Fatboy
10-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Awalys find a way to win....:thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8EgKBmLG4s&feature=related

Bob Jewett
10-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Always find a way to win....:thumbup:

I think that's the hardest out at 8 ball I've ever seen. If he ever learns to control the cue ball, he could be a player.

Quesports
10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Semih is just an amazing billiard player!

smashmouth
10-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Semih makes that final shot 8/10 attempts, a top pool kicker like Efren , maybe 5

GordonRamsay
10-29-2008, 07:30 PM
HOLY CRAP.

:speechless:

onepocket1
10-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Semih is the GREAT Entertainer !!

Fatboy
10-29-2008, 07:37 PM
I think that's the hardest out at 8 ball I've ever seen. If he ever learns to control the cue ball, he could be a player.

he made it hard, until he had a kick shot he was introuble/looked weak, he is just beyond amazing, I think perhaps he is the best all time 3C player, he has ran 31 and is amazing at artistic billiards and trick shots-other than play pool he is the best.

Drawman623
10-29-2008, 07:59 PM
If I could kick like that, I wouldn't play shape either!

Ky Boy
10-29-2008, 08:00 PM
FB,

Didn't I read in another thread you were only going to use 4 letter words in pm's???

Now you started a thread with one!!!:rotflmao:

That is funny!! j/k Thanks for the link!!;)

Gary

he made it hard, until he had a kick shot he was introuble/looked weak, he is just beyond amazing, I think perhaps he is the best all time 3C player, he has ran 31 and is amazing at artistic billiards and trick shots-other than play pool he is the best.

1 Pocket Ghost
10-29-2008, 08:02 PM
He didn't give that 8 ball much chance to roll off did he.....lol

Fatboy
10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
FB,

Didn't I read in another thread you were only going to use 4 letter words in pm's???

Now you started a thread with one!!!:rotflmao:

That is funny!! j/k Thanks for the link!!;)

Gary

LOL oops, i'm hopeless, **** :thumbup:

SlickRick_PCS
10-29-2008, 09:56 PM

LOL, this is why I love Carom! :clapping:

rossaroni
10-29-2008, 10:05 PM
I think perhaps he is the best all time 3C player, he has ran 31 and is amazing at artistic billiards and trick shots-other than play pool he is the best.

I think Raymond or Willie might beg to differ about Semih being the greatest 3C player of all time. Although Raymond seems so humble and down to earth, that he may not plead his own case about being the greatest. If you are talking about trick shots, entertainment value, and tourney play(which I think you may be talking about), then you may have a point. His tricks shots are pretty awesome. Some of them take me 2 or even 3 tries to do!:p

JusticeNJ
10-29-2008, 11:31 PM
ive always been a fan of blomdahl. after watching a few of his accu stats videos, i've always wondered if he is safeable. seriously. what are the odds of getting ball in hand if you play 9 ball with these guys. ever.

justin.

Fatboy
10-30-2008, 12:15 AM
I think Raymond or Willie might beg to differ about Semih being the greatest 3C player of all time. Although Raymond seems so humble and down to earth, that he may not plead his own case about being the greatest. If you are talking about trick shots, entertainment value, and tourney play(which I think you may be talking about), then you may have a point. His tricks shots are pretty awesome. Some of them take me 2 or even 3 tries to do!:p

I meant in overall terms-entertainer, tricks, tournment,artistic, origoanl shots-he is the whole package, But interms of just a tournment player then he has competition, however he does share the all time high run 31, I wonder how long thats going to last?? 3C is a hell'uv a game. was that a 6 letter word??

rossaroni
10-30-2008, 12:19 AM
however he does share the all time high run 31, I wonder how long thats going to last??

Not very long. I just have to wait to get my billiard cue out of the shop. I will let everyone know when I break the record.

Fatboy
10-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Not very long. I just have to wait to get my billiard cue out of the shop. I will let everyone know when I break the record.

