PDA

View Full Version : talk about getting some perspective!

BHQ
10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
i'm not what you would call a sore loser, but last wed nite, i played in a little $5 blind draw partner 8 ball tourney they have every wed at the local vfw
my partner on this particular nite, butch, usually shoots pretty damn good
a lot of those old ww2 vets play fairly decent at thier age
butch tanked two easy straight in shots on the 8 to knock us out
i wasn't pissed or anything like that, it is all in fun, but i admit, i was disappointed

now for the perspective part:
butch left the vfw, made it less than two miles and died of a heart attack sitting at a red light
he died with his foot on the brake and somehow, the car never moved forward
there was a cop right behind him
when the light changed and butch didnt go on, of course the cop got out to see what the problem was and found him dead slumped over onto the steering wheel
i'm going to the vfw again tonite and have a couple beers for my old buddy butch
and i dont give a hoot if my partner or i miss every shot

Black-Balled
10-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Wow.

I shall have my next for the Man too!

Maniac
10-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Tomorrow night at the bar, I'm gonna throw back a shot of Crown for Butch, and for you my friend, as this has got to be somewhat of an unsettling circumstance for you to deal with. Also, prayers go out to Butch's family!!!

Maniac

rossaroni
10-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Nice post. Sad story, but thanks for posting it.

metallicane
10-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Wow. Scary stuff. Throw one back for me too. RIP Butch.

speakers
10-29-2008, 01:42 PM
WOW!! That certainly does put things into perspective. Not only does it make you realize how precious life is, but also how much each person can affect somebody else's life. Just imagine, YOU were pretty much the last person that Butch interacted with. That was his last impression of this world.

I'll cheer to Butch too. And, I'll take a moment to consider those around me and reflect on how I treat them and appreciate them for how they treat me.

supergreenman
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Hope I get to play pool on the day I meet my maker..

poolplayer2093
10-29-2008, 03:10 PM
at least he got to play a few games the day he died. you're right though that does make you think

The King
10-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Dang that is sad ... and scary seeing my name is Butch also I'm going to sell the Break Cue Brent made for me ... This is very scary stuff ...

But seriously I had a freind go out like this also or similar ... And all I can say is at least he died doing what he loved ...

jgpool
10-29-2008, 03:23 PM
i'm not what you would call a sore loser, but last wed nite, i played in a little $5 blind draw partner 8 ball tourney they have every wed at the local vfw
i wasn't pissed or anything like that, it is all in fun, but i admit, i was disappointed

butch left the vfw, made it less than two miles and died of a heart attack sitting at a red light
when the light changed and butch didnt go on, of course the cop got out to see what the problem was and found him dead slumped over onto the steering wheel
i'm going to the vfw again tonite and have a couple beers for my old buddy butch

Sorry to hear about your friend. Make it a positive by keeping the perspective close at hand.

JoeyA
10-29-2008, 05:02 PM

Thank you for serving.

Tonight, please toss back one or two for me and give a salute to Butch for me and all the veterans that have served our country.

Death, brush with death or simply loss is sure to put things in proper perspective in a hurry.

It's strange that death, near death experiences and just a simple loss of something or someone we took for granted, helps us to reflect upon ourselves to become a better person.

JoeyA

sjm
10-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for sharing this story.

Many a pool player has died in their car. I'm just glad that this one was an old man who, presumably, led a full life. Two friends of so many of us on the forum, Tony Ellin and Cisero Murphy, in accidents, also died in their cars, but neither died as a senior citizen.

Every day that you llive is a treasure, and there is no guarantee that tomorrow will be as bright. So make sure you shoot pool today!

Perspective indeed.

Nostroke
10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for sharing this story.

Many a pool player has died in their car. I'm just glad that this one was an old man who, presumably, led a full life. Two friends of so many of us on the forum, Tony Ellin and Cisero Murphy, in accidents, also died in their cars, but neither died as a senior citizen.

Every day that you llive is a treasure, and there is no gurantee that tomorrow will be as bright. So make sue you shoot pool today!

Perspective indeed.

Wow-That's two things i didnt know about Cisero. Thought he was SS and had not heard the car thing at all. OTOH I AM a SS and probably heard the car thing and then forgot it.:smile:

BHQ
10-30-2008, 11:12 AM
thanks everyone
it was kind of somber last nite at the vfw

Milo
10-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow, sad story.
Perspective does alot for the heart and soul.
When my mom died in a motorcycle accident on May 13th, 2005, It gave me quite a bit of perspective. Im a different person now.
I will also have a beer for Butch.:)

Ktown D
10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Brent, that is a tough deal there brother. I'm sure you guys threw up a toast for the old boy last night. I guess if you gotta go, I could think of worse ways to cash in.

cuenut
10-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Sounds like it was really quick, with no suffering. That would be my way if I had to pick one.

FAST_N_LOOSE
10-30-2008, 03:05 PM
It's A Sad Story, But We All Need To Be Reminded Of How Short Our Time Here Is.

Thanks For The Reminder.

ironman
10-31-2008, 05:04 AM

Years ago while on the road I ended up playing a guy in Santa Rosa New Mexico. The bet had gotten up there and we were both drinking and talking pretty loudly and really giving each other the business. It was okay, just part of the game rally.

I was up several games and he was shooting when after making a ball he stood straight up turned rather pale and had a rather peculiar look on his face. I asked if he was alright when he ordered me to just shut up. He then walked into the rest room.

As I said, we were a bit loud with each other, but things were friendly enogh but after several minutes I got a bit concerned as his attitude really took an abrupt change. After several minutes I went into the rest room and there he was on the floor,,,,DEAD.

I was young,cocky, arrogant, and invincible up until that moment. That event had a profound influence on my life and was the reason I broke many bad habits. I think that that was the day I learned what real fear is. God, 40 years can go so quickly.

kaznj
10-31-2008, 05:21 AM
It certainly does put things in perspective.

AnitoKid
10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for sharing the story. Sorry to hear about your buddy.

sjm
10-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Your friend Butch, a World War II veteran, certainly made his mark at an early age, as have so many of those that have served in the armed forces.

Some people have their greatest impact later in life.

Still others die at the very moment they attain the status or position enabling them to have their greatest impact. As I've noted already in this thread, Cisero Murphy is another pool player who died in his car, and he is a good, but sad, example of this point.

Cisero was the first African American inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame. His story was a remarkable one, as he was denied far too many opportunities to compete against pool's most elite because of his race. He was a fantastic player, and his Hall of Fame induction, it seemed, enabled him to light the spark for greater participation in pro pool by African Americans.

Just months after his BCA hall of fame induction in the mid-1990's, though, Cisero died behind the wheel of his car. What impact he would have had on African American participation in pool is one of pool's saddest "what ifs," as so few of his race have followed in Cisero's footsteps.

Tom M
10-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for sharing that story. As a group, these WWII vets are representative of a different breed: intrepid, courageous, dutiful etc. It is a great loss to the rest of us that so many of them are coming to the conclusion of their lives. We seem to have so few role models with these qualities nowadays.

Here's to Butch! It's nice that you got to share his last table time with him!

Tom