PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in the balls

travisw
10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Ive never heard of anyone doing it, so i was wondering if there is a negative side to tapping in a full rack on a table that is mainly used for one pocket??

TXsouthpaw
10-29-2008, 03:46 PM
someones gonna say that if u slow roll a ball over the rack area itll roll off. Its not true. They tap tables all the time overseas and it doesnt affect the game. Other than that i cant think of any negatives

Bob Jewett
10-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Ive never heard of anyone doing it, so i was wondering if there is a negative side to tapping in a full rack on a table that is mainly used for one pocket??
I think the main problem is that if the table already has significant craters due to nine ball or eight ball or even lots of other play, it will be real hard to establish craters where you want them. One possibility is to rack at the other end, but that's inconvenient on a ball return table. It doesn't cost much to try. You have to be careful to have the craters slightly closer together than the diameters of the balls you're using.

KoolKat9Lives
10-29-2008, 04:40 PM
I saw some (ball on ball) tapping going on at the Open last week. It surely didn't help on one table when they stopped their match - they could not agree on an acceptable rack, even with the ref doing the tapping, and a bazillion aborted rack attempts. It must have been over 30 minutes of trying. A TON of matches were consistently delayed due to racking issues.

Brand new Diamonds, brand new Super Aramiths, brand new Delta rack. I don't get it... Maybe someone here can explain how tapping can assist, and how to tap so racking is not so difficult? Or ?

Bob Jewett
10-29-2008, 05:09 PM
I saw some (ball on ball) tapping going on at the Open last week. It surely didn't help on one table when they stopped their match - they could not agree on an acceptable rack, even with the ref doing the tapping, and a bazillion aborted rack attempts. It must have been over 30 minutes of trying. A TON of matches were consistently delayed due to racking issues.

Brand new Diamonds, brand new Super Aramiths, brand new Delta rack. I don't get it... Maybe someone here can explain how tapping can assist, and how to tap so racking is not so difficult? Or ?
You have to do the tapping with a special template in which the holes are slightly closer than 2.25 inches. That assures that the balls will be leaning against each other even if some are slightly the wrong size or oval. If the table is "tapped" you can simply roll the balls into the craters without any rack at all. In fact, I think it's a bad idea to use a rack on such a table because it might cause you to get the balls in the wrong positions.