PDA

View Full Version : one pocket weight ??

travisw
10-29-2008, 10:04 AM
How much heavier do you think it is to fade giving out 9-8 and the breaks opposed to playing 10-8 9-8.
Do you think you need to be winning the 10-8 9-8 game more than 75% of the time, 65%?

Just wondering ive been palyign this guy 10-8 9-8 for a while and have been winning at it consistently but have to play pretty well, He wants to switch it up, and it doesnt really seem to be that much more, but i have been thinking about it and it could be a bigger difference than i am origanally realizing.

Thanks for the input.
travis

Black-Balled
10-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Why don't you 2 just play 8-7 and not make us think so much...?

travisw
10-29-2008, 10:15 AM
lol, i actually would much rather give him 8-7 alternate break but he has this stupid 9-8 and the break in his head.

Cornerman
10-29-2008, 10:25 AM
65%

Fred

poolpop63
10-29-2008, 10:35 AM
He must think his break is worth 2 balls..... so ur playing him an equivalent of 11-8 or 9-6 depending on how early he makes a few balls. Giving up the break is pretty big ..... I can't even guess at what percentage u need to win to give up the break but I think what ever it is.... ur win % will go down without ur break if this guy can play at all. If he can't play it may not matter. I played a guy that couldn't play and had to give 11-8 the break and 2 pockets to one ( a front to a front and same side back). Not that I'm good but in this case good enough. So u need to weigh ur ability in this matchup. Most people don't realize the mental aspect in making a game. Try ur same game (10-8..9-8) but try his 2 breaks to one to see how it goes, then adjust from there.

Pinocchio
10-29-2008, 11:29 AM
If you figure the break to be worth a ball an onehalf, your actually going to be giving up something. Before you were giving up 1/2 ball on your break an 9 to 8 on his, not much weight. If you give up the break this will probably be the end of your funhouse. Try to get a ball spot that you are comfortable giving up. If you decide to go with the break always have your opponent rotate pockets after every game...........
Pinocchio
Only give up the break as a last resort.

LSU1018
10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
It really depends on how good his break his. Do you normally have trouble getting out of his break. If not, it might not be that bad. Also, you can basically look at it as only giving up half the breaks b/c the other half the time, he would be breaking anyway.

travisw
10-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the feed back everyone. Basically i think im going to try and find a differnt game (9-7, 8-7) if hell go for it.
Manly b/c i dont have confidence in it right now.
and im my mind, No confidence, NO shot.

-travis

1 Pocket Ghost
10-29-2008, 03:39 PM
How much heavier do you think it is to fade giving out 9-8 and the breaks opposed to playing 10-8 9-8.

Thanks for the input.
travis

You'd be giving him approx. a ball more, giving him the 9-8 and the breaks.

- Ghost

enzo
10-29-2008, 04:38 PM
ohhhgabooga oohhhgaaaa, forgive me there is no delete post :(

androd
10-29-2008, 06:25 PM
If you figure the break to be worth a ball an onehalf, your actually going to be giving up something. Before you were giving up 1/2 ball on your break an 9 to 8 on his, not much weight. If you give up the break this will probably be the end of your funhouse. Try to get a ball spot that you are comfortable giving up. If you decide to go with the break always have your opponent rotate pockets after every game...........
Pinocchio
Only give up the break as a last resort.
sometimes the break isn't much ,sometimes it's the whole game. the longer you play the stronger the break becomes. if you give up the break, make sure he rotates pockets. the game 9-7 & 8-7 can be tough with your opponent going to one less ball. it's more than it sounds like.

masonh
10-29-2008, 07:03 PM
depends on the table and the way the guy breaks.

Pinnochio is right,make sure he alternates sides when he breaks,otherwise the spot will get even tougher.