but it's hard to believe that Tony Drago and Mark Gray were chosen over Daryl Peach and Darren Appleton. But I do like to think I keep up with pool enough to have the opinion that Daryl and Darren would be better choices.

Mike

Tony drago was choose in quality of MVP of the 2007 edition. Mark Gray was choose because he was #1 in the Euro Tour ranking right after the Dutch Open, wich assure a spot to the Mosconi Cup team.

sascha
10-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Drag kicked all the asses in his way last year thats why he is playin again...gray, well there could have been others like Hohmann, Engert and van den Berg, wich in my opinion would have been the better choice

billbOK
10-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Drag kicked all the asses in his way last year thats why he is playin again...gray, well there could have been others like Hohmann, Engert and van den Berg, wich in my opinion would have been the better choice

I gues i was not clear enough... Sorry. Gray is not a choice, he won his spot through the Euro Tour ranking right after the 2008 Dutch Open, like Stepanov won his spot in 2007.

jay helfert
10-29-2008, 09:23 AM

This is a strong team, maybe the favorites again. Too bad they don't have six players like they used to. Darren belongs on this team too.

billbOK
10-29-2008, 09:32 AM
...Too bad they don't have six players like they used to. Darren belongs on this team too.

I agree with that Jay, feel sorry for dynamite...

travisw
10-29-2008, 09:41 AM
WOW unreal i cant believe darren isnt on that team. it really sucks for him especially since if the teams were chosen this time last week he was a lock over mika. Unfortunatly the Euro's just have to many major champions this year to all make it. Snap off a world championship and still not get chosen to represent you country is rough

cajunbarboxplyr
10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Darren Deserves a spot..........Darryl.........not so much. but thas jsut my opinion........................... Get rid of Gray and put Dynomite in there!

Tim-n-NM
10-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Kinda sad that Dynomite didnt get in. He has played so good this year. :confused:

Just my opinion.

Tim-n-NM
10-29-2008, 10:32 AM
This is a strong team, maybe the favorites again. Too bad they don't have six players like they used to. Darren belongs on this team too.
Hey Jay, why are there only 5 spots this year? Do you know?

bignasty
10-29-2008, 11:02 AM
how do they put neils in there!!!!!! appleton wins the world 10 ball and a euro tour stop, ranked in the top 10 in points and gets snubbed! something isnt right there..........it just aint right!:confused:

ob1-mackie
10-29-2008, 11:08 AM
drago is in there because it's in malta....and when he plays in malta it guarantees sell out crowds.
darren should have been in the team.....can't believe they could pick feijen over him.....darren won the biggest tournament of the year.
i agree with immonen because he's in good form and played excellent at the us open.
mark gray is an outstanding player......the guy will just keep getting better and better.its a shame he's got a pretty weak break though but i'm sure hes working hard to improve it.

Roy Steffensen
10-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Ralf Souquet - winner Derby City Classic, winner of 2 of 6 Eurotour's this year, last years Captain
Tony Drago - MVP last year, Mosconi Cup arranged in his hometown, Predator 10-ball Champion, winner of 1 Eurotour
Niels Feijen - World 14-1 Champion, 3rd World Ten Ball, runner-up Qatar World 9-ball Open, top 3 on Eurotour-ranking, good Mosconi-cup stats
Mark Gray - Was on top of the Eurotour-ranking for almost a year, and won his spot. Didn't win any tournaments this year, but finished high in most of them, securing him enough points to top the ranking in September.
Mika Immonen - runner-up World Pool Masters, US Open Champion

Not on the team:
Darren Appleton, World Ten Ball Champion, 1 Eurotour win

The nr 1 on the Eurotour-ranking next September is guaranteed a spot. As of today, Ralf Souquet is the new leader.

If Mika Immonen had not won US Open, Darren Appleton would be in, imo

JCIN
10-29-2008, 12:41 PM
It really sucks that Daz didnt get on the squad. Glad Mika made it and he deserves the spot.

[Ric Flair Voice]In the end I guess it really doesnt matter because come December in some country no one in America knows the location of the US is going to stomp a mudhole in that Euro azz. You gotta walk that aisle......woooooooo[/Ric flair Voice] (Cue JAM's USA chant.....)

<------thinks pool should have Mean Gene do the interviews like back in the 80's

JXMIKE
10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Mark grey? really??

i can see tony being there cause its in malta but daz not being there is crazy.

btw when is the usa team being announced?

GordonRamsay
10-29-2008, 01:18 PM
boo... no Ronnie O.

well.... i saw that one coming though.

dynamite
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
thanks for kind words

i must say am deeply shocked and devastated to be honest..

but thats life i suppose!

good luck to lads that made it anyway

and mike sorry i couldnt do phone interview today

tmrw be good if ok with you

dynamite

jay helfert
10-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey Jay, why are there only 5 spots this year? Do you know?

They cut from six to five players last year. I think it is a cost decision, since each player is guaranteed 10K for playing, with the winning side receiving 20K each. Cutting two players saves Matchroom 30K. That will pay a lot of other bills/expenses/salaries. Every business is cost conscious these days.

MOJOE
10-29-2008, 02:54 PM
It does suck that a world champion does not get the chance to represent! Ouch, even if I will be rooting for good ole USA!!! Daz deserved the chance IMHO!

pooladdict
10-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I guess it says a lot about the current strength in European pool when the following title holders are not found strong enough to be part of the team:

World 10 ball Champion
World 9 ball Champion
European 9 ball Champion (S. Cohen)

Based on this, Europe has to be the favourites to take the title home, even if the US team have very strong and experienced players, they really havent won much last year - compared to the Euro players.

So Derekdisco, do you want to try to win your $20 back?:D

sjm
10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
As a fan of Team America, I'm glad to see Gray and Drago over Peach and Appleton. As a fan of Team Europe, I wouldn't like it, as Appleton won the World Ten Ball championship very recently and Peach just finished 9th in the US Open, meaning both are in solid form right now.

When selecting his Ryder Cup team, Paul Azinger made it clear that what interested him the most was "Who is playing well right now?" and his formula worked well. So, while I applaud Europe for having an objective system for choosing its team, I don't think they'll be putitng their best foot forward.

Still, team Europe looks pretty strong, and America will need to bring its best effort to capture the Mosconi Cup. Should be fun!

tjlmbklr
10-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Being from America I gotta root for the home team; but Niels is the Nuts. And Mika, I can't say i enjoy his personality but he did just come with a big win.

tjlmbklr
10-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Maybe I am a day late and a dollar short but when do we hear about the American team. Or was it already decided? I just hope my boy Rodney makes it again.!

sjm
10-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Maybe I am a day late and a dollar short but when do we hear about the American team. Or was it already decided? I just hope my boy Rodney makes it again.!

I believe that Johnny, Rodney and Shane have already been announced as selections, with the last two selections pending.

Nostroke
10-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Mike

Ill go with you on Darren but not Peach over Drago. Drago is stronger mentally imo, not to mention if he is on, he can demoralize you and your team in minutes.

Roy Steffensen
10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I would choose Tony Drago over Daryl Peach any day. Besides, this year Tony Drago has won the Predator 10-ball and an Eurotour, while Daryl Peach's best performance is 9th in US Open, I believe.

Tony is used to play tournaments with one table and lots of crowds. I guess he has played more tv-matches in his carrier than Team Europe and Team USA in total.

jay helfert
10-29-2008, 08:43 PM
I was informed by folks at Matchroom that the main reason they switched to five players, was that when each team had six players one of those players would not get to play enough. It was possible with the format for one player to be virtually left out, almost like an alternate. They prefer a format where all players on the team are integral to its success (or failure). Makes sense to me.

Let's see, Shane, Rodney, Johnny...then who??? I'm drawing a blank right now.

ob1-mackie
10-30-2008, 06:48 AM
I was informed by folks at Matchroom that the main reason they switched to five players, was that when each team had six players one of those players would not get to play enough. It was possible with the format for one player to be virtually left out, almost like an alternate. They prefer a format where all players on the team are integral to its success (or failure). Makes sense to me.