LOL thats to strong!!!

jay helfert
10-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Maybe I watched the wrong tape. What I saw was a guy who shot the wrong ball like three times, and played some bad position along with it. He had to get lucky kicking in the eight ball. From what I saw he would have no chance with any top pool player at Eight Ball.
Yes he is a great 3C player, but he better stick to that game. :D

RonsTheOne
10-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Maybe I watched the wrong tape. What I saw was a guy who shot the wrong ball like three times, and played some bad position along with it. He had to get lucky kicking in the eight ball. From what I saw he would have no chance with any top pool player at Eight Ball.

Hey Jay,
I can see what your saying about him shooting the wrong balls. But I went back and watch the video again, after reading your post, and I think it could be him just being the showman he is.....Ron

Impact Blue
10-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Sang sang sang, all day....

Anyway, pretty cool out! thanks for the linkage.

$TAKE HOR$E
10-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Well I think your post is way out of line for one thing. By watching that video it doesnt look like he would have a chance playing a good short stop......LOL. I have seen him play eightball before I hope that was just a show for the crowd.

Drawman623
10-30-2008, 04:10 AM
ive always been a fan of blomdahl. after watching a few of his accu stats videos, i've always wondered if he is safeable. seriously. what are the odds of getting ball in hand if you play 9 ball with these guys. ever.

justin.
Bet they've never been corner hooked!

Bloomdahl is a strong 9-ball player too.

Black-Balled
10-30-2008, 06:04 AM
he made it hard Yes, he did. Like drunk driving.

I think perhaps he is the best all time 3C player, he has ran 31 and is amazing at artistic billiards and trick shots-other than play pool he is the best.
Blomdahl will fight you both over that!

bud green
10-30-2008, 06:41 AM
While Semih is busy having his career ruined by Turkish politics, Dick Jaspers looks to be the one to take over billiards from Blomdahl.

Semih and Daniel Sanchez are fantastic players, as well as some of the other Europeans like Forthomme, but Jaspers is the only one getting close to Blomdahl, Ceulemens and the old time legends IMO at this point.

eze123
10-30-2008, 07:32 AM
I meant in overall terms-entertainer, tricks, tournment,artistic, origoanl shots-he is the whole package, But interms of just a tournment player then he has competition, however he does share the all time high run 31, I wonder how long thats going to last?? 3C is a hell'uv a game. was that a 6 letter word??

Not long. Jaspers ran a 34 a little while back.

jay helfert
10-30-2008, 07:41 AM

That's insane! I can't even comprehend somebody running that many billiards. To me that's just as impressive as running over 500 balls in Straight Pool.

My pool equivalent to billiards would be something like this. Running 10 in 3C would compare to running 100 in 14.1, very good players will occasionally do it. Running 15 compares with running 200, a rare feat in both games. Running 20 is like running 300, extremely rare in either game. Running 25 is like running over 400, almost off the charts. And running 30 is like running 500+, just about a world record in either game.

scottjen26
10-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Jay, your equivalent ratings between 3C and 14.1 are right on I think. I used to play 3C a lot, have a lot of tapes/DVDs/books at home, reached a point where I was pretty decent (.6 - .7) and finally did manage to run 10, but was more happy with my consistency. Certainly teaches you a lot about controlling the balls, and improves your kicking/banking/safety play in pool. Unfortunately no tables here in Jacksonville, so I'm not able to play anymore - I miss it...

My high run in straight pool is 72, but I don't play often at all. I think, just maybe, if I concentrated on the game for a couple months I could get back to that point again and maybe, maybe have a chance to run 100. I think the third part of the trifecta is having a hundred break in snooker - for me, that's just unreachable, I ran 49 points once and was elated...

I think it was Don Feeney back in Chicago that I heard has accomplished all 3 feats. If so, I think he's in a select group...
Scott

jay helfert
10-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Jay, your equivalent ratings between 3C and 14.1 are right on I think. I used to play 3C a lot, have a lot of tapes/DVDs/books at home, reached a point where I was pretty decent (.6 - .7) and finally did manage to run 10, but was more happy with my consistency. Certainly teaches you a lot about controlling the balls, and improves your kicking/banking/safety play in pool. Unfortunately no tables here in Jacksonville, so I'm not able to play anymore - I miss it...

My high run in straight pool is 72, but I don't play often at all. I think, just maybe, if I concentrated on the game for a couple months I could get back to that point again and maybe, maybe have a chance to run 100. I think the third part of the trifecta is having a hundred break in snooker - for me, that's just unreachable, I ran 49 points once and was elated...

I think it was Don Feeney back in Chicago that I heard has accomplished all 3 feats. If so, I think he's in a select group...
Scott

Scott,

I've never done any of the three, but I'm still young. I have lots of time to improve :smile: . Coincidentally, my high run in 14.1 is also 72. Probably my greatest feats on a pool table are kicking in four balls in a row in a match (I got hooked each time). These were not easy kicks either. None of the four balls was close to the pocket, and I kicked them all straight in! And I have banked all nine balls in Short Rack Banks two or three times.

Small solace for a lifetime shortstop.

Black-Balled
10-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Sorry to go out on a tangent...

My limited exposure to billiards' history leaves me with the thought that the US had the best players in the World (up to the 50's?), but the game has obviously fallen out of favor domestically. Why is this?

It is an awesome game- equally as cool and possibly more tortuous than pocket billiards- and the advances in technology that billiards equipment has seen puts pool to shame. Point being, R/D $ is there because there is a market for it. Why are the Euros the only ones who are keeping the flame burning?

And for those who don't know, check out what I just bought!

mbvl
10-30-2008, 08:28 AM

Sort of. He was playing 15 point games. In the first game he ran 13 and out. In the second game he ran 15 and out. In the third game he made 6 from the break. That's 34 in a row without a miss, but does it count as a 34 billiard "run"? No matter, it's still incredible, and I would rank Jaspers ahead of Sayginer right now.

Mark

smashmouth
10-30-2008, 08:36 AM
34 trumps Mosconi's 500 run on the 8 footer imo, by a longshot

I'm thinking a 34 is maybe equal to a 500 run on a 9 footer or 3 consecutive 147's on a snooker table (the top snooker guys have been known to shoot two in a row during practice)

hard to say with straight pool because endurance/boredom/health/time all play factors in the big runs

if the world pool championships were decided by straight pool high runs, I think you would see players destroy the 500 mark

Duane Tuula
10-30-2008, 08:46 AM
My pool equivalent to billiards would be something like this. Running 10 in 3C would compare to running 100 in 14.1, very good players will occasionally do it. Running 15 compares with running 200, a rare feat in both games. Running 20 is like running 300, extremely rare in either game. Running 25 is like running over 400, almost off the charts. And running 30 is like running 500+, just about a world record in either game.

IMO, I like your comparison but the numbers should be slightly higher by about 20%. Dallas West has countless 100+ runs in 14.1 and claims a 26 in 3c. I'll check with him to get a comparison.

eze123
10-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Sort of. He was playing 15 point games. In the first game he ran 13 and out. In the second game he ran 15 and out. In the third game he made 6 from the break. That's 34 in a row without a miss, but does it count as a 34 billiard "run"? No matter, it's still incredible, and I would rank Jaspers ahead of Sayginer right now.

Mark

Yeah, question of definition I guess. I think you almost have to count it, maybe unofficially, being as they're playing generally 15, 30, 40, or 50 point games. Even at a 50 point game, if you're capable of running 30+, what are the odds that you're going to get the run right at the beginning of the match? At 15 point games, you have no chance of breaking a record. Anyway, 34 without a miss is pretty superhuman no matter how you look at it.

stick8
10-30-2008, 08:55 AM

He played it wrong and got hooked. his play was to thin stripe leave qb on top rail behind 8ball !!! got lucky!!!:frown: ;) ;) ;)

smashmouth
10-30-2008, 11:06 AM
alot of oldtime pool players claim high runs in 3c

granted, they did play the game more than today's guys but......

scottjen26
10-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Scott,

I've never done any of the three, but I'm still young. I have lots of time to improve :smile: . Coincidentally, my high run in 14.1 is also 72. Probably my greatest feats on a pool table are kicking in four balls in a row in a match (I got hooked each time). These were not easy kicks either. None of the four balls was close to the pocket, and I kicked them all straight in! And I have banked all nine balls in Short Rack Banks two or three times.

Small solace for a lifetime shortstop.

The kick shots are impressive, as are the runout in banks. I think the high runs in the other games come with experience and playing that particular game a lot. I myself tend to be very consistent and not have wild swings in any sport I play, so when I ran 10 in 3 cushion (and missed #11 by 1/4", as is typical in the game) I regularly ran 5 or 6, at least once each session, and had already run 7's and 8's a dozen or more times and a 9 once or twice. The 70 plus in straight pool was hard, the closer you get the more nervous you get. My typical high run every game or two was in the 3 rack range (30 - 40), I think I had only run over 50 once or twice before. My run ended with too straight of a break shot, and I hit the rack but nothing came out that was pocketable. It came toward the end of playing 5 or 6 games of straight pool a week for a month or two.

Oh well, a great game, and one of these days I'm going to start playing more regularly again, I've got several good books and videos I can re-read or re-watch to get back in the swing again. It definitely helps the 9 and 10 ball game...
Scott

Patrick Johnson
10-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Semih makes that final shot 8/10 attempts, a top pool kicker like Efren , maybe 5

I'm doubting both.

pj
chgo

TimurA
10-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Johan Ruijsink,Mosconi Cup Captain of European Team ,was among spectators in a 3C tournament organized by AGIPI in 2008.He was not very talkative about why he was there but he said in an interview:'Semih has a great ,great arm .One day I want to see him play pool'.İt is only my speculation but I thought that Ruijsink was present becouse of Semih Saygıner (he knew Saygıner 's participation to 3C world cup events was banned by The Turkish Federation and he was free at that time)he probably offered a seat to Saygıner in the Mosconi Team but I speculate again that Saygıner cleverly refused.

My country man is a monster on 3C table but the video shows a man who cannot control the cue ball on a pool table.

His background is as far as I know straight rail.He was scoring thousands of points(caroms) in one inning in that game in his twenties but he has been playing 3C for maybe more twenty years professionally and very accustomed to 3C speeds and He did not grow up in a pool environment like Reyes and I do not think that he played much pool in his life so some of his ineffeciency in pool table is understandable

Regards,

Bob Jewett
10-30-2008, 02:06 PM
... so some of his inefficiency in pool table is understandable
I've seen him play pool when he wanted to play well, and he is not inefficient. I've also seen him play when he was not interested in playing correctly, as in the video. I'd like to see him in a pool competition.

eze123
10-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I've seen him play pool when he wanted to play well, and he is not inefficient. I've also seen him play when he was not interested in playing correctly, as in the video. I'd like to see him in a pool competition.

I agree - looks to me like a casual game. Not talking about 3C players in general, but anyone at Carom Cafe can back up that Blomdahl and Semih can play very good pool. Semih can be spotty, Blomdahl is deadly at any game with a cue and balls, he made a good run at 5 pins when he put his mind to it. Wei documented a great one cushion shot that he made.

Blomdahl did take Reyes on the 3C-9ball challenge too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEGYPzc3ywg&feature=related

Fatboy
10-30-2008, 10:06 PM

My limited exposure to billiards' history leaves me with the thought that the US had the best players in the World (up to the 50's?), but the game has obviously fallen out of favor domestically. Why is this?

It is an awesome game- equally as cool and possibly more tortuous than pocket billiards- and the advances in technology that billiards equipment has seen puts pool to shame. Point being, R/D $ is there because there is a market for it. Why are the Euros the only ones who are keeping the flame burning?

3C is a triple cool game, LOL seriously I dont understand why it's dead here, perhaps stupid average americans just cant see the beatuy in it because it isnt in neon colors.

Fatboy
10-30-2008, 10:10 PM

Bob whats your high run in 3C? thanks in advance. :)

jay helfert
10-30-2008, 11:21 PM
I ran two once and then I got hooked. :grin:

smashmouth
10-31-2008, 03:52 AM
the demise of both carom and 10 ft pool tables (they often went hand in hand) is very sad

I would like to hear some of the historians chime in on this

jay helfert
10-31-2008, 05:42 AM
the demise of both carom and 10 ft pool tables (they often went hand in hand) is very sad

I would like to hear some of the historians chime in on this

I don't know if I am a historian, but in my youth nearly every poolroom of note had a Snooker table and a Billiard table. And that was in Ohio. By the 70's these tables were being removed and replaced with pool tables. As a proprietor you didn't want empty tables on a busy Saturday night.

In my first poolroom in Bakersfield, I had two Snooker tables and 20 pool tables. On busy nights I would actually rent them out with pool balls on them, and people would take them! I finally broke down and replaced them with four bar tables. It boosted my income by $200 a week, serious money in the early 70's.

In business, the customer gets the biggest vote.

Black-Balled
10-31-2008, 05:56 AM
I don't know ...I finally broke down and replaced them with four bar tables. It boosted my income by $200 a week, serious money in the early 70's...

Based on available info, I have determined that Jay Helfert is responsible for the demise of 3c.:wink:

eze123
10-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm going to put that in the wikipedia entry for billiards: "The decline of billiards in the U.S. can be directly attributed to Jay Helfert".

philw
10-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Jay Helfert was around before history was invented.

JPB
10-31-2008, 09:06 PM

Well, one reason might be the fact that billiards is popular in continental Europe. In the early part of the 20th century there were well-known European players. In 1914 some events happened in Europe, and Sayginer's home country for that matter. When pool and billiards were hugely popular in the US in the '20's, things maybe weren't as good there. And then the second war came along and affected all the billiard playing countries probably proportionately worse than the US. Billiards was slipping in the US in the '50's, but you had by far the richest country around in the post war boom. When did Ceulemans come into prominence? Early '60's maybe? OK I wikied him and he was born in 1937 and started winning titles in 1961. So he was too young to fight in the war and obv wasn't killed in it and then grew up in a more peaceful era. So then billiards died in the US and the European billiards playing countries got back to normal life. I don't know how much of an effect the wars had, but IMO it is necessary to look at world events when American dominance in a given era is discussed. As for really gifted players, you just need a population base and the game to be popular, and once in a while a great one will be there. Wars that kill off huge percentages of a population or disrupt life will have an impact on how many great players in any sport will develop. I don't know the casualty numbers, but in glancing at some stats saw France lost 1.4 million soldiers in WWI. Oh, yeah, and the flu epidemic killed 50 million I read. So no wonder the best players for a while were in tthe US, which while we fought the wars and lost people in the epidemic, had an ocean on each side, neighbors that couldn't overthrow us, and more prosperity during these periods. And once the game fell out of favor here, it is no surprise that the best players come from elsewhere.

Fatboy
10-31-2008, 09:34 PM
i was at about 33 last night got distracted and ran alot more-shame i lost count so the record is now unknown. ;)

eze123
10-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Well, one reason might be the fact that billiards is popular in continental Europe. In the early part of the 20th century there were well-known European players. In 1914 some events happened in Europe, and Sayginer's home country for that matter. When pool and billiards were hugely popular in the US in the '20's, things maybe weren't as good there. And then the second war came along and affected all the billiard playing countries probably proportionately worse than the US. Billiards was slipping in the US in the '50's, but you had by far the richest country around in the post war boom. When did Ceulemans come into prominence? Early '60's maybe? OK I wikied him and he was born in 1937 and started winning titles in 1961. So he was too young to fight in the war and obv wasn't killed in it and then grew up in a more peaceful era. So then billiards died in the US and the European billiards playing countries got back to normal life. I don't know how much of an effect the wars had, but IMO it is necessary to look at world events when American dominance in a given era is discussed. As for really gifted players, you just need a population base and the game to be popular, and once in a while a great one will be there. Wars that kill off huge percentages of a population or disrupt life will have an impact on how many great players in any sport will develop. I don't know the casualty numbers, but in glancing at some stats saw France lost 1.4 million soldiers in WWI. Oh, yeah, and the flu epidemic killed 50 million I read. So no wonder the best players for a while were in tthe US, which while we fought the wars and lost people in the epidemic, had an ocean on each side, neighbors that couldn't overthrow us, and more prosperity during these periods. And once the game fell out of favor here, it is no surprise that the best players come from elsewhere.

Say again?