PDA

View Full Version : OB-1 or Predator 314-2?

gunzby
10-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I posted this in the Cue Reviews too, but thought that it would be appropriate for here as well since I'm not actually reviewing and would just like opinions.

I already have an OB-1 for my DP cue and am very happy with it. I plan on selling off my Joss to get another DP cue and will be getting either an OB-1 or a 314-2 for it. Before I am asked as to why I am dumping a Joss for a DP I have had that Joss for over 12 years and would just like something different.

Does the 314-2 feel more solid than an OB-1? This is something I was most impressed with as far as the OB-1 shaft is concerned and it really is the deciding factor with me.

iowa_player
10-29-2008, 11:05 PM
I posted this in the Cue Reviews too, but thought that it would be appropriate for here as well since I'm not actually reviewing and would just like opinions.

I already have an OB-1 for my DP cue and am very happy with it. I plan on selling off my Joss to get another DP cue and will be getting either an OB-1 or a 314-2 for it. Before I am asked as to why I am dumping a Joss for a DP I have had that Joss for over 12 years and would just like something different.

Does the 314-2 feel more solid than an OB-1? This is something I was most impressed with as far as the OB-1 shaft is concerned and it really is the deciding factor with me.

I have a few of each shafts OB1's and 314-2 and for me it is no contest the 314-2 hits far better and has a lot more solid hit than the OB1 . This is just my opinion as we all know that what is a good hit varies depending on the player and what they like .

Hope this helps .... Larry

mosconiac
10-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Larry's right. I've been playing with a 314 for more than 10 years and recently bought an OB-1 just to try it out. After 9 months or so, I was forced to go back to a 314 when the tip popped off my OB-1. I have so much experience with the 314 that I made the transition quickly, but there are noticable differences between the two.

Compared to a 314, the OB-1 is a softer hit (which I happen to like), but it produces a little more CB deflection (which I don't like). Inside english feels natural with the 314, where I struggle a little with the OB-1 due to its higher deflection.

Although you didn't ask, I've also experimented with an X shaft. Its another step toward a traditional shaft so I consider it a middle-ground for those that don't like the feel of low deflection shafts, but want less deflection than what their traditional shaft produces. A firmer hit than 314 & OB-1, but not as firm as Schon or Joss.

I had a McDermott for a while that falls right between X & my old Schon/Joss shafts in firmness & deflection.

Of all the shafts I've played with, I rank their deflection like this (lowest to highest):

1) 314 (314-2 would be even better with Z being best)--lowest deflection, medium-soft hit
2) OB-1 (wonder how the OB-2 will stack up?)--low deflection, soft hit
3) X (I believe they have a revised design out now)--medium deflection, medium hit
4) McDermott standard shaft--medium-high deflection, medium-firm hit
5) Schon--high deflection, firm hit
6) Joss (about the same hit as a Schon, but more deflection)--highest deflection, firm hit

gunzby
10-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. This is pretty much what I have to go on since I don't know anyone that is using a 314-2 at the moment so I can't try it out before I buy.

The OB-1 does have a very soft hit which is something I really like about that shaft.

I'm thinking of going with the 314-2 for my other stick just so I can have something that would be considered an entirely different cue. On the plus side I already have a cue that would have the same joint with the OB-1 so I would really have two shafts that could fit two butts.

I thought about going with the Z, but they only seem to make them 11.75 I think? I've played with a thinner shaft and just didn't like it at all. I just used a 12mm and it makes me wonder how this guy I know can play so darn good with a 10mm.

tjlmbklr
10-30-2008, 08:19 AM
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t159/tjlmbklr/thisshitagain.jpg

I have had both. However my OB-1 was a 30" as apposed to the standard 29". I just had my 314-2 turned down to 12.25mm from the factory 12.75mm and I like it much better now.

And really, it's all about looks. The laminated ferrule on The OB-1 is unique and it doesn't seem to effect the sighting of your shots. But if you want to keep it traditional then the 314-2 is for you.

IMO