Let's see, Shane, Rodney, Johnny...then who??? I'm drawing a blank right now.
i'd say two of either cory,earl,larry nevel or charlie williams.would like to see earl and nevel but i reckon cory will get a spot

shir
10-30-2008, 06:53 AM
last 2 spots will be announced on the 31st according to the press release

tjlmbklr
10-30-2008, 07:52 AM
i'd say two of either cory,earl,larry nevel or charlie williams.would like to see earl and nevel but i reckon cory will get a spot

It's almost a shame to think Earl might not make it. Hopefully his crazy antics haven't swayed any decisions to be made. When he's on he's on. It's just to bad when he's off he has a tendency to just mentally give up. This isn't fair to his teammates especially Rodney.

However I am from WI and would love to see Nevel give his all.

And Cory's always a favorite as well.

Charlie I can deal without.
IMO

JXMIKE
10-30-2008, 10:04 AM

I can see charlie williams getting a spot ( at least there is a shot clock)
but what has larry nevel done this year i havent heard about him much this year i even heard larry was working in wisconcin and wasent playing pool much.

charlie bryant is playing good this year throw him into the mix.

Tim-n-NM
10-30-2008, 10:07 AM
They cut from six to five players last year. I think it is a cost decision, since each player is guaranteed 10K for playing, with the winning side receiving 20K each. Cutting two players saves Matchroom 30K. That will pay a lot of other bills/expenses/salaries. Every business is cost conscious these days.
Edited after Jay's last post. Thanks for the info.

suprnva
10-30-2008, 10:25 AM
but what has larry nevel done this year i havent heard about him much this year i even heard larry was working in wisconcin and wasent playing pool much.

Larry's 2008 results from the "AZ Files":

Payout Place Event
$785 10th place Derby City Classic Banks Division
$6,000 2nd place Derby City Classic One Pocket Division
$550 30th place Derby City Classic 9-Ball Division
$3,000 1st place Great Southern Billiard Tour Season Finale
$250 3rd place Grady's Open One Pocket Event
$500 1st place Grady's Open 9-Ball Banks Event
$400 3rd place Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$1,000 1st place Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$500 2nd place Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$2,200 2nd place Seminole Florida Pro Tour Stop
$705 1st place Southeast Open 9-Ball Tour Stop
$1,850 1st place Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour Open Division
$850 1st place Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$200 4th place Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$2,745 2nd place Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$100 5th place Great Southern Billiard Tour Stop
$200 9th place Breakers Open 9-Ball Event
$1,400 4th place Seminole Florida Pro Tour Stop
$1,000 1st place Jacoby Cues Carolina Tour Stop
$2,500 13th place US Open 9-Ball Championship

I know people are going to argue that there aren't any "major" wins on that list, but it's still more consistent then any other players out there for the year.

As for him not playing anymore, it didn't last very long. lol.

I feel Larry and Corey should fill the remaining spots.

JXMIKE
10-30-2008, 10:53 AM
once a pool player always a pool player.

even though he did win all those events sadly matchroom wont reconginze these wins theyre all about the us opens and the worlds this and that.

JXMIKE
10-30-2008, 10:55 AM

even though he did win all those events sadly matchroom wont reconginze these wins theyre all about the us opens and the world championships.

the word "world" is over used in pool.
damn double post.

suprnva
10-30-2008, 11:11 AM

even though he did win all those events sadly matchroom wont reconginze these wins theyre all about the us opens and the world championships.

the word "world" is over used in pool.
damn double post.

Sadly, you're correct. Just have to wait and see what they decide.

tjlmbklr
10-30-2008, 12:25 PM
I can see charlie williams getting a spot ( at least there is a shot clock)

charlie bryant is playing good this year throw him into the mix.
I think Nevel working was a temp thing. And I don't want to give any information that is supposed to be secret but I believe he's taking classes (or full flegded school maybe) for CNC programming. I know I have also heard he was going to be making cues so maybe the CNC will be used for that.

Support your local team I say. And if the USA doesn't have anyone to pick that they feel comfortable with then go with the crowd favorites and Nevel is one of mine! :grin